LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 5th, 2011, 11:40 am

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:Just be nice in your response! Not everyone knows how to spell every word correctly! And why use spell check, anyway. I am sure the MOTHER of the child, would be highly upset knowing someone they liked and trusted, was mocking them and being snarky. May even bring her to tears.

Be NICE! Take the high road. Be a kind and loving friend.
Love,
DWP
Cathy is always nice. Enough said.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 5th, 2011, 11:45 am

DukieInKansas wrote:Proud Aunt, Part Deux:

Nephew Alex will be at MIT this weekend participating in the iGem World Jamboree. He is a member of the iGem team from Penn State. Here is a link to what they did this summer: http://2011.igem.org/Team:Penn_State
Congrats to both your niece and nephew!! :happy-bouncyblue: They sound like really great kids.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 5th, 2011, 5:14 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Fun Friday Story, Part Deux

Around 1:30, PPI and Minion showed up for their regular meeting with PHB. (He was out of town and failed to mention it to them.) PPI started chatting with my French colleague, asking what she was working on. She then told him all that we had accomplished in the last couple of years and what we had done this past week. He asked if she did any of her mass spec work in France; her response was, "No; I only work with the best." You should've seen the looks on PPI and Minion's faces! :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :9f: (No, my French colleague was not aware of the manuscript drama; that's what made it classic.)
Your French colleague is obviously very smart!
Life is good!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » November 6th, 2011, 11:44 am

The weekly Coach Cutcliff show will air at Noon on ABC WTVD.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 6th, 2011, 2:47 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:Just be nice in your response! Not everyone knows how to spell every word correctly! And why use spell check, anyway. I am sure the MOTHER of the child, would be highly upset knowing someone they liked and trusted, was mocking them and being snarky. May even bring her to tears.

Love,
DWP
Thank you, VDB! :-* :-* :-*

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 6th, 2011, 5:30 pm

I bought Bud a new PC today. He's using it now and so far, likes it. :happy-bouncyblue: We're both hooked up with our Droid 3 and our PC's with PDS.net so we can tether with our cell phones for the internet. I'm happy.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 6th, 2011, 5:56 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:I bought Bud a new PC today. He's using it now and so far, likes it. :happy-bouncyblue: We're both hooked up with our Droid 3 and our PC's with PDS.net so we can tether with our cell phones for the internet. I'm happy.
That's so cool! You and Bud are far more technologically advanced than I am. :-BD
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 6th, 2011, 5:58 pm

CathyCA, I thought about you today. I'm in the midst of a campaign to upgrade my work wardrobe and could've used a personal shopper today. Your fashion sense is better than mine. Finding the right blouses is always a problem for me.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 6th, 2011, 10:20 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:I bought Bud a new PC today. He's using it now and so far, likes it. :happy-bouncyblue: We're both hooked up with our Droid 3 and our PC's with PDS.net so we can tether with our cell phones for the internet. I'm happy.
That's so cool! You and Bud are far more technologically advanced than I am. :-BD
Well, that's very debatable. I got Bud's phone voice mail done. The PC is up and running. Bud has not even tried to use the phone. He will be working in Rocky Mt., beginning Tuesday. I have to make him sit down tomorrow and teach him how to answer and get his voice mail before he leaves. Never mind the internet or email. Gads, you can not imagine. I think he needs a double dose of meds for his hdad. I need vibes. :D :))

By the way, pda.net is free. This sure beats paying Verizon to tether.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 6th, 2011, 10:27 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:CathyCA, I thought about you today. I'm in the midst of a campaign to upgrade my work wardrobe and could've used a personal shopper today. Your fashion sense is better than mine. Finding the right blouses is always a problem for me.
I love to shop! Call me next time. Better yet, send me pictures of stuff you're considering. I love to shop online! I would love to help!

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 7th, 2011, 12:04 am

Niece Amy completed the NYC Marathon today and raised over $7,500 while she was at it. Her time was 4:51:09. I'm a very proud aunt.
Life is good!
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » November 7th, 2011, 12:19 am

bluebutton wrote:Although I would love to hear more seasons parents give pointers on this, how does one tactfully discuss how one's child is doing? My husband and I are 1%-ers when it comes to test scores and I'm sensitive about this stuff. Although, currently it's not a big deal because my oldest is 2.5 and I have deliberately not read about what constitutes normal development. As long as her pediatrician says she's fine, I don't worry about her. But between nature and nurture there's a good chance our kids will be outliers in some regard, if only in exposure to very nerdy things. So clearly, it's deplorable to tell people "my kid is the awesomest and your's doesn't deserve to hold his/her toilet paper", but then what do you say? My impression is that my mom just spent a lot of time smiling and nodding when she was with other moms.
I think this stuff sorts itself out. I have a young Turk (well, not so young - senior year of HS) who qualifies as an "outlier". The kids and the teachers know who the aces are soon enough. Smiling and nodding is a very good strategy. It's also good to mention the idiosyncracies along with the skills, e.g. "he really likes the Percy Jackson books, and also likes making armpit farts for fun..." No need to quote numbers...
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » November 7th, 2011, 6:26 am

CathyCA wrote:
bluebutton wrote:

Love,
DWP
Don't you think the content of the note is why people are picking on the form (spelling errors, etc.)?

Although I would love to hear more seasons parents give pointers on this, how does one tactfully discuss how one's child is doing? My husband and I are 1%-ers when it comes to test scores and I'm sensitive about this stuff. Although, currently it's not a big deal because my oldest is 2.5 and I have deliberately not read about what constitutes normal development. As long as her pediatrician says she's fine, I don't worry about her. But between nature and nurture there's a good chance our kids will be outliers in some regard, if only in exposure to very nerdy things. So clearly, it's deplorable to tell people "my kid is the awesomest and your's doesn't deserve to hold his/her toilet paper", but then what do you say? My impression is that my mom just spent a lot of time smiling and nodding when she was with other moms.
One other factoid that I left out: the mother who wrote this note is a high school English teacher.

As I wrote in my first post, my response will be "That is so nice."

You could always go the Steel Magnolias route. "What a lovely story, and you tell it so well!" :D

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 7th, 2011, 8:13 am

Server/loading issues this AM for anyone else?
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 7th, 2011, 9:09 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Fun Friday Story, Part Deux

Around 1:30, PPI and Minion showed up for their regular meeting with PHB. (He was out of town and failed to mention it to them.) PPI started chatting with my French colleague, asking what she was working on. She then told him all that we had accomplished in the last couple of years and what we had done this past week. He asked if she did any of her mass spec work in France; her response was, "No; I only work with the best." You should've seen the looks on PPI and Minion's faces! :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :9f: (No, my French colleague was not aware of the manuscript drama; that's what made it classic.)
Oh! Arkie! How EVER did you keep a straight face,yourSELF!? I'd surely have snorted my Diet Coke through my nose!!!!!! :Clap:
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » November 7th, 2011, 9:12 am

devildeac wrote:Server/loading issues this AM for anyone else?
None for me.
sMiles
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 7th, 2011, 9:14 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:

Love,
DWP
You got that right, VDB. Took the words right out of my mouth!
Love, Ima
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 7th, 2011, 9:15 am

Frequently. Not always.
Love, Ima
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 7th, 2011, 10:11 am

Yes. Big time. Got an error message; the page wouldn't load at all.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 7th, 2011, 10:24 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
Yes. Big time. Got an error message; the page wouldn't load at all.
You must have borrowed my slow, old tablet from my office.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.