LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Bostondevil » March 29th, 2011, 10:57 am

Oh, I can't resist jumping back into the epidural discussion.

Epidurals, they worked for me. They work for most women. They don't work for all women. I brought it up in the first place because a good portion of the prepared childbirth class that I took way back when seemed to be about scaring me out of having an epidural. With Andrew, I tried to do without it but after 19 hours, when they started talking C-section, I said give me the epidural first. It saved me from having a C-section. In some ways I think the epidural helped save my third son Tommy's life (his birth was an extreme emergency situation). And after I had that first one it mystified me as to why anyone would try to talk me out of it. Sure, there are risks involved, talk to your doctor about them.

I do medical and health care policy reseach myself. Yes, there are often complications as the result of anesthesia. There are a lot more complications as the result of surgery. Because of Tommy's emergency situation, Ronnie was a scheduled C-section. Thank god I didn't have to have 4 C-sections is all I can say. I doubt I would have had 4 kids. And I recovered relatively quickly from my surgery.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 29th, 2011, 11:03 am

EarlJam wrote: Like to purchase any NOOKs with that grant?

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

-EarlJam
EJ, when I purchased Mrs. Ozzie her Nook for Christmas I didn't even think of getting it through you. Sorry about that. I forgot you worked for B&N. I got her the original black and white model. She likes it. B-)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 29th, 2011, 11:05 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Remember that huge grant we were writing back in September? The one that made me cancel my trip to the Alabama game? I found out yesterday that we got the grant. Now it's a matter of waiting for Congress to approve the federal budget so we will know how much $ we will get. Less than 10 proposals were selected for funding, so this is a big deal.
Congratulations AD! :happy-bouncyblue: B-)

Think you'll be able to make it to a game (and Brunchgate) this year?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » March 29th, 2011, 11:10 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Remember that huge grant we were writing back in September? The one that made me cancel my trip to the Alabama game? I found out yesterday that we got the grant. Now it's a matter of waiting for Congress to approve the federal budget so we will know how much $ we will get. Less than 10 proposals were selected for funding, so this is a big deal.

:ymhug: :clap: ^:)^

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » March 29th, 2011, 11:17 am

Bostondevil wrote:Oh, I can't resist jumping back into the epidural discussion.

Epidurals, they worked for me. They work for most women. They don't work for all women. I brought it up in the first place because a good portion of the prepared childbirth class that I took way back when seemed to be about scaring me out of having an epidural. With Andrew, I tried to do without it but after 19 hours, when they started talking C-section, I said give me the epidural first. It saved me from having a C-section. In some ways I think the epidural helped save my third son Tommy's life (his birth was an extreme emergency situation). And after I had that first one it mystified me as to why anyone would try to talk me out of it. Sure, there are risks involved, talk to your doctor about them.

I do medical and health care policy reseach myself. Yes, there are often complications as the result of anesthesia. There are a lot more complications as the result of surgery. Because of Tommy's emergency situation, Ronnie was a scheduled C-section. Thank god I didn't have to have