Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 2nd, 2012, 12:48 pm

devildeac wrote:Note worth reading from the brewer, too:

Pour this over pancakes.
=)) =))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 2nd, 2012, 12:55 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Pour this over pancakes.
=)) =))
dpslaw had a choklat beer at Tyler's last night that you truly could pour over ice cream. OOOOH! Beer float time! :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2012, 1:59 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Pour this over pancakes.
=)) =))

I thought you might be amused.

:D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 3rd, 2012, 10:27 pm

Schlafly Reserve Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout (2009 edition)-Schlafly Brewing

This is a 2+ year old capped 750 ml bottle that I am enjoying solo over 2 nights and savoring every drop. AD brought a bottle (I think) on her great adventure this fall but I believe this bottle is one Lavabe bequeathed on me 2 Christmases ago during a family visit. I am sipping this slightly chilled from a wine glass as a nightcap as I post this and find it to be a rather complex brew. The aromas are dark chocolate and caramel with vanilla and oak with a hint of the bourbon. The booziness come through more during the tasting at the end, along with the aforementioned aromas also appearing on the palate. Not quite as black as most imperial stouts, this has very mild bitterness (IBU=40), a small tan head and hints of vanilla, too. I found it to be a nice match with some Moravian cranberry orange Christmas cookies but would be very satisfied to enjoy by itself for dessert, too. I'll have to rummage through the cellar later this week to see if I have one more that I can save for another occasion or perhaps next year.

Some brewer's notes and history, too:

ABV: 10.5% | IBU: 40

Appearance: Deep black
Process: Aged in Bourbon barrels for several months after primary fermentation and conditioning
Hops: Marynka (PL), Northdown (UK)
Malts: 2-row malted barley, Caravienne, roasted barley, black malt, chocolate malt, caramel malt, flaked oats, biscuit malt
Yeast: American Ale
OG: 23
SRM: 75

Our Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout is complex and strong, with rich chocolate and roasty flavors. The beer is brewed to have big malt flavor and hop bitterness to balance the sweetness of the high alcohol content. After primary fermentation and conditioning, the beer is transferred to freshly-emptied bourbon barrels and aged for several months before being carbonated and bottled.

In the 18th Century, Imperial Stout was first brewed in London for export to the court of Catherine II of Russia. The beer had to have a higher alcohol content to prevent freezing during transport. The process of aging beer in liquor barrels, however, is new; there is no tradition for this process, as beer and liquor production have traditionally been kept separate. We hand-select bourbon barrels from a micro-distillery in Bardstown, KY and transport the barrels immediately to St. Louis to ensure the barrels do not dry out before being filled with Imperial Stout.

IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » January 6th, 2012, 3:21 pm

As you know I frequently pick out my beer by it's crazy name(s) and last evening was no exception. We had gone to a local hangout for fish and chips and noticed MOOSE DROOL beer on tap. That name said any beer drinking Iowa Devil would just HAVE to have a taste and share one more silly name!

It was almost like a root beer to my none techinical taste buds. But the official brewery online spiel is:

That first taste, the best part of a beer after a long day. We want to make that better than ever. So we made Moose Drool. The name sounds a little iffy, but it's really the best Brown Ale you'll ever taste. That's why Moose Drool is far and away the best-selling beer brewed in Montana.

It's chocolate brown in color with a creamy texture. A malty beer with just enough hop presence to keep it from being too sweet. The aroma mostly comes from the malt with a hint of spice added by the hops. Moose Drool is brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate, and whole black malts; and Kent Goldings, Liberty, and WILLAMETTE HOPS. It has an original gravity of 13 degrees Plato, and is 4.2% alcohol by weight, 5.3% by volume.

Attachments
Drool.jpg
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 6th, 2012, 3:55 pm

Very cool, IowaDevil! Sounds good to me! :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 6th, 2012, 5:33 pm

IowaDevil wrote:As you know I frequently pick out my beer by it's crazy name(s) and last evening was no exception. We had gone to a local hangout for fish and chips and noticed MOOSE DROOL beer on tap. That name said any beer drinking Iowa Devil would just HAVE to have a taste and share one more silly name!

It was almost like a root beer to my none techinical taste buds. But the official brewery online spiel is:

That first taste, the best part of a beer after a long day. We want to make that better than ever. So we made Moose Drool. The name sounds a little iffy, but it's really the best Brown Ale you'll ever taste. That's why Moose Drool is far and away the best-selling beer brewed in Montana.

