Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » December 5th, 2011, 9:33 pm

Double Stout Black Ale-Green Flash Brewing

Another fine offering from the folks in San Diego. This is almost black as night but a bit less viscous and oily than other RIS brews. The oats certainly make this a very silky texture however. The IBU are a bit low for the style at 45. For that matter, the ABV of 8.8% is also a shade low but neither detract from the dark chocolate flavors with the slightest hints of espresso. We are at a meeting in Williamsburg and I bought this 12 ounce bottle for a very reasonable $3 at The Cheese Shop to accompany a dinner full of salads, including a rather unique slaw, broccoli/carrot/cheese/raisin salad and a 3 (or 4) bean salad. The meal was finished off with 1/2 of a giant oatmeal raisin cookie.

Brewer's notes:

Golden naked oats mashed with dark crystal and robust roasted malts create a luscious black brew with satin smooth finish. An old-world style, done the Green Flash way. Big, bold, flavorful and complex.

Nice label, too:

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 5th, 2011, 9:39 pm

I must find a bottle of this ale:

=))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 6th, 2011, 8:01 am

devildeac wrote: A Belgian style ale brewed with peppercorns.
Since my eyes and brain have not fully woken up yet, I read "A Belgian style ale brewed with popcorn". Time for more coffee. ~O)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 6th, 2011, 8:03 am

I bought grains this weekend for my next batch of brew, which I haven't done in over a year. L-) I'm going to do some sort of stout, and for added fun I bought a bag of toasted oak chips to add to the fermentation bucket. The chips are now soaking in bourbon, and will be for the next week until I brew. Hoping to get to it this Sunday.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 7th, 2011, 10:00 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I bought grains this weekend for my next batch of brew, which I haven't done in over a year. L-) I'm going to do some sort of stout, and for added fun I bought a bag of toasted oak chips to add to the fermentation bucket. The chips are now soaking in bourbon, and will be for the next week until I brew. Hoping to get to it this Sunday.
I've been doing some reading on this and found some interesting thoughts. The first thought is that I better be ready to age this. Here's a couple quotes from a home brewer's forum I follow....(Both from same guy)
Yes. I have a bourbon oaked beer that I oaked for 10 days, and it's now becoming drinkable.
I used one ounce of medium toasted oak for three gallons. I bottled it on 8/16/09, and it's now still "oaky" but not as intense as it was. It's now pretty drinkable.
Christmas THIS year? Um, well, it'll be really, really oaky then, especially if you use 4 ounces of oak chips like you mentioned in your post. Like I said, I used ONE ounce for 3 gallons back in August, and it's just now becoming drinkable 3 months later. If you want it for Christmas this year, I'd suggest no more than 1 ounce, and just a couple of days!
I've got 4oz of chips soaking, and I planned on fermenting it for the full 10 days or so that it usually takes. I might change that thought now, and add the chips when I have about 6 days to go. Another thought is that I only use half the chips, and leave the other half to happily continue soaking until my next batch. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 7th, 2011, 11:50 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I bought grains this weekend for my next batch of brew, which I haven't done in over a year. L-) I'm going to do some sort of stout, and for added fun I bought a bag of toasted oak chips to add to the fermentation bucket. The chips are now soaking in bourbon, and will be for the next week until I brew. Hoping to get to it this Sunday.
I've been doing some reading on this and found some interesting thoughts. The first thought is that I better be ready to age this. Here's a couple quotes from a home brewer's forum I follow....(Both from same guy)
Yes. I have a bourbon oaked beer that I oaked for 10 days, and it's now becoming drinkable.
I used one ounce of medium toasted oak for three gallons. I bottled it on 8/16/09, and it's now still "oaky" but not as intense as it was. It's now pretty drinkable.
Christmas THIS year? Um, well, it'll be really, really oaky then, especially if you use 4 ounces of oak chips like you mentioned in your post. Like I said, I used ONE ounce for 3 gallons back in August, and it's just now becoming drinkable 3 months later. If you want it for Christmas this year, I'd suggest no more than 1 ounce, and just a couple of days!
I've got 4oz of chips soaking, and I planned on fermenting it for the full 10 days or so that it usually takes. I might change that thought now, and add the chips when I have about 6 days to go. Another thought is that I only use half the chips, and leave the other half to happily continue soaking until my next batch. :D
D is the correct answer-all of the above. =)) =p~
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » December 8th, 2011, 3:04 pm

workbeer.JPG
workbeer.JPG (42.13 KiB) Viewed 513 times
This is the beer I was drinking last night that we found at a brewery in Missouri. Crown Valley Brewery has a website too. Here's their spiel on the beer - mostly over my head, I just plain liked it and spent a lot of time "sampling" ALL the flavors! Hic....

