LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » October 4th, 2011, 12:14 am

bluebutton wrote:Out of the blue, I just got an itinerary my mom forwarded on--she's meeting us in CA for my cousin's wedding in Nov. My parents live in Asia, so all this time, I thought she wasn't going to make a special trip for the wedding. Great surprise. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

Have to say, I'm pretty sure 2 cute grandkids were part of her travel calculus--not that she doesn't love my cousin and isn't great friends with my aunt.

BTW, I'll take any tips, tricks, and horror stories regarding flying with a toddler and infant. Fortunately, Austin to San Jose has a direct flight called the 'Nerd Bird' :-B :angelic-whiteflying:. I'm most apprehensive about wrestling 2 car seats through the airport.
Ah, yes, the Nerd Bird!

Bring lots of bottles and toddler food (Cheerios, candy, suckers--fun stuff, nothing too nutritious) to occupy the kids on takeoff and landing. As long as they are chewing or sucking/swallowing, their ears will pop. If they aren't chewing, swallowing and sucking, the pressure will build up and the screams/pain will be intolerable.

SJC's terminals have been recently remodeled and expanded. They are state of the art, and no longer disgusting. You won't have any trouble taking those 2 car seats through the airport. Get Mr. Bluebutton to help you lug them around.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 4th, 2011, 3:14 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
bjornolf wrote:We just bought a 3D TV today. Any advice on good 3D movies on blu-ray?

@};- @};-
I'll second that - I, too, recently purchased a Samsung 3D TV and Blu-Ray player. What brand did you purchase?
I got a Pioneer.

@};- @};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 4th, 2011, 10:53 am

We finally have internet at home. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: The phone co. person just installed ours. It is so much faster than tethering from my cell phone. The router and modem are together. My cost to hook up was -0-.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 4th, 2011, 12:19 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:We finally have internet at home. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: The phone co. person just installed ours. It is so much faster than tethering from my cell phone. The router and modem are together. My cost to hook up was -0-.
:ymparty: :ymparty: :ymapplause: :-BD
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » October 4th, 2011, 12:30 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:... My cost to hook up was -0-.
All the better. :Clap:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 4th, 2011, 1:07 pm

captmojo wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:... My cost to hook up was -0-.
All the better. :Clap:
The monthly cost is only 7.00 a month with a special promotion and bundling with Direct TV. :happy-bouncyblue: :)
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 4th, 2011, 10:03 pm

bluebutton wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote: Yeah - visits from Moms are the best. Out of curiosity, what part of Asia? I had the privilege of spending 7 childhood/teen years in Japan & Korea. I want a return visit.
Oh wow--that sounds really interesting. Why did you spend that much time in the region? My husband's family is from Seattle but he spend 9 of his childhood/teen years in Islamabad. So I'm always interested in what gets ppl so far from "home".

My parents live in Taiwan, but my dad is an oceanographer and frequently travels around the area visiting other research institutions. But for all that travel, mom said he would also come to CA in Nov. (Dad got the job in Taiwan after he retired from 30 years at Old Dominion in VA.)
My father's job took us to Tokyo when I was in elementary school and then to Seoul for middle school and half of high school. He went to Taipei frequently. I only got there twice. Once was for a wedding of a business associate of my dad's. That was very fascinating - a tour of the house and gardens, the wedding presents, and their in home shrine that was supposed to contain one of Buddha's teeth. I would love to be able to take a trip back to see how much everything has changed since then. Although it seems like it was just a few years ago, it was really much more than that in real time.
Life is good!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 5th, 2011, 1:52 pm

Waa-haa!

PHB just called secretary and said he was taking the rest of the day off (since he had put in so much time this week) to work in his yard. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 5th, 2011, 9:00 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Waa-haa!

PHB just called secretary and said he was taking the rest of the day off (since he had put in so much time this week) to work in his yard. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
My PHB has been very nice to me since I returned from my vacation. Wonder if someone came to a few realizations while I was out of town. :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 5th, 2011, 11:53 pm

I don't remember where I asked for prayers and vibes for Sara, my former co-worker, as she was job hunting but I want to thank you. CTN vibes and prayers come through again and she starts next Monday. She was only off work for 1 week. Thank you all. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Life is good!
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » October 6th, 2011, 12:20 am

So how has your week gone, Dink? If you've given an account on here someplace I've missed it.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 6th, 2011, 10:05 pm

Taking tomorrow off...
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » October 6th, 2011, 11:10 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:So how has your week gone, Dink? If you've given an account on here someplace I've missed it.
Love, Ima
Thanks for asking. I'm not sure. Some has been fine - co-workers seem nice & some work is still the same. Some not so fine - sometimes I feel totally incompetent - I'm probably not but it took too long to install software on a network I really don't know much about. I'll figure it all out but sometimes I feel like I'm ready to fall of the edge.

I just read on FB that the Admin Asst quit this am - that explains the closed door meeting with the boss. This could get very interesting.
Life is good!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 7th, 2011, 5:41 am

Would someone please inform me when baseball season is over? (-|

Would someone please inform me when football season is over? (-|

Would someone please inform me when college basketball season begins? :ymdevil:

MANY THANKS!!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » October 7th, 2011, 5:49 am

In the Doors' classic "Touch Me," the song has a saxophone-led musical ending. My question is related to the last four notes, in which Jim Morrison says "STRONGER THAN DIRT." ~X( ~X( :-o :-\ Is that some sort of reference to an old ad slogan for Mr. Clean? :-? What's up with that? :-\ :-\ I'd appreciate clarification on this one. It's bugged me forever. ~X( ~X(
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 7th, 2011, 6:13 am

That's just crazie!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 7th, 2011, 6:15 am

Lavabe wrote:Would someone please inform me when baseball season is over? (-|

Would someone please inform me when football season is over? (-|

Would someone please inform me when college basketball season begins? :ymdevil:

MANY THANKS!!
baseball season = in a few weeks

football season = in a few months

college basketball = not soon enough
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » October 7th, 2011, 8:43 am

Lavabe wrote:In the Doors' classic "Touch Me," the song has a saxophone-led musical ending. My question is related to the last four notes, in which Jim Morrison says "STRONGER THAN DIRT." ~X( ~X( :-o :-\ Is that some sort of reference to an old ad slogan for Mr. Clean? :-? What's up with that? :-\ :-\ I'd appreciate clarification on this one. It's bugged me forever. ~X( ~X(
I believe this answer will require a trip to Paris for a graveside seance, in hopes to channel Jim Morrison's spirit to explain.

I'd vote for the Mr.Clean slogan...if you want it, but in reality, the words should be credited to Ajax and the White Knight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFZK5VkQes4

Does this mean I watched too much TV as a kid?
Yes.
Does this make me an asshole for knowing, and revealing this?
Probably. :D
:twitch:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » October 7th, 2011, 10:04 am

captmojo wrote:
Lavabe wrote:In the Doors' classic "Touch Me," the song has a saxophone-led musical ending. My question is related to the last four notes, in which Jim Morrison says "STRONGER THAN DIRT." ~X( ~X( :-o :-\ Is that some sort of reference to an old ad slogan for Mr. Clean? :-? What's up with that? :-\ :-\ I'd appreciate clarification on this one. It's bugged me forever. ~X( ~X(
I believe this answer will require a trip to Paris for a graveside seance, in hopes to channel Jim Morrison's spirit to explain.

I'd vote for the Mr.Clean slogan...if you want it, but in reality, the words should be credited to Ajax and the White Knight.

Yes.
OOOOOOOOOHHHHH! THANK YOU for reminding me that it was AJAX and the White Knight!! Wow... those synapses have now been corrected. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ :-BD

So let me re-phrase:
In the Doors' classic "Touch Me," the song has a saxophone-led musical ending. My question is related to the last four notes, in which Jim Morrison says "STRONGER THAN DIRT." ~X( ~X( :-o :-\ Is that some sort of reference to an old ad slogan for AJAX cleanser? :-? What's up with that? :-\ :-\ I'd appreciate clarification on this one. It's bugged me forever. ~X(
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 7th, 2011, 11:09 am

Lavabe wrote:
captmojo wrote:

Yes.
OOOOOOOOOHHHHH! THANK YOU for reminding me that it was AJAX and the White Knight!! Wow... those synapses have now been corrected. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ :-BD

So let me re-phrase:
In the Doors' classic "Touch Me," the song has a saxophone-led musical ending. My question is related to the last four notes, in which Jim Morrison says "STRONGER THAN DIRT." ~X( ~X( :-o :-\ Is that some sort of reference to an old ad slogan for AJAX cleanser? :-? What's up with that? :-\ :-\ I'd appreciate clarification on this one. It's bugged me forever. ~X(
Nice post-padding.

:)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.