Post by YmoBeThere » November 16th, 2011, 11:03 pm

Does he have a friend named Billy?
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » November 16th, 2011, 11:32 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: No, that's his name. He posted on Cathy's FB page how nice it was seeing her yesterday in court. ;)

Do lawyers ever say how nice it was suing you in court?
Yes.

I recently wrapped up a long case (which I won), and the attorney on the other side called my senior partner to tell him that I did a good job.

:9f:
Woohoo! Attagirl! :happy-bouncyblue: :ymhug: B-) \:d/ :-BD
Thank you!

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 16th, 2011, 11:33 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: No, that's his name. He posted on Cathy's FB page how nice it was seeing her yesterday in court. ;)

Yes.

I recently wrapped up a long case (which I won), and the attorney on the other side called my senior partner to tell him that I did a good job.

Way to go Cathy!!!! :ymapplause:
Thank you.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 17th, 2011, 9:13 am

CathyCA wrote:

Yes.

Good job! :-BD
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 17th, 2011, 9:29 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Yes.

Good job! :-BD
Thank you!

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 18th, 2011, 6:20 pm

My Twitter account is rolling by very slowly tonight. That's because most of the people I follow are dressed out and playing basketball right now.

:D

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 18th, 2011, 9:30 pm

I had a fun day at work today. I've been working on a project for a pharmaceutical company; our collaborator has become a great friend and is one of my references in my current job search. We've been trying to locate a compound that was bound irreversibly to a particular protein. Well, I found it today. This is especially gratifying for several reasons: first off, my friend has been catching a lot of heat from her boss, so this helps her out. (She was basically told that she would be responsible for my level of success on this job. Her boss makes PHB look like Prince Charming.) Second, given the nature of today's discovery, we'll be able to submit our manuscript to a fairly high profile journal. Third, it supports my somewhat selfish goal of making myself indispensable at work before exiting stage left. It's the ultimate win-win situation: I help a friend, make myself look good in the process, and PHB did absolutely nothing. :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 18th, 2011, 9:36 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I had a fun day at work today. I've been working on a project for a pharmaceutical company; our collaborator has become a great friend and is one of my references in my current job search. We've been trying to locate a compound that was bound irreversibly to a particular protein. Well, I found it today. This is especially gratifying for several reasons: first off, my friend has been catching a lot of heat from her boss, so this helps her out. (She was basically told that she would be responsible for my level of success on this job. Her boss makes PHB look like Prince Charming.) Second, given the nature of today's discovery, we'll be able to submit our manuscript to a fairly high profile journal. Third, it supports my somewhat selfish goal of making myself indispensable at work before exiting stage left. It's the ultimate win-win situation: I help a friend, make myself look good in the process, and PHB did absolutely nothing. :ymdevil:

Congratulations!

Living well is the best revenge.

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 18th, 2011, 9:51 pm

CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I had a fun day at work today. I've been working on a project for a pharmaceutical company; our collaborator has become a great friend and is one of my references in my current job search. We've been trying to locate a compound that was bound irreversibly to a particular protein. Well, I found it today. This is especially gratifying for several reasons: first off, my friend has been catching a lot of heat from her boss, so this helps her out. (She was basically told that she would be responsible for my level of success on this job. Her boss makes PHB look like Prince Charming.) Second, given the nature of today's discovery, we'll be able to submit our manuscript to a fairly high profile journal. Third, it supports my somewhat selfish goal of making myself indispensable at work before exiting stage left. It's the ultimate win-win situation: I help a friend, make myself look good in the process, and PHB did absolutely nothing. :ymdevil:

Congratulations!

Living well is the best revenge.

Thanks! It is so true. I've been channeling my inner windsor a lot lately. PHB wants to leave me out of the loop, fine. I'll just do my absolute best on the tasks I have. So far, so good. Counting this project, I've had 3 big saves within the last 2 weeks - one for PPI and The Minion. :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » November 18th, 2011, 11:49 pm

A fine evening of basketball and ceremony in Cameron tonight. Davidson played a fine first half but think that State sneaked in their dressing rooms just before half and took their unis and their bench and substituted on the floor for them in the second half. All in all, it was a worthy win for the Devils that at times appeared to be in too much anticipation of the love ceremony that was to come honoring Coach K.

Many thanks to Ima for the offer of tickets. They were well used. :ymhug:

It was great to get the First Mate out of the house!
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 19th, 2011, 12:03 am

captmojo wrote:A fine evening of basketball and ceremony in Cameron tonight. Davidson played a fine first half but think that State sneaked in their dressing rooms just before half and took their unis and their bench and substituted on the floor for them in the second half. All in all, it was a worthy win for the Devils that at times appeared to be in too much anticipation of the love ceremony that was to come honoring Coach K.

Woo-hoo! What fun you all had!

~ James Naismith
captmojo

Post by captmojo » November 19th, 2011, 9:39 am

T'would be even, as Dad used to say, "more funner" if we could holdover to be at FB today. :happy-bouncyblue:
Damn leaves!
captmojo

Post by captmojo » November 19th, 2011, 4:46 pm

What? What? WHAT?
I know there are mouths moving out there. I can't hear a damn thing. Lawn tractors, leaf blowers...I haven't been this hard of hearing since I went with my BIL to see Foreigner in Greensboro way back on their Double Vision tour. They had outdoor use audio hardware, giant amps and speaker stacks that must have been close to 20 feet tall, and we were center stage on the second row.

