Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » May 14th, 2011, 10:56 am

Grand Cru-Great Divide

Oh my, this is delicious. Traditionally/originally a term reserved for wines, the beer snobs have borrowed this to describe the best offering their brewery produces. I believe Great Divide has chosen well. As the brewer notes below indicate, this is a special Belgian dark ale. In today's brew lingo, an "imperial dubbel" might be an apt description. Medium brown in color, it pours slightly cloudy with a marvelous nose of dark fruits, brown sugar and rum. The tastes match the aromas nicely. There is more of a Belgian lace-type fizz than foam and it is modest. I'd estimate the IBU to be relatively low, around 30 or so. The ABV is a very deceptive 11% and I enjoyed 1/2 of an $8 bomber for celebratory nightcaps each of the last 2 evenings. If you see it, buy two. One to toast something now (ie. Windsor's old boss/friend Charlie, graduation or a wedding) and one for another special day next year or in 2013.

Here is a short writing from Great Divide:

Grand Cru is our very special Belgian-style dark ale. Imported malts give it a round malty richness, and the fruity complexity and slightly spicy character come from brewing with a proprietary Belgian yeast strain. Don’t let the name fool you; while it may be a special occasion beer, this medium-bodied, elegant incarnation is anything but snobbish. 11% ABV.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 19th, 2011, 10:51 pm

G'Knight-Oskar Blues Brewing

More beer in a can. This is an imperial red ale. Their web site says imperial red/double IPA but the slightly reddish-orange color, the slight citrus notes and the somewhat lower IBU of 60 really don't qualify this as an IIPA. Mighty tasty however. It is a bit viscous, somewhat biscuity and sweet and pours with a 2-3 finger foamy head. This would make a nice beverage with soups, lighter stews, BBQ chicken or pulled pork. I have never seen this until this week and think the $9 or $9.50 for the 4 pack is a reasonable price for the quality, quantity and 8.7% ABV :D . A few brewer notes, too:

Our “Velvet M-80” is a hefty, dry hopped double-red ale with a nose full of aroma, a sticky mouthfeel, a malty middle and unctuous hop flavors. G’Knight sports a surprisingly sensuous finish for a beer of its size (8.7% ABV, 60 IBUs). It’s brewed in tribute to a fellow Colorado craft beer pioneer and Vietnam vet who died fighting a 2002 wild fire outside of our Lyons hometown. For all the details behind this tribute follow this link to http://www.N3978Y.com. G’Mornin’. G’Day. G’Knight.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 21st, 2011, 11:33 pm

BPA-Brewery Ommegang

I'm too tired tonight so I'll let the brewers tell you about this one:

Ommegang BPA is our interpretation of a true Belgian-style Pale Ale. Taking inspiration
from both sides of the Atlantic, we feel we've brewed up something completely unique.

BPA is brewed with 5 specialty malts and generously- though not excessively -hopped
with three hops: Columbus for bittering, three additions of Celeia for aroma, then
dry-hopped with Cascade. BPA is primary fermented and bottle-conditioned using our
signature house yeast.

Copper-golden in color with entrancing effervescence, BPA forms a substantial, fluffy
white head, giving off aromas of tropical fruit and citrus. Noticeable herbal notes and
bitterness from the hops never overpower the balanced malt backbone and allow the
estery qualities of our yeast to shine through.

We feel the result is quite remarkable. Giving a nod to the fine Pale Ales brewed in
America today, though never forgetting its classic Belgian roots, BPA is exceedingly
refreshing and well-balanced. At a modest 6.2% ABV this beer is perfect as the weather
warms and the days lengthen, BBQ's become more abundant, and friends look to gather
outdoors more. BPA lends itself to a wide array of food pairings; seamlessly with lighter
fare such as salads and seafood, locally made cheeses and meats with spicy pickles,
and never forget about your burgers and grilled sausages!

Very refreshing and versatile brew. Another winner from a brewery I have loved for many years. IBU are kinda low, guessing 40-50. A bit pricey at about $10 for the 4 pack but that gives you a couple to share/trade and a couple to enjoy of your own :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 22nd, 2011, 6:39 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:Old Stock Ale 2007-North Coast Brewing-Delicious. I found a guy stocking the shelf at Total Wine with this and was amazed to see the 2007 on the neck of the bottle. I laughed and made a comment about the age and he said it should be ready to drink now and I disagreed and said maybe another year :roll: :)) =)) . It's ready this year. The IBU are only 36 and the web site it's made with a buncha English hops and malts and the malts win. This is an old ale style brew with plenty of dark caramel-like tastes along with dark candied fruits. I had this as a nightcap the last 3 nights dividing the 12 ouncer into 3 servings from a dessert wine glass and sipped it after it had sat for about 30 minutes. It's 11.7% ABV and does taste boozey. They describe it as port-like but it's not quite that dark and resembles a darker sherry to me. 8-x and CB&B each got a bottle of this last Saturday and this could be enjoyed as an after dinner drink or as dessert or with come chocolate for dessert, too. I'm gonna save the 4th bottle and put it with some BBCS and Bigfoot I've been saving.
What a find..this is one of my favorite old ales and I bet its fantastic with several years on it..
I'm saving mine to celebrate a victory with. Might be tonight, might be in March.
I followed your plan and decided to celebrate with my last 2007 Old Stock. The victory was moving CLD outta her apartment in Derm and into her (almost) newlywed apartment in Mebane. I chose wisely but was so tired last PM that I only had 1/2 of the 12 ounce bottle. Now, I can celebrate again with the remaining six ounces tonight :D =p~ .

