Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: The Recipe Thread

Post by Miles » October 1st, 2009, 4:49 pm

cl15876 wrote:
wilson wrote:
Miles wrote:2 cups diced cooked chicken
1 small tart apple, cored and diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/3 cup diced celery
1/4 cup diced red onion
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup lightly salted, roasted cashews, roughly chopped

I buy split chicken breasts on the bone, give em a good coating in salt and pepper and roast them first, then cool completely. Keep the cashews on the side as a topping to be added right before serving.
Well, I didn't notice this until too late. I whipped my own up today, and it turned out nicely, but I'll definitely try yours next time (I love chicken salad).
I too am a chicken salad lover. As simple as diced up chicken, lettuce, mayo, with some salt/pepper. This does look good and I'll be trying it also, I love cashews and that sounds like a nice touch along with the diced apple. What about a diced up boiled egg and some diced up pickle?
Boiled egg would fit in with this dish, I think the pickles would clash with the tarragon, which really stands out. I'd pull the tarragon if you're going with a pickle, or I'd opt out of pickle mode and add a pinch or two of freshly chopped dill.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » October 1st, 2009, 4:51 pm

devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
wilson wrote:Well, I didn't notice this until too late. I whipped my own up today, and it turned out nicely, but I'll definitely try yours next time (I love chicken salad).
I too am a chicken salad lover. As simple as diced up chicken, lettuce, mayo, with some salt/pepper. This does look good and I'll be trying it also, I love cashews and that sounds like a nice touch along with the diced apple. What about a diced up boiled egg and some diced up pickle?
Pee-cans or walnuts would also be nice instead of cashews.
Either of those would be scrumptious! I am a freak for cashews though and find their texture to be far more appealing.
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 1st, 2009, 6:05 pm

I was looking up recipes for my brunchgate potatoes, and found this tidbit. Those present will be able to sample the results.
Here’s the quickest, easiest way I know for making home-style breakfast potatoes that turn out crispy and golden—and hold their shape. The trick is to microwave them briefly first.
Put the whole, scrubbed, pricked potatoes into the microwave for about three minutes (time may vary depending on microwave). The idea is to get the cooking process started, but not to actually cook them in the microwave. Potatoes should still be hot but very hard, even crisp, and definitely not mealy when you remove them.
The recipe itself is not far off from how I do them, I just throw a few spices and onions in and grill them up. But the microwave idea is intriguing.
Here's where the recipe came from.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Miles

Post by Miles » October 2nd, 2009, 8:21 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I was looking up recipes for my brunchgate potatoes, and found this tidbit. Those present will be able to sample the results.
Here’s the quickest, easiest way I know for making home-style breakfast potatoes that turn out crispy and golden—and hold their shape. The trick is to microwave them briefly first.
Put the whole, scrubbed, pricked potatoes into the microwave for about three minutes (time may vary depending on microwave). The idea is to get the cooking process started, but not to actually cook them in the microwave. Potatoes should still be hot but very hard, even crisp, and definitely not mealy when you remove them.
The recipe itself is not far off from how I do them, I just throw a few spices and onions in and grill them up. But the microwave idea is intriguing.
Here's where the recipe came from.
I parboil my taters first, and then throw them in the fridge until they're completely cool; that's a key step. I also take this step before I grill potatoes too. One of my favorite things to do is grill some extra potatoes so I can use them in the morning for breakfast. Hope I can indulge in your brunchgataoes soon.
sMiles
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 3rd, 2009, 12:05 am

This is the chicken salad recipe I just sort of made up the other day:

-2 cups chopped/shredded chicken
-1 cup finely chopped celery
-1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts/other nuts
-3/4 cup Miracle Whip (lower in fat & calories than mayo, with a bit more flavor)
-3/4 cup sour cream (I used fat free...with the Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise, it made the whole thing pretty healthy)
-2 tbsp minced fresh dill
-2 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
-1 tsp mustard powder
-salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients until blended and then make a sandwich.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 4th, 2009, 9:45 am

wilson wrote:This is the chicken salad recipe I just sort of made up the other day:

