LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 19th, 2012, 8:30 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Another brag by a proud aunt: Nephew Sam is currently participating in Thon - the 46 hour dance marathon held at Penn State every year. It is an honor to be selected as a dancer. It is even more of an honor to be selected as a dancer as a freshman. Sam rocks!
That is wonderful! I'sure Sam is a great kid. :happy-bouncyblue:
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » February 19th, 2012, 10:35 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
Turk wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote: There are around 500 dancers but a total of 15,000 students involved. Thon is the largest student run philanthropic organization. Last year, they raised $9.5million, I believe.
Hope I don't ruin anyone's day with a little rant, but there is one part of the Penn State fundraising activity that drives me nuts. Once every month or two during the school year, the kids stake out several busy intersections in this little corner of suburbia and beg for change from passing motorists. I hate it, and can't figure out how that's the best idea they can come up with for local community involvement. Heck, if they're going to risk getting run over, they could at least squeegie my windshield for me instead of just leaning against the telephone pole rattling a coffee can with a Penn State logo at me as I drive by.

What's even more puzzling is that we're about 3 hours away from State College. There's a branch campus about 10 miles away, so maybe a few thousand of the "involved" students are working the streetcorners all across the Commonwealth...
i'm not sure it is the best way for the other campuses to raise funds, but the overall organization topped $10million dollars this year.
P.S. DiK, congrats to Nephew Sam; they did run some clips of Thon highlights; quite an impressive event on-campus...
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 19th, 2012, 11:19 pm

Thanks, Turk and VDB. I think all my nieces and nephews are pretty special - no bias here. ;)
Sam is following in his brother's footsteps and participating in lots of things on campus as well as hitting the books. They are both living out the advice their grandfather would have given them - there is more to an education than books.
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 20th, 2012, 8:54 am

I'm playing the oh-so-fun game of "keep it, toss it, or shred it?" today. I'm currently sorting through piles of papers that should've been dealt with years ago. So, here's a question for those of you in the know: what sort of papers should I keep, and how long should I keep them? Tax returns and relevant papers for at least 5 years, right? Paperwork relating to real estate? What about other receipts?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 20th, 2012, 10:40 am

ArkieDukie wrote:I'm playing the oh-so-fun game of "keep it, toss it, or shred it?" today. I'm currently sorting through piles of papers that should've been dealt with years ago. So, here's a question for those of you in the know: what sort of papers should I keep, and how long should I keep them? Tax returns and relevant papers for at least 5 years, right? Paperwork relating to real estate? What about other receipts?
Tax stuff 7 years.

Receipts and related repairs/service for major purchase...until I get rid of the car/tv/computer

Insurance claims (only had two fo these) the car claim..til the car was gone. the house claim...still have it.

Insurance policies...5 years

regular bills...ha...less than 60 days. Once the next bill comes and proper credit is applied...the old one is gone.

bank statements - haven't had a paper one in years...ditto credit card etc. If I can get it on line I see no need to keep it
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » February 20th, 2012, 11:45 am

windsor wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I'm playing the oh-so-fun game of "keep it, toss it, or shred it?" today. I'm currently sorting through piles of papers that should've been dealt with years ago. So, here's a question for those of you in the know: what sort of papers should I keep, and how long should I keep them? Tax returns and relevant papers for at least 5 years, right? Paperwork relating to real estate? What about other receipts?
Tax stuff 7 years.

Receipts and related repairs/service for major purchase...until I get rid of the car/tv/computer

Insurance claims (only had two fo these) the car claim..til the car was gone. the house claim...still have it.

Insurance policies...5 years

regular bills...ha...less than 60 days. Once the next bill comes and proper credit is applied...the old one is gone.

bank statements - haven't had a paper one in years...ditto credit card etc. If I can get it on line I see no need to keep it

Not to bring up a bad subject or bludgeon a deceased horse, but I could create a poll on this. Could be helpful? No? Yes?

-EarlJam :happy-bouncyblue:
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 20th, 2012, 4:38 pm

In case you're bored, open this link and click on the picture:

http://garyc.me/fun/bring.swf

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » February 20th, 2012, 4:50 pm

CathyCA wrote:In case you're bored, open this link and click on the picture:

Cool, thanks! I wonder who engineered and/or invented that damn thing. You can use that for SO many more things than a door stopping thingy.

-EJ
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 20th, 2012, 5:36 pm

B's gall bladder surgery scheduled for March 7.
Iron Duke #1471997.
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » February 20th, 2012, 8:05 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:B's gall bladder surgery scheduled for March 7.
Bet he'll feel a whole bunch better once that's over! Vibes from here! :wizard: :ymhug:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 20th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Bwahaha :ymdevil:

Via email tonight, I am schooling PHB in a point of law that he should know but apparently didn't.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 20th, 2012, 10:00 pm

EarlJam wrote:
CathyCA wrote:In case you're bored, open this link and click on the picture:

Cool, thanks! I wonder who engineered and/or invented that damn thing. You can use that for SO many more things than a door stopping thingy.

-EJ
Yes. You could stick business cards or photos in it and display them.

I just like making it go "boing" when I'm bored.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 20th, 2012, 10:26 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Bwahaha :ymdevil:

Via email tonight, I am schooling PHB in a point of law that he should know but apparently didn't.
You go, girl! :happy-bouncyblue:

Schooling PHBs is fun, isn't it? :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 21st, 2012, 9:21 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Bwahaha :ymdevil:

You go, girl! :happy-bouncyblue:

Schooling PHBs is fun, isn't it? :ymdevil:
:)) :ymdevil: It made my day....
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 21st, 2012, 4:06 pm

I went ice skating this morning at Steinberg Rink, the outdoor skating rink in Forest Park. The beauty of going in the morning is that no one else is there. There were only 3-4 other people around to watch me fall and bust my butt. That's what I get for not going skating for several years.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 21st, 2012, 5:39 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I went ice skating this morning at Steinberg Rink, the outdoor skating rink in Forest Park. The beauty of going in the morning is that no one else is there. There were only 3-4 other people around to watch me fall and bust my butt. That's what I get for not going skating for several years.
Now you can cross it off your bucket list! :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 21st, 2012, 6:01 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I went ice skating this morning at Steinberg Rink, the outdoor skating rink in Forest Park. The beauty of going in the morning is that no one else is there. There were only 3-4 other people around to watch me fall and bust my butt. That's what I get for not going skating for several years.
Now you can cross it off your bucket list! :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
That was, in fact, an item on my bucket list. Funny thing is, I bought skates and took lessons when I first moved up here. I fell once and hurt my shoulder and completely lost my skating mojo. I think I'll pass my ice skates along to my 11 year old niece.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 21st, 2012, 8:21 pm

Go, Wolfpack! (Just for tonight!)

~ James Naismith
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » February 21st, 2012, 10:17 pm

Today was another day...
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » February 22nd, 2012, 1:09 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Today was another day...
Indeed, it was. Felt a heck of a lot like a Thursday. Alas.