LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by colchar » March 12th, 2012, 1:17 am

There is all kinds of crap about NCAA basketball in the sports pages and on the TV sports stations today. Is there something important going on in college basketball right now?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » March 12th, 2012, 7:29 am

colchar wrote:There is all kinds of crap about NCAA basketball in the sports pages and on the TV sports stations today. Is there something important going on in college basketball right now?
Yeah, not sure. I spent most of yesterday disassembling a 1968 Firebird. Floors were shot, I could stand on the ground inside the vehicle.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » March 12th, 2012, 8:02 am

YmoBeThere wrote:
colchar wrote:There is all kinds of crap about NCAA basketball in the sports pages and on the TV sports stations today. Is there something important going on in college basketball right now?
Yeah, not sure. I spent most of yesterday disassembling a 1968 Firebird. Floors were shot, I could stand on the ground inside the vehicle.

I had a 69. Convertible. 400. My mother bought it new...I got it when I got my license. I loved that car. Loved. Seriously loved. In other news, that car should have killed me more than once. :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » March 12th, 2012, 9:12 am

lawgrad91 wrote:I ordered an iPad 2 tonight. There's free engraving if you order online, and so I chose "Duke Fans 4ever. Let's Go Devils!" for my two lines of engraving.

:9f:
You are going to love it! If you don't have a laptop to use for Section 21, you need to check out Zaggfolio - makes game night a whole lot more fun! :)

Need anymore help spending your money I'd be glad to help! :D
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 12th, 2012, 9:54 am

IowaDevil wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:I ordered an iPad 2 tonight. There's free engraving if you order online, and so I chose "Duke Fans 4ever. Let's Go Devils!" for my two lines of engraving.

You are going to love it! If you don't have a laptop to use for Section 21, you need to check out Zaggfolio - makes game night a whole lot more fun! :)

Thanks!

Theoretically I have half an iPad. I helped pay for it, but I only see it when the Rev Lawgrad is packing it in his knapsack to take someplace, or is surfing on it at bedtime. He said I could "borrow" it when I have my conference in April, but I thought it would be better to have my own. He offered to trade me "our" iPad for my MacAir Pro, and I told him no.

If I have any extra $$ lying around, I'll be sure to let you know. =))

Iron Duke #1471997.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » March 12th, 2012, 8:27 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
IowaDevil wrote:

Thanks!

Theoretically I have half an iPad. I helped pay for it, but I only see it when the Rev Lawgrad is packing it in his knapsack to take someplace, or is surfing on it at bedtime. He said I could "borrow" it when I have my conference in April, but I thought it would be better to have my own. He offered to trade me "our" iPad for my MacAir Pro, and I told him no.

If I have any extra $$ lying around, I'll be sure to let you know. =))

Good choice. With the iPad 3s coming out, the 2s are cheaper.
@};- @};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » March 13th, 2012, 2:27 am

Damn it's early. I should be in bed asleep.

@};- @};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 13th, 2012, 9:52 pm

For the rest of my beach-dwelling friends, are tourists always such idiots? The population of Galveston has increased due to Spring Break, and the stupid factor is off the charts. Most of my commute is on Seawall Boulevard - the Gulf of Mexico is on one side of the road; loads of hotels, restaurants, and shops are on the other. I was amazed at the number of people who would step out into the middle of oncoming traffic in order to cross the road. Seawall Blvd is 5 lanes (2 lanes each way with a turn lane in the center). It's not like there are no stop lights, either. Between the stop lights and the jaywalkers, traffic was at an absolute crawl. I will definitely be finding an alternate route home from work. Early morning isn't so bad, but the afternoon commute is awful.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » March 13th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Just wishing that there aren't any parking issues for you to have to deal with. :D :wizard:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DukePA

