The Political Junkie Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 25th, 2021, 11:06 pm

What the state of Georgia did today is absolutely insane. Voter suppression out in the wide open and celebrated.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
dudog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by dudog » March 26th, 2021, 7:33 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
March 25th, 2021, 11:06 pm
What the state of Georgia did today is absolutely insane. Voter suppression out in the wide open and celebrated.
Well, then they shouldn't have voted blue in the Prez and both Senate races. Sinners must be punished, y'know.
dudog

Post by dudog » March 26th, 2021, 8:02 am

My favorite is the half-dozen male white troopers arresting the female black elected representative and hauling her away for knocking on the governor's door.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/watch ... i-BB1eZqBg
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » March 26th, 2021, 9:02 am

Any lawyers care to weigh in on the Constitutionality of criminalizing bringing water and food to people standing in voter lines? I can't possibly see a legitimate state interest in such a law. I'm not even sure how it could be enforced.

Personally, I think it's a bad political move, too. It's so far out there, how can it be construed by anyone even vaguely moderate as anything other than a blatant attempt to punish voters for voting? I would think, if anything, it will prompt a large "fuck you" backlash rather than suppressing anyone from actually voting. Just a strange move all around.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 26th, 2021, 9:14 am

Phredd3 wrote:
March 26th, 2021, 9:02 am
Any lawyers care to weigh in on the Constitutionality of criminalizing bringing water and food to people standing in voter lines? I can't possibly see a legitimate state interest in such a law. I'm not even sure how it could be enforced.

Personally, I think it's a bad political move, too. It's so far out there, how can it be construed by anyone even vaguely moderate as anything other than a blatant attempt to punish voters for voting? I would think, if anything, it will prompt a large "fuck you" backlash rather than suppressing anyone from actually voting. Just a strange move all around.
I don't know how they sleep at night. As I've said before, the mental gymnastics they go through to try to justify their behavior is unbelievable. I wish they would spend time actually doing something rather than trying to rig the system. Then when they actually win elections, it is like the dog who caught its tail - they don't know what to do. "Obamacare is awful. We will get rid of it!" Then they do nothing for four years (which is a good thing).

At the next election some Dems should find a very red polling place with a line, put on MAGA hats and carry water bottles that say "Vote Republican" on them and try to hand them to some of the Republican voters. And have a camera crew there to film it. Let's see what happens.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 26th, 2021, 11:09 am

Per Georgia, the lawsuits will come quickly and in numbers. Whether they are resolved before mid-terms (or in time for election boards to reverse changes) remains to be seen. Any of the rulings will be appealed and there is no way they won't ultimately wind up before the supreme court.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 26th, 2021, 12:09 pm

March 26th, 2021, 11:09 am
Per Georgia, the lawsuits will come quickly and in numbers. Whether they are resolved before mid-terms (or in time for election boards to reverse changes) remains to be seen. Any of the rulings will be appealed and there is no way they won't ultimately wind up before the supreme court.
To your point, in some ways, they might have been better off not passing this law until closer to the next election to reduce the risk of it being overturned before the election. Though in their warped point of view they probably don't think it could be overturned so they have nothing to worry about.

A friend of mine just put it perfectly - imagine if Georgia took mass shootings, which really do happen in their state, as seriously as they take voter fraud, which doesn't.

The law would be more fitting if it made it illegal to hand someone in line water or food but it is OK to give them a fully loaded AR-15.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » March 26th, 2021, 12:37 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
March 26th, 2021, 9:02 am

FWIW I do not think it was smart politics, but I think the restriction would pass judicial review. Arguably, it is a restriction on a party or person giving something of value as a way to curry favor or votes.

Not defending that position mind you, just pointing out that such an argument likely gets the restriction through the courts.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 26th, 2021, 12:46 pm

FOX News has now been sued by Dominion voting for 1.6 Beeeeelion dollars.

