LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by devildeac » December 31st, 2012, 8:52 pm

Congrats to AD for post #32K on this thread.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 31st, 2012, 9:52 pm

devildeac wrote:Congrats to AD for post #32K on this thread.
Thanks! Observant, I am. I didn't even notice. What is the world coming to.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 31st, 2012, 11:50 pm

I should have gone to bed. Whatever countdown show this is, absolutely sucks. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » January 1st, 2013, 12:37 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Paducah?

Maybe you should spray point a town sign:

Padukeh

and see how it goes over?
:spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork:
I'll second that!
I'll third it!

:spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork:
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 1st, 2013, 7:24 pm

Last month I bought pasta roller and cutter attachments for my Kitchen Aid mixer. I finally used it today to make homemade chicken and noodles. I have a few thoughts: why did I wait so long to buy it, and why did it take me a month to try it out? Seriously, best investment ever. Think I'll try my hand at homemade lasagna this weekend.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 1st, 2013, 8:28 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Last month I bought pasta roller and cutter attachments for my Kitchen Aid mixer. I finally used it today to make homemade chicken and noodles. I have a few thoughts: why did I wait so long to buy it, and why did it take me a month to try it out? Seriously, best investment ever. Think I'll try my hand at homemade lasagna this weekend.
Ymmmm, lasagna. What time is dinner? And what kind of wine should I bring?
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 2nd, 2013, 11:23 pm

Christian is home now. He is the sweetest child. While I was napping tonight, he remembered to plug in the Duke Basketball tree in time for the game.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 3rd, 2013, 4:00 pm

We got an email today regarding a training class where one of the criteria for selection reads thusly:

Demonstrated Sexual Assault Expertise: A law enforcement professional, victim advocate, or other team member with sexual assault expertise obtained through education, training, experience, or an acceptable combination thereof.

:-o :-o :-o :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 3rd, 2013, 4:44 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:We got an email today regarding a training class where one of the criteria for selection reads thusly:

Demonstrated Sexual Assault Expertise: A law enforcement professional, victim advocate, or other team member with sexual assault expertise obtained through education, training, experience, or an acceptable combination thereof.

So, if someone has been sexually assaulted, she has the expertise to attend (or teach) this class?

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 3rd, 2013, 6:38 pm

CathyCA wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:We got an email today regarding a training class where one of the criteria for selection reads thusly:

So, if someone has been sexually assaulted, she has the expertise to attend (or teach) this class?

Or, I suppose, if a person has sexually assaulted another, that person would have the expertise to attend, or teach. They could rename the class "Sexual Assault: what it is and how to do it."

Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 3rd, 2013, 9:02 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Or, I suppose, if a person has sexually assaulted another, that person would have the expertise to attend, or teach. They could rename the class "Sexual Assault: what it is and how to do it."

It took me 5 minutes to read this to Julie. I was laughing too hard to get words out. =)) =)) =))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 4th, 2013, 7:08 am

Wow, just wow. The line about experience blows my mind.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » January 4th, 2013, 8:28 am

Only in the world of lawyers! :-o
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 4th, 2013, 6:20 pm

I had a fun day today (in the sarcastic sense of the word). Wore a new pair of earrings to work; lost the stone from one of them. It's a Swarovski crystal; I think I can salvage the remaining one by converting it to a necklace. Maybe the local Kohl's will have another pair of earrings; that would give me a matching set (necklace and earrings). Wonder if it would do any good to complain about the fact that I lost the stone? :-?

The other bit of fun was dealing with BarMinion. We're working on revising our manuscript so that we can submit it. She was to edit Materials and Methods; my assignment was to edit Results and Discussion. I had to revise her revisions because she misspelled a few words, and she also changed something I had previously written and made it incorrect. Then, when I checked something else that she had allegedly done, I discovered that it was completely wrong. I sent out an email and explained why it was wrong (I still think she didn't do what she said she did, but that's another story). She promptly responded and basically dismissed what I had done, saying that there were no rules to govern what I had done and that her answer was equally correct. :ymsigh: I wrote a politely worded statement in which I disagreed with her and explained, yet again, what I did - and pointed out that it's the standard way of doing things. Biyotch questioned why my answer was more correct than hers yet again. ~X( I basically reiterated what I had previously said and then cordially invited her to double-check my work, providing all the necessary references for her to use. Not surprisingly, she didn't take me up on it and backed down. L-) I may have violated WTA by telling her to look at it herself (not in those words), but I really don't care. Besides, it worked, and I think she ultimately violated WTA far worse than I did by doggedly insisting that my answer was incorrect despite all the evidence.

I got a new coffee mug for Christmas; it has a Mark Twain quote on it: "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt." Once the mug is clean, it's going to be my new coffee cup at work. I think it will be fun to carry it around and innocently make sure the quote is visible at key times (without pointing it out, of course). :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 4th, 2013, 6:22 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Last month I bought pasta roller and cutter attachments for my Kitchen Aid mixer. I finally used it today to make homemade chicken and noodles. I have a few thoughts: why did I wait so long to buy it, and why did it take me a month to try it out? Seriously, best investment ever. Think I'll try my hand at homemade lasagna this weekend.
Sometime this weekend, I think. I have plenty of red wine. Maybe you could bring a salad?
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 4th, 2013, 6:23 pm

CathyCA wrote:Christian is home now. He is the sweetest child. While I was napping tonight, he remembered to plug in the Duke Basketball tree in time for the game.

Sounds like you have raised him right! :D :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 4th, 2013, 6:25 pm

=)) =)) =)) That's classic! Someone clearly didn't think things through before hitting "send." Wonder if anyone responded to question the wisdom of their wording?
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 4th, 2013, 6:27 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Lawgrad, I think we're related. That's the direction my mind went on this one, too. :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 4th, 2013, 9:22 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
Sometime this weekend, I think. I have plenty of red wine. Maybe you could bring a salad?
Sounds like a plan. (I wish)
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 5th, 2013, 10:23 pm

Where is everybody?

~ James Naismith