LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by windsor » December 4th, 2012, 1:22 pm

The lights cost us about $75 for the Xmas season (they turn on the Friday after Thanksgiving and New Years Day is the last lighting.)

It takes about 100 hours to get it all up and working. This year we had friends over to help and knocked most of it out in a day.

There are over 10,000 lights (no music...don't tempt Mr. Windsor!!) we are gradualy swtiching over to LED. There are 2 mice, 4 penguins, 2 polar bears, 4 dogs, 3 reindeer, snoopy on a his dog house, a 'train' , a snow man, 30 lighted candy canes and metric shit-ton of other stuff. yes, we add every year. Mr. Windsor and I have been married 18 years...we started with 5 or 6 strings of light and a santa with a reindeer (since retired!). We've reached a point where some things get tossed every year just due to age.

It runs on 4 seperate circuits (2 20 amp, 2 30 amp), all on remote controls so we can turn it on and off from inside. The hardest part is balancing how much power is on each remote. The garage doors (below) have spots on them that suck a lot of power. Do not ask how many extension cords are out there. I couldn't begin to count!

fyi - those are mylar table clothes...two per door. :)

doors.JPG
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 4th, 2012, 2:16 pm

windsor wrote:
doors.JPG
That was your 2541st post, which is kinda cool given the photo.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 4th, 2012, 3:24 pm

windsor wrote:The lights cost us about $75 for the Xmas season (they turn on the Friday after Thanksgiving and New Years Day is the last lighting.)

It takes about 100 hours to get it all up and working. This year we had friends over to help and knocked most of it out in a day.

There are over 10,000 lights (no music...don't tempt Mr. Windsor!!) we are gradualy swtiching over to LED. There are 2 mice, 4 penguins, 2 polar bears, 4 dogs, 3 reindeer, snoopy on a his dog house, a 'train' , a snow man, 30 lighted candy canes and metric shit-ton of other stuff. yes, we add every year. Mr. Windsor and I have been married 18 years...we started with 5 or 6 strings of light and a santa with a reindeer (since retired!). We've reached a point where some things get tossed every year just due to age.

It runs on 4 seperate circuits (2 20 amp, 2 30 amp), all on remote controls so we can turn it on and off from inside. The hardest part is balancing how much power is on each remote. The garage doors (below) have spots on them that suck a lot of power. Do not ask how many extension cords are out there. I couldn't begin to count!

doors.JPG
Wow. Just wow.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 4th, 2012, 6:43 pm

windsor wrote:The lights cost us about $75 for the Xmas season (they turn on the Friday after Thanksgiving and New Years Day is the last lighting.)

doors.JPG
Great info on the power and circuitry! I'm glad you have 20 and 30 amp circuits - did you have the 30's specially added? Those aren't standard in most houses! And those spots - excellent candidates for LED spots!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 4th, 2012, 7:02 pm

^:)^ Fantastic. ^:)^
doors.JPG
Iron Duke #1471997.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 4th, 2012, 9:16 pm

CathyCA wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Please send good vibes my child's way. He crashed my car into the garage foundation (it's brick) wall this afternoon.

Thankfully, the bumpers did their job, and no one is hurt. . . physically. :auto-crash:

Vibes for Christian! And you!!! How badly did he damage your car? And was he charged with anything? }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Every new driver needs to survive their first fender-bender. I had mine in 1970 with only my learners permit driving my mom's 1968 Olds Toronado. We got rear ended, she was in the car with me. A year later, with a full license, I got rear ended in that car again. And she was rear ended in that car two or three times - very strange, considering it was a big, heavy, very visible white car. Hopefully the first accident isn't something serious, although with so many high school aged drivers killed in Johnston and Wake Counties in the last 10 years, often they are more serious.
The front bumper is smashed in and the paint is peeling off of it. I haven't detected any other damage. Fortunately, the collision was with the brick wall (and a shelving unit and Halloween decorations) and no one was hurt. I'm a little shaky, but neither of us need any medical attention.

No one is charging Christian with anything because he did it in my garage. I had grabbed the steering wheel to keep him from sideswiping the garage doorjamb as he pulled in. He reacted by hitting the "brake," which turned out to be the accelerator.

My first accident was when I drove a friend's car into my mom's car. Christian will have the same "task" that I had: he must pay for the damages to my car, just as I paid for the damages to my mom's car. Thus far, he has busied himself cleaning his room, taking out the trash, and cooking and bringing dinner to me.

My hope is that this incident has scared the reindeer poop out of him and that he will be a little more cautious in his driving. For those of you who are wondering, Christian only has 15 hours of time behind the wheel so far. He's on his first learner's permit.

