LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by DevilAlumna » February 22nd, 2012, 1:12 am

I could have been in Shanghai tonight. Had an opportunity to go for work for a week, but decided I wasn't ready to leave Mr. DA home with FutureDA by himself for that long. (Plus hauling a pump across the Pacific would have been annoying.) Maybe next year?....

Oh, and instead, I had to join on a conference call with others in Shanghai last night, from 5:15PM to 9PM. Blurgh.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » February 22nd, 2012, 7:32 am

DevilAlumna wrote:I could have been in Shanghai tonight. Had an opportunity to go for work for a week, but decided I wasn't ready to leave Mr. DA home with FutureDA by himself for that long. (Plus hauling a pump across the Pacific would have been annoying.) Maybe next year?....

Oh, and instead, I had to join on a conference call with others in Shanghai last night, from 5:15PM to 9PM. Blurgh.
Shanghai is awesome. I love China. Sorry you couldn't get to go. Was it a tough decision?

My boss keeps hinting at a trip to Germany this year. We go every four years but I skipped last visit. Sure would enjoy getting out of the home office for a week to Germany!
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » February 22nd, 2012, 7:34 am

I think my alternator died. Electronics died and came back on a few times last week and now it's in the driveway showing no signs of life. This gives me an excuse to buy a new multimeter.
~O) :-BD
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 22nd, 2012, 8:08 am

CathyCA wrote:Go, Wolfpack! (Just for tonight!)

:9f:
X( :9f:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 22nd, 2012, 8:15 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Go, Wolfpack! (Just for tonight!)

X( :9f:
They sure look/behave like the same old 'Pack to me. The only thing that's really different is the missing red jacket/blazer.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 22nd, 2012, 8:54 am

Miles wrote:I think my alternator died. Electronics died and came back on a few times last week and now it's in the driveway showing no signs of life. This gives me an excuse to buy a new multimeter.
~O) :-BD
My SIL wanted one for Christmas, so I shopped around and bought it on Amazon. I don't have it with me so I can't tell you which it is, but they carry the same unit at Wal-Mart for ~$27, I got it on Amazon for $15, and with free shipping on orders over $25, I bought 2 so I got one too! This DVM has a battery checking function that puts a slight load on batteries (1.5, 6, 9, 12V) so you can get a sense of battery life (red, yellow green lights, along with the voltage). The voltage reads lower when in the checking mode compared to just reading the voltage on the VDC setting, so I know it is putting a load on the battery in the checking mode. The next model up on this brand also can be used for reading RPM, but that's closer to $50, and I didn't need that. I think I got the (brand name)-20. the -10 is a buck or two cheaper and doesn't do the battery checking. Well worth the extra buck!

I almost brought it with me, actually looked at it sitting in my office while putting stuff together to pack the car, and opted not too - why would I need it here? Well, my mom's Sun Pass needs to have it's battery checked (CR2032, 3 V lithium hearing aid type battery). Wish I had it with me...
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 22nd, 2012, 2:11 pm

I'm freaking out. I just got a call from the moving company. They're coming tomorrow instead of Friday. :twitch:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 22nd, 2012, 2:22 pm

Whew - mixup at the local office. They'll be here on Friday as planned.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 22nd, 2012, 2:26 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Whew - mixup at the local office. They'll be here on Friday as planned.
Deep breaths, AD. It's all right.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 22nd, 2012, 3:12 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I'm freaking out. I just got a call from the moving company. They're coming tomorrow instead of Friday. :twitch:
Are they packing you or simply moving you?

If they're packing, then you have no worries, no matter when they arrive.

Are they moving your car, too?

Are you going to sell your place or rent it out?

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 22nd, 2012, 3:28 pm

Probation violation day in the Varnish Zone.

One of our local rocket scientists failed his pee test for cocaine. He denied smoking crack to his PO.

He says he touched what he thought was a mothball but it must have been a crack rock.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 22nd, 2012, 4:01 pm

CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I'm freaking out. I just got a call from the moving company. They're coming tomorrow instead of Friday. :twitch:

They're packing my stuff, but I'm sorting through junk that I don't want to move. I bought a new, industrial strength paper shredder and have been going through lots of old papers that I had no need to keep. I've cleared 6-8 boxes of junk. There are a couple more boxes in my storage locker downstairs. They should be especially fun, since my storage locker got flooded on New Year's.

They're not moving my car; I'll be carrying stuff that I don't want to go in the van (camera equipment, jewelry). My condo is going on the market as soon as all the stuff is out of it. I really don't want to deal with renters.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 22nd, 2012, 4:18 pm

I have a candidate for nastiest job ever: cleaning out a rough tote containing standing water and Christmas ornaments stored in boxes. Wet, moldy boxes. I'm really, really allergic to mold. Good thing I had a dust mask to wear.

