Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » February 25th, 2012, 10:15 pm

Black Chocolate Stout (10-11 edition)-Brooklyn Brewing

This RIS was a mere youngster only being brewed last year (well, technically fall, 2010) and aging for about 15 months but it was still highly quaffable. Not quite as smooth as a 2-3 year old version (or older) but still oily/thick/viscous and chewy. Same stats and thoughts as the 07-08 above with the same serving suggestions. They are sold in 4 packs for about $8 and well worth that price. No barrel aging or additives, just the 4 basic food groups of water, yeast, malted barley (and more malted barley) and hops. I may try one of the 08-09 versions tomorrow night.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 25th, 2012, 10:15 pm

Black Chocolate Stout (10-11 edition)-Brooklyn Brewing

This RIS was a mere youngster only being brewed last year (well, technically fall, 2010) and aging for about 15 months but it was still highly quaffable. Not quite as smooth as a 2-3 year old version (or older) but still oily/thick/viscous and chewy. Same stats and thoughts as the 07-08 above with the same serving suggestions. They are sold in 4 packs for about $8 and well worth that price. No barrel aging or additives, just the 4 basic food groups of water, yeast, malted barley (and more malted barley) and hops. I may try one of the 08-09 versions tomorrow night. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 28th, 2012, 4:34 pm

Miles Davis Bitches Brew-DFH Brewing

Oh, my, what a treat this was. Sold as a capped 750 ml bottle, this 18 month old (cellared from fall, 2010) gem was divided over 2 nights. It is a blended beer of 3/4 imperial stout (DFH does not have a classic or standard RIS) and 1/4 honey beer with gesho root ("The Rhamnus prinioides plant has many uses amongst the inhabitants of Africa. All parts of the plant are harvested and used for nutrition, medicine or religious purposes. In Ethiopia, where the plant is known as gesho, it is used in a manner similar to hops: the stems are boiled and the extract mixed with honey to ferment a mead called tej.[2] It is also used in the brewing of tella, an Ethiopian beer."). Fascinating concoction that pours almost black as night but with a little thinner body than your usual RIS due to the blending with the honey beer. The unsweetened dark chocolate flavor is balanced nicely with the honey and I am guessing there may be few hops in the brew as the gesho is used instead. IBU are fairly low at 38 (most RIS are 70-80 or higher) but the ABV is high at 9% but the booziness is minimal. The head is modest and the brew best enjoyed at slightly chilled temperatures by itself or with some decadent chocolate cake or other baked good. Not sure this is brewed anymore as it was a commemorative to the 40th anniversary of the release of his classic album.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 3rd, 2012, 5:15 pm

Gnomegang-Ommegang Brewing

I treated myself to this as part of a 3 pack of caged and corked 750 ml bottles before Christmas for pretty reasonable $25, including an Ommegang chalice/tulip glass. So, for that price, I got a Hennepin, a Three Philosophers and this one which is a strong Belgian golden/blonde style ale. It pours a cloudy, yellow-orange and has a nose of apples and pears with tastes of the same, some orange zest (from the wheat malt) and hints of black pepper, fairly typical from the Belgian yeasts used. It is rather fizzy with well-retained Belgian lace and a smooth, crisp, dry finish, somewhat attributable to the oats as part of the grains used in the brewing. Very easy on the palate with an IBU of 19 but with a potent ABV of 9.5%. This would be a great aperitif with a plate of soft/light cheeses or fruits, a dinner beverage with grilled fish, chicken or mussels, or as a digestif, by itself, or with a freshly baked fruit tart. Some interesting notes from the brewer:

The cheerful gnomes of Belgian farmstead Brasserie d ‘Achouffe dropped by the Brewery Ommegang farmstead brewery in the summer of 2010.

They brought with them a typically gnomic idea: why not co-create a totally new beer to bridge both farmsteads across the Atlantic Ocean? The beer happily evolved through multiple pilot brews and tastings, resulting in a strong Belgian Golden Ale using Chouffe yeast in the primary fermentation and Ommegang yeast in the secondary. The lushly fruity and spicy yeast is a signature found in every Chouffe beer, and the combination of their yeast, our brewing skills, and our own yeast yielded a unique, flavorful, and aromatic dose of brewing magic. The beer was deemed a big success by Chouffe gnomes and Ommegang alike, was christened Gnomegang, and went into commercial production as a Limited Edition Ommegang ale for sale beginning in the second quarter of 2011.
In appearance, Gnomegang is a rich, translucent gold, with a big, fluffy white head. The high-carbonation is readily apparent. The nose focuses on distinctive clove aromas, combined with yeasty fruitiness typical of Chouffe beers. Flavors include ripe fruit, clove, light caramel, non-cloying candy sweetness, smooth maltiness, and well-balanced hopping. Mouthfeel offers a big, round body with full, fine carbonation. The finish is dry and warming, lingering gracefully.