I didn't get finished. :sigh: :twitch:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 19th, 2011, 8:00 pm

captmojo wrote:A fine evening of basketball and ceremony in Cameron tonight. Davidson played a fine first half but think that State sneaked in their dressing rooms just before half and took their unis and their bench and substituted on the floor for them in the second half. All in all, it was a worthy win for the Devils that at times appeared to be in too much anticipation of the love ceremony that was to come honoring Coach K.

Yippee! :happy-bouncyblue: I'm glad you and the First Mate were able to go!!! :duke:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 19th, 2011, 8:03 pm

captmojo wrote:What? What? WHAT?
I know there are mouths moving out there. I can't hear a damn thing. Lawn tractors, leaf blowers...I haven't been this hard of hearing since I went with my BIL to see Foreigner in Greensboro way back on their Double Vision tour. They had outdoor use audio hardware, giant amps and speaker stacks that must have been close to 20 feet tall, and we were center stage on the second row.

I didn't get finished. :sigh: :twitch:
Huh? Did you say something? I can't hear you. 8-}
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 19th, 2011, 8:26 pm

Saw a commercial earlier today for the Nissan Leaf that ticked me off a bit due to its misleading nature. The implication of the commercial was that the Leaf is more environmentally friendly due to its lack of emissions. I call foul. Sorry, but unless you're getting the electricity from hydroelectric, wind, or solar power, you're probably hurting the environment more than you're helping it. When you burn coal or gas to generate electricity, only 20% (or less?) of the energy that is produced by combustion actually makes it to the electrical outlet in your home. Electricity is NOT always the cleaner alternative. Would love to hear from some of the engineers on this. I think I'm right, but I'd love to hear the counter-arguments.
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » November 20th, 2011, 3:24 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Saw a commercial earlier today for the Nissan Leaf that ticked me off a bit due to its misleading nature. The implication of the commercial was that the Leaf is more environmentally friendly due to its lack of emissions. I call foul. Sorry, but unless you're getting the electricity from hydroelectric, wind, or solar power, you're probably hurting the environment more than you're helping it. When you burn coal or gas to generate electricity, only 20% (or less?) of the energy that is produced by combustion actually makes it to the electrical outlet in your home. Electricity is NOT always the cleaner alternative. Would love to hear from some of the engineers on this. I think I'm right, but I'd love to hear the counter-arguments.
Ssssh! I hear the granola babies gathering with their recycled pitchforks and ... well, clean-burning alternative light sources.

@};- @};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 20th, 2011, 8:22 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Saw a commercial earlier today for the Nissan Leaf that ticked me off a bit due to its misleading nature. The implication of the commercial was that the Leaf is more environmentally friendly due to its lack of emissions. I call foul. Sorry, but unless you're getting the electricity from hydroelectric, wind, or solar power, you're probably hurting the environment more than you're helping it. When you burn coal or gas to generate electricity, only 20% (or less?) of the energy that is produced by combustion actually makes it to the electrical outlet in your home. Electricity is NOT always the cleaner alternative. Would love to hear from some of the engineers on this. I think I'm right, but I'd love to hear the counter-arguments.
Found a link to a 2010 European study:
http://www.energytribune.com/articles.cfm?aid=3536
The chart at the end of the link would seem to suggest that on coal, you are somewhat correct. Getting the fuel into the vehicle, electrics stink. :D

When you then add the use of the fuel in the vehicle, the chart would seem to indicate that electrics (especially those powered by natural gas-power plants) overall become better in total emissions (from extraction through use). Then again, how the folks came up with both estimates is probably an issue. :-$ They assume better batteries. And of course, the hydroelectric, wind, solar, etc... would be even better. The electrics would be GREAT in France (nuclear).

Nonetheless, according to the article, Greenpeace is pretty much in agreement with you.

I'm sticking with my hybrid. :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 20th, 2011, 9:32 am

Lavabe wrote:
Found a link to a 2010 European study:
http://www.energytribune.com/articles.cfm?aid=3536
The chart at the end of the link would seem to suggest that on coal, you are somewhat correct. Getting the fuel into the vehicle, electrics stink. :D

When you then add the use of the fuel in the vehicle, the chart would seem to indicate that electrics (especially those powered by natural gas-power plants) overall become better in total emissions (from extraction through use). Then again, how the folks came up with both estimates is probably an issue. :-$ They assume better batteries. And of course, the hydroelectric, wind, solar, etc... would be even better. The electrics would be GREAT in France (nuclear).

Nonetheless, according to the article, Greenpeace is pretty much in agreement with you.

I'm sticking with my hybrid. :D
Thanks for the link, Lavabe. Very interesting. I'm surprised to see the electrics and fuel-They also didn't say anything about mpg assumptions on the car.
powered cars rank as closely as they do - but then I didn't take the whole mining/drilling/refining process into account. I also failed to factor in the efficiency of the vehicle; I didn't realize that the energy production process in the car was so inefficient. It makes sense, though. That's improving all the time - but then, so is the process of generating electricity.

Ultimately I guess the net sum is dependent on the car you drive and the source of your fuel/electricity.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 20th, 2011, 5:36 pm

Our church (well, one of them) had up a Christmas tree poster this morning with "ornaments" listing items requested by clients of Social Services as Christmas presents.

One person's ornament read: "Duke shirt (Medium) or hat."

I think somebody's gonna find a few extra things in his/her stocking. :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.