Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2011, 3:35 pm

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Think the Wheach that Arkie/Throaty have been saving for me for a year+ is still any good? :YMPRAY:
I wouldn't count on that being the case. A more likely scenario is that they consumed it and processed it for you already.
As Arkie is my witness, the waitress at Blueberry Hill asked if I'd like anything to drink. I asked what was on draught. The first item she mentioned was...
WHEACH!!
The waitress never got to beer #2 on her list. :D
Review?

:whistle: :-w
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 14th, 2011, 3:47 pm

devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:I wouldn't count on that being the case. A more likely scenario is that they consumed it and processed it for you already.
As Arkie is my witness, the waitress at Blueberry Hill asked if I'd like anything to drink. I asked what was on draught. The first item she mentioned was...
WHEACH!!
Review?

I back Lavabe on this one; the scenario went exactly as described. I think he may have stopped her as she was getting ready to say the second one, in fact.

DD, I actually DID save the beer. I'm sad for Lavabe that it was so old and is likely not good. Also gave him some "well-aged" Pumpkin Ales and instructions for him to dump them if they're not good.

Should I scout around and see if there are any sixers left of this year's batch of Wheach or any other offerings? Chances are, they wouldn't sit around for a few years. Lavabe indicated that he'd be coming back to StL sometime this fall.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2011, 4:03 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote: As Arkie is my witness, the waitress at Blueberry Hill asked if I'd like anything to drink. I asked what was on draught. The first item she mentioned was...
WHEACH!!
Review?

I back Lavabe on this one; the scenario went exactly as described. I think he may have stopped her as she was getting ready to say the second one, in fact.

DD, I actually DID save the beer. I'm sad for Lavabe that it was so old and is likely not good. Also gave him some "well-aged" Pumpkin Ales and instructions for him to dump them if they're not good.

Should I scout around and see if there are any sixers left of this year's batch of Wheach or any other offerings? Chances are, they wouldn't sit around for a few years. Lavabe indicated that he'd be coming back to StL sometime this fall.
Don't bother looking for any old "session" beers. By that I mean any standard ABV (Alcohol By Volume. I know you are a PhD chemist but not sure you'd be familiar with brew lingo so no insult intended.) brews as their shelf life is typically no longer than 90 days. IPAs may be longer. Beers that will "cellar," or age, are the higher ABV and/or bottle conditioned brews in which the brewer leaves a small amount of yeast so they will continue to ferment in the bottle and may be good for years.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 16th, 2011, 2:33 pm

devildeac wrote:Tripel-Great Divide

Could not even find this one on the beer list on their web site. This represents the style nicely with a slightly cloudy yellow-orange pour with a generous amount of Belgian lace which lingers. Notes of black pepper from the Belgian yeast are mild and the other tastes of orange peel and coriander are present, too, and pretty typical for the style. Bitterness is quite mild, guessing about 30 for the IBU and the ABV is wicked at 9.3% so I split this $8 bomber over a couple nights. This would make a nice beverage with a fruit plate pre or post dinner or with a mild, fruity salsa and some grouper or chicken. I'm still celebrating :D .
Tripel (2010 edition)-Great Divide

This is the bomber I mentioned a few posts back that I found at 30% off at Total Wine last week. Well, it was because it was brewed in 8/10 and TW had the courtesy to store/cellar/age it for me at no cost or inconvenience AND sell it to me for $5.59 instead of $7.99. Quite the deal! The brew is not much different from the above review except perhaps a bit more cloudy and a hint of sourness to it after a year. Highly drinkable and potent. It was the last one on the shelf so I'll look for another Great Divide gem next time I visit TW.

Oooh, I just noticed bluebeer is here. Wonder what he has been sipping this summer?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 16th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Fourteen-Weyerbacher Brewing

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Total Wine for procuring this anniversary ale 2 years after its release date and making it available to purchase this week. After all, these folks have been brewing since 1995 8-| . Not only that, they had to store it for a couple years after it was released, saving me from the recurring wrath of Mrs. DD and saving space in my garage, too.

Now, here is the review. This is a barleywine made with 50% wheat malt, so technically, it's a wheat wine. Settle down, Lavabe, I typed wheat wine, not Wheach :tease: . It pours a cloudy golden-orange with a pungent nose of orange juice and orange zest. I actually think this tastes a bit like Cointreau with notes of honey, too. The IBU appear to be a bit lower than your typical barleywine and I'd guess 50-60 and the ABV is a numbing 11.8% so this was an hour long sipper. Serve lightly chilled in a goblet as your after dinner drink. This was about $15 for a 4 pack so I guess I am ultimately paying "storage fees" on this 8-| . I'll be saving a bottle or two in my garage, err, cellar, and reporting back next summer, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2011, 7:32 pm

Rustic Saison-Sam Adams

I received this as a trader this week and sipped it last PM and found it to be a refreshing addition to the SA army. Not spectacular but yet another brew they have produced to stay innovative in their brewing approach. Clean, crisp and clear, this nice effort representing the traditional saison style has a twist with a bit of honey added. It is light golden in color and floral and biscuity in the nose from its blend of hops and malts. The Belgian yeast adds the tiniest bit of funk and pepper and makes a pleasant brew for a hot summer day. I'd expect the IBU to be low in the 20-30 range and the ABV to be modest, guessing 5%. It is part of a sampler pack that I have not seen but definitely worth a tasting.

From the brewer/bottle:

Samuel Adams Rustic Saison is an incredibly complex yet refreshing beer in the classic style of Belgian farmhouse ales. These blonde ales were traditionally brewed to quench the thirst of farmers throughout the summer months. The unique character of our brew comes from its Belgian yeast that imparts floral, fruity, and spicy flavors. These are layered with a slight earthiness and a citrusy, herbal hop character for a bright and satisfying summer brew.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 17th, 2011, 7:36 pm

devildeac wrote:Fourteen-Weyerbacher Brewing

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Total Wine for procuring this anniversary ale 2 years after its release date and making it available to purchase this week. After all, these folks have been brewing since 1995 8-| . Not only that, they had to store it for a couple years after it was released, saving me from the recurring wrath of Mrs. DD and saving space in my garage, too.

Now, here is the review. This is a barleywine made with 50% wheat malt, so technically, it's a wheat wine. Settle down, Lavabe, I typed wheat wine, not Wheach :tease: . It pours a cloudy golden-orange with a pungent nose of orange juice and orange zest. I actually think this tastes a bit like Cointreau with notes of honey, too. The IBU appear to be a bit lower than your typical barleywine and I'd guess 50-60 and the ABV is a numbing 11.8% so this was an hour long sipper. Serve lightly chilled in a goblet as your after dinner drink. This was about $15 for a 4 pack so I guess I am ultimately paying "storage fees" on this 8-| . I'll be saving a bottle or two in my garage, err, cellar, and reporting back next summer, too.
If you play your cards right, Lavabe could probably provide you with a bottle or two of 2+ year old Wheach. :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 17th, 2011, 8:51 pm

The 2009 bottles of Wheach are fine in terms of being traditional wheat ales. The main difference between the 2009 and the draught version is that the draught had just a hint more of peach during the aftertaste. The bottles have less of the peach aftertaste... but frankly, it's not a problem, as it's still a fantastic wheat ale. I like the fact that it's not dripping in peach flavor.

Will try to bring a few to Raleigh in September.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 17th, 2011, 8:55 pm

Lavabe wrote:The 2009 bottles of Wheach are fine in terms of being traditional wheat ales. The main difference between the 2009 and the draught version is that the draught had just a hint more of peach during the aftertaste. The bottles have less of the peach aftertaste... but frankly, it's not a problem, as it's still a fantastic wheat ale. I like the fact that it's not dripping in peach flavor.

Glad to hear that it's okay, Lavabe! I was worried about quality due to the age. Have you tried the Pumpkin Ale yet?

Are there any O'Fallon brews that I need to be scoping out for your return trip this fall? Should I see if any of this year's Wheach is still available?
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 17th, 2011, 9:04 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote:The 2009 bottles of Wheach are fine in terms of being traditional wheat ales. The main difference between the 2009 and the draught version is that the draught had just a hint more of peach during the aftertaste. The bottles have less of the peach aftertaste... but frankly, it's not a problem, as it's still a fantastic wheat ale. I like the fact that it's not dripping in peach flavor.

Glad to hear that it's okay, Lavabe! I was worried about quality due to the age. Have you tried the Pumpkin Ale yet?

Are there any O'Fallon brews that I need to be scoping out for your return trip this fall? Should I see if any of this year's Wheach is still available?
Thanks for holding onto them, AD!
A sixer of this year's Wheach would be great. Have yet to try the Pumpkin Ale. Will do so in a few nights.
I wonder what seasonal specials the Schlafly boys have in the works this year. =p~
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2011, 9:15 pm

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

Thanks for holding onto them, AD!
A sixer of this year's Wheach would be great. Have yet to try the Pumpkin Ale. Will do so in a few nights.
I wonder what seasonal specials the Schlafly boys have in the works this year. =p~
Try looking here:

http://www.schlafly.com/beers/#/seasonal-releases

Next question: What 750 ml bottles might they have, too? Gee, I'm glad you asked. Check here:

http://www.schlafly.com/beers/#/750-ml-bottles

Your BSA of the day :D .
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 17th, 2011, 9:23 pm

Can get the seasonals and everydays in KY. The one link dd didn't post, however, is this:
http://www.schlafly.com/beers/#/at-the-breweries
THIS is where I need to visit the next time. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2011, 9:35 pm

Lavabe wrote:Can get the seasonals and everydays in KY. The one link dd didn't post, however, is this:
That's all good and well-intentioned but the key phrase is :

"Currently on Draft"

Some of those never see the inside of a 12 ounce or 750 ml bottle. :(
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 17th, 2011, 9:54 pm

Lavabe wrote:Can get the seasonals and everydays in KY. The one link dd didn't post, however, is this:
I've been to the tap room once. Need to go back sometime.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2011, 10:04 pm

Loose Cannon-Clipper City Brewing

I know I have tasted this before and I searched for a review but none to be found here but there will be one real soon :D .

In fact, here's the review now. This is their version of an American IPA and it is highly drinkable despite its mildly elevated ABV of 7.25%, though it appears to be closer to 7.3% on the palate 8-| . The color is golden-yellow, the head is 1-2 fingers and the aromas are those of herbs and pine and the tastes match. I'd guess the IBU to be 60-70 so it would be fine with ribs, burgers or chicken off the grill or even mildly spicy Mexican or Indian dishes. This was a trader earlier in the week and worth a single or if you can find it in a 12 pack sampler. Good brewery.

From the brewer:

Burnished gold with a rich citrus hop aroma, it is wonderfully drinkable with a big hop flavor. We’ve knicknamed it Hop3 (hop cubed) ale to reflect the enormous amount of hops in this beer: over 3 pounds per barrel! It is hopped 3 ways: in the kettle, in the hop back, and dry hopped. Pairs well with strong cheeses and steak. 2nd Place CAMRA award winner at the 2010 Great British Beer Festival

(As you can see, we differ a bit about citrusy vs piney/herbal :ymblushing: )
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 17th, 2011, 10:30 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
I've been to the tap room once. Need to go back sometime.
I've been to the tap room eighteen times.
I've been to Blueberry Hill 23 times.
I've been to Ted Drewe's 18 bazillion times.
:D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2011, 10:31 pm

East West Kolsch-Sam Adams

This was quite the surprising and refreshing brew. I found this in my 6er trader this week and found it to be a delightful summer ale. Quite typical for the style which is light, floral and fruity with hints of crisp apples and pears. It is even lighter than a typical pilsner and SA does something unique with it as they age it ( :-o ) on jasmine flowers. IBU are way low, guessing 10 or so and I'd bet the ABV is 5% max. I like this even better than the Goose Island and Schlafly kolsch brews that Lavabe brought in June. This is also part of their summer sampler. Well worth a taste, especially if you get to try several different brews in the 12 pack.

And some brewer's notes, too:

Light and fragrant, Samuel Adams® East West Kölsch has a floral and herbal character that balances the refreshing German Kölsch style. A classic Kölsch is less bitter than a pilsner with a slightly fruity and sweet biscuit note. For our version we wanted to create a bright fresh flavor by using Alsatian Strisselspalt hops for a subtle lemon and grassy hop note. We added another layer of flavor by aging the beer on a bed of Jasmine Sambac, a fragrant night blooming flower from Southeast Asia. The jasmine creates a delicate floral aroma and flavor for a wonderfully complex and refreshing brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2011, 10:44 pm

Next up:

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 19th, 2011, 4:53 pm

IPA-Caldera Brewing

Hop bomb warning! Another treat from my trader 6er and this one is pungent. Think freshly squeezed Tropicana orange grapefruit juice from the Simcoe, Centennial and Amarillo hops and just 2 different malts. This pours a foamy, slightly cloudy orange-yellow with a burst of citrus aroma and huge citrus tastes. The malts don't balance that well as the ABV is 6.1% and the IBU a HUGE 94. One of these hop monsters is fine for tasting/trading but not a whole 6er for me. It is NOT your summer lawnmower brew but would match nicely with hot and/or spicy fare. Love the can:

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 23rd, 2011, 9:51 pm

Maibock-Smuttynose Brewing

Make Mine a Smutty! (from their bottle caps)

The April 2011 release in the Smuttynose Big Beer series is Maibock, which is a twist on the typical bock beer recipe. This is lighter and a bit more fruity than the traditional style with hints of crisp, fresh apples and pears but with some classic notes of medium toasted croissants. Hops are very mild and flora and the malts are slightly buttery. I'll guess the IBU to be 20-30 and the ABV 8-8.5% as their prior 3 releases were in the strangely varied 6.2-8.7% range. Pair this with light appetizers, even fruits or with lighter grilled items. I liked this enough to buy a 6er of their Summer Weizen at 30% off from Total Wine this week during their moving sale so that will be a review this weekend most likely. Any of their Big Beers would be worth a sample/trade too as they have been very good to excellent and reasonably priced, usually from $6-8 for a bomber.