LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 12th, 2011, 9:57 pm

We got home from NYC around 12:00 today. DukePA dropped Max off on her way home. What a fun trip. It always is. I'm hoping more of our family can come next year. As soon as I get a date for the game, I will be reserving rooms and airline tickets.

:duke:
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » December 13th, 2011, 12:08 am

I went to a memorial service this evening for a 92 year old member of our church. She was an amazing woman - born in Western Australia, received scholarships to get her PhD in London, studied under Anna Freud, worked with children of the Holocaust, came to the States with her Welsh husband. As part of the service, Advance Australia Fair was sung to start her on her journey back to Australia.

After the service, I went out with my sister and brother-in-law for beer and french fries in memory of another church member who lost his battle with pancreatic cancer. This was his favorite lunch while skiing.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a correlation between getting older and losing family, friends, and acquaintances to death. We quit buying wedding gifts and start giving to memorial funds.

To answer DD's question - We all had Samuel Adams Winter Lager and got to keep the commemorative glass. I would have it again.

Bold and rich, with a touch of holiday spice.

The first thing one notices about a Samuel Adams® Winter Lager is the deep ruby color. Then comes the magical aroma which promises something special on the tongue. The cinnamon, ginger, and hint of citrus from the orange peel blend with the roasty sweetness of the malts to deliver a warming, spicy flavor. On the palate Samuel Adams Winter Lager is rich and full bodied, robust and warming, a wonderful way to enjoy the cold evenings that come with the season.
Life is good!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 13th, 2011, 7:40 am

DukieInKansas wrote:I went to a memorial service this evening for a 92 year old member of our church. She was an amazing woman - born in Western Australia, received scholarships to get her PhD in London, studied under Anna Freud, worked with children of the Holocaust, came to the States with her Welsh husband. As part of the service, Advance Australia Fair was sung to start her on her journey back to Australia.

After the service, I went out with my sister and brother-in-law for beer and french fries in memory of another church member who lost his battle with pancreatic cancer. This was his favorite lunch while skiing.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a correlation between getting older and losing family, friends, and acquaintances to death. We quit buying wedding gifts and start giving to memorial funds.

To answer DD's question - We all had Samuel Adams Winter Lager and got to keep the commemorative glass. I would have it again.

The first thing one notices about a Samuel Adams® Winter Lager is the deep ruby color. Then comes the magical aroma which promises something special on the tongue. The cinnamon, ginger, and hint of citrus from the orange peel blend with the roasty sweetness of the malts to deliver a warming, spicy flavor. On the palate Samuel Adams Winter Lager is rich and full bodied, robust and warming, a wonderful way to enjoy the cold evenings that come with the season.
Sounds like a wonderful evening.

Some of this oughta be in the Ymm, Beer thread.

:-w
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 13th, 2011, 10:58 am

DukieInKansas wrote:I went to a memorial service this evening for a 92 year old member of our church. She was an amazing woman - born in Western Australia, received scholarships to get her PhD in London, studied under Anna Freud, worked with children of the Holocaust, came to the States with her Welsh husband. As part of the service, Advance Australia Fair was sung to start her on her journey back to Australia.

DinK, I am sorry to hear about your friends. I love the way your celebrate their memories and send them off in style! They must be very special people, and they are fortunate to have you as their friend.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 13th, 2011, 12:14 pm

DinK, sorry to hear of the loss of your friends, but it sounds like they were both memorialized appropriately. :ymhug:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 13th, 2011, 6:31 pm

CathyCA wrote:

What Cathy said. :ymhug:

DinK, I am sorry to hear about your friends. I love the way your celebrate their memories and send them off in style! They must be very special people, and they are fortunate to have you as their friend.

:9f:
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » December 13th, 2011, 10:20 pm

I think they brew a lot of Sam Adams here locally. I was a bit surprised to learn that when I got here to Cincy.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » December 14th, 2011, 4:17 pm

devildeac wrote:

Sounds like a wonderful evening.

Some of this oughta be in the Ymm, Beer thread.

