LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 11th, 2009, 7:18 pm

DukePA wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote: Plus I get to look forward to a trip to the beach and meeting my non-creepy internet friends. :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: \:D/
Me too!! Stevo will likely be headed to Kerr Lake to hang out with my folks that weekend and finally get to use his boat for the first time this summer. I think the thought of all us Duke girls scares him. Besides, he realizes a girls weekend is no place for XX chromosome-types :lol:
Umm, I think you meant XY chromosome types :D But I disagree. If I wasn't headed to Pompano Beach, I'd certainly head to Emerald Isle! Strange how y'all planned it like that ;) Darn!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 11th, 2009, 8:49 pm

I gotta stop having colonoscopies and anniversaries, I'm moving toward the top of the heap with all this recent posting... :oops: :roll:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 11th, 2009, 9:06 pm

devildeac wrote:I gotta stop having colonoscopies and anniversaries, I'm moving toward the top of the heap with all this recent posting... :oops: :roll:
I could imagine a scenario where one would forget about the former...because of having to remember the latter.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 11th, 2009, 9:13 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
devildeac wrote:I gotta stop having colonoscopies and anniversaries, I'm moving toward the top of the heap with all this recent posting... :oops: :roll:
I could imagine a scenario where one would forget about the former...because of having to remember the latter.
The anniversary I'll remember every year :D . The colonoscopy I'll remember every decade... :oops: :roll: :((
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 11th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Lots of people here but no one is posting...
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 11th, 2009, 10:55 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Lots of people here but no one is posting...
I've been lurking and waiting for someone else to say something interesting. I went for another really long walk (4.6 miles) through Charleston tonight, got back about 9:30, and have been watching the Braves try to fuck this one up and mostly Facebooking since my return.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 11th, 2009, 11:01 pm

...and Rafael Soriano blows through the 9th, preventing the Braves from pissing one away. Good ballgame (sorry, RMD).
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 11th, 2009, 11:25 pm

There are currently more guests (5) than registered users (4) on CTN now.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 11th, 2009, 11:31 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:There are currently more guests (5) than registered users (4) on CTN now.
I have to say (and you guests out there, this is not at all meant as a dig at you), I have no idea why anyone would want to solely lurk in this forum. I sort of understand it on TOWEL, because it's a good source of Duke news, analysis, etc. But our conversations are, to me, only interesting because we all weigh in with our own mix of irreverence, inanity, etc. Is it really a compelling read absent personal participation?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 11th, 2009, 11:34 pm

wilson wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:There are currently more guests (5) than registered users (4) on CTN now.
I have to say (and you guests out there, this is not at all meant as a dig at you), I have no idea why anyone would want to solely lurk in this forum. I sort of understand it on TOWEL, because it's a good source of Duke news, analysis, etc. But our conversations are, to me, only interesting because we all weigh in with our own mix of irreverence, inanity, etc. Is it really a compelling read absent personal participation?
I think some of the guests ARE registered users, but not logged in. Unless you have the auto login feature enabled you show up as a guest, likewise if you log in from a different computer than you usually use. To those who in fact ARE guests only, take the plunge and sign up. Nobody here has yet to qualify as a "creepy internet person".
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 11th, 2009, 11:40 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: I think some of the guests ARE registered users, but not logged in. Unless you have the auto login feature enabled you show up as a guest, likewise if you log in from a different computer than you usually use. To those who in fact ARE guests only, take the plunge and sign up. Nobody here has yet to qualify as a "creepy internet person".
Ah, I hadn't really thought of that. Makes sense. But I'd also like to second the encouragement for any true lurkers to join in.
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » July 11th, 2009, 11:43 pm

Ok a few random thoughts:

1) Sometimes I won't navigate away from the page, but start doing other things on my machine, so it appears I'm lurking when, in fact, I have no clue what's going on here.

2) My mom & I saw Spamalot this afternoon. Her 2nd, my 1st time. It was great. John O'Hurley starred as King Arthur, though honestly, I expected more from him. I thought he was ok.

3) We had Carvel for dessert tonight. Good but could only eat half. I miss Carvel.
3a) Cookie Puss & Fudgie the Whale are still around!

4) I picked up my laundry from the cleaners today. Wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought it'd be.

5) Chloe used one of her 9 lives last night. I let her live after she kept me awake from 2-4am.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 11th, 2009, 11:50 pm

So I really like staying on King St., right in the middle of downtown Charleston, but there's a serious drawback to this place. Directly beneath me is a nightclub...a very thumpy one. Normally, in a noisy sleeping environment, I'll just pop in some earplugs and be mostly fine. The only problem is, earplugs are only marginally effective against the lower frequencies of bass pumping through the floor. About half the nights of the week, the damn place is so loud that I just wait until it closes at 2 a.m. to even try going to sleep. Tonight will be one of those nights. Naturally, Saturday is probably the thumpiest night, but it's not so terrible for tonight, as the archive is closed tomorrow anyway and my only real plan is to spend several hours on the beach. But on weeknights, 2 a.m. bedtimes don't work so well, as I have to be up by 7:45 to get to the archive when it opens. The whole thing is fucking up my sleep patterns pretty seriously (witness my three-hour nap this afternoon), but there's just not much to be done until I leave here. When I come back next year, this won't be such a problem, as a longer term lease shouldn't be quite as hard to find as a sublet (and anyway, I want to find a place with at least a small yard for Walter when I come back), but damn, for now it blows.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 12th, 2009, 12:55 am

Aw, come on people! My previous post means that at least somebody is supposed to stay up late and hang out with me. Our resident Californian gets a pass, what with Sue's recent troubles. But RMD, where the hell are you? (Oh, you say you have a life beyond posting on Saturday night? Gotcha. Sorry.)
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 12th, 2009, 12:55 am

Maybe I'll just keep posting to myself and pass Tilly into the top 5 (at least for a little while).
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 12th, 2009, 12:56 am

wilson wrote:Maybe I'll just keep posting to myself and pass Tilly into the top 5 (at least for a little while).
Yeah, that's the ticket...
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 12th, 2009, 12:57 am

Only 63 more minutes until that infernal nightclub closes.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 12th, 2009, 12:58 am

wilson wrote:Only 63 more minutes until that infernal nightclub closes.
Until then, I'm just blasting the new Wilco album (again) to more or less drown the joint out.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 12th, 2009, 1:01 am

Anybody got big Bastille Day plans for Tuesday? The archive's closed for a training session, so I'm strongly considering a beach day (although I should go to one of the historic sites around here that have small collections).
I really dunno of a good French beer to drink, though (Kronenbourg is pretty good, but presumably not available here), and I'm not sitting on the beach sipping French wine (to say nothing of the fact that I can't really afford that anyway).
Maybe I'll just speak French at people all day.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 12th, 2009, 1:05 am

When the Google Bot is browsing, does that just mean Google is culling info for their servers, or does that mean some insidious digital being is trying to infiltrate our happy little commune?