I'm sorry, I must have learned to drive too long ago. "First" learner's permit?
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 4th, 2012, 9:42 pm

windsor wrote: It runs on 4 seperate circuits (2 20 amp, 2 30 amp), all on remote controls so we can turn it on and off from inside. The hardest part is balancing how much power is on each remote.
That's a great display. I use timers that go on at dusk and turn off six or eight hours later. I have my lights on separate timers from my airblowns because my som is in love with them and turns them on during the day. I see no reason to have the lights on during the day. I'm not a huge fan of the airblowns, but my son is completely in love with them. He even asks for them as gifts on birthdays and Christmases. We're up to about twenty now.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » December 4th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Can you recommend a good electrician?
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » December 5th, 2012, 8:07 am

bjornolf wrote:
windsor wrote: It runs on 4 seperate circuits (2 20 amp, 2 30 amp), all on remote controls so we can turn it on and off from inside. The hardest part is balancing how much power is on each remote.
That's a great display. I use timers that go on at dusk and turn off six or eight hours later. I have my lights on separate timers from my airblowns because my som is in love with them and turns them on during the day. I see no reason to have the lights on during the day. I'm not a huge fan of the airblowns, but my son is completely in love with them. He even asks for them as gifts on birthdays and Christmases. We're up to about twenty now.
:text-worthless:

The one thing we do not have is airblowns. Personally, I do not like them at all. Of course if I had a child at home that loved them :x I have no doubt we would have some in our yard!

Ozzie - we've looked at LED spots, I don't like the color from LED as much as from 'old school' lights and it is more pronounced on the spots. If we just needed white light that would be ok, but we have red and green spots and the LED is just harsh. I am sure we'll make the jump one day.
We added the 30 amps when we converted from fuses to breakers. The house (built in 1956) had an addition in the 80s, those circuits were in a seperate box, on breakers. There was a second 'fuse' box from the original construction. Since we were consolidating and paying the electrician anyway it wasn't that much more to drop the 30s.
We have considered putting a sprinkler system in from time to time...if we ever do that we will take that opportunity to run conduit and put outlets out in the yard to cut down on the miles of extension cords.

This weekend I will be decking the interior halls...a much less daunting task!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 5th, 2012, 9:58 am

I will pst pix when done. With three kids, it takes me a while. I'm about 2/3 done with the outside.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 6th, 2012, 10:14 am

Do parents ever THINK about the images their children's names might evoke?

I heard a name this morning in criminal court that tickled me. The guy's name was "Tyquawn Battle," which sounded (to me) like some sort of Taekwondo sparring thing.

I've been giggling all morning over that.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 6th, 2012, 11:00 am

CathyCA wrote:Do parents ever THINK about the images their children's names might evoke?

I heard a name this morning in criminal court that tickled me. The guy's name was "Tyquawn Battle," which sounded (to me) like some sort of Taekwondo sparring thing.

NIce!

Was he charged with assault and battery? Or if he was the alleged victim of an A&B, would his name alone be sufficient to elicit a defense of mutual affray?

Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 6th, 2012, 12:41 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Do parents ever THINK about the images their children's names might evoke?

NIce!

Was he charged with assault and battery? Or if he was the alleged victim of an A&B, would his name alone be sufficient to elicit a defense of mutual affray?

I pulled the calendar to see what the charges were: DWLR. Not quite as funny as your scenario, Lawgrad, but I'm still giggling.

Seriously, don't pregnant women go to the back door and practice yelling out their kids' names before they stick them with those things for life?

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 6th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Our stupid defendant of the week comes to court tomorrow afternoon. I am hoping his defense attorney will talk him into pleading guilty, but the dumbass isn't known for his brain power.

He has a prosthetic leg. (He's the one I think I mentioned before that, ahem, RAN from the police. Oscar Pistorius, he is not.) Apparently he doesn't make a good podmate because one of his cellmates dropped a dime on him and told the jailers that he had pills in his underwear.

Apparently our rocket scientist smuggled his pain pills into the jail in his prosthetic leg.

I told the RevLawgrad as we were walking the dogs this morning, "I hope I"ll get out at a decent time on Friday. My stupid defendant doesn't have a leg to stand on."

It wasn't til I was on my way to work that I realized what I had said. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 6th, 2012, 4:02 pm

Julie has an Af-Am mom that named her kids things like "Jamie, Susan, Cynthia" because she never wanted them to be prejudged on any paperwork they ever turned in, whether for employment or school purposes. It is sad that as a society we do, but also very smart of that mom to think about it.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 6th, 2012, 6:26 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Julie has an Af-Am mom that named her kids things like "Jamie, Susan, Cynthia" because she never wanted them to be prejudged on any paperwork they ever turned in, whether for employment or school purposes. It is sad that as a society we do, but also very smart of that mom to think about it.
My late friend David was a high school math teacher, and for years he taught the remedial math class. He frequently told me about their names. One that stood out was Adrain. OK, you looked at that too fast and missed what I typed. As in "A drain". His mother wanted to name him Adrian, but misspelled it on the birth certificate. :sigh: :veryconfused: :doh:

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 6th, 2012, 9:11 pm

My pc is getting very hard to read. It's blurry and everything is "fatter". I've tried to figure it out but no luck. Any suggestions?
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 6th, 2012, 9:54 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:My pc is getting very hard to read. It's blurry and everything is "fatter". I've tried to figure it out but no luck. Any suggestions?
Sounds like you changed the display resolution some how. I'll let Chris tell you how to return it to the original settings. :D

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 6th, 2012, 10:07 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:My pc is getting very hard to read. It's blurry and everything is "fatter". I've tried to figure it out but no luck. Any suggestions?
Sounds like you changed the display resolution some how. I'll let Chris tell you how to return it to the original settings. :D
Thanks Ozzie. I'll see if I can find the d r.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 6th, 2012, 10:20 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Thanks Ozzie. I'll see if I can find the d r.
I did not find it. :(