Post by DukePA » March 13th, 2012, 11:14 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:For the rest of my beach-dwelling friends, are tourists always such idiots? The population of Galveston has increased due to Spring Break, and the stupid factor is off the charts. Most of my commute is on Seawall Boulevard - the Gulf of Mexico is on one side of the road; loads of hotels, restaurants, and shops are on the other. I was amazed at the number of people who would step out into the middle of oncoming traffic in order to cross the road. Seawall Blvd is 5 lanes (2 lanes each way with a turn lane in the center). It's not like there are no stop lights, either. Between the stop lights and the jaywalkers, traffic was at an absolute crawl. I will definitely be finding an alternate route home from work. Early morning isn't so bad, but the afternoon commute is awful.
Pretty much, yeah. I have learned when, and where, not to drive during tourist season. The tourists make Stevo nuts, but really don't bother me. It's a small price to pay to live in paradise :)
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 13th, 2012, 11:31 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:For the rest of my beach-dwelling friends, are tourists always such idiots? The population of Galveston has increased due to Spring Break, and the stupid factor is off the charts. Most of my commute is on Seawall Boulevard - the Gulf of Mexico is on one side of the road; loads of hotels, restaurants, and shops are on the other. I was amazed at the number of people who would step out into the middle of oncoming traffic in order to cross the road. Seawall Blvd is 5 lanes (2 lanes each way with a turn lane in the center). It's not like there are no stop lights, either. Between the stop lights and the jaywalkers, traffic was at an absolute crawl. I will definitely be finding an alternate route home from work. Early morning isn't so bad, but the afternoon commute is awful.
Yes, tourists are idiots. Watch out for them, especially the drunken ones.

My SIL lives at the OBX, and she avoids the grocery store at all costs on "changeover" days during the tourist season.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 14th, 2012, 6:59 am

ArkieDukie wrote:For the rest of my beach-dwelling friends, are tourists always such idiots?
Yes. Some of the locals are pretty damn stupid too.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 14th, 2012, 7:24 am

CathyCA wrote:

My SIL lives at the OBX, and she avoids the grocery store at all costs on "changeover" days during the tourist season.

That's another good piece of advice. Kroger was packed on Monday, mostly with non-locals.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 14th, 2012, 7:28 am

captmojo wrote:Just wishing that there aren't any parking issues for you to have to deal with. :D :wizard:
I have a different spot, a bit farther from my apt. The asshat doctors have their BMW crossover back in their space. Airhead leasing coordinator who assigned me to their space is still an airhead.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » March 14th, 2012, 8:27 am

I live a few miles from Clearwater Beach...and yes this time of year sucks long and hard for traffic. The good news is once you clear Easter weekend they vanish (poof!) the bad news is...at least here...once summer comes they'rrrrrrreeee baaaaaackkkk although not as bad. The summer crowd is balanced out by schools being out, which always lessens traffic somewhat.

The combination of people on vacation not paying attention and half of them being lost (resulting in sudden lane changes/turns/u turns) makes driving a challenge.

I bail of the main route as soon as I can (I have to take a bridge over Tampa Bay so my choices are limitted) and go through the neigborhoods to get home. The speed limit is much lower, but the traffic is much better.

It is a small price to pay to live someplace that people save all year to visit. :happy-sunny: :happy-sunny:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 14th, 2012, 8:58 am

My mom kept commenting on how heavy the traffic in Ft. Lauderdale was last week. It was Spring Break, after all, although we were 10 miles west of the beach, so it was snow birds and not tourists that were on the roads.

Sounds like the problem in Galveston is that they put the hotels on the wrong side of the road. Ft. Lauderdale is the same way on "the strip". If they were beachfront, the occupants wouldn't have to cross the road to get to the beach! Of course, you wouldn't have the view of the Gulf while driving if they did that, and hurricanes would be that much closer to the structures, not that 300 yards of sea-level ground makes much of a difference to storm surge... :p

I like driving on A1A next to the Ft. Lauderdale beach, from Las Olas Blvd up to Oakland Park Blvd, about 2 or 3 miles, to watch the beach goers. Of course, I do it once while I'm down there every second or third trip, not every day as a commute.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 14th, 2012, 10:29 am

CathyCA wrote:

I grew up about half an hour from the Virginia Beach Oceanfront. I love Virginia Beach eight months of the year. Summer tourists, bleh.

Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » March 14th, 2012, 3:06 pm

Tampa schools are on spring break, so my office is half empty.

I am bored out of my mind.

http://www.retronaut.co/

Strolling through history is saving my sanity. Hurry up 4 pm
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 14th, 2012, 3:21 pm

windsor wrote:Tampa schools are on spring break, so my office is half empty.

I am bored out of my mind.

http://www.retronaut.co/

Strolling through history is saving my sanity. Hurry up 4 pm
I got to drive Down East today. (For those that don't know what that is, it's BFE, NC.) It was so pretty so I stopped my van a lot and took pics for future paintings. Now I'm back in my office and bored out of my mind. I just filled out my bracket; we win.
downeast.jpg
downeast2.jpg
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » March 14th, 2012, 3:25 pm

I did remember to downgrade Syracuse in all my brackets. That was probably the days bigest accomplishment.