-2 cups chopped/shredded chicken
-1 cup finely chopped celery
-1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts/other nuts
-3/4 cup Miracle Whip (lower in fat & calories than mayo, with a bit more flavor)
-3/4 cup sour cream (I used fat free...with the Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise, it made the whole thing pretty healthy)
-2 tbsp minced fresh dill
-2 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
-1 tsp mustard powder
-salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients until blended and then make a sandwich.
Sounds really good. I'm going to try this very soon. I will make only 1 sub. I will use low fat mayo made with olive oil. Thanks for the recipe.
Miles

Post by Miles » October 7th, 2009, 9:32 am

Chicken Soup
1 cut-up chicken including giblets, about 6-8 lbs.
2 ribs of celery
2 carrots
2 medium yellow onions
1 leek
1 head garlic
1 bunch celery leaves
1 bunch parsley, divided in half
1 bunch fresh thyme
2 -3 bay leaves
1 tbsp peppercorns, lightly crushed
1 - 2 cups wild rice (or if you wanna slum it you can go white rice) ;)

Stock
I like to roast my chicken before it goes into the stockpot, but if you're in a rush you can just go with raw.
1. Preheat oven to 375. Meanwhile, rinse the chicken pieces and pat dry.
2. Arrange in a single layer and bake for about 40-45 minutes.
3. Have a sip of your favorite adult beverage
4. Set aside chicken to cool.
5. Heat your stockpot to medium high heat
6. Coarsely chop 1 onion, 1 carrot, 1 celery and the leek. Cut the garlic bulb in half cross-wise.
7. Adult beverage, sip.
8. Saute the veggies while you debone the chicken pieces. Reserve the meat.
9. Add the chicken bones, half the parsley, celery leaves, bay leaves and crushed peppercorns. Cover with water and bring to a rolling boil
10. Adult beverage, sip.
11. Reduce the heat to simmer and skim the foam and other impurities from the top.
12. Simmer 30-45 minutes and then strain into pot through a thin sieve of mesh colander lined with cheesecloth. Discard everything except the stock.
13. Repeat adult beverage consumption as necessary.

Soup
1. Chop the onion, carrot, celery and chicken.
2. Adult beverage.
3. Bring the stock to boil, add the rice, veggies and chicken.
4. Simmer until the rice is tender.
5. Season to taste with fresh cracked pepper and a good salt
6. Serve with an adult beverage.
sMiles
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 7th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Miles wrote:Chicken Soup
1 cut-up chicken including giblets, about 6-8 lbs.
2 ribs of celery
2 carrots
2 medium yellow onions
1 leek
1 head garlic
1 bunch celery leaves
1 bunch parsley, divided in half
1 bunch fresh thyme
2 -3 bay leaves
1 tbsp peppercorns, lightly crushed
1 - 2 cups wild rice (or if you wanna slum it you can go white rice) ;)

The ingredients list is similar to my grandmothers recipe (the one I use - had to follow her around while she made it measuring everything :D )
I do not cook the chicken first...never heard of doing it that way. I do tend to collect a bag o' bones in the freezer from other chicken cookings and throw those in. If I have a whole cut up chicken from something else I'll freeze the back for soup. I would start without a 5 or so pound fryer plus what I've got in the freezer.
I skim the stock but leave the chicken in when adding veggies et al...and use more veggies (I like potatoes, so I throw those in...probably 5-6 carrots and the same for celery). I am not an onion fan, so I make some deep knife slices into the onion but do not cut it up.

I make either grated noodles or if I'm lucky I still have some real soup noodles from the last time it was cool and un-humid enough in FL to make them.

