Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » January 24th, 2012, 10:33 pm

Imperial Stout-Sweetwater Brewing

This was a winter addition to Tyler's Taproom draft menu so I decided to enjoy a $5 pint of this pre-game on Saturday. I think this used to be called Happy Ending but Sweetwater must have run afoul of some Georgia ABC commissioners with the name so they changed it to something bland and unexciting. Yawn. Nonetheless, it is an almost black brew with a small tan head that has the nose of unsweetened dark chocolate with a hint of coffee. Very roasty and slightly bitter, guessing an IBU of 60 or so which would be typical of a RIS. IBU listed at 9% so I sipped this as it warmed to near room temperature with a carolina Cuban sammich and some non-garlic fries. Not a bad combo but it would be better as a dessert beer with a few chocolate chocolate chip cookies, brownies or chocolate pound cake. I would not hesitate to buy a 4 pack and trade one, taste one and save the others until next year.

(OK, they still call it Happy Ending on their web site but it was not on the menu at Tyler's that way.)

This seasonal “Catch and Release” Imperial Stout is a dry hopped stiffy, leading to an explosive finish at 9% ABV that is guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 31st, 2012, 11:21 am

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/01/30/s ... pt=hp_bn13
Clever beer names have become commonplace among breweries, but “Sexual Chocolate” is turning some heads. The cocoa-infused beer only comes out once a year from the Foothills Brewing in Winston-Salem, North Carolina -- so fans planned accordingly
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 31st, 2012, 11:53 am

I'm hoping Tyler's has it on draft on Sunday..........

=p~ =p~
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 31st, 2012, 12:39 pm

devildeac wrote:I'm hoping Tyler's has it on draft on Sunday..........

=p~ =p~
From a friend's reply on Facebook...
If you didn't get any, you'll have to wait tell next year. Only released once a year. Sold out in Durham in an hour.
Tyler's is probably your best bet.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 31st, 2012, 12:43 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

=p~ =p~
If you didn't get any, you'll have to wait tell next year. Only released once a year. Sold out in Durham in an hour.
We had it there last year, then I had it at the brewery a couple of weeks later. That's when I got you and dd some of the other beers they offer!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 31st, 2012, 12:52 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

=p~ =p~
We had it there last year, then I had it at the brewery a couple of weeks later. That's when I got you and dd some of the other beers they offer!
I remember.
sexualchocolate.jpg
:D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 31st, 2012, 5:12 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: We had it there last year, then I had it at the brewery a couple of weeks later. That's when I got you and dd some of the other beers they offer!
I remember.
sexualchocolate.jpg
:D

Sexual Chocolate in the pint glasses and Sexual Ozzie in the background =)) .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 31st, 2012, 11:06 pm

Barleywine (2009 edition)-Schlafly Brewing

This actually has a much longer name and on the bottle is Schlafly Reserve, ale aged on oak chips. I'll just call it delicious and the way all barleywines should be brewed. I sipped this over 2 nights as it was a capped 750 ml bottle that Lavabe delivered in late 2009 during a Christmas visit. Poured a slightly cloudy brown-orange color with a faint nose of bourbon and lots of toffee and dark caramel aromas. The taste is a smooth dark caramel with vanilla from the oak aging and, I'll swear bourbon. I can't find any statement anywhere that the aging vessels are old bourbon casks but the tastes are boozey and whiskey-ish. The IBU are 40 which I find to be a bit low for the style and the ABV is 10.2% and the bourbon notes make it seem a bit higher. I let this warm a bit and sipped over an hour or so as a dessert beer. So, if you can find a 2011 version, buy two and enjoy one now and save a bottle for a year or three.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 2nd, 2012, 9:09 am

Now appearing in my fridge: Moon Man, Fat Squirrel, Spotted Cow and Two Women from New Glarus Brewing. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 3rd, 2012, 10:33 pm

Bitter American-21st Amendment Brewing

Quite the pale ale here. Pours a clear amber with a modest head and subtle notes of light caramel and toffee and soft floral scents. Most other features are modest with an average IBU of 42 and ABV of 4.4%, which is a bit low for a pale ale. This is a fine session ale that could be enjoyed with sandwiches or grilled fare in spring, summer or fall at a Brunchgate or holiday gathering. This was a trader this week with a drug rep who calls on me in my office every 2 weeks or so.

Great picture on the can:

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 4th, 2012, 1:09 pm

Founders' Ale-Newcastle

This is probably best described by the link at the end of my tasting notes. A pale ale in the English style, this sessionable brew pours a clear amber with a small head and has a bouquet and tastes of light caramel and fresh winter flowers. IBU are a bit lower than a standard pale ale at 20 and the ABV is 4.8%. This would be fine for an afternoon or evening of tasting or to accompany sammiches or burgers/sausages off the grill. I received this as a trader this week.

http://beernews.org/2012/01/newcastle-f ... kes-debut/

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 4th, 2012, 1:28 pm

devildeac wrote:Founders' Ale-Newcastle

This is probably best described by the link at the end of my tasting notes. A pale ale in the English style, this sessionable brew pours a clear amber with a small head and has a bouquet and tastes of light caramel and fresh winter flowers. IBU are a bit lower than a standard pale ale at 20 and the ABV is 4.8%. This would be fine for an afternoon or evening of tasting or to accompany sammiches or burgers/sausages off the grill. I received this as a trader this week.

