Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » November 8th, 2011, 4:21 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:Jackpot today with my trading session. I'll start reporting tonight with one of 5 new brews I received, plus 1 repeat but in a bottle instead of in a can. =p~
:-w
Patience, patience, patience.

Good things come to those who wait.
This one might be 1st:

Ravell — Our Odd Porter

An enormous play in one significant act, Ravell is a porter brewed with whole vanilla beans, once available whenever young William and father John deem it so.

TYPE: Porter
YEAST: English Ale
HOPS: Apollo
MALTS: Pale, Crystal, Chocolate

ABV: 5.8
GRAVITY: 14.50 Plato
BITTERNESS: 28
SRM: 90.0
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 8th, 2011, 4:25 pm

devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: :-w
Patience, patience, patience.

Good things come to those who wait.
This one might be 1st:

Ravell — Our Odd Porter

An enormous play in one significant act, Ravell is a porter brewed with whole vanilla beans, once available whenever young William and father John deem it so.

But, it could be this one instead:

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 8th, 2011, 4:26 pm

Nothing like PWing in the Ymm, Beer thread either.

:D
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 8th, 2011, 4:52 pm

devildeac wrote:

That one looks very cherry.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 8th, 2011, 9:38 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:

That one looks very cherry.
As best as I can tell from the somewhat limited info on the label (same as from their web site), there are no additives like fruit or spices. I agree though that it does look like a dark cherry ale.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 8th, 2011, 11:04 pm

Winterbraun-Lost Coast Brewing

Think Downtown Brown, their very good brown ale and add extra quantities of malts like pale, crystal and chocolate along with Saaz hops and you arrive at an almost imperial brown ale. Dark brown and nearly opaque but not as dark as a porter, this smooth and slightly floral fall offering has hints of nuttiness and milk chocolate presence with a small head and the faintest of coffee tastes, too. ABV is 6.5% and the IBU is estimated at 30. This would be fine with steaks, ribs and chili. This is the 1st of my traders from earlier today and I used all my duplicates from my Father of the Bride cooler full of brews to trade for the assortment today.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 9th, 2011, 9:25 pm

Ravell-Magic Hat Brewing

A brew almost as dark as the winter's night, unless, of course, there is a full moon like there is tonight :D . This comes from their "Flavor Flashbacks" series and it is a dark, rich, smooth and roasty porter brewed with vanilla beans. Scents of mocha dominate the olfactory and gustatory senses and vanilla is barely perceptible. Serve slightly chilled with chocolate desserts, by itself or gently drop a scoop of coffee or chocolate ice cream into 6-8 ounces of the brew for a special treat. This was a trader from yesterday as I packaged up my extras from the Father of the Bride selections and this was certainly worth the exchange. Worth a single, especially if you wish to compare it to the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter which I have not tasted in a couple years at least but think the Breck brew may even be a tad better. Stats and brewer's notes below.

Ravell — Our Odd Porter

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 11th, 2011, 5:29 pm

Snow Day-New Belgium

This is basically a black IPA with an intense floral hop bite and prominent notes of chocolate from a new malt, Midnight Wheat. The story the brewers tell about this new brew is far better than I could. I am guessing this replaces 2 Below, their traditional winter offering as it is not on their current beer list.

In 2003, we had a massive 37-inch snowstorm over two days in Fort Collins. Everything shut down for a couple days – no work, no school, no cars. The only way you could get around was by ski or toboggan. When we began brewing Snow Day, we looked to this one storm for inspiration. The dark characters of the malt bill reflect the dark stormy sky at the beginning of the snowfall. But on the third day, the sun broke through and everything was glorious! The name Snow Day evoked joyful freedom. Everyone remembers waiting for the school report as little kids. When you heard your school was closed, you suddenly had all day to play in the transformed, white landscape. Well, that’s the kind of emotion we put into this beer.

Pleasantly hoppy, Snow Day carries the subtle chocolate and caramel flavors of a new brewing malt known as Midnight Wheat. The Styrian Golding, Centennial and Cascade hops bring the backbone of hoppy bitterness to complement the roasty undertones. This beer is the deep garnet of a roasted walnut and presents a creamy tan head, floating artfully atop. Snow Day is bold and hoppy, drinkable and strong.
It reminds you to enjoy the unexpected.
Just the facts Ma'am...
ABV - 6.2%
IBU - 55
Calories - 190
Hops - Styrian Golding, Centennial, Cascade
Malts - Pale, C-80, Midnight Wheat
OG - 17
TG - 2.35