I am now hungry for chicken soup. It is freakin' 90 outside. No way I'm making soup. I can NOT eat canned chicken soup. :ymsick: :ymsick:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Miles

Post by Miles » October 7th, 2009, 4:50 pm

windsor wrote: The ingredients list is similar to my grandmothers recipe (the one I use - had to follow her around while she made it measuring everything :D )
I do not cook the chicken first...never heard of doing it that way. I do tend to collect a bag o' bones in the freezer from other chicken cookings and throw those in. If I have a whole cut up chicken from something else I'll freeze the back for soup. I would start without a 5 or so pound fryer plus what I've got in the freezer.
I skim the stock but leave the chicken in when adding veggies et al...and use more veggies (I like potatoes, so I throw those in...probably 5-6 carrots and the same for celery). I am not an onion fan, so I make some deep knife slices into the onion but do not cut it up.

I make either grated noodles or if I'm lucky I still have some real soup noodles from the last time it was cool and un-humid enough in FL to make them.

I am now hungry for chicken soup. It is freakin' 90 outside. No way I'm making soup. I can NOT eat canned chicken soup. :ymsick: :ymsick:
I feel like cooking the bird, concentrate the flavor in the stock and I prefer the roasted meat over poached. It also adds a nice, rich color to the stock. When I make turkey stock for my Thanksgiving feast, I brown a few pounds of wings in my stock part first. The caramelized skin adds that richness to the stock but it also renders the fat which I use for sautéing the mirepoix.

My dear windsor, what do you do in a culinary world without onions? Besides suffer. ;) Kelly doesn't like raw onions, so I leave them out of a lot of dishes. Most times I can get a long fine with out them, but there are times where I do miss their presence. Thankfully, she likes the cooked onions.
sMiles
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 8th, 2009, 9:25 am

Miles wrote:
windsor wrote: The ingredients list is similar to my grandmothers recipe (the one I use - had to follow her around while she made it measuring everything :D )

I feel like cooking the bird, concentrate the flavor in the stock and I prefer the roasted meat over poached. It also adds a nice, rich color to the stock. When I make turkey stock for my Thanksgiving feast, I brown a few pounds of wings in my stock part first. The caramelized skin adds that richness to the stock but it also renders the fat which I use for sautéing the mirepoix.

My dear windsor, what do you do in a culinary world without onions? Besides suffer. ;) Kelly doesn't like raw onions, so I leave them out of a lot of dishes. Most times I can get a long fine with out them, but there are times where I do miss their presence. Thankfully, she likes the cooked onions.
I don't mind onion flavor...I don't like biting into them. If they are finely chopped and cooked I'm fine. Big ol' hunks of onion...no thanks. On the other hand I like onion soup! Onions in my chicken soup...no thanks. It is weird, I acknowledge that.

I showed a friend of mine who loves onions (but has reached an age where they do NOT love her) the cut into whole onion trick and she was thrilled - she does that for everything. She can have the flavor without the onion. I have also been known to use a tea steeper to hold onions to get flavr infused without the onions themselves ending up in the dish.

I am Hungarian, and the running joke is that all Hungarian dishes start the same way...throw lard in frying pan, add (hungarian) paprika, brown onions in lard and paprika. I've had to adapt. :))
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 8th, 2009, 10:11 am

I have looked for years for Hungarian paprika. No luck. Anyone in the Durham area know where it may be for sale? Also, what is the difference in it & the paprika easily found?
Miles

Post by Miles » October 8th, 2009, 10:12 am

windsor wrote:I don't mind onion flavor...I don't like biting into them. If they are finely chopped and cooked I'm fine. Big ol' hunks of onion...no thanks. On the other hand I like onion soup! Onions in my chicken soup...no thanks. It is weird, I acknowledge that.

I showed a friend of mine who loves onions (but has reached an age where they do NOT love her) the cut into whole onion trick and she was thrilled - she does that for everything. She can have the flavor without the onion. I have also been known to use a tea steeper to hold onions to get flavr infused without the onions themselves ending up in the dish.