WORK TRUCK WHEAT BEER
Southern German Hefeweizen
5.3% ABV
History: Traditional wheat based beer originating in Southern Germany. Specialty beer for the summer but is brewed all year long.

Impression: A very complex unfiltered wheat beer. A distinct banana-like fruitiness is very apparent. Slight hints of clove and nutmeg underlie the medium-light body. Very lightly hopped, the first impression is the fruity esters and bread like characteristics from the malted wheat. Very easy to drink. Not for the average beer drinker. A beer best drank young; matures in only a few weeks of aging.

Tasting Notes: Traditionally this beer can be served with a slice of lemon. This adds a bit of citrus note that compliments the fruitiness. No fruit is added. All of the flavors come from a unique yeast strain from Bavaria. The esters are produced during fermentation.

Hops - Hallertau Mittelfrüh
Malts - Pale, Pilsner, Wheat
IBU - 14.5
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » December 8th, 2011, 3:06 pm

YIKES! Can you tell I've never uploaded a pix? I didn't mean for it to be lying down! Sorry! :(
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 8th, 2011, 10:53 pm

IowaDevil wrote:YIKES! Can you tell I've never uploaded a pix? I didn't mean for it to be lying down! Sorry! :(
Not a problem. That was probably the way it appeared oriented to you after sampling all those brews =)) .
Good info. I will almost always read the brewer's note after I taste a beer and then decide whether to copy and past them and add my thoughts to them or, give my own impressions first and then post the brewer's thoughts after mine. Thanks for sharing/posting. Now you have to mail me one of those brews ;;) .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 8th, 2011, 11:03 pm

Clutch-New Belgium Brewing

This is another brew from their Lips of Faith series and another very unique bottling. Think RIS blended with Rochefort 8, a Trappist ale. It is not quite as black/oily viscous as a stout but has the dark chocolaty characteristics from all the dark malts used and there are a ton as the ABV is 9%. The southern Belgian style ale, or sour ale, imparts the funky, dark fruitiness to the product with a bit of pucker. The IBU are surprisingly low at 19 as most RIS have them in the 60-80 range. I split an $8 bomber over 2 nights and I am not sure I'd pair this with any entrees but would serve it by itself in a snifter slightly chilled or with a generous wedge of high quality fruitcake. I'd love to taste this on draft, too.

Brewer's notes:

It started as chance, a sandwich shop encounter between a band and a fan. It ended as the Clutch Collaboration. This pleasing, two-part potion was brewed with chocolate and black malts for a rich and roasty overtone, then fused with a dry, substratum of sour for a bold and audacious flavor. Black as night, this beer is blended at 80% stout, 20% dark sour wood beer for a collaboration that begins with a sour edge and finishes with a big, dark malt character, lingering, sweet on your palate.

The two flavors come as raucous and riotous as the Maryland band and their Fort Collins fans, getting loud and making beer, together.
Just the facts Ma'am...
ABV - 9.0%
IBU - 19
Calories - 260
Hops - Target
Malts - Dark Chocolate, Coffee, Black
OG - 20
TG - 3.2
Fruits/Spice - Dark Wood Ale

IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » December 9th, 2011, 9:45 am

devildeac wrote:
IowaDevil wrote:YIKES! Can you tell I've never uploaded a pix? I didn't mean for it to be lying down! Sorry! :(
Not a problem. That was probably the way it appeared oriented to you after sampling all those brews =)) .
Good info. I will almost always read the brewer's note after I taste a beer and then decide whether to copy and past them and add my thoughts to them or, give my own impressions first and then post the brewer's thoughts after mine. Thanks for sharing/posting. Now you have to mail me one of those brews ;;) .
I drank all I had or I'd be glad to share! Hic again! Next time I'm in Missouri I'll bring home extra for you!
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » December 9th, 2011, 1:05 pm

Half Wit Beer for a Half Wit Grandma - Version 2.jpg
Half wit is the other beer I brought home from our multiple brewery & winery tour (yes we had a designated driver that wasn't me). I had to have this one because of the name - Half Wit for a Half Wit Grandma. Can't say it was anything really special but liked it. The website says "A cross between an American Wheat and a Belgian Wit, this refreshing ale is made with white wheat, ground corriander, and fresh whole oranges! Simply delicious served with a slice of orange." Sort of like a Blue Moon on steriods. I'd drink it again.

And this ends my Missouri brewery finds!
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » December 9th, 2011, 1:06 pm

Do note I have the pix right side up this time! Major for me! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 10th, 2011, 10:22 pm

IowaDevil wrote:
Half Wit Beer for a Half Wit Grandma - Version 2.jpg
Half wit is the other beer I brought home from our multiple brewery & winery tour (yes we had a designated driver that wasn't me). I had to have this one because of the name - Half Wit for a Half Wit Grandma. Can't say it was anything really special but liked it. The website says "A cross between an American Wheat and a Belgian Wit, this refreshing ale is made with white wheat, ground corriander, and fresh whole oranges! Simply delicious served with a slice of orange." Sort of like a Blue Moon on steriods. I'd drink it again.