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 15th, 2011, 10:55 pm

Kashmir-Highlands Brewing Company

Last night's brew. This is their IPA and is pretty standard fare. The hops here are piney and resinous and the usual caramel-like malty backbone provides a nice balance. Not to bitter and not a sweet beer. Golden-copper in color with a modest head. IBU are 60 and the ABV is 5.8%, both of which are a bit light for an IPA but no complaints as it makes a nice trader or session beer and a nice dinner beverage with Indian or spicy Chinese entrees. This was one of my Father of the Bride beers so last night was yet another celebration as tonight is and that review follows. And it is an oldie but goodie :D =p~ .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 16th, 2011, 7:25 pm

Monster (2005 edition)-Brooklyn Brewing

Yes, I really kept this beer for almost 6 years and it was worth the wait. Barleywines have the tendency to become smoother and more sherry-like as they age and this one is no exception. When "new," this brew is fairly clear and almost ruby colored. As it aged, it became a bit cloudy and a bit more mahogany. IBU are still high, guessing 70-80, and the ABV is probably a bit higher than the 11% stated on the bottle. The malts impart moderate sweetness and balance the bitterness very well. In addition to the sherry features, there are nuances of raisins, dates, figs and rum. What an ideal way to celebrate #903! This was served slightly chilled and I did not mess around with wine cordial glasses but decanted all 12 ounces into a pint glass and sipped for about an hour after the game last PM. I think I may have a couple 2006 bottles that will be sampled over the holidays along with the usual Samichlaus and Bigfoot/Bigfeet?/Bigfooties?.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 18th, 2011, 10:57 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Mendocino Brewing Talon, I picked this up at Total Wine with a few other bombers I had never tried before. It's a classic barley wine, no better or worse than others I've had lately. I think it was under or right at $7, so for the price it's really worth it. It has a great bite that hangs around for a bit, I'm enjoying the second half of the bottle that I opened 2 nights ago. Keep an eye out, buy it if you see it. 10.5% ABV, high bitterness.
Rumor has it we might be tasting this one tomorrow...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 19th, 2011, 5:52 pm

Unearthly-Southern Tier

They were correct on their label when they stated "most aggressive." This is one heavily hopped brew and I'd guess easily 100 IBU or more. However, the incredible malt backbone with caramel and toffee-like flavors achieves a nice balance to the herbal and piney aromas from the Chinook, Centennial. Cascade and Styrian Golding varieties used in the 3 tiered hopping/brewing process. ABV is high at 9.5%. I was a bit surprised to see red wheat listed as one of the grains but it makes sense now as the rich copper color is slightly tinged with red and orange and it is a bit cloudy to pour with a hint of citrus on the palate. Enjoy this in a snifter for your nightcap or with some curry or spicy Chinese food.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 19th, 2011, 6:13 pm

devildeac wrote:Pumpkinfest-Terrapin Brewing

A pumpkin beer in the Oktoberfest style, or a Marzen, which is actually a lager and you have Pumpkinfest. Take a light amber brew, add a bunch of spices, some pumpkin, a few lighter malts and floral, aromatic hops and you have a pretty traditional pumpkin beer. I'd guess the IBU to be 20 or less and the ABV is 6.1%. I had this last PM but it would be tasty with baked/stuffed French toast (in a casserole or not :D ), fall breads, cookies or cakes or almost anything our chefs at TBCC have grilled this FB season so far. This was a trader with dpslaw. Thanks!
Upon further review, the "trader with dpslaw" has been reversed. Unlike the asshole refs who refused to make the correct call on GT's phantom TD today. This was a trader with August West. Thank you to AW for the brew and the correction. Now back to your regularly scheduled consumption.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 19th, 2011, 11:47 pm

Chocolate Lager-Saranac Brewing (well, it's really Matt Brewing contract stuff for Saranac)

This is really quite a good beer. Of course, I think they stole the idea from Sam Adams and their chocolate bock from several years ago, now available in 12 ounce bottles instead of 750 ml big boys. This is an amber colored lager with some mild caramel malt flavors, floral and very mildly bitter German hops and cocoa nibs from Belize. I'd guess the IBU about 20 and the ABV is listed at 6% so it was a fine opening brew shared with CB&B and accompanied by a bagel and chocolate chip cookies for Brunchgate this AM :D .

Brewer's notes:

Saranac Chocolate Lager is a sinfully delicious deep amber lager made with certified organic cacao from Belize. Our brewers looked far and wide for the highest quality cacao to create a smooth chocolaty taste that only comes from the most exclusive cacao plants. We used the roasted seeds of these decadent plants and perfectly paired them with caramel malt and German Hallertau hops to create a malty chocolate sweet flavor. You'll love savoring this beer with your favorite holiday foods or on its own for a delicious treat!