I can't add too much to my prior review except to agree with bluebeer (Are you still reading, sir?) that is was even better with 4 years to cellar. Just a bit smoother and with even more sherry-like characteristics and no spoilage! I did not have any BBCS or Bigfoot with it but I do have 3 bottles of the 2009 Old Ale so perhaps this winter, there will be some tastings at the devildeac household. Let's see, there might be another wedding or a big football victory or two...
:think:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 22nd, 2011, 7:29 pm

Upper Canada Ale... made from FOUR ingredients.

Hey... when in Canada...

Sure sounded more appealing than the Steamwhistle Pilsener.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 22nd, 2011, 10:35 pm

Tripel-Great Divide

Could not even find this one on the beer list on their web site. This represents the style nicely with a slightly cloudy yellow-orange pour with a generous amount of Belgian lace which lingers. Notes of black pepper from the Belgian yeast are mild and the other tastes of orange peel and coriander are present, too, and pretty typical for the style. Bitterness is quite mild, guessing about 30 for the IBU and the ABV is wicked at 9.3% so I split this $8 bomber over a couple nights. This would make a nice beverage with a fruit plate pre or post dinner or with a mild, fruity salsa and some grouper or chicken. I'm still celebrating :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 23rd, 2011, 10:24 pm

Wilco, Tango, Foxtrot-Lagunitas Brewing

Rather interesting brew, probably best labeled as an imperial brown IPA. Why? Well, it is a clear brown color but has the piney/resinous bite of an IPA. The IBU are 64.2 (yes, it is on the bottle) which is high for a brown ale but in range for an IPA. The ABV is a bit high for either a brown ale or an IPA, which is why I characterized it as an IBIPA @-) . Sold as a bomber at $4.50 at our neighborhood Harris-Teeter, I found this to be quite worth the price, especially dividing it over 2 nights. It would make a nice beverage with stews, hearty soups, BBQ pork/chicken/beef or with burgers and brats. A few brewer's notes follow:

This Beer was Supposed to Follow Up the 2009 Correction Ale with the Name ‘2010 Recovery Ale’, And Here in 2011 it STILL Doesn’t Look Like We’ll Be There Anytime Soon. Wonderin & wonderin’..... WTF?
:-?

Wilco
Tango
Foxtrot :)) =))
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 31st, 2011, 1:12 pm

One week without a post here?

BAD news: O'Fallon is not available at Liquor Barn. I talked with the beer manager, and they are waiting a little bit on O'Fallon, as they have had some financial issues, but have been recently taken over. The manager hopes that O'Fallon will have some brews this summer.

Good news: After the manager and I talked about my brother-in-law, he wanted to know if anyone can get a hold of Mother Earth's Silent Night or Sisters of the Moon. Anyone ever hear of these?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 31st, 2011, 1:26 pm

Lavabe wrote:One week without a post here?

BAD news: O'Fallon is not available at Liquor Barn. I talked with the beer manager, and they are waiting a little bit on O'Fallon, as they have had some financial issues, but have been recently taken over. The manager hopes that O'Fallon will have some brews this summer.

Good news: After the manager and I talked about my brother-in-law, he wanted to know if anyone can get a hold of Mother Earth's Silent Night or Sisters of the Moon. Anyone ever hear of these?
Never heard of or spotted Silent Night. I'd guess that is their Christmas ale. Everything else I have tasted from Mother Earth, a relatively new brewery in Kinston, has been very good, including Endless River, Sisters, Dark Cloud and Triple Overhead.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 31st, 2011, 6:01 pm

devildeac wrote:

Never heard of or spotted Silent Night. I'd guess that is their Christmas ale. Everything else I have tasted from Mother Earth, a relatively new brewery in Kinston, has been very good, including Endless River, Sisters, Dark Cloud and Triple Overhead.
Wasn't Endless River the beer I brought to you at a Brunchgate? Yes, it was. Silent Night is one of Mother Earth's seasonal brews. Sisters of the Moon is available year round.

