LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by windsor » December 14th, 2012, 8:17 am

Mr. Windsor and I have 3 daughters between us (2 his, 1 mine).

As of yesterday they were all officially college graduates.

68913_4997527906336_2109666010_n.jpg
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » December 14th, 2012, 8:28 am

windsor wrote:Mr. Windsor and I have 3 daughters between us (2 his, 1 mine).

CONGRATS to all of you! :-BD
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 14th, 2012, 9:10 am

Congrats to all! Do we need to ban EJ and colchar from this thread now? :p
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 14th, 2012, 9:11 am

Isn't that the future Mrs. Colchar? ;) Congratulations! B-) :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 14th, 2012, 9:50 am

That is wonderful, Windsor! Congratulations! :happy-bouncyblue: :clap:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 14th, 2012, 10:52 pm

Congratulations to all 3 of the girls!!!!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 14th, 2012, 11:34 pm

Congrats!

Now you can sit back and relax. All you have to pay for now/soon/eventually is three weddings!

And you thought college was cheap!

:)) :(( :)) :((
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » December 15th, 2012, 1:03 am

Congratulations to all!
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » December 15th, 2012, 10:44 am

devildeac wrote:

Congrats!

Now you can sit back and relax. All you have to pay for now/soon/eventually is three weddings!

And you thought college was cheap!

:)) :(( :)) :((

One down....two to go!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 15th, 2012, 4:42 pm

Butler BB is not a fluke!! What a game.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 16th, 2012, 5:32 pm

I have a request for vibes. As you may recall from the WWWD thread, I'm working on a project (now a manuscript) with one of my colleagues, and her senior scientist (who I have referred to as BarMinion, or BM) managed to edge out the grad student who was working on the project in order to take the lead on said project. BM has been very insistent that this is her project. On the current draft of the manuscript, I'm 2nd author. However, my colleague and I have done far more work in writing the manuscript than BM has done. There are 5 figures in the manuscript, and I generated all 5 of them. I have written the lion's share of the results/discussion section and a pretty good chunk of the materials and methods section. The only section I did not contribute to was the intro, which is maybe 1/2 page in length. Any writing that BM did do required extensive editing because the writing was so abysmal. Oh, and I also put together pretty much all of the supplemental data (BM made one figure and one table). So, why the request for vibes? Well, I'm sending the current draft of the manuscript to my colleague along with a request to be promoted to at least co-first author status. I'm pointing out all of the points mentioned above. This puts my colleague in a very difficult place and risks making BM's behavior toward me even worse than it already is. However, I believe that the change is justified. Besides, maybe it would teach BM that, if she wants to be first author on a paper, she needs to write the damn paper, make the damn figures, and not push all the work off on someone else.

The draft of the message is saved; I'm meditating upon it and making sure it passes "Who's the asshole" before sending it out.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 16th, 2012, 6:35 pm

Vibes coming for you AD. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 16th, 2012, 7:17 pm

Vibes AD! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

And I'd like to point out that sometimes, in order to stick up for yourself, it's OK to be (a little bit of) an asshole! :ymdevil: But listen to WWWD and Lavabe's advice. :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 16th, 2012, 9:35 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Vibes AD! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

And I'd like to point out that sometimes, in order to stick up for yourself, it's OK to be (a little bit of) an asshole! :ymdevil: But listen to WWWD and Lavabe's advice. :D
The message has been sent! Now it's just a matter of playing the waiting game. :-ss

I believe that all my WWWD training has come in handy up to this point. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out. Now that I've made the request, I'll have to be prepared to deal with the consequences. Namely, how will I react if the answer is "no." "Yes" is easy: I do my job and go on without a word. "No" will seriously make me reconsider my involvement with any of my colleague's projects. That's a pretty big deal; I'd have to be sure I'm not cutting off my nose to spite my face. I have to weigh being involved in an interesting, high profile project with having my work used to benefit someone who repeatedly tries to one-up me and/or take credit for my ideas.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 16th, 2012, 9:50 pm

Vibing for you, AD.

You didn't ask for my opinion, but I'm giving it anyway: Don't mention BM in your communications to your colleague. Don't bring her up as a point of comparison. Ignore BM. If all she wrote was a half-page intro, she's not really an author on the project. If I wrote the half-page intro (and I probably could), I would not expect to be listed as an author on the project.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 16th, 2012, 10:13 pm

CathyCA wrote:Vibing for you, AD.

You didn't ask for my opinion, but I'm giving it anyway: Don't mention BM in your communications to your colleague. Don't bring her up as a point of comparison. Ignore BM. If all she wrote was a half-page intro, she's not really an author on the project. If I wrote the half-page intro (and I probably could), I would not expect to be listed as an author on the project.

Excellent point, Cathy.Thanks, and your opinion is always welcome.

I think I did okay. I acknowledged that BM did all of the experimental work, so it was a positive mention. Otherwise I didn't mention the name at all.

In addition to the intro, BM also wrote the appropriate part of the materials and methods section, but it required extensive editing. Any part of the manuscript that BM wrote was nightmarishly indecipherable, requiring extensive editing - even the technical details, which should've been easy for a non-native speaker to write. So, BM did write part of the paper, but not much of it could be used . My colleague (senior author) and I did the bulk of the editing and writing.
-- Albert Einstein
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » December 17th, 2012, 5:42 am

Vibes to you, AD!!!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 17th, 2012, 8:33 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Vibing for you, AD.

Excellent point, Cathy.Thanks, and your opinion is always welcome.

I think I did okay. I acknowledged that BM did all of the experimental work, so it was a positive mention. Otherwise I didn't mention the name at all.

In addition to the intro, BM also wrote the appropriate part of the materials and methods section, but it required extensive editing. Any part of the manuscript that BM wrote was nightmarishly indecipherable, requiring extensive editing - even the technical details, which should've been easy for a non-native speaker to write. So, BM did write part of the paper, but not much of it could be used . My colleague (senior author) and I did the bulk of the editing and writing.
I'm sending you good thoughts, vibes and prayers, too, AD!

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » December 17th, 2012, 9:39 am

VIBES!!

:wizard: :wizard:

I hope it is well received. Standing up for yourself does not make you the asshole….not when it involved a factual, rational, adult approach. Pointing fingers and whining about ‘sheeeee gets all the credit and I do allllll the work’…that makes you an asshole :D

If by chance the answer is NO you are entitled to a brief period of 'these people suck'. The next step is a rational response that 1)accepts the decision and 2) asks in a professional and non-retaliatory manor what one would need to do to be considered as first author or co-author going forward.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 17th, 2012, 10:54 am

Windsor, she is a gorgeous graduate! Congratulations on getting all three of your daughters through college!

~ James Naismith