Beer Style: Chocolate Bock
Malt Selections: Munich, Aromatic
Hop Selections: Hallertau
Color: Dark Amber
Mouthfeel / Body: Full, Sweet
Food Companions: Dark Chocolate, Truffles, Hearty & Full Holiday Foods
Alcohol By Volume: 6.0%
Original Gravity: 15

From their winter 12 pack.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 20th, 2011, 9:45 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Mendocino Brewing Talon, I picked this up at Total Wine with a few other bombers I had never tried before. It's a classic barley wine, no better or worse than others I've had lately. I think it was under or right at $7, so for the price it's really worth it. It has a great bite that hangs around for a bit, I'm enjoying the second half of the bottle that I opened 2 nights ago. Keep an eye out, buy it if you see it. 10.5% ABV, high bitterness.
Rumor has it we might be tasting this one tomorrow...
It's twue, it's twue. Heh-heh-heh!

Talon-Mendocino Brewing (Saratoga Springs, not CA)

Bomber. Copper. Small head. High IBU (80? 90?). High ABV. 10.5%. Caramel/toffee-like. Good deal at $7. Fabulous deal at $3. Worth buying a bunch at that price and say, trading for a Victory Helios ( :)) ). Probably worth aging for a year and bringing one back to Brunchgate next fall. Glad CB&B shared this with several of us yesterday. :clap:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 20th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Blackberry Scottish Style Ale-O'Fallon Brewing

Quite the distinctive brew. This is not a true Scotch ale as it is a bit pale, a bit light on the smoked peat aroma and taste and a bit light on the ABV at about 5-6% but is a nice adventure and diversion brew. Slightly purple-amber color and cloudy with a small head. I'd guess the IBU at 20 or so and the ABV is an estimate, too. No details on the bottle except a rather pretty label. The blackberries are understated but perceptible. Enjoy by itself or with some sweet, tangy BBQ dishes. This was a Father of the Bride brew selected by Lavabe that :clap: I shared with CB&B yesterday morning.

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 21st, 2011, 10:20 am

devildeac wrote:Blackberry Scottish Style Ale-O'Fallon Brewing

Quite the distinctive brew. This is not a true Scotch ale as it is a bit pale, a bit light on the smoked peat aroma and taste and a bit light on the ABV at about 5-6% but is a nice adventure and diversion brew. Slightly purple-amber color and cloudy with a small head. I'd guess the IBU at 20 or so and the ABV is an estimate, too. No details on the bottle except a rather pretty label. The blackberries are understated but perceptible. Enjoy by itself or with some sweet, tangy BBQ dishes. This was a Father of the Bride brew selected by Lavabe that :clap: I shared with CB&B yesterday morning.

Very tasty. I think my comment to DD was that it was "liquidy"..very little body in it, but it was good and something different.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 21st, 2011, 11:46 am

Oktoberfest-Shiner

Never was a Shiner fan and this one did not convince me otherwise. Just another marzen style which had the expected biscuit notes but a bit thin with the IBU and ABV, guessing 20 and 5%, respectively. Those are pretty standard for the style but I am convinced there are no distincive Oktoberfest brews made and this readily falls into that category. It's not a bad brew and would be fine as a session brew at tailgates to try something new or have with sammiches but not worth a 6er and not worth tasting again. This was a trader with my drug rep buddy. Certainly better than the Spaten reviewed last month.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 21st, 2011, 4:25 pm

devildeac wrote:Oktoberfest-Shiner

Never was a Shiner fan and this one did not convince me otherwise. Just another marzen style which had the expected biscuit notes but a bit thin with the IBU and ABV, guessing 20 and 5%, respectively. Those are pretty standard for the style but I am convinced there are no distincive Oktoberfest brews made and this readily falls into that category. It's not a bad brew and would be fine as a session brew at tailgates to try something new or have with sammiches but not worth a 6er and not worth tasting again. This was a trader with my drug rep buddy. Certainly better than the Spaten reviewed last month.
I had that at Pint Night a few weeks ago - one of two Shiners they offered*. It was very drinkable, but nothing distinctive about it.

*I ordered one of them from my waiter, but darn it, the helper waitress brought the wrong one (unbeknownst to me) just before as the waiter brought the right one, and I had already taken a drink of it. He decided to leave both. I have both glasses B-)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 21st, 2011, 4:46 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:Oktoberfest-Shiner

I had that at Pint Night a few weeks ago - one of two Shiners they offered*. It was very drinkable, but nothing distinctive about it.

*I ordered one of them from my waiter, but darn it, the helper waitress brought the wrong one (unbeknownst to me) just before as the waiter brought the right one, and I had already taken a drink of it. He decided to leave both. I have both glasses B-)
Some guys have all the luck.