It's chocolate brown in color with a creamy texture. A malty beer with just enough hop presence to keep it from being too sweet. The aroma mostly comes from the malt with a hint of spice added by the hops. Moose Drool is brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate, and whole black malts; and Kent Goldings, Liberty, and WILLAMETTE HOPS. It has an original gravity of 13 degrees Plato, and is 4.2% alcohol by weight, 5.3% by volume.

From 10/28/08 on DBR from Lavabe:

"... I never posted a review of Moose Drool.

Review of Moose Drool: Brown/red color, little if any head, subtle, but consistent carbonation, crisp, hoppy aroma.

Taste: Plenty of bitters initially, followed by a dash of malt, ending up crisp with a faint alcohol bite at the end. That initial hoppiness is pretty special. It doesn't overpower you, and is quickly followed by that pleasant touch of malt.

NICE to come back to a good ale after last night's adventure in fruitiness."

That should bring the big fella' out to play...

I have not tasted any Drool for several years but remember it to be a very solid brown ale.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 6th, 2012, 10:31 pm

Bigfoot (2007 edition)-Sierra Nevada Brewing

Ahh, the advantages of beer aging are manifest in a smoother ale that is more drinkable after a year or more. I gotta admit, I stopped buying Bigfoot in 2011 as it was just such an overwhelming hop bomb and just tough to drink the first year and I can only store so much beer in my garage. The 5 year old product is a bit cloudy now with a 1/2 finger head and has notes of tobacco and toffee and still heavy on the piney, resinous hops. Dark, sherry-like tastes sneak through also. I don't think they have changed the recipe for many years and IIRC, the IBU are about 90 (or perhaps a bit higher) and the ABV has been 9.6% for quite a long time. Chill it slightly, pour into a snifter or pint glass and plan on sipping for an hour or so while curled up with a book by the fire. I'm waiting on my 2008 (25th anniversary for the brew) edition to chill a few more minutes and I'll enjoy that one tonight.

not

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 8th, 2012, 5:20 pm

Bigfoot (25th Expedition: 2008)-Sierra Nevada

I think they might have changed the formulation just a bit for this brewing as it was a bit more reddish-brown in color and had a bit thicker, foamier head. Still pretty similar tastes of tobacco, toffee and piney/resinous hops, high bitterness with the same ABV of 9.6% as in many years past. Perhaps not quite as smooth as the 2007 but certainly more palatable than on its first sampling.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 9th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Bigfoot-2010 edition-Sierra Nevada

Still kind of rough/bitter with not enough time to mature/age yet. It was a bit more drinkable now than when first purchased in 2010 but I'd expect a bit smoother by now after waiting 2 years. Oh well, I have 2-3 more, IIRC, that I can allow to age another year or three. This is not as clear a pour as when first bought and has a bit more foamy head but the IBU of 90+ just does not have enough malt/toffee/caramel balance, even at 9.6% ABV. I did not procure any of the 2011 variety and glad I never really searched for it as I am pretty tired of Bigfoot after about 15 years of trying to enjoy it. There are smoother, sweeter barleywine style ales that I'd rather sip than this one so I believe I'll skip the 2012 entry also. I don't believe I have ever had a draft Bigfoot so I'd be willing to taste one of those this year if we find it at Tyler's Taproom before a Duke game this season.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 13th, 2012, 10:57 pm

Nemesis (2009 edition)-Founders Brewing

From the brewer:

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
“The 2009 release of Nemesis is best described as a Maple Bourbon barrel aged wheat wine holding 12% abv and 70 ibu’s. The barrels have been resting deep in the mines of Grand Rapids for nearly 9 months and have been most effective in developing a great product. The Bourbon barrels we used in this creation were once used to age Maple syrup from northern Michigan, then emptied, and procured for our use in aging this beer. The combination of American oak, Kentucky Bourbon, Michigan Maple syrup and our golden/tan wheat ale has provided a delicious malty sweet ale distinctive of strong vanilla and bourbon notes.”