Gnomegang is available in 750ML corked bottles and 1/6 barrels. It is available all across the US, and ships beginning early March for sales beginning late March to early April.

Gnomegang Specs:
Style: Belgian-style Strong Blonde Ale
Malts: Pilsner, Carapils, Flaked Oats, flaked Red Wheat, Special B
Hops: two Saaz varieties, 3 additions
Spices: none
Sugar: yes
Yeast: Chouffe yeast in primary fermentation, Ommegang yeast in bottle conditioning
OG: 19.9 o Plato
FG: 2.9 o Plato
ABV: 9.5% abv
IBU: 19
750 ml bottle: Bottle-conditioned with Ommegang house yeast
1/6 bbl keg: Forced-carbonation

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 3rd, 2012, 5:19 pm

Fourteen-Weyerbacher

Well, I couldn't wait until this summer so I had my 2012 sampling of this last evening, about 4 months early, so now it is technically 3 years old. The additional aging has made it a bit more wine-like in character and a bit smoother but hasn't changed the moderate booziness or the citrusy aroma and tastes. I'll report back on my last bottle sometime early 2013 unless I get an offer or decide to trade it. I'm happy either way.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 3rd, 2012, 10:32 pm

Massive quantities of beer. That's what I need right now. SFD. :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 3rd, 2012, 11:19 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Massive quantities of beer. That's what I need right now. SFD. :9f:
I picked a bad time to have no beer in the house. X( X( X( X( :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » March 4th, 2012, 9:58 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Massive quantities of beer. That's what I need right now. SFD. :9f:
I picked a bad time to have no beer in the house. X( X( X( X( :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f:
No worries. I consumed much more than both our fair shares, last night...into early morning. :9f:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 4th, 2012, 4:00 pm

captmojo wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
No worries. I consumed much more than both our fair shares, last night...into early morning. :9f:
:text-threadjacked: :tease: :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 5th, 2012, 11:18 pm

Hop Stoopid-Lagunita Brewing

Tropicana grapefruit juice with caramel flavoring. That's meant to be descriptive, too, not derogatory. This was a bomber I split over a couple nights this weekend that I received as a gift from one of the drug reps that visits my office. I'll replace it at some point for him but it's a grocery store beer (Harris Teeter) and that's not a bad thing either because it was $5 for a 102 IBU hop bomb at 8% ABV. The hops are not overpowering at this level as they are well-balanced with caramel malts and lots of them. The high gravity falls a bit short of the standard IIPA but this is a good quality product. The pour was an slightly hazy, orange-yellow with a 2 fingered foamy head. Some piney notes are present in the hop profile, too. This would be a fine ale to have with Indian or moderately hot Chinese food and would be fine with BBQ fare, too. I have not been an ardent Lagunitas fan but sampling several of their ales this fall and winter have swayed my opinion.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 9th, 2012, 10:34 am

Two Women-New Glarus Brewing

A Wisconsin lager, and a solid one with some body and flavor, too. Named after the two ladies who run the malting company who provides grain for the brews and New Glarus itself, this slightly sweet and mildly hoppy brew is a nice session brew. I shared one of these with Lavabe last PM, along with the next brew and we were surprised and pleased. I received this as a trader from a drug rep who visited his family in Wisconsin over the holidays and it was just warm enough here last PM to uncap a lighter beer. Pours a light amber with a modest head and aroma of floral hops and light caramel malts with tastes to match. I could not find IBU or ABV but would estimate 20 and 5% respectively so this beverage is fine for tasting/sharing in an afternoon or eveing or serving with almost any mild dishes. And what better way to conclude a review than to say "I tasted Two Women" last evening :ymblushing: .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 9th, 2012, 5:05 pm

Spotted Cow-New Glarus Brewing

This farmhouse ale made a nice follow-up to the Two Women. It is a straw-colored and slightly hazy pour with fizz instead of foam and scents of flowers and tastes of crisp, slightly underripe apples and pears. No IBU or ABV stats to be found but there is little hop presence here so I'd guess 10-20 with an ABV of 5-6%. This would make a fine ale to sip on a warm/hot spring or summer day or with some fresh berries or any light fish or chicken dishes.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 14th, 2012, 9:00 pm