:-w
Don't worry - I posted it there, also. I have to pad my post count somehow. :D
Life is good!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » December 14th, 2011, 4:18 pm

Thank you all for the thoughts. They were both special people and are worth celebrating.
Life is good!
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » December 14th, 2011, 9:57 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I think they brew a lot of Sam Adams here locally. I was a bit surprised to learn that when I got here to Cincy.
They sub-contract out some production to a few of the large capacity brewers quite frequently. Miller brewing in Eden does a production for them. Boston Brewing is still a small player in the market, yet the demand is more than they can handle alone. (I know some people at Miller)
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » December 15th, 2011, 4:33 am

captmojo wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:I think they brew a lot of Sam Adams here locally. I was a bit surprised to learn that when I got here to Cincy.
They sub-contract out some production to a few of the large capacity brewers quite frequently. Miller brewing in Eden does a production for them. Boston Brewing is still a small player in the market, yet the demand is more than they can handle alone. (I know some people at Miller)
The brewery here is company owned. I think they bought it when a local mid sized brewer went belly up. The big deal around here lately has been that Yuengling is now available but not if you live in Indiana.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 15th, 2011, 9:11 am

YmoBeThere wrote:
captmojo wrote:
The brewery here is company owned. I think they bought it when a local mid sized brewer went belly up. The big deal around here lately has been that Yuengling is now available but not if you live in Indiana.
Might make it worth is to move to Indiana.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » December 15th, 2011, 5:49 pm

Today I have consumed a 6 oz. box of Nerds and a 6 ox. box of Sprees.

That is a lot of sugar.

I was wired.

Not I think I need a pillow.

I feel quite sleepa..; ;;;;;;;lgur'lar'[gdjsvguasdgjvaorivv;jofvja[psdf'bjoasdfnhia'bvop'asvhjiasdfiopvgjasdfpbgioas'dfpnhiodfvgj;sodhigas;dfioash;diogas;ghs;ighasd;oighasdioghsd;ogvsdoivajsdgvlsdh;avna;sdihga;svhZ:Vhz;ivn;sdonbs;an;asdfvgiohosdsh;giosafjo;gh;hhhhhh
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » December 15th, 2011, 6:00 pm

EarlJam wrote:Today I have consumed a 6 oz. box of Nerds and a 6 ox. box of Sprees.

That is a lot of sugar.

I was wired.

Not I think I need a pillow.

I feel quite sleepa..; ;;;;;;;lgur'lar'[gdjsvguasdgjvaorivv;jofvja[psdf'bjoasdfnhia'bvop'asvhjiasdfiopvgjasdfpbgioas'dfpnhiodfvgj;sodhigas;dfioash;diogas;ghs;ighasd;oighasdioghsd;ogvsdoivajsdgvlsdh;avna;sdihga;svhZ:Vhz;ivn;sdonbs;an;asdfvgiohosdsh;giosafjo;gh;hhhhhh
I haven't seen an EarlJam post like this in a while.

Welcome Back, EJ!! :Clap: :ymparty: :)) =))
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 15th, 2011, 6:04 pm

Today's fun with PHB: I was given a couple of small tasks to do, and I finished them both quickly. In fact, one of the tasks was actually due tomorrow. I spent the day perusing the scientific literature, doing some research on things I'm interested in. Not a bad thing.

Out of the blue, at about 3:00, PHB grabbed me and a co-worker to participate in a phone conference with a collaborator. It took a while to figure out which collaborator (a guy at UVA) and what project we were even talking about. I'm still not sure of all the specifics. PHB knew about the phone conference in advance and has been corresponding with our collaborator at UVA. Why the heck didn't he tell me in advance about this call? I was expected to come in blind and know what I was supposed to be doing on this project. Annoying as heck - and hopefully soon to be someone else's problem.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 16th, 2011, 9:42 pm

When I got home from work this evening, the Rev Lawgrad had left the TV on one of the (DirecTV) channels that plays music. It was the elevator music channel.

As I opened the door, I discovered the :O3 :O3 were having to listen to "Do That To Me One More Time."

By the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. :-o

And I wonder why Sasha the mini schnauzer has issues....
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 16th, 2011, 9:43 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:When I got home from work this evening, the Rev Lawgrad had left the TV on one of the (DirecTV) channels that plays music. It was the elevator music channel.

As I opened the door, I discovered the :O3 :O3 were having to listen to "Do That To Me One More Time."

=)) =)) =))

Those poor dogs.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 16th, 2011, 9:53 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:When I got home from work this evening, the Rev Lawgrad had left the TV on one of the (DirecTV) channels that plays music. It was the elevator music channel.

=)) =)) =))

Those poor dogs.
It reminded me of the first episode of "WKRP in Cincinnati," when the soon-to-be Dr. Johnny Fever is playing "You're Having My Baby" by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » December 17th, 2011, 9:12 am

Music hath charms...
So, Willie rests comfortably to the soothing sounds from Dish/SiriusXM's Holiday Pops channel. :whistle:
captmojo

Post by captmojo » December 18th, 2011, 10:10 am

Hot dog!
I sure hope I stepped in it this morning, OY! OOoohhh...I think I did! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))