Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » December 17th, 2011, 7:20 am

Old Fezziwig Ale-Sam Adams/Boston Brewing

I must admit, after not having tasted this brew for about a decade, I was really looking forward to sipping this winter brew and found it a bit disappointing. I think it is much as I remembered it from that long ago, but I am betting my tasted have changed. Pours a clear reddish-brown with a melange of spices on the nose that were fairly prominent on the tongue. A slight bitterness from the orange peel is most prominent but the ginger and cinnamon also appear. I am guessing I just did not care for this particular blend/combination of aromas and tastes and perhaps it is because they use a very similar blend in their Winter Lager that DinK so eloquently described a few days ago and I am just tired of (over)spiced winter brews. IBU probably 30, which would be on par for a brown ale. ABV is 5.9%, also in line with the style. Please don't misinterpret this review. I liked the beer, am happy I found it again in their 12 pack of winter classics, pleased to have sampled it again, would serve it to guests with a slice of pound cake or sugar cookies but would not make it a regular seasonal purchase. Great label, BTW.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 19th, 2011, 8:00 am

Amber Ale-Bell's Brewing

This was a trader from CLD and dukediv2011/12/13 on Saturday when we went to visit them and see their Christmas decorations and 10 week old black English Lab puppy. Pretty typical brew with the expected toasted bread aroma and taste. Clean, crisp medium brown pour with a modest head. The hops are subtle with IBU about 30 and the ABV is 5.8% so a fine brew for a tasting session or with a cookout. A bit lighter in body and texture than their Best Brown Ale and comparable to Fat Tire.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 19th, 2011, 8:49 am

devildeac wrote:This was a trader from CLD and dukediv2011/12/13 on Saturday when we went to visit them and see their Christmas decorations and 10 week old black English Lab puppy.
Aww! Perfect timing! The puppy will probably be 4 to 6 years old, post CLD's med school, when the pup has to deal with retrieving, uh, guarding, your first munchkin! Well, theirs anyway. May not be your first, GPIW ;) B-)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 20th, 2011, 10:51 pm

Old Curmudgeon Ale (2009 edition)-Founders Brewing

Original review (February, 2010):

Another complex winter brew-I bought a 4 pack of this so there just might be a leftover or two for future consideration ;) :D . This is my 1st time ever tasting this concoction which is a slightly reddish-brown old ale with a heavy malt emphasis. I believe it is bottle-conditioned so it is slightly cloudy. They brew this with molasses but I wouldn't think a black molasses style as the flavors are more like dark brown sugar. The oak aging give is a bit of vanilla, wood and whiskey-ish tastes and they are all very pleasant. Frighteningly smooth at a mere 50 IBU and highly potent at 9.8% ABV. I decided to divide one of the bottles over 3 nights and sipped it at very slightly chilled temps out of a larger cordial glass. This is a dessert beer and I was happy with my 4 ounce pour by itself but could imagine serving this with a Granny Smith apple or a large fancy arse pear also.

2011 Update:

Aging does very interesting things with beers. In most cases, it makes them smoother and more port or sherry-like in their characteristics and this concoction is no exception. Almost 2 years later, Old Curmudgeon has also mellowed a bit and is even more sherri-esque (?) on the palate. I divided a bottle over three nights again and thoroughly savored it, perhaps even more than the first tasting. I believe I still have 2 bottles from my original purchase in 2009 and have started looking for another occasion to celebrate :D .

And I still look like the guy on the label.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 21st, 2011, 11:05 pm

Chocolate Bock-Sam Adams/Boston Brewing

This is rather luscious. It is a dark lager that is brewed with chocolate or cocoa nibs from Ecuador, IIRC. The initial brewing was brewed with Scharfenberg (sp?) chocolate from Belgium and was a 750 ml bottle that was about $15 so it was quite spendy. The new version is found in 12 ounce bottles in their Winter Classics 12 pack and pretty widely available. The IBU are low, guessing about 20, and the ABV is on the bottle at 5.8% so a good beer for tasting in a session or having with dessert or for dessert. I chose to drink it slightly chilled as a nightcap. It smells and tastes of dark bread and caramels with an almost creamy milk chocolate feel and taste, too. Moderate sized tan head with little bitterness. There are sadly only 2 of these in the sampler and as far as I am concerned, they could toss the 2 Boston Lagers they stuff in the box and include another one of these and the Black and Brew which I drank tonight. Review to follow :D .
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » December 22nd, 2011, 2:22 am

