Winter Olympics Thread: Vancouver 2010

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Winter Olympics Thread: Vancouver 2010

Post by CathyCA » February 22nd, 2010, 11:35 am

cl15876 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I'm kinda sorta pulling for the Canadians in hockey. Four of my San Jose Sharks play for Team Canada: Dany Heatley, Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton and Dan Boyle. The Sharks sent more players to the Olympics than any other NHL team.

Only one Shark plays for Team USA: Joe Pavelski. San Jose's former coach, Ron Wilson, is coaching Team USA. (He holds dual citizenship, BTW.)

And maybe I'm pulling for the German team just a little bit since Marcel Goc (former Shark) is playing for them, along with Sharks goalie Thomas Greiss.

And I'm pulling for the Swedes since Douglas Murray is playing for them.

And I'm pulling just a little bit for the Russian team since San Jose's goalie, Evgeni Nabokov, is playing for them.

Go Sharks!
My goodness, sounds like a world wide homecoming!!! You are definitely my sports almanac!!!! I love it! :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:
We should do a Sharks game sometime. They are GREAT fun. (BTW, there is a pic of me and Marcel Goc on my FB page.)
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » February 22nd, 2010, 11:37 am

CathyCA wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I'm kinda sorta pulling for the Canadians in hockey. Four of my San Jose Sharks play for Team Canada: Dany Heatley, Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton and Dan Boyle. The Sharks sent more players to the Olympics than any other NHL team.

Only one Shark plays for Team USA: Joe Pavelski. San Jose's former coach, Ron Wilson, is coaching Team USA. (He holds dual citizenship, BTW.)

And maybe I'm pulling for the German team just a little bit since Marcel Goc (former Shark) is playing for them, along with Sharks goalie Thomas Greiss.

And I'm pulling just a little bit for the Russian team since San Jose's goalie, Evgeni Nabokov, is playing for them.

Go Sharks!
My goodness, sounds like a world wide homecoming!!! You are definitely my sports almanac!!!! I love it! :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:
We should do a Sharks game sometime. They are GREAT fun. (BTW, there is a pic of me and Marcel Goc on my FB page.)
Agree! I am in!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 22nd, 2010, 11:44 am

So who do you pull for Tuesday when Canada plays Germany?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 22nd, 2010, 11:45 am

CathyCA wrote:
cl15876 wrote:

Go Sharks!
We should do a Sharks game sometime. They are GREAT fun.
Of course they are. When are Yanks gonna realize that?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » February 22nd, 2010, 12:06 pm

colchar wrote:
CathyCA wrote:We should do a Sharks game sometime. They are GREAT fun.
When the NHL changes commissioners and gets a new TV package, maybe. :ymsmug:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 22nd, 2010, 12:24 pm

colchar wrote:

So who do you pull for Tuesday when Canada plays Germany?
The Sharks! Everyone wins!

I don't know.

I love watching Evgenie Nabokov play, but Marcel Goc came around and made himself available for pictures after I gave blood. So, the better player plays for the Russians, but the nicer guy plays for Germany.

Shoot! I can't upload that picture to this page. What is it with Facebook?

Go to this page: http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=474902 and click on the link for pictures, and you'll see me being visited by Jonathan Cheechoo while I'm giving blood. Can anyone figure out how to get that picture out of a flash so that I can get a copy of it?

I think I'm having picture uploading issues today.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 22nd, 2010, 12:54 pm

Lavabe wrote:
colchar wrote:
CathyCA wrote:We should do a Sharks game sometime. They are GREAT fun.

And when American networks learn how to properly broadcast a hockey game.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 22nd, 2010, 12:56 pm

OMG! Here it is! Me and Jonathan Cheechoo!

Special thanks to 8-X for getting the pic out of the Sharks' flash thing for me.

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 22nd, 2010, 1:06 pm

colchar wrote:And when American networks learn how to properly broadcast a hockey game.
There are a number of things wrong with televised hockey in the U.S. I love to go to a hockey game, but I have precious little interest in watching one on TV. And since they're my hometown team, I'm supposed to care about the Thrashers, but I really don't give a shit.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » February 22nd, 2010, 1:17 pm

colchar wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
colchar wrote:

And when American networks learn how to properly broadcast a hockey game.
Do you have link to a Canadian broadcast? I'm with wilson; I love hockey but it does suck on television.
sMiles
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 22nd, 2010, 1:37 pm

wilson wrote:
colchar wrote:And when American networks learn how to properly broadcast a hockey game.
There are a number of things wrong with televised hockey in the U.S. I love to go to a hockey game, but I have precious little interest in watching one on TV. And since they're my hometown team, I'm supposed to care about the Thrashers, but I really don't give a shit.

On top of their commentators not being very good (although some are) they can't seem to produce the show properly and have some of the worst camera angles (camera placements) I've ever seen. If they wanted to do it right all they'd have to do is come up here and learn from a Canadian broadcaster - the CBC is the best but the others also do a very very good job.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 22nd, 2010, 1:39 pm

Miles wrote: Do you have link to a Canadian broadcast? I'm with wilson; I love hockey but it does suck on television.

I've never had to watch any games online as they are all available on TV here. I'll do some searching later this afternoon (I have essays to grade) to see if I can find anything. I'm also guessing that you can probably find some sort of pay site that shows our broadcasts but I'll see if I can find something that is free.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 22nd, 2010, 1:45 pm

There are some games available at the link below but I have no idea how good the broadcasts will be when watched online. Also, some are only available in Canada while others are only available in the US which makes me think that those might be American broadcasts which kind of defeats the purpose here.

I haven't watched any of the games here but at least it is a place to start.

http://www.hockeywebcasts.com/
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 22nd, 2010, 2:08 pm

This one looks good too.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 22nd, 2010, 2:28 pm

wilson wrote:This one looks good too.

Don't be dissing Blades of Steel Dude. That game was awesome.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 22nd, 2010, 2:33 pm

colchar wrote:

I'm not dissing at all. One of my all-time favorites.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 22nd, 2010, 2:36 pm

wilson wrote:
colchar wrote:

I'm not dissing at all. One of my all-time favorites.

Alright, we can be friends again then.

Another great one was the hockey game from the original Nintendo system.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » February 22nd, 2010, 4:01 pm

Two words:
DON CHERRY
Ol' grapes is... well, his own person. /:)

But that's only part of it. Frankly, when I lived in St. Louis, the Blues had GREAT coverage, were well attended, and had enough local support to be part of the community. I NEVER had that sense from the Thrashers. I can't pinpoint what that difference is; maybe part of it is the history of the franchise. Contrast 40+ years of Blues hockey, with an archrival of Chicago VERSUS maybe 10 years of Thrash history? With whom as an archrival? With what announcers/coverage?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 22nd, 2010, 4:04 pm

Lavabe wrote:Two words:
DON CHERRY
Someday, I'd really like to stage a death match between Don Cherry and Craig Sager:
Tell me you wouldn't pay to see this.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 22nd, 2010, 4:09 pm

The U.S. women's hockey team lead Sweden (who maddeningly knocked them out in Turin) 4-1 about midway through the second period. This game's winner will face the Canada-Finland winner for gold on Thursday.