I kind of wonder if they aren't hurting themselves by suing so many for such an outlandish price. I get the idea behind it, but now that the only person they haven't sued is me, it's seeming like overkill and I expect that may cross a potential judge's mind.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 29th, 2021, 11:32 am

NC senator Thom Tillis announced he has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Wishing him a full recovery so he can be fully healthy for his next election defeat. ;) (Which unfortunately isn't for another 5+ years)

:wizard:

https://www.witn.com/2021/03/29/senator ... diagnosis/
dudog

Post by dudog » March 29th, 2021, 1:47 pm

Good thing I don't work for Yale...and am not a psychiatrist...and don't have a twitter account...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

"Yale professor fired after diagnosing Trump as insane"
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 29th, 2021, 4:52 pm

dudog wrote:
March 29th, 2021, 1:47 pm
Good thing I don't work for Yale...and am not a psychiatrist...and don't have a twitter account...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

"Yale professor fired after diagnosing Trump as insane"
None of Trump's followers would believe it anyway because they have no respect or value for credentialed academic experts. Trump followers like Hawley and Cruz now hide their Ivy League pedigrees.

I understand why they have this rule that psychiatrists shouldn't diagnose patients they haven't met, but I get where this woman is coming from. A close family friend is a prominent academic psychiatrist and has told me that he could write a series of books on everything that is wrong with Trump. But he knows better than to say that publicly.

If I ever had to see a mental health professional, my first question would be who they voted for in 2020. I could not work with any mental health professional who didn't have such extreme concerns about Trump that they were able to vote for him.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » March 29th, 2021, 7:10 pm

March 29th, 2021, 11:32 am
NC senator Thom Tillis announced he has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Wishing him a full recovery so he can be fully healthy for his next election defeat. ;) (Which unfortunately isn't for another 5+ years)

:wizard:

https://www.witn.com/2021/03/29/senator ... diagnosis/
Interesting at least partly because my doctors have reliably - for at least the last five years - been actively discouraging me from getting regular PSA tests. Their mantra has been, "You're pretty likely to die with prostate cancer, but very UN-likely to die OF prostate cancer." Their view is that the diagnostic/treatment cycle is more expensive and just as likely in the long run to lead to a bad outcome treating something that didn't truly need treating.
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » March 31st, 2021, 6:05 pm

Matt Gaetz vows to Tucker Carlson he didn't "travel" with a 17-year-old.

Where there is smoke there is fire....I have to admit to a certain amount of glee upon hearing this news.
The clips on Twitter below of his Tucker interview are a must watch..

https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/stat ... 8825096196
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 31st, 2021, 7:27 pm

Furniture wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 6:05 pm
Matt Gaetz vows to Tucker Carlson he didn't "travel" with a 17-year-old.

Where there is smoke there is fire....I have to admit to a certain amount of glee upon hearing this news.
The clips on Twitter below of his Tucker interview are a must watch..

https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/stat ... 8825096196
I'm guessing that Gaetz is not aware of the nuance of rules in basketball - rolling on the ground with someone is considered "traveling."
dudog

Post by dudog » March 31st, 2021, 7:50 pm

"I have not had a relationship with a 17-year-old. That is totally false," Gaetz told Fox News' Tucker Carlson in an interview Tuesday night. "That is false and records will bear that out to be false. She was 16."

I added the last sentence.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 31st, 2021, 9:33 pm

The more I read about Gaetz, from third party folks, the more I think he's fucked.

As far as his extortion claim, well I can buy that. Because most folks who are extorted are done so with a reason, and the reason isn't that they are innocent. Just because someone pegs you as a good source of cash doesn't mean you aren't going to jail too, you'll just have some company to yell at while you are both behind bars.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » March 31st, 2021, 11:34 pm

March 31st, 2021, 9:33 pm
The more I read about Gaetz, from third party folks, the more I think he's fucked.

As far as his extortion claim, well I can buy that. Because most folks who are extorted are done so with a reason, and the reason isn't that they are innocent. Just because someone pegs you as a good source of cash doesn't mean you aren't going to jail too, you'll just have some company to yell at while you are both behind bars.
I hope he is FUCKED because imho he is a disgusting human being.

If it’s true there hás to be photos.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » April 1st, 2021, 8:46 pm

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5460 ... slept-with

Gaetz showed lawmakers nude photos of women he claimed to have slept with......drip drip.
dudog

Post by dudog » April 2nd, 2021, 12:45 am

Donald Trump
Matt Gaetz
Jim Jordan
Roy Moore

Gee, what do all these people have in common?