My thoughts:

This is a nice variation on a traditional barleywine style ale with the wheat malt lending a bit of citrus flavor to the typical highly hopped and abundantly malted barleywine. It has a slight orange hue and is a bit cloudy from the addition of the wheat. All the flavors above are prominent with the bourbon appearing a bit later in the sip and the maple being more subtle. Vanilla nuances are present from the oak aging and the caramel sweetness balances the moderate bitterness. Yes, I really did save this since finding it at the Liquor Barn in Lexington, Kentucky in mid 2009, IIRC and it went for about $16 for the 4 pack. Yes, it is worth it. And yes, I am still celebrating everything from last night's escape to the 2010 National Championship to last year's two weddings. And yes, finally, I do have one bottle remaining for a celebration next year :D .

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 14th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Barleywine-Duck Rabbit Brewing

Pretty classic rendition here. Dark amber color, modest head and floral bitterness and tons of dark caramel, toffee and dried fruit aromas and flavors. Borders on syrupy. Do not pour this on your pancakes. I'll guess the IBU about 70 (not listed anywhere, in fact, this brew doesn't even make their web site) and the ABV is 11% but minimally boozey. Serve this slightly chilled in a goblet or snifter and sip after dinner for an hour or so.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2012, 4:50 pm

Christmas Ale-Goose Island Brewing

Yet another slant on a winter seasonal and a high quality one, too. All the typical characteristics of a brown ale are here with a rich, clear pour, modest head and nutty tastes and aromas. There are hints of creamy milk chocolate, too. Bitterness is modest, guessing about 30 and the ABV is 6.2%. This would be a nice pairing with burgers, ribs or a pork roast. Lavabe sent this 4 pack for holiday enjoyment and I have 3 left and will probably trade 2 and keep the final one for a year and sample it again as they claim it ages well for 5 years. Many thanks.

Goose me.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Oak (Chip) Aged Bourbon Stout-CB&B (Home) Brewing

I really enjoy sampling home brews but don't get too many chances (hint) as a group of friends we have stopped several years ago and CB&B has been busing cooking, painting and moving, but he cranked up the fermenting last month and bottled this variation of a stout. He does not own any bourbon barrels (yet :D ) so he bought some oak chips from his home brew store and let them marinate in some bourbon for a couple weeks or so. I'll let him correct any errors in my memory here :ymblushing: . The final product turned out to be a dark brown, slightly opaque pour with a 1-2 finger head that smelled and tasted woody/oaky with unsweetened dark chocolate notes and a faint tastes of bourbon and coffee, though no coffee was used in the brewing process. I'd guess the IBU to be 30-40, so not particularly bitter (not sure what hops he used) and he told me the final ABV was about 6%, so it was not an imperial stout. I poured it into a pint glass and sipped over 30 minutes or so as I allowed it to warm even a bit more after it sat on the counter for 15-20 minutes after removing from my 45 degree garage, err, beer cellar. I guess I'd let the chips soak a bit longer or use a bit more bourbon to impart a bit more of that flavor to the final product, but otherwise would not change a thing. I have a second bottle I will age for 90 days and re-visit at that time. Thank you for sharing.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 18th, 2012, 7:54 pm

Hennepin-Ommegang Brewing

Well, technically not, as the front label says "Product of Belgium" and, in small print on the back label, "Brewed and bottled by Duvel Moortgat NV, Puurs, Belgium." I wonder if I never noticed this ages ago of if they changed the bottling of the ale from Cooperstown, NY, to Belgium when Duvel acquired Ommegang several years ago. It matters little as this Saison ale is every bit as pleasant as I remember it from the last time I had one several years ago. It pours a hazy orange-yellow with a lot of Belgian lace (light bodied "foam") into an Ommegang tulip glass with subtle hints of orange peel, ginger and coriander in the nose which are even more perceptible on the palate. Crispness and floral hops are present as are tastes of slightly underripe apples and pears. I'd guess the IBU in the 30 range and the ABV is 7.7% so I divided this caged and corked 750 ml bottle over 2 nights. Some nice dinner pairings would be grilled seafood with fruity/spicy salsa or even chicken with similar toppings. I bought this for myself as a Christmas present as it was packaged with Three Philosophers and Gnomegang for about $25 and included the above mentioned Ommegang tulip glass. I think individually, the Hennepin is $7 and the other 2 are $9 each so I figured I basically got the glass for free :D . Highly recommended.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 20th, 2012, 10:54 pm

