Winter Olympics Thread: Vancouver 2010

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

Re: Winter Olympics Thread: Vancouver 2010

Post by colchar » February 21st, 2010, 10:05 pm

The U.S team won the hockey game. Now the U.S gets to rest until the quarter-finals and Canada has to play on Tuesday to get into the quarters. Then again, we're playing Germany and will blow them out of the rink.

Miller played great in the U.S net and basically stole the game for the Yanks. That being said, Brodeur played poorly and, to some extent, cost us the game. They shoulda pulled him during the game and there is no way he should be given another start in these Olympics. Heck, he shouldn't even be the back-up the way he is playing. Time to start Luongo and put Fleury on the bench as the back-up.

Fuck me, I am so sick of the way Canadian teams are picked lately and how they make some decisions for our team. We need to make some big changes in our program because, on paper, nobody should be able to touch us.

I am one severely pissed off puppy right now.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » February 21st, 2010, 10:08 pm

Bode was bodacious... and golden.

Ski-cross was VERY BADASS.

Now it's time for ice dancing.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 21st, 2010, 10:10 pm

Lavabe wrote:Bode was bodacious... and golden.

Ski-cross was VERY BADASS.

Now it's time for ice dancing.
I don't ask for much; I just want to see Domnina/Shabalin in 4th (or lower) after this part of the competition. :D
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 21st, 2010, 10:14 pm

Go Meryl and Charlie!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 21st, 2010, 10:18 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Go Meryl and Charlie!
Meryl and Charlie's Original Dance rocks. It's just cool.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 21st, 2010, 10:19 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
And they just passed Domnina/Shabalin! :-BD :clap: :dance:
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 21st, 2010, 10:25 pm

The Brits skated to Johnny Cash ("I've been everywhere").

WEIRD!!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 21st, 2010, 10:31 pm

Lavabe wrote:The Brits skated to Johnny Cash ("I've been everywhere").

WEIRD!!
Missed that one. The French skated to country music; I didn't particularly like their dance. The starting music was "Thank God I'm a Country Boy." :twitch:
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 21st, 2010, 10:38 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Are they televising the Men's Hockey against Canada live? If not, what a huge opportunity missed.
Of course..unfortunately there was some other game going on at the same time. ;)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 21st, 2010, 10:41 pm

Virtue and Moir have a HUGE lead going into the final round. Barring a complete meltdown they'll get the gold.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » February 21st, 2010, 10:49 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Are they televising the Men's Hockey against Canada live? If not, what a huge opportunity missed.
Of course..unfortunately there was some other game going on at the same time. ;)
I was in the pet ER and couldn't find our game on any of their stations. Sucks to be in Big East/Big 10 country.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 21st, 2010, 11:59 pm

USA!USA!
I echo colchar's assessment that Ryan Miller (namesake of one of my fraternity brothers from Duke) was the difference in the game tonight. I'd go further to say that he's the key to the Americans' whole tournament. Coming into the tournament, it didn't look like the US was that strong a medal contender, and I'd have gladly taken any medal you offered. While I still don't think they'll win gold, they've played one hell of a tournament so far, and they drastically strengthened their medal hopes tonight. Tons of fun to watch.
**== **== **==
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 22nd, 2010, 12:49 am

The Swedes currently lead the Finns, 1-0, in the first intermission. If that result should hold, the U.S. will earn the top seed for the knockout rounds.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 22nd, 2010, 1:36 am

wilson wrote:USA!USA!
I echo colchar's assessment that Ryan Miller (namesake of one of my fraternity brothers from Duke) was the difference in the game tonight. I'd go further to say that he's the key to the Americans' whole tournament. Coming into the tournament, it didn't look like the US was that strong a medal contender, and I'd have gladly taken any medal you offered. While I still don't think they'll win gold, they've played one hell of a tournament so far, and they drastically strengthened their medal hopes tonight. Tons of fun to watch.
**== **== **==

I think their medal hopes are quite good - even for the gold. Russia and Canada aren't playing well right now (although they will likely play each other Wednesday so one of them will be eliminated after that game) and I think the U.S. could easily beat both the Czechs and the Slovaks. That leaves the Fins and the Swedes but I haven't seen either of them play yet (they played each other after the Canada vs. U.S. game but I was too busy to watch the game) so I can't comment on how the U.S. would fare against them. So, for now, I would say that the biggest test the Yanks will have to face would be against Canada (if they play against each other again), the Swedes, or the Fins. Right now, that bodes well for a medal, possibly even for the gold medal.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » February 22nd, 2010, 5:38 am

colchar wrote: Fuck me, I am so sick of the way Canadian teams are picked lately and how they make some decisions for our team. We need to make some big changes in our program because, on paper, nobody should be able to touch us.
That sounds like the US basketball team leading up to their selection of K as the coach.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 22nd, 2010, 6:45 am

ArkieDukie wrote:The French skated to country music; I didn't particularly like their dance. The starting music was "Thank God I'm a Country Boy." :twitch:
Wilson will be rooting for that team. :ymcowboy:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 22nd, 2010, 6:50 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
I'm pulling for Tanith and Ben. I like their names. :D

I can't say that I've ever known a Tanith before. She's a crossword puzzler's dream. :D
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 22nd, 2010, 11:27 am

I'm kinda sorta pulling for the Canadians in hockey. Four of my San Jose Sharks play for Team Canada: Dany Heatley, Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton and Dan Boyle. The Sharks sent more players to the Olympics than any other NHL team.

Only one Shark plays for Team USA: Joe Pavelski. San Jose's former coach, Ron Wilson, is coaching Team USA. (He holds dual citizenship, BTW.)

And maybe I'm pulling for the German team just a little bit since Marcel Goc (former Shark) is playing for them, along with Sharks goalie Thomas Greiss.

And I'm pulling for the Swedes since Douglas Murray is playing for them.

And I'm pulling just a little bit for the Russian team since San Jose's goalie, Evgeni Nabokov, is playing for them.

Go Sharks!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » February 22nd, 2010, 11:31 am

CathyCA wrote:I'm kinda sorta pulling for the Canadians in hockey. Four of my San Jose Sharks play for Team Canada: Dany Heatley, Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton and Dan Boyle. The Sharks sent more players to the Olympics than any other NHL team.

Only one Shark plays for Team USA: Joe Pavelski. San Jose's former coach, Ron Wilson, is coaching Team USA. (He holds dual citizenship, BTW.)

And maybe I'm pulling for the German team just a little bit since Marcel Goc (former Shark) is playing for them, along with Sharks goalie Thomas Greiss.

And I'm pulling for the Swedes since Douglas Murray is playing for them.

And I'm pulling just a little bit for the Russian team since San Jose's goalie, Evgeni Nabokov, is playing for them.

Go Sharks!
My goodness, sounds like a world wide homecoming!!! You are definitely my sports almanac!!!! I love it! :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 22nd, 2010, 11:33 am

CathyCA wrote:And I'm pulling just a little bit for the Russian team