And this ends my Missouri brewery finds!
Well done!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 11th, 2011, 10:56 pm

Tiny-Weyerbacher Brewing

Another unique and winning brew from this brewery in Pennsylvania. Black as night but a bit less oily/viscous than your typical RIS, this brew represents yet another twist to "blending" different styles of beers. The Belgian abbey yeast used in the brewing process gives this imperial stout prominent notes of dark fruits and rum and a bit more smoothness than you might expect. I had half this corked and caged 750 ml bottle tonight as the ABV is a massive 11.8% from the chocolate, black and other deeply roasted malts. I'd guess the IBU to be 60-70 but it is balanced very well by the intense dark chocolate flavors and booziness. Forget the chocolate cake or torte you might serve for dessert with this beverage as it makes a fine after dinner treat all by itself. I have a second bottle of this (couldn't resist at about $8) and I am not sure whether I will share this over the holidays or save it to age for a year and twist off the cork next winter.

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » December 13th, 2011, 12:16 am

And just because it properly belongs here - I once again post this totally plagiarized review of tonight's beer: A Samuel Adams Winter Lager in a commemorative glass. I would have it again.

Bold and rich, with a touch of holiday spice.

The first thing one notices about a Samuel Adams® Winter Lager is the deep ruby color. Then comes the magical aroma which promises something special on the tongue. The cinnamon, ginger, and hint of citrus from the orange peel blend with the roasty sweetness of the malts to deliver a warming, spicy flavor. On the palate Samuel Adams Winter Lager is rich and full bodied, robust and warming, a wonderful way to enjoy the cold evenings that come with the season.
Life is good!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 13th, 2011, 7:42 am

DukieInKansas wrote:And just because it properly belongs here - I once again post this totally plagiarized review of tonight's beer: A Samuel Adams Winter Lager in a commemorative glass. I would have it again.

The first thing one notices about a Samuel Adams® Winter Lager is the deep ruby color. Then comes the magical aroma which promises something special on the tongue. The cinnamon, ginger, and hint of citrus from the orange peel blend with the roasty sweetness of the malts to deliver a warming, spicy flavor. On the palate Samuel Adams Winter Lager is rich and full bodied, robust and warming, a wonderful way to enjoy the cold evenings that come with the season.
And, lo and behold, in its proper place, the SA Winter Lager review.

:-* :clap: ^:)^
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » December 14th, 2011, 4:14 pm

devildeac wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:And just because it properly belongs here - I once again post this totally plagiarized review of tonight's beer: A Samuel Adams Winter Lager in a commemorative glass. I would have it again.

And, lo and behold, in its proper place, the SA Winter Lager review.

:-* :clap: ^:)^
I have to get extra posts somehow. :D
Life is good!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 15th, 2011, 10:39 pm

Winter Lager-Sam Adams/Boston Brewing

What DinK said. I just finished one of these from the 12 pack of winter classics I bought last week and found it to the letter as described above. I'd add the IBU is probably about 20 and the ABV about 5% so I am going to enjoy about 1/2 of an Old Curmudgeon Ale as a night cap tonight also.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 16th, 2011, 4:59 pm

KBS/Kentucky Bourbon Stout (2010 edition)-Founders Brewing

This was one of the brews I found at Liquor Bar in Lexington, Kin-tucky sometime in early 2010. Or was it summer, 2009? Or did Lavabe bring it to me at Christmas in 2008 or 2009? Oh, never mind. I reviewed this in April, 2010 as a beer of celebration after our NC. I had bottle #2 from the 4 pack Tuesday night after finding out my youngest daughter received an acceptance to medical school that afternoon. More about that later. Well, enough drivel and on to the tasting.

This is simply a fabulous beer. After 18 months (or more) of cellaring, I found it to be even richer, smoother and perhaps even blacker than the first bottle. Coffee and dark chocolate are the opening aromas and appropriately so as both ingredients are used in the brewing process. Hints of vanilla from the aging in oak bourbon barrels appear during the initial tasting and the moderate booziness of the bourbon enters at the end of the taste. Incredibly complex brew. IBU are 70 and the ABV is 11.2% so this was my ale for the entire evening and I savored it slightly chilled from a Duke Hall of Fame goblet Ozzie brought me last month. No cookies. No cake. No brownies. Just the imperial stout. Heaven in a glass. I have 2 more left. Wonder how/when I will partake of the third one of the litter...