And thus ends my quarterly posting in the "Ymm, Beer!" thread.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 31st, 2011, 6:30 pm

I did my Liquor Bar buy for dd & CB&B. Couldn't find anything for EarlJam... ;)

Can I get SISTERS OF THE MOON in Raleigh? If not, is there ANY way to send up a SISTERS OF THE MOON to dd this weekend, I'd like to bring it back for the LBarn manager.

I have a fine assortment of Schlafly (including a special 20th anniversary brew), Great Lakes, Goose Island, BBC, and Napa Smith's.

Has Sweetwater made its way up to Raleigh?
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 31st, 2011, 8:50 pm

Lavabe wrote:I did my Liquor Bar buy for dd & CB&B. Couldn't find anything for EarlJam... ;)

Can I get SISTERS OF THE MOON in Raleigh? If not, is there ANY way to send up a SISTERS OF THE MOON to dd this weekend, I'd like to bring it back for the LBarn manager.

I have a fine assortment of Schlafly (including a special 20th anniversary brew), Great Lakes, Goose Island, BBC, and Napa Smith's.

Yes. Sisters of the Moon is available in Raleigh, even at the Harris-Teeter. Check out Mother Earth's brewfinder here: http://www.motherearthbrewing.com/page/brewfinder

(My second post of the quarter in the "Ymm, Beer!" thread. . .)

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 31st, 2011, 9:07 pm

CathyCA wrote:(My second post of the quarter in the "Ymm, Beer!" thread. . .)

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 31st, 2011, 10:28 pm

Lavabe wrote:I did my Liquor Bar buy for dd & CB&B. Couldn't find anything for EarlJam... ;)

They generally have all the Sisters brews at the Total Wine stores and 1 or 2 at Harris Teeter as Cathy replied in her 2nd post this quarter on this thread. You may go out any time this weekend and purchase a 6er or a selection of singles.

Your assortment sounds hopalicious.

The year round Sweetwater brews are readily available and we get an occasional seasonal 6er and a rare Dank Tank bomber.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 31st, 2011, 10:31 pm

CathyCA wrote:

Yes. Sisters of the Moon is available in Raleigh, even at the Harris-Teeter. Check out Mother Earth's brewfinder here: http://www.motherearthbrewing.com/page/brewfinder

A true PW.
:ymhug:
:-*
=))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 31st, 2011, 10:36 pm

bluebeer wrote:Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Grand Cru...I believe this is the last of the 30th anniversary brews and it might be my favorite of the set. According to SN, this is a dry-hopped blend of Oak Aged Bigfoot, Celebration, and SN Pale Ale. 750ml corked and caged bottle. Pours a rich amber red with a nice frothy head. Big hop taste initially with a lot of pine and some citrus. This is balanced well with a fairly strong vanilla flavor and some sweeter malts. More hoppiness in the finish though not overwhelming bitter..the oak aging is fairly noticeable and helps to smooth it out overall. I really liked this beer a lot. It reminds me a lot of an imperial red but with more of a malt balance.. ABV is 9.2%.
I just finished a bottle of this divided over 3 nights and while I don't think I found it to be my favorite of the set, it still was a very distinctive and outstanding brew and I have little to add to bluebeer's excellent description. I will note though that the oak-aged Bigfoot component is apparently 22% of the brew and comes from bourbon barrels and there is the slightest taste of whiskey at the very end of each sip. Quit e the undertaking and selection by SN for their 30th anniversary series.

I'm still celebrating :D .
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 31st, 2011, 10:37 pm

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

A true PW.
:ymhug:
:-*
=))

I learned from the best. ;)

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 31st, 2011, 11:11 pm

Olde School Barleywine 2007 vintage-Dogfish Head Brewing

Another outstanding ale that continued to benefit from additional cellaring. This was highly drinkable when it was released and was even smoother and richer after 4 years of aging. It was a bit more cloudy but still a deep ruby-brown color and continued to have sherry-like tastes and aromas. The modest bitterness with an IBU around 60-70 had yielded to the sweetness of the massive amounts of caramel and chocolate malts which clock this monster in at 15% ABV, just at the "legal" limit now for brews sold in NC :D . No food pairings with this. This should be served slightly chilled in a snifter for your after dinner drink or night cap. I enjoyed about 4 ounces of this each of the last 3 nights along with about 8.5 ounces of the SN Grand Cru.

Yea, I'm still celebrating :D .
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 1st, 2011, 4:55 pm

A visit to TOTAL WINE with all the selections of wines and beers would keep one buying something new every week.

I just don't like drinking something that smells like the BARNYARD of animals.

I have tasted Blue Moon, and Corona, and they don't have that smell. I still don't and never have liked Beer.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 1st, 2011, 7:18 pm

City Beverage in Winston-Salem is tapping a cask of Sisters of the Moon on Friday at 4:00.

Too bad I'll be in Raleigh....

http://citybeverage.com/

And THAT'S my quarterly post for this thread.
Iron Duke #1471997.