Upcoming devildeac reviews will result from the geese that will be flying his way on the ILoveJimmy express.
Note to devildeac:
Sad to say that the goose your son wants is not visiting.
One of the ones that will fly by Raleigh is officially in retirement.
Pere Jacques and Matilda will also visit.
But really, you will LOVE the retired goose. :happy-bouncyblue:
Cheers,
Lavabe :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 22nd, 2011, 7:47 am

Lavabe wrote:Upcoming devildeac reviews will result from the geese that will be flying his way on the ILoveJimmy express.
Note to devildeac:
Sad to say that the goose your son wants is not visiting.
One of the ones that will fly by Raleigh is officially in retirement.
Pere Jacques and Matilda will also visit.
But really, you will LOVE the retired goose. :happy-bouncyblue:
Cheers,
Lavabe :D
:whistle:
^:)^
:-w
:happy-bouncyblue:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 22nd, 2011, 7:55 am

devildeac wrote:Old Curmudgeon Ale (2009 edition)-Founders Brewing

Ooooooooohhhh!!! Have you tried this? Have you seen it? Damn, I'm drooling. (I found it because I was trying to find who did the portrait on the original's label.)

Founders releases an old ale in four packs called Curmudgeon each May. The label for Better Half notes that the beer is aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels— just like the previous Backstage Series release, Canadian Breakfast Stout. Based on the timing, one might presume that this is the 2011 batch of Curmudgeon, aged in barrels for several months.
http://beernews.org/2011/12/founders-cu ... l-approved
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 22nd, 2011, 8:14 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Ooooooooohhhh!!! Have you tried this? Have you seen it? Damn, I'm drooling. (I found it because I was trying to find who did the portrait on the original's label.)

Founders releases an old ale in four packs called Curmudgeon each May. The label for Better Half notes that the beer is aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels— just like the previous Backstage Series release, Canadian Breakfast Stout. Based on the timing, one might presume that this is the 2011 batch of Curmudgeon, aged in barrels for several months.
If it hasn't been reviewed here, then I haven't tasted it. Yet. I have not seen it but I will make a stop at Bottle Revolution on my way home today and check on it. That sounds outrageous. You'll have to make a stop in/around Blacksburg over the holidays and let me know it you find it. =p~
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 22nd, 2011, 8:18 am

devildeac wrote:If it hasn't been reviewed here, then I haven't tasted it. Yet. I have not seen it but I will make a stop at Bottle Revolution on my way home today and check on it. That sounds outrageous. You'll have to make a stop in/around Blacksburg over the holidays and let me know it you find it. =p~
I would if I were up there, but we're skipping Hokieville and joining mom in Key West in February.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 22nd, 2011, 9:37 am

devildeac wrote:If it hasn't been reviewed here, then I haven't tasted it. Yet. I have not seen it but I will make a stop at Bottle Revolution on my way home today and check on it. That sounds outrageous. You'll have to make a stop in/around Blacksburg over the holidays and let me know it you find it. =p~
I would if I were up there, but we're skipping Hokieville and joining mom in Key West in February.
:( , but have a great time anyway. Better weather down there.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » December 22nd, 2011, 9:53 am

devildeac wrote:

If it hasn't been reviewed here, then I haven't tasted it. Yet. I have not seen it but I will make a stop at Bottle Revolution on my way home today and check on it. That sounds outrageous. You'll have to make a stop in/around Blacksburg over the holidays and let me know it you find it. =p~
It's scheduled to come out around Valentine's Day as a limited release like Canadian Breakfast Stout. Curmudgeon is one of my all time favorites so I'm hoping to be able to grab a bottle when it comes out but I'm not to optimistic given how limited CBS was.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 22nd, 2011, 12:33 pm