I am Hungarian, and the running joke is that all Hungarian dishes start the same way...throw lard in frying pan, add (hungarian) paprika, brown onions in lard and paprika. I've had to adapt. :))
I can understand not wanting to bite into them, they can be a bit harsh. For the record, I don't like biting into whole, raw onion either. You're right, a deep score on the onion is a great way to get the flavor out. I just strain the whole mess of veggies and bones and discard them, which then leaves me the choice of adding onions to the soup. If you come over for dinner, I'll happily start a second pot on the stove for you sans onion. :ymhug:

I had a friend who was Thai-Italian and he hated onions and garlic! I told him he was a disgrace to both culinary branches of the family tree. He really liked bread.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » October 8th, 2009, 10:13 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:I have looked for years for Hungarian paprika. No luck. Anyone in the Durham area know where it may be for sale? Also, what is the difference in it & the paprika easily found?
Give Penzey's a try. I've never bought any spices online because there was one right down the street from me when I lived in LA LA Land. No such luck now.
sMiles
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 8th, 2009, 10:20 am

Thank you Miles. :)
Miles

Post by Miles » October 8th, 2009, 10:21 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:Thank you Miles. :)
Very welcome. If you ever get the chance, I highly suggest you visit a Penzeys. It is spice heaven.
sMiles
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 8th, 2009, 10:56 am

I use Szeged Sweet Paprika Powder which is available in larger grocery stores here in Florida. Hungarian paprika is sweet (well, actually it comes in lots of varieties including some that a quite hot but what is traditionally called 'Hungarian' is sweet not hot).

Now if anyone knows where I can get decent Lekvar...(it is a prune/plum butter used in a cookie called a Kifli - without Kiflis Christmas doesn't come at my house :D ) Oh, and wikipedia has no clue what a kifli is. Salt...wtf???
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 8th, 2009, 10:59 am

windsor wrote:I use Szeged Sweet Paprika Powder which is available in larger grocery stores here in Florida. Hungarian paprika is sweet (well, actually it comes in lots of varieties including some that a quite hot but what is traditionally called 'Hungarian' is sweet not hot).

Now if anyone knows where I can get decent Lekvar...(it is a prune/plum butter used in a cookie called a Kifli - without Kiflis Christmas doesn't come at my house :D ) Oh, and wikipedia has no clue what a kifli is. Salt...wtf???
Thanks for the info. Maybe I can find it at Whole Foods.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » October 8th, 2009, 7:48 pm

I am in the mood for some jambalaya!!!!! :ympray: :ympray: :ympray:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 8th, 2009, 7:59 pm

Jambalaya

This is a recipe I adapted from Emeril Lagasse.

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped (I use the frozen kind.)
7 ounces kielbasa (Emeril's recipe calls for Andouille. I found cheap kielbasa at Kroger and chopped it in half.)
25 medium shrimp (Again, I use the frozen kind from Kroger with the tails off.)
1 T Creole seasoning (see recipe below)
2 T Olive Oil
1/4 c onion, chopped (I use the frozen chopped onions.)
1/4 c green peppers, chopped (I use the frozen chopped peppers.)
2 T minced garlic
1/2 c chopped tomato (I cut off one end and squeeze out all the guts and then chop what's left.)
6 okra pods, sliced (I grew my own okra.)
3 bay leaves
1 T Worcestershire sauce
3/4 c rice, uncooked
3 c chicken stock (I use the broth that I cooked the chicken breasts in, and I add a chicken bouillon cube to it.)

Creole Seasoning:
* 2 1/2 T paprika
* 2 T salt
* 2 T garlic powder
* 1 T black pepper
* 1 T onion powder
* 1 T cayenne pepper
* 1 T dried oregano
* 1 T dried thyme
Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Yields 2/3 cup.

In a bowl combine shrimp, chicken and Creole seasoning, and toss to coat. In a large saucepan heat olive oil over high heat with onion and pepper for about 3 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, bay leaves and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in the rice and slowly add the broth. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the rice absorbs the liquid and becomes tender, stirring it occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add the shrimp and chicken mixture and the sausage. Cook until the meat is done, about 10 minutes more.

YUM!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 8th, 2009, 8:14 pm

CathyCA wrote:Jambalaya
I've always liked that word. It's cool. B-)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.