LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 9th, 2012, 5:24 pm

I'm just having the best damn day today...can't imagine why, must be something in the air.

:9f:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 9th, 2012, 10:56 pm

I'm so proud of my 10 yr old niece (a 5th grader). One of her classmates was being beaten by a gang of boys, who were yelling all sorts of nasty things at him. My niece and one of her friends got between her classmate and the bullies and ran them off. They took their friend to the nurse's office and reported the bullies to the counselor and principal.

Now for the rest of the story: the classmate that my sweet niece stood up for is gay. You can guess what sorts of horrible things the bullies were yelling at him. How brave is it for two little girls to face down a gang of boys who have another child down on the ground, kicking him? With all the horrible stories you hear these days about kids committing suicide after being bullied, I have to wonder if anyone ever bothered to stand up for them as my niece and her friend did for their classmate. I'm very, very proud of my niece for being brave enough to stand up for someone being bullied. She obviously does a good job of picking friends, too.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 9th, 2012, 10:59 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I'm so proud of my 10 yr old niece (a 5th grader). One of her classmates was being beaten by a gang of boys, who were yelling all sorts of nasty things at him. My niece and one of her friends got between her classmate and the bullies and ran them off. They took their friend to the nurse's office and reported the bullies to the counselor and principal.

Now for the rest of the story: the classmate that my sweet niece stood up for is gay. You can guess what sorts of horrible things the bullies were yelling at him. How brave is it for two little girls to face down a gang of boys who have another child down on the ground, kicking him? With all the horrible stories you hear these days about kids committing suicide after being bullied, I have to wonder if anyone ever bothered to stand up for them as my niece and her friend did for their classmate. I'm very, very proud of my niece for being brave enough to stand up for someone being bullied. She obviously does a good job of picking friends, too.
Kudos to your niece and her friend. They did a wonderful thing. :happy-bouncyblue: :clap:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » February 9th, 2012, 11:30 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I'm so proud of my 10 yr old niece (a 5th grader). One of her classmates was being beaten by a gang of boys, who were yelling all sorts of nasty things at him. My niece and one of her friends got between her classmate and the bullies and ran them off. They took their friend to the nurse's office and reported the bullies to the counselor and principal.

Many hugs to your niece and her friends!!! :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 9th, 2012, 11:37 pm

Of course, I don't know your niece but I am also very proud of her and her friend. What they did is so special and brave. It would be nice if President Obama could know about this. Your niece and her friend deserve a special commemoration. I bet they would get one. :ymhug:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 10th, 2012, 12:12 am

Thanks, all! My niece is a great kid. My sis and bro-in-law are obviously doing a good job with her. She's been taught from a very early age to be non-judgmental, and it has obviously stuck. Example: shortly before I moved to St. Louis, I took her to see "Hairspray." We had quite the conversation during and after the movie about the racial issues that are central to the movie. She simply could not comprehend why the separation between blacks and whites existed - in fact, she thought it was silly. She was 6 at the time. If you ever want a challenge, try explaining 1960s race relations to a precocious 6 year old in terms that they will understand. "Wicked" proved to be equally fun to talk about with her (I took her to see it last year). She's one smart kid and is great fun to have a conversation with. She will seriously keep you on your toes.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » February 10th, 2012, 8:48 am

Good for her.
Whatever the reason for the physical attack, it's never appropriate unless for personal defense. The guilty should be exposed before the public for awareness of their crime.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 10th, 2012, 11:38 am

I love the Capn's profile pic. =))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 10th, 2012, 6:43 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I love the Capn's profile pic. =))
Yep - good one!
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 10th, 2012, 6:45 pm

T-1 week!

NuBarbie is already working on snagging my computer software. She sent an e-mail today asking about getting my copy of SigmaPlot and wants me to give her a tutorial on it. Here's a tutorial for you: it's called learn it yourself like I did. :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 10th, 2012, 7:05 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:T-1 week!

NuBarbie is already working on snagging my computer software. She sent an e-mail today asking about getting my copy of SigmaPlot and wants me to give her a tutorial on it. Here's a tutorial for you: it's called learn it yourself like I did. :ymdevil:
:)) :))
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » February 10th, 2012, 8:18 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I love the Capn's profile pic. =))
Yep - good one!
All stolen! :ymdevil: :bandit: :ymdevil:
Got the picture from somebody on AudioKarma.
Took the sig line from an old school film, shown on a PeeWee Herman show.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 10th, 2012, 10:00 pm

Good answer! :-BD
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 11th, 2012, 12:39 am

What a fantastic young lady = and her friend also. Obviously, she comes from good stock.
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 11th, 2012, 9:16 am

lawgrad91 wrote:

Good answer! :-BD
Is this software you will need if you continue to analysis for them?

Failing that let it be know it is 'very easy to use...she should have no trouble atll figuring it out' (and I do so hope it is NOT easy to figure out! :ymdevil: ) With 1 week to go I don't think that is going to be a top priority. If you don't do it what are they going to do...fire you? =)) =)) =))
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » February 11th, 2012, 10:24 am

I sure hope it made the six o'clock news!!!!! The school needs to recognize them some way, even if privately. This story brightened the rest of my day for sure. Please pass on my congratulations and sincere compliments to those great gals!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » February 11th, 2012, 11:30 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:

I sure hope it made the six o'clock news!!!!! The school needs to recognize them some way, even if privately. This story brightened the rest of my day for sure. Please pass on my congratulations and sincere compliments to those great gals!
Love, Ima
Thanks for sharing that story! Brave niece and her friend! Stand up for yourself and others, and do the right thing! Bullies are stupid! Your 10 year old niece is a Big Hero! :) ^:)^
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 11th, 2012, 6:23 pm

Some little punk OY is arguing quite vociferously that young people LOVE the gray unis, along with all current and former players. He also says that it's only the old fogies that don't like them. For those of you who are FB friends with former basketball players, is this true? Do the players really think the gray unis are all that and a big block of chocolate?
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 11th, 2012, 8:18 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Some little punk OY is arguing quite vociferously that young people LOVE the gray unis, along with all current and former players. He also says that it's only the old fogies that don't like them. For those of you who are FB friends with former basketball players, is this true? Do the players really think the gray unis are all that and a big block of chocolate?
Well, we won in them but I didn't care for them. Of course, I'm an old fogey :)) Capel said (post game radio show) that the players like them. I thought I was watching Georgetown. :p
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 11th, 2012, 8:25 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Some little punk OY is arguing quite vociferously that young people LOVE the gray unis, along with all current and former players. He also says that it's only the old fogies that don't like them. For those of you who are FB friends with former basketball players, is this true? Do the players really think the gray unis are all that and a big block of chocolate?
Well, we won in them but I didn't care for them. Of course, I'm an old fogey :)) Capel said (post game radio show) that the players like them. I thought I was watching Georgetown. :p
JBDuke refuted with a link to Shane Battier's Twitter feed, in which he said he did NOT like the gray unis. Shane said he was old school and preferred white home unis and black road unis. :-o (He said something about the blue road unis bringing back bad memories from the 1999 NCAA Championship game, iirc.)
-- Albert Einstein