Matilda (4/11 bottling)-Goose Island Brewing

Very interesting brew. This is a Belgian style pale ale and the caramel malts dominate and there are notes of apples and pears but the truly fascinating qualities and flavors of this creamy, cloudy yellow-orange beverage originate from the yeast. Initially, I thought typical Belgian and peppery, but, after several sips from a tulip glass, I thought this is a bit barnyard-type funky and reading the bottle confirms that this is a Brettanomyces yeast brewed ale. IBU a bit low for a pale ale at 32 and ABV a shade high at 7% but this would pair nicely with soft cheeses during your pre-dinner snacking, or with spicy dishes for your entree. I wanted to wait a year before drinking (they say it will develop up to 5 years in the bottle) but just couldn't resist sharing this bomber a month early with Lavabe last week when he visited. After all, he did send it down over Christmas to help cover the cost of his wife's room and board over the holidays

Goose me!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 14th, 2012, 11:07 pm

IPA-Odell Brewing

Beer trip time. Nothing out of the ordinary, just a brew unavailable in NC so I bought a 6er this week while at a meeting in Colorado and sipped a couple and play to return to NC Friday with the remainder, along with some 90 Shilling I bought today.

This is a pretty standard session IPA with some grapefruit zest up front and some piney resins in the finish. Pours a golden-orange with a creamy head and the hops are well balanced with the lighter malts. IBU are 60 and the ABV is 7% so pretty standard for the style and a good match with BBQ fare or spicy foods. Would have been even finer to locate some of their Woodcut or Single Serve series, too.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 15th, 2012, 10:24 pm

90 Shilling Ale-Odell Brewing

I thought this was a Scotch ale by the name but it's really an amber and a good one, too. In fact, I'd take one of these over a Fat Tire. Pours a light brown with a mild foamy head and a bit of nuttiness and slight floral notes. Slightly sweet with minimal bitterness, checking in at 27 IBU with an ABV of 5.3% so I am using this as a "set-up" for my dessert beer tonight. It would also be fine at a cook out with chicken, burgers and steaks.

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » March 16th, 2012, 10:09 am

Founders is releasing its KENTUCKY BREAKFAST STOUT.

:-o :-\ :ymparty:

This sounds SO bizarre on so many counts. I can't wait for a review on this thread. :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 16th, 2012, 11:53 pm

Lavabe wrote:Founders is releasing its KENTUCKY BREAKFAST STOUT.

:-o :-\ :ymparty:

This sounds SO bizarre on so many counts. I can't wait for a review on this thread. :D
If you want a review on this thread, you had best get a 4 pack for me ASAP before it sells out and I will pick it up 6 weeks from now during our visit. :whistle: :-w
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » March 17th, 2012, 10:04 am

Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout: Here is the brewer's description (via www.ratebeer.com):
"A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew."

If there's a good price on a bomber, okay, I'll get it. Otherwise, I think this will be an expensive 4-pack. /:)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 17th, 2012, 4:16 pm

Lavabe wrote:Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout: Here is the brewer's description (via http://www.ratebeer.com):
"A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew."

If there's a good price on a bomber, okay, I'll get it. Otherwise, I think this will be an expensive 4-pack. /:)
I'll be up in 6 weeks. I would expect the 4 pack to be about $20 if they market it that way as they did about 3 years ago when I bought it at Liquor Barn, IIRC. I'll bring a Jackson (Andrew, not Michael ;) ) with me and a couple Georges to cover your outlay.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 17th, 2012, 6:51 pm

Cherry Chocolate Stout-Stone/Troegs Brewing

Fascinating story behind this brew, apparently entered at the last minute as a home brew in a contest last year. I am not that big a fan of fruit beers but this luscious concoction really impressed me. The pour is a deep brown with a hint of ruby, both in the body and creamy mocha head. There are hints of the same in the smells and tastes but the best way to describe the flavor is that of a dark chocolate covered bing cherry. The label also says vanilla beans and they are barely perceptible. Roasted bitterness from all the dark malts is present and hops are minimal, but I'd guess the IBU to be about 50 and the ABV is on the bottle as 7.3%, making this a bit more potent than a standard stout but not quite an imperial stout. Let this warm to cellar temperature, decant and enjoy for dessert tonight if you can find a bottle. I was lucky enough to stumble across one of these in a Colorado spirits store this week and paid $4.29 for the 12 ounce bottle. A bit spendy, but budlites were $4-5 for a bottle/draft and I found this to be far more rewarding and tasty :D .

The story:

http://www.stonebrew.com/news/110720pr/

The label/bottle: