Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 19th, 2011, 8:39 pm

Sweetwater IPA (an Atlanta brewery, according to the bartender) on tap at Aunt Chilada's on Hilton Head Island. A very citrusy beer - it tasted like a tart morning grapefruit. Mrs Ozzie said she could smell the grapefruit in it. It was the perfect accompaniment to the grilled wings I had for dinner there tonight - it cut through the peppery spices quite nicely!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 19th, 2011, 8:49 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Sweetwater IPA (an Atlanta brewery, according to the bartender) on tap at Aunt Chilada's on Hilton Head Island. A very citrusy beer - it tasted like a tart morning grapefruit. Mrs Ozzie said she could smell the grapefruit in it. It was the perfect accompaniment to the grilled wings I had for dinner there tonight - it cut through the peppery spices quite nicely!
Grapefruity? HUH???

Sweetwater is the best Atlanta brew. It's best known for its suggestive brew names, including Hummer, Happy Ending, and Donkey Punch. Of course, at least one of us got reprimanded for mentioning these names OY. 8-|
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 19th, 2011, 10:24 pm

Jai Alai IPA-Cigar City Brewing

Guess where we were this weekend. This was the specialty brew served at the wedding reception we attended and appeared to be a pretty popular selection. Poured a slightly cloudy golden yellow with a generous head and mostly piney, resinous hop presence with more than a hint of grapefruitiness. The generous amount of caramel and other malts balanced the bitterness nicely with my guess at about 70 for the IBU to go along with the 7.5% ABV on the label. I sipped a couple of these during cocktail hour and settled on iced tea and water with the buffet dinner. Too potent for more than a couple. So, if you are in Florida, seek out one of these and find a second one they brew, too.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » June 20th, 2011, 9:51 am

devildeac wrote:Jai Alai IPA-Cigar City Brewing

Guess where we were this weekend. This was the specialty brew served at the wedding reception we attended and appeared to be a pretty popular selection. Poured a slightly cloudy golden yellow with a generous head and mostly piney, resinous hop presence with more than a hint of grapefruitiness. The generous amount of caramel and other malts balanced the bitterness nicely with my guess at about 70 for the IBU to go along with the 7.5% ABV on the label. I sipped a couple of these during cocktail hour and settled on iced tea and water with the buffet dinner. Too potent for more than a couple. So, if you are in Florida, seek out one of these and find a second one they brew, too.
I have only tried a collaboration by them, but Cigar City is supposed to be a fantastic brewer. My sister is heading to florida next week and I'm going to have her track some down for me..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 21st, 2011, 8:42 am

Wooden Shoe Lager-Elevator Brewing Company

This is a strange one in several ways. First, the web site is the Wooden Shoe Brewing Company in Minter, Ohio, but the label on the bottle I drank was the Elevator Brewing Company in Columbus, Ohio. It is apparently an "old world" recipe from a company that claims they survived the Prohibition days and are now re-brewing their beers. Second, a patient gave me four of these in a Trader Joe's bag, so I will assume that this is one of their "house beers." By that I mean that I believe TJ's has a number a brews they sell at about $6 for the 6ers they carry and "feature" very small breweries from across the country who have some marketing agreement with TJ's. At least that is my perception from looking over their selections 6-9 months ago when they opened their 1st store in Raleigh.

Now, back to the beer. Pretty pedestrian stuff here with a clear, light amber pour and modest head with bready and slight floral notes. A bit of light caramel sweetness with minimal bitterness. I'd guess the IBU to be 20 and the ABV is on the label at 4.6% so a nice starter brew or one you could have a couple of at a cook out. They list a bock and a Belgian on their web site and I'd certainly try one of their specialty ales, too. I think CB&B and my son will get 1 each in our next trading session, leaving me with the 4th one of my "gift pack."
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 22nd, 2011, 10:07 pm

Industrial IPA-Diamond Knot Brewing

A new find from CB&B acquired during our recent trading session. Clever way to name another IIPA :D . This is a fine piney/resinous representative of the double IPA category. Golden-amber in color and sipped over a couple nights as these bombers of high gravity brews are tough to polish off in a single sitting, especially at 7.9% ABV (on the bottle; their web site says 8.2%) and 80 IBU. The alcohol and hops are nicely balanced and this would be an excellent beverage with BBQ fare or spicy dishes. If Bob Green is reading this, I wonder if he has tasted anything else from this brewery as it is from Washington state. CB&C and I have been ardently searching for less expensive bombers recently and I think we have done a highly respectable job. :clap: ^:)^

For anyone interested in reading a bit more:

http://www.diamondknot.com/pdfs/The%20Beers.pdf
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 24th, 2011, 6:27 pm

:text-bump:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 27th, 2011, 9:35 am

Fun article on how the West is the best in brewing.

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/06/27/ber ... ?hpt=hp_c2
I recently took a trip out West with my wife, Pooja, and our good friends, Jarrod and Lauren Cone. We headed to the Pacific Northwest for a beer and food-themed trip, visiting places that are known for excelling in both. We started the trip in Seattle, rented a car, and made our way down the coast to San Francisco, making stops in Portland and Santa Rosa along the way. This is a trip I have been looking forward to for years, as some of my favorite beers in the world originate from the beer Mecca of the United States, the West Coast.

Here is a list of my favorite places we visited in each city, along with some notes about each and any special beers or food that were had.
Lucky bastage!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 28th, 2011, 10:02 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Fun article on how the West is the best in brewing.

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/06/27/ber ... ?hpt=hp_c2
I recently took a trip out West with my wife, Pooja, and our good friends, Jarrod and Lauren Cone. We headed to the Pacific Northwest for a beer and food-themed trip, visiting places that are known for excelling in both. We started the trip in Seattle, rented a car, and made our way down the coast to San Francisco, making stops in Portland and Santa Rosa along the way. This is a trip I have been looking forward to for years, as some of my favorite beers in the world originate from the beer Mecca of the United States, the West Coast.

Here is a list of my favorite places we visited in each city, along with some notes about each and any special beers or food that were had.
Lucky bastage!
I am surprised those folks have any metabolic capacity left in their livers after visiting that many breweries/pubs. Warms my heart to recognize a few of their stops and brews that they sampled. I have bought a few ales at Belmont Station and hoisted one or two at the Deschutes Brewery in Bend and the Rogue Brewery on the coast at Newport. Also have many fond memories of the Oregon Brewer's Festival in 1997 or 1998 with my Dad as we sampled nearly a dozen Oregon and national micros in a park on the Columbia River in July. That would be a helluva trip but I'd love to go hiking/exploring waterfalls in the Columbia Gorge for a week in late July and then cap it off with a day or two at the brewers' festival with friends/family members.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 28th, 2011, 10:20 pm

devildeac wrote:Maharaja-2008 edition-Quite a difference an extra year makes. This monster is 102 IBU and 10.2% ABV or something on that order of magnitude. I remember consuming one from a few years ago shortly after purchase and found it as expected-brutal on the palate and vertical well-being. After a couple years in the bottle in the cellar, it's still highly hopped (grapefruity) and massively malty but considerably smoother on the tastebuds. Bottle-conditioned so it is a cloudy yellow-orange with a modest head. There are some herbal and piney notes and it is very slightly whiskey-ish/boozey. A nice evening drink (I split the bomber over 2 nights) with sharp, pungent cheeses or a spicy entree. When you find this, buy two bottles and enjoy one soon and stick the other in a cellar/closet and re-discover it in a year or two.
Maharaja-2011 Edition-Avery Brewing

This is just as much of a hop bomb as prior tastings but still one of the better IIPAs I have tasted. These are bomber only offerings in their Dictator series along with the Kaiser and the Czar. A highly hopped and grapefruity double IPA with some pine and cannabis notes, too. Huge malty presence for a nicely balanced taste. The IBU rolls in a a massive 102 and the ABV is a coma-inducing 10.54%. I had 4 ounces of this Sunday and Monday nights after a couple lighter brews and finished the bomber tonight with a 14 ounce portion. This is great as a night cap or would be fine with dinner with Indian or hot/spicy Asian fare. Part of the CB&B/devildeac trading series earlier this month ^:)^ :clap: . I'd buy another bomber of this at about $8 according to CB&B and hide it for a year ;) .
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 16th, 2011, 9:49 pm

Page 3 :-o :-o

It's been a busy few months and I am way behind on reviews.
Firestone Walker Parabola--Barrel Aged Imperial Stout. Pours a rich dark brown/black with almost no head. Taste up front is like drinking dark chocolate with hints of vanilla and a subtle fruitiness. A bit more bitter roasted malts in the finish. Very boozy with a strong bourbon bite. Incredibly rich and complex stout. Firestone Walker is quickly becoming one of my favorite brewers even though the selection here is very limited. I'd put this beer in a tie with Goose Island Bourbon County Stout for my favorite RIS. It's packs a punch at over 13% but I spread out a bomber over several nights and it actually seemed to improve each night.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 16th, 2011, 10:01 pm

Founders Blushing Monk. Founders has started a special release 750ml series for some of their currently draft only beers. First up is Blushing Monk which hasn't been bottled in a few years. It's a belgian strong dark ale brewed with lots of raspberries. Pours a deep burgundy red with a large frothy pink head. Taste is like drinking raspberry puree--sweet but tart with a a good deal of yeastiness. Much thicker than I expected but still very smooth and easy to drink. I'm not generally a huge fruit beer fan but this worked well. I split the bottle with my wife over a few nights and she really liked it. ABV about 9%. If you like raspberries, definitely worth the purchase.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 16th, 2011, 11:07 pm

bluebeer wrote:Page 3 :-o :-o

It's been a busy few months and I am way behind on reviews.
Firestone Walker Parabola--Barrel Aged Imperial Stout. Pours a rich dark brown/black with almost no head. Taste up front is like drinking dark chocolate with hints of vanilla and a subtle fruitiness. A bit more bitter roasted malts in the finish. Very boozy with a strong bourbon bite. Incredibly rich and complex stout. Firestone Walker is quickly becoming one of my favorite brewers even though the selection here is very limited. I'd put this beer in a tie with Goose Island Bourbon County Stout for my favorite RIS. It's packs a punch at over 13% but I spread out a bomber over several nights and it actually seemed to improve each night.
We have indeed missed your reviews. Welcome back. Most of my recent reviews have been spring/summer ales so a lot of good session brews but very few high gravity ales. I might have to search for the 2 you just reviewed. Good stuff.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 21st, 2011, 6:53 pm

My friend from Wisconsin is passing through the Land of the Lost. What should I have him bring me?

Wisconsin Belgian Red and ...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 21st, 2011, 10:33 pm

Lavabe wrote:My friend from Wisconsin is passing through the Land of the Lost. What should I have him bring me?

2 or more of those plus:
1. Raspberry Tart (2 or more)
2. A mixed 6er or 12 pack of seasonals from New Glarus.
3. Any limited release bombers or 750 ml bottles.

I'd offer to trade him 1 for 1 of the Sisters of the Moon stuff you bought here last month. I'll send more if he wants some additional NC brews he can't get in Kin-tucky. That would include some Duck Rabbit selections, in addition to Big Boss stuff or Carolina Brewing Company. I'm thinking he'd have ready access to the Highland Brewing Company ales from Asheville. I may have him confused with the beer manager at Liquor Barn but I'd still make him the same offer.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 22nd, 2011, 12:19 pm

devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:My friend from Wisconsin is passing through the Land of the Lost. What should I have him bring me?

2 or more of those plus:

I'd offer to trade him 1 for 1 of the Sisters of the Moon stuff you bought here last month. I'll send more if he wants some additional NC brews he can't get in Kin-tucky. That would include some Duck Rabbit selections, in addition to Big Boss stuff or Carolina Brewing Company. I'm thinking he'd have ready access to the Highland Brewing Company ales from Asheville. I may have him confused with the beer manager at Liquor Barn but I'd still make him the same offer.
And please ship some of those New Glarus brews up to me :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 22nd, 2011, 1:12 pm

bluebeer wrote:
devildeac wrote:

2 or more of those plus:

And please ship some of those New Glarus brews up to me :D
Nope. I'll promise to hang onto them until you come down for a Brunchgate ;) :D =)) .
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 24th, 2011, 4:38 pm

Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 24th, 2011, 6:02 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Road trip!
http://www.aviatorbrew.com/ :happy-bouncyblue:
I hope you tasted this one:

Devils Tramping Ground Tripel- 9.2% alc/vol. 21IBU A hearty Tripel Belgian ale. This Tripel ale will grow hair in places you don't want. Our Tripel is a golden colored ale that has a fruity spicy flavor that finishes a bit sweet. The Devil's Tripel is light tasting from the addition of candy sugar. We add just the right amount of hops to balance out the sweetness. If you are from NC you will know where this place is...maps.google.com search on 'devils tramping ground'. Make the pilgrimage to the devils tramping ground..and bring some Tripel with you for the full experience.

:ymdevil: :duke:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 24th, 2011, 6:13 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Sweetwater IPA (an Atlanta brewery, according to the bartender) on tap at Aunt Chilada's on Hilton Head Island. A very citrusy beer - it tasted like a tart morning grapefruit. Mrs Ozzie said she could smell the grapefruit in it. It was the perfect accompaniment to the grilled wings I had for dinner there tonight - it cut through the peppery spices quite nicely!
Sweetwater IPA? =p~