Samichlaus (2004 edition)-Castle Brewery Eggenberg

No typo. I really saved a beer 8 years and it was worth the wait. It was somewhat unintentional as I discovered this rotating/consolidating stock in the cellar, err, garage this week. I did not think I had any prior to 2006 but found this gem and divided it over 2 nights. It is technically a double bock but really most resembles a sherry. Brown sugar and dark caramel sweet with dark cherry and very winey, sherry-like flavors. Tough to believe this is beer as it has little head but remained rather clear over eight years. Best served in a snifter or wine glass at cellar temperature and only as a dessert beer. Sip and savor over an hour or so as the ABV is 14% (no typo here either) and I'd guess the IBU 20-30 as it is technically a lager. I don't think they brewed this in 2005 as the Hurlichman (sp?) sold out to Eggenberg, IIRC, and almost stopped producing this. It is about $18 for a 4 pack and truly one of the better "beers" in the world.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 22nd, 2012, 8:44 am

Old Stock Ale (2009)-North Coast Brewing

Ahh, another year older and another year smoother. I will post this "blind" to my post from last year about the 2011 tasting of this old style ale. I guess the style it most closely resembles is a barleywine with a much softer hop blast. Pours a slightly cloudy brown but not quite as dark as a porter and has a small tan head. This likewise resembled a sherry with a cloying sweetness, much like dark caramel or brown sugar, a bit of mild chocolate and dark cherries with a moderate booziness to it. I'd guess the IBU to be 60-70 and the ABV is 11.5% so I poured it at about 50 degrees in a pint glass for a night cap and sipped for 30-45 minutes. I have one or two remaining and I'll taste them annually.

History/research note: I have no prior review of the 2009 version. My prior review was of the 2007 edition.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 22nd, 2012, 11:34 am

Damnation (2009)-Russian River Brewing

This is the only Russian River brew I believe I have ever tasted. Apparently, not much escapes southern California. I found this caged and corked 750 bottle at a package goods store in Vail while we attended a meeting and skiied almost 3 years ago. Well worth the wait. It is a very fine likeness of a typical Belgian golden ale like Duvel. Pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a very pretty Belgian lace head and aromas of fresh apples and pears. There is a bit of peppery spice on tasting it with the same tastes of fresh fruit as in the bouquet. There must be some wheat malt, too, as a hint of orange is also perceived. I'd guess IBU to be about 30 and the ABV is on the bottle at 7.75% so I divided the bottle over 2 nights. A fruit plate or some soft cheeses and crackers would be pleasant with this as an appetizer or with dessert, perhaps with a fresh fruit tart, too. Another fine benefit of this ale is that I get to give myself another spork by including the label in my post:

:D =))
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 24th, 2012, 6:27 pm

devildeac wrote:Christmas Ale-Goose Island Brewing

Yet another slant on a winter seasonal and a high quality one, too. All the typical characteristics of a brown ale are here with a rich, clear pour, modest head and nutty tastes and aromas. There are hints of creamy milk chocolate, too. Bitterness is modest, guessing about 30 and the ABV is 6.2%. This would be a nice pairing with burgers, ribs or a pork roast. Lavabe sent this 4 pack for holiday enjoyment and I have 3 left and will probably trade 2 and keep the final one for a year and sample it again as they claim it ages well for 5 years. Many thanks.

Goose me.

Glad to see it worked out. Would like to try it in December 2012.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 24th, 2012, 9:58 pm

From March, 2011:

Quad-Weyerbacher Brewing

Another celebratory brew after the Fight Club win last PM. I am not sure why this is a quadruple. Could be 4 malts, 4 yeasts, 4 hops or 4 fermentations. Or all of the preceding. The style is really a Belgian dubbel but it is a bit lighter in color (medium-light brown) with a small head and a nose rich with dark, dried fruits like raisins, dates and figs and tastes to match. Most ales of this style have candi sugar and this tastes no different with the presence of light brown sugar and rummy notes, too. I'd guess the IBU to be about 30 and the ABV is high for a dubbel (but not for a quad) at a stunning 11.8%, so pull out your snifter, let it the brew warm a few minutes on the counter and enjoy as your dessert. I found this as a 4 pack in Asheville about 6 weeks ago for about $14. Not cheap but well worth the purchase.

From last week:

Quad (2011 version)-Weyerbacher

As advertised, this has become somewhat more complex over a year of aging. The tastes and aromas are similar to my thoughts from 2011 but with richer and darker rummy and brown sugar flavors. No barrel aging (though they have done that in the past with this brew and called it Blasphemy, IIRC) and no additives except the candy (or candi) sugar. Once again, worth the price to have one this year and age the others for a couple or three years.