Never seen anything by them other than their Brown Ale, which I love!

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 4th, 2012, 1:33 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

From your link
Founders’ Ale will also be available on draught at fine pubs in select markets.
We need to ask tomorrow is it will be featured on a Pint Night? :happy-bouncyblue:

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 4th, 2012, 1:36 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

That's why I'm here-to keep you edjumacated ;) :D .

Read the link. I think you'd enjoy it.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 4th, 2012, 1:42 pm

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

That's why I'm here-to keep you edjumacated ;) :D .

Read the link. I think you'd enjoy it.
I did read it. See my second post, right above yours!

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 4th, 2012, 9:45 pm

Ruthless Rye IPA-Sierra Nevada

Brand new brew time! Quite a twist on your typical IPA with the addition of rye to the malted barley. The other brew I have had in the last year or two in which I recall rye being one of the grains is the Rye-Squared IPA by the folks at Terrapin Brewing. And, if my feeble memory is correct, I thought the rye imparted a bit of an earthy, musty taste. This one is different to me as the rye here appears peppery and spicy and not musty at all. All the other usual IPA characteristics are present including some malt sweetness, floral hop bitterness, all in a reddish-brown pour with a modest head. IBU are 55 and the ABV is 6.6%, both fairly typical for the style. Glad I bought my own 6er of this one as I traded two, drank one and now have to decide what to do with the other three :think: .

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 5th, 2012, 11:08 pm

Chocolate Stout-Harpoon Brewing

Almost black. Viscous. Smooth. Roasty. Cocoa-like flavors. Mild bitterness. IBU about 40-50. ABV probably 5-6%. Very pleasant mouthfeel and would make a fine dessert beverage by itself or with a brownie or slice of chocolate cake. This would even be good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 6th, 2012, 11:07 pm

Black Cannon-Clipper City Brewing

This is their variation on Loose Cannon with the addition of black and/or chocolate malts which impart a rather smooth texture to an otherwise rather hoppy IPA. There really are milk chocolate notes to this brew which balance the piney hop tastes very well. I'd guess the IBU about 50-60 and the ABV is 7.25% but I did enjoy it over the weekend to celebrate several events. The pour is a dark brown with a small tan head and this would be pleasant with ribs, 'cue or BBQ chicken or brats off the grill. I actually bought a 6er of this myself and plan on trading 3 or 4 and enjoying the rest myself.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 8th, 2012, 7:25 pm

devildeac wrote:Live Free or Die IPA-21st Amendment Brewing

Another CB&B trader and surprise winner. I have read/heard about this brewery/pub in SF but no prior tastings. This was a canned brew from the specialty shop in Blacksburg. Pours a gold color, 2 finger head with a bouquet of hop aromas, including a bit of citrus and a bit of pine. Solid balance with the malts and a hint of caramel sweetness. IBU at 70 and the ABV is 7% from the 6 hop varieties and 2 malts. Pair with spicy dishes or thick soups/stews, ribs and BBQ. This is actually a contract brew with Cold Spring, Minnesota listed as the brewery/place of origin. Not sure what they pour in SF, whether it is brewed on site or in the frozen north. Worth a single, 6er/trader. :clap:
Brew Free or Die IPA (2012 version)-21st Amendment Brewing

Little to add here to last year's review except I'm cheating on CB&B and got this trader "elsewhere." Very pleasant, crisp IPA.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 9th, 2012, 6:43 pm

devildeac wrote:Sexual Chocolate-Foothills Brewing

A grand slam brew or hitting for the cycle. This imperial stout has become somewhat legendary in its several year existence and the pint yesterday afternoon at Tyler's Taproom prior to the NCSU game lived up to its reputation and more. The pour is nearly black and the small head which does not linger long is a medium tan. The nose is dark, semisweet chocolate and espresso and the tastes are the same with black strap molasses and dark aged rum. As is standard for imperial stouts, the IBU are high at 85 but the massive amounts of chocolate and black patent malts smooth the high IBU very nicely along with the ABV of about 10%. It was served cold but I sipped it about 30 minutes and the warming released all the above flavors. I actually drank water with my meal and savored this as a dessert beer. The pint was $7, which I thought was very reasonably priced. My drug rep buddy had a friend standing in line at the brewery on release date on 1/29 and he waited an hour in a line that was 3 blocks long and had to leave to take a child to swim practice so I ended up with zero bottles :(( :(( . I'd have another pint of this in a New York minute if we go out to dinner next week and it would be worthwhile for anyone living in NC to call around to your local beer emporiums to see if they have any left on draft. This was a stunning brew and easily makes my top 5 list along with the BBCS, the DFH Palo Santo Marron, Bridgeport's Old Knucklehead and the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.

Oh, yea, I forgot:

:9f:
Sexual Chocolate (2012 version)-Foothills Brewing

I'll just let y'all read last year's review as this year's pint on Sunday at Tyler's Taproom before the Miami game was just as fine as last year's. I may visit a new micro brew store, Bottle Revolution, about as block from my office tomorrow on the way home and see if the owner got a keg and treat myself again on the way home from work tomorrow.

Once again, Sexual Chocolate in the foreground and Sexual Ozzie in the background :D .