LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by DukieInKansas » August 20th, 2012, 2:03 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:My new choir does a dinner theatre every year to raise funds. The theme for this season's show (coming in January) is the music of Rodgers and Hammerstein. I need to pick a song; I'm hoping that "You'll Never Walk Alone" hasn't already been claimed. Any other suggestions?
Oh, so many options. My first thought went to South Pacific, and maybe, "You've got to be carefully taught," (if you wanted to convey a message) or "cockeyed optimist" for an upbeat spin. But then I see they did "Sound of Music," and "Climb Every Mountain" would seem almost mandatory.

There is always "I'm Gonna Wash that Boss Right Out of My Hair" :D :D :D
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 20th, 2012, 12:54 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:My new choir does a dinner theatre every year to raise funds. The theme for this season's show (coming in January) is the music of Rodgers and Hammerstein. I need to pick a song; I'm hoping that "You'll Never Walk Alone" hasn't already been claimed. Any other suggestions?
Oh, so many options. My first thought went to South Pacific, and maybe, "You've got to be carefully taught," (if you wanted to convey a message) or "cockeyed optimist" for an upbeat spin. But then I see they did "Sound of Music," and "Climb Every Mountain" would seem almost mandatory.

I guess you singing "Nothing Like a Dame" might send the wrong message???
:D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 20th, 2012, 6:50 pm

FSD. Brought home a box of frozen pizzas and when I went to put them in the outside upright freezer, the freezer door wasn't closed tight, there was water on the floor, and everything inside the freezer was ~40F. The blocks of frost that are on the top shelf and ceiling are melting and every box in the freezer is soggy. We're cooking the other box of DiGiorno pizzas (they were soft), and some other stuff to cook tonight for leftovers, and then there is stuff to throw out, like the melted ice cream bars. The freezer door is open and turned to off so melt the rest of the ice on the top shelf and ceiling, and when it's totally defrosted it'll get turned back on and refrozen.

The "culprit" that caused this mishap? The box of DiGiorno pizzas was blocking the door from closing. Did it fall over and push the door open? Perhaps, but I think that someone left it open when the got something out of it the other day. I'm not going to point fingers, it doesn't really matter, but ... X(
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 20th, 2012, 7:17 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:FSD. Brought home a box of frozen pizzas and when I went to put them in the outside upright freezer, the freezer door wasn't closed tight, there was water on the floor, and everything inside the freezer was ~40F. The blocks of frost that are on the top shelf and ceiling are melting and every box in the freezer is soggy. We're cooking the other box of DiGiorno pizzas (they were soft), and some other stuff to cook tonight for leftovers, and then there is stuff to throw out, like the melted ice cream bars. The freezer door is open and turned to off so melt the rest of the ice on the top shelf and ceiling, and when it's totally defrosted it'll get turned back on and refrozen.

The "culprit" that caused this mishap? The box of DiGiorno pizzas was blocking the door from closing. Did it fall over and push the door open? Perhaps, but I think that someone left it open when the got something out of it the other day. I'm not going to point fingers, it doesn't really matter, but ... X(
Man, that is a serious bummer. Sorry.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 20th, 2012, 7:21 pm

Too lazy to start a thread in the Stadium, but has anyone had any success getting their C2C tickets ordered on GoDuke.com? I can't get anything but a dreaded white screen when I try.
Iron Duke #1471997.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » August 20th, 2012, 7:36 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:FSD. Brought home a box of frozen pizzas and when I went to put them in the outside upright freezer, the freezer door wasn't closed tight, there was water on the floor, and everything inside the freezer was ~40F. The blocks of frost that are on the top shelf and ceiling are melting and every box in the freezer is soggy. We're cooking the other box of DiGiorno pizzas (they were soft), and some other stuff to cook tonight for leftovers, and then there is stuff to throw out, like the melted ice cream bars. The freezer door is open and turned to off so melt the rest of the ice on the top shelf and ceiling, and when it's totally defrosted it'll get turned back on and refrozen.

What a mess! :(
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 20th, 2012, 9:08 pm

Oh no. What a complete mess. :((

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 20th, 2012, 9:25 pm

Oh, that's the worst. My kids do that all the time.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 20th, 2012, 9:31 pm

I can't figure out how to embed a video and make it work, but I can do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6edvrHiGgt0. The linked video is for Brandy's version of "In My Own Little Corner" from Cinderella. Earlier versions had Julie Andrews and Lesley Warren in the title role. Brandy's vocal range is a bit closer to mine, but I would hope that I don't scoop as much as she does. I say that, but she makes way more money as a singer than I do. :D

You'll Never Walk Alone, from Carousel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDb7YnRNxug (too much of a downer for a dinner theatre?) Group number??

It's a Grand Night for Singin', from State Fair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ASc1-we4gI Wouldn't this be a fun opening number for the entire group?

You've Got to be Carefully Taught, from South Pacific: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHKzn8aHyXg. Pretty bold for the time period in which it was written. This one was DA's suggestion.

A Cockeyed Optimist, from South Pacific (another DA suggestion): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YinLPRDV2f4

Yeah, somehow I think "There Is Nothin' Like a Dame" wouldn't fly. Biggest problem is that we don't have many guys in our choir. :))

Too bad we're doing Rodgers & Hammerstein; otherwise I might be tempted to try this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CImGTTuEMEI
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 20th, 2012, 10:11 pm

AD, you can sing that last song at my funeral. It's in my funeral plan already.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 20th, 2012, 10:28 pm

CathyCA wrote:AD, you can sing that last song at my funeral. It's in my funeral plan already.

If I did that, it would probably look something like the pirated YouTube video of Kristin Chenoweth's last performance in Wicked (the one where she starts crying in the middle of this particular song). Great song choice.

Are you familiar with a poem by Robert Frost called "Never Again Would Birds' Song Be the Same"? I don't have an official funeral plan. If I did, this poem would be in it. The sentiment is somewhat similar to "Because I Knew You". Mental note to self: must dig Robert Frost and Emily Dickinson poetry collections out of stuff in storage.

Hopefully there are no copyright violations in doing this:
Never Again Would Bird's Song Be the Same

He would declare and could himself believe
That the birds there in all the garden round
From having heard the daylong voice of Eve
Had added to their own an oversound,
Her tone of meaning but without the words.
Admittedly an eloquence so soft
Could only have had an influence on birds
When call or laughter carried it aloft.
Be that as may be, she was in their song.
Moreover her voice upon their voices crossed
Had now persisted in the woods so long
That probably it never would be lost.
Never again would birds' song be the same.
And to do that to birds was why she came.

Robert Frost
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 21st, 2012, 9:32 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
CathyCA wrote:AD, you can sing that last song at my funeral. It's in my funeral plan already.

If I did that, it would probably look something like the pirated YouTube video of Kristin Chenoweth's last performance in Wicked (the one where she starts crying in the middle of this particular song). Great song choice.

Are you familiar with a poem by Robert Frost called "Never Again Would Birds' Song Be the Same"? I don't have an official funeral plan. If I did, this poem would be in it. The sentiment is somewhat similar to "Because I Knew You". Mental note to self: must dig Robert Frost and Emily Dickinson poetry collections out of stuff in storage.

Hopefully there are no copyright violations in doing this:
Never Again Would Bird's Song Be the Same

He would declare and could himself believe
That the birds there in all the garden round
From having heard the daylong voice of Eve
Had added to their own an oversound,
Her tone of meaning but without the words.
Admittedly an eloquence so soft
Could only have had an influence on birds
When call or laughter carried it aloft.
Be that as may be, she was in their song.
Moreover her voice upon their voices crossed
Had now persisted in the woods so long
That probably it never would be lost.
Never again would birds' song be the same.
And to do that to birds was why she came.

Robert Frost
I've never seen that poem before. It's beautiful.

I made a funeral plan so that my kids wouldn't play alt/indie music and engage in new age philosophical discussion at my funeral. Not that there is anything wrong with alt/indie music or new age philosophical discussion--it's just not me! LOL

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 21st, 2012, 5:22 pm

Just started teaching my first ever online class. :-ss :-ss :-ss
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 21st, 2012, 6:36 pm

I just found out that the person PHB hired to replace me has already left, as of a couple of weeks ago. He lasted for less than 6 months. =)) :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 21st, 2012, 7:13 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I just found out that the person PHB hired to replace me has already left, as of a couple of weeks ago. He lasted for less than 6 months. =)) :ymdevil:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... See Ya! =)) :)) =))
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » August 21st, 2012, 7:15 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I just found out that the person PHB hired to replace me has already left, as of a couple of weeks ago. He lasted for less than 6 months. =)) :ymdevil:
Vindication!!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 21st, 2012, 9:14 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... See Ya! =)) :)) =))
Quite frankly, I'm stunned - and somewhat amused at the same time. I seriously thought the guy that replaced me would be a lifer; he's a local and has family in St. Louis. However, he got a better job offer.

In all fairness, PHB did this guy a favor. His former boss fired him because he barely worked, according to my sources. PHB went out of his way to make sure the guy's Wash U employee benefits didn't reflect his termination. That's a big deal, considering that the guy has at least one child that's in college. I had heard that the guy was doing an okay job and was working out well. Either that's not entirely true and he didn't last for the 3-month trial period, or he hosed PHB.
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 22nd, 2012, 7:31 am

Wow, tried to log in to CTN this morning and google went nuts on me saying that this site is a threat for a malware attack on my computer, including but not limited to a trojan horse virus it found. Anybody else see this? Any clue why?
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 22nd, 2012, 8:25 am

bjornolf wrote:Wow, tried to log in to CTN this morning and google went nuts on me saying that this site is a threat for a malware attack on my computer, including but not limited to a trojan horse virus it found. Anybody else see this? Any clue why?
See the Warning Will Robinson, we've been attacked thread. This is old news!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 22nd, 2012, 8:36 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Wow, tried to log in to CTN this morning and google went nuts on me saying that this site is a threat for a malware attack on my computer, including but not limited to a trojan horse virus it found. Anybody else see this? Any clue why?
See the Warning Will Robinson, we've been attacked thread. This is old news!
Thanks. Weird that I see it two weeks later though.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...