There was a flood in one of the 2nd floor condos (opposite side of the building) on New Year's Eve. The owner didn't discover it until the next morning. Her place got messed up, but the worst damage was sustained in the unit directly across the hall from mine. From what I've seen, they've had to completely gut her place from the water damage. My storage locker is located directly beneath the place where the water damage occurred. Somehow, someone got into the locker and rearranged things. I didnt' determine this until a few weeks ago, and I didn't notice the water in the rough tote until last week. Who would've thought water would get inside a rough tote?

Now, here's the question: someone went into my storage locker and cleaned things up from the water. Why the heck did they leave standing water inside a rough tote full of small cardboard boxes? Were they just asking for a mold farm? It's a clear, plastic box. The water line is clearly visible. Also, why wasn't I notified? Maybe they didn't know whose storage locker it was, but it would've been easy for the property manager to send an e-mail to everyone in the building and give a heads-up. They never did this - I found out about the flood a few weeks later from another building resident.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 22nd, 2012, 4:27 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I have a candidate for nastiest job ever: cleaning out a rough tote containing standing water and Christmas ornaments stored in boxes. Wet, moldy boxes. I'm really, really allergic to mold. Good thing I had a dust mask to wear.

There was a flood in one of the 2nd floor condos (opposite side of the building) on New Year's Eve. The owner didn't discover it until the next morning. Her place got messed up, but the worst damage was sustained in the unit directly across the hall from mine. From what I've seen, they've had to completely gut her place from the water damage. My storage locker is located directly beneath the place where the water damage occurred. Somehow, someone got into the locker and rearranged things. I didnt' determine this until a few weeks ago, and I didn't notice the water in the rough tote until last week. Who would've thought water would get inside a rough tote?

Now, here's the question: someone went into my storage locker and cleaned things up from the water. Why the heck did they leave standing water inside a rough tote full of small cardboard boxes? Were they just asking for a mold farm? It's a clear, plastic box. The water line is clearly visible. Also, why wasn't I notified? Maybe they didn't know whose storage locker it was, but it would've been easy for the property manager to send an e-mail to everyone in the building and give a heads-up. They never did this - I found out about the flood a few weeks later from another building resident.

EWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I hope that your Christmas ornaments weren't Radkos or anything expensive. Can you make an insurance claim?

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 22nd, 2012, 4:28 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

They're packing my stuff, but I'm sorting through junk that I don't want to move. I bought a new, industrial strength paper shredder and have been going through lots of old papers that I had no need to keep. I've cleared 6-8 boxes of junk. There are a couple more boxes in my storage locker downstairs. They should be especially fun, since my storage locker got flooded on New Year's.

They're not moving my car; I'll be carrying stuff that I don't want to go in the van (camera equipment, jewelry). My condo is going on the market as soon as all the stuff is out of it. I really don't want to deal with renters.
Can you make the car trip in one day, or will you stop overnight in a hotel?

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 22nd, 2012, 4:32 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Probation violation day in the Varnish Zone.

One of our local rocket scientists failed his pee test for cocaine. He denied smoking crack to his PO.

He says he touched what he thought was a mothball but it must have been a crack rock.
Did he smoke or freebase the mothballs? :-B

~ James Naismith
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » February 22nd, 2012, 4:57 pm

Oh the clientle you come across are just top notch citizens aren't they? :-o
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 22nd, 2012, 5:57 pm

CathyCA wrote:

Update to this story: his mama dragged herself to the witness stand, begging the judge to let him out since he takes care of her due to her fibromyalgia (and gets PAID for it! Can I get paid for taking care of B when he has his gall bladder out?) and also because he's taking courses at the National Business College and online through Liberty University.

His course of study?

(wait for it)

ENGINEERING!

He won't be back in college for the next 3 years.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 22nd, 2012, 6:06 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Update to this story: his mama dragged herself to the witness stand, begging the judge to let him out since he takes care of her due to her fibromyalgia (and gets PAID for it! Can I get paid for taking care of B when he has his gall bladder out?) and also because he's taking courses at the National Business College and online through Liberty University.

His course of study?

(wait for it)

ENGINEERING!

He won't be back in college for the next 3 years.
Will he be able to continue with the online courses? I'm sure Liberty University is open to convicts continuing in school. :D
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 22nd, 2012, 6:29 pm

CathyCA wrote:Can you make the car trip in one day, or will you stop overnight in a hotel?

It takes roughly 14 hours to drive from here to Galveston (maybe a little longer). Conveniently for me, Little Rock is on the way, and it takes around 6 hours to get there from here. I'll be spending the night with my sister and her family; they live just outside Little Rock. It's convenient, almost halfway to my final destination, and I get to play with my two nieces. :D
-- Albert Einstein