Black and Brew-Sam Adams/Boston Brewing

As you might expect, this is a coffee stout, and a rather good one. Please pass the cream and sugar! This is part of their 12 pack called Winter Classics (more on that later) that is worth purhasing for about $16, IIRC. The color is dark, dark brown with a fluffy tan head and a nose of freshly roasted (or brewed ;;) ) coffee as they use 1.5 pounds of sumatran coffee per barrel. It is a tad bitter and I am not sure if it's the coffee, the hops or both. I'd guess the IBU about 30 and the ABV is 5.8% so you can have this after dinner instead of/in addition to your decaf or with a chocolate dessert. Or, by itself like I did last PM. Let this warm a bit and the coffee and dark chocolate (none added) flavors will please your palate.

Now, about the "Winter Classics." Boston Lager is not a "winter beer," and I would argue that it is not a "classic." So, they could take the 2 bottles from the 12 pack, stick them in another "classic" package and let us have another two of the following: Chocolate Bock, Black and Brew, Holiday Porter, Winter Lager or Old Fezziwig.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 22nd, 2011, 12:53 pm

devildeac wrote:Now, about the "Winter Classics." Boston Lager is not a "winter beer," and I would argue that it is not a "classic." So, they could take the 2 bottles from the 12 pack, stick them in another "classic" package and let us have another two of the following: Chocolate Bock, Black and Brew, Holiday Porter, Winter Lager or Old Fezziwig.
Every time I open one of those samplers I drink the two Boston lagers first just to get them out of the way.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » December 22nd, 2011, 8:21 pm

devildeac wrote:Chocolate Bock-Sam Adams/Boston Brewing

This is rather luscious. It is a dark lager that is brewed with chocolate or cocoa nibs from Ecuador, IIRC. The initial brewing was brewed with Scharfenberg (sp?) chocolate from Belgium and was a 750 ml bottle that was about $15 so it was quite spendy. The new version is found in 12 ounce bottles in their Winter Classics 12 pack and pretty widely available. The IBU are low, guessing about 20, and the ABV is on the bottle at 5.8% so a good beer for tasting in a session or having with dessert or for dessert. I chose to drink it slightly chilled as a nightcap. It smells and tastes of dark bread and caramels with an almost creamy milk chocolate feel and taste, too. Moderate sized tan head with little bitterness. There are sadly only 2 of these in the sampler and as far as I am concerned, they could toss the 2 Boston Lagers they stuff in the box and include another one of these and the Black and Brew which I drank tonight. Review to follow :D .
Strangely, I too enjoyed one of these lovelies last night. I completely agree with your review and agree about dropping out the two Bostons. Alas, they are Koch's favorite and the reason they are ALWAYS in sampler boxes.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 23rd, 2011, 11:01 pm

The Companion-Brooklyn Brewing

What a wonderful, seductive brew! This tastes like a combination of two styles, a wheat wine and a Belgian tripel. I had a pint of this limited production concoction on draft at Tyler's Taproom before the game Monday night at a very reasonable $5.50. The grains are 55% wheat and the remainder is likely composed of lighter roasted barley style such as caramel, Munich or pale malts. The head is small, the carbonation is fizzy and the nose is pretty typical Belgian tripel with orange and clove the most prominent. Tastes mirror the aromas in addition to what I'd guess is the use of light candi sugar in the brewing process. I'd guess the IBU about 30, par for a triple but low for a wheat/barley wine. The seductive part comes from the 10% ABV as the booziness is pretty minimal. This was fine with a Buffalo chicken sandwich but would be a better after dinner drink.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 23rd, 2011, 11:33 pm

Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale-Lagunitas Brewing

The story behind the brew:

This sad holiday season we didn’t have the brewing capacity to make our favorite seasonal brew, the widely feared BrownShugga’ Ale. You see we had a couple of really good years (thank you very much) and so heading into this season while we are awaiting the January delivery of a new brewhouse we are jammin’ along brewing 80 barrels of IPA and PILS and such every 3 hours. A couple of months back we realized that since we can only brew a mere 60 barrels of Shugga’ every 5 hours, that we were seriously screwed. For every case of Shugga’ brewed, we’d short 3 cases of our favorite daily beers. It’s a drag. This year, we brewed something that we think is also cool and brews more like our daily brews. The new brewhouse will help insure this kind of failure never happens again. It’s a mess that we can not brew our BrownShugga’ this year and we suck for not doing it. There is nothing cool about screwing this up this badly and we know it. Maybe we can sue our own sorry selves. There is no joy in our hearts this holiday and the best we can hope for is a quick and merciful end. F*@& us. This totally blows. Whatever. We freaking munch moldy donkey butt and we just want it to be all over...
So this substitute beer is a ‘Cereal Medley’ of Barley, Rye, Wheat, and Oats…. Full of complexishness from the 4 grains, and weighing in at 7.85% abv, Then joyously dry-hopped for that big aroma and resinous hop flavor.

The brew:

Interesting take/variation of a winter IPA. The rye gives this a bit of mustiness, the wheat imparts a bit of orange taste and aroma and the oats lend their usual silkiness/smoothness to the mouth feel here. I tasted Ozzie's draft at Tyler's Taproom in Derm before the UNCG game and the aroma and tastes are mostly grapefruity but they are well balanced by the large amounts of grains that give this the IBU of 63 and the ABV of 7.85%. Not quite IIPA levels but in the range for you typical IPA. Generous, foamy head and the flavors paired well with my Buffalo chicken sammich though Oz did not like the brew quite as much as I did and he had a Newcastle as his second brew. My 10% ABV Brooklyn Companion was all I could handle.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 24th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Toasted Lager-Blue Point Brewing

New brew, new brewery to me. Pretty much as advertised, this yellow-golden lager tastes like toasted, buttery homemade bread. A hint of floral hops are very pleasant and the IBU are estimated to be 20-30. I'd guess the ABV to be about 5% so a most pleasing session beverage for sharing or trading. This was a trader from a drug rep who visits my office every couple weeks or so. What the heck, it was 70 degrees in Raleigh 2 days this week so it was an appropriate beer for the weather, too. Back to the darker, stronger winter ales tonight as the highs will be in the 50s and the lows in the 30s :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 24th, 2011, 11:26 pm

Holiday Cheer-Spoetzl Brewing

From the great state of Texas, the town of Shiner brings you this dunkelweizen, or dark wheat ale. Ya got yer malted barley and roasted wheat grains to which Texas peaches and roasted pee-cans are added in the brewing process and you arrive at a clear, medium brown ale that has aromas of dark fruits and cooked peaches. Think slightly overdone peach crisp with a nutty-grainy topping. IBU appear low, guessing 20-30 and the ABV tastes low too, as in the 5% range, so you can drink/share one of these with some grilled/BBQ pork or brisket and finish with a Monster like I did tonight. A Christmas gift from daughter and first SIL. A fine choice.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 25th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Monster (2005 edition)-Brooklyn Brewing

A fine barleywine style ale gets even better with age. Cellaring has made this a bit cloudy but smoothed any the very few remaining rough edges this had when purchased initially in the late fall of 2005. Sherry notes abound with a cloying sweetness. Dark, cloudy brown now with a bit of sediment but very smooth. I'd guess the IBU about 70 or so and the ABV is 11% so I had about 6 ounces of this after a "session" brew each of the last 2 nights and I let the bottle sit on the counter each night for about 15 minutes before decanting. Don't "spoil" this with a meal or dessert but just sip on it by itself until the last molecule is drained from your brandy or cordial glass. I have seen some 2007 Monster at Total Wine and Bottle Revolution in Raleigh so the distributors/warehouses must have stockpiled this (or they brewed WAAAYYY too much) for its re-release and I'd suggest a 6er, drinking 1 now and saving the rest for special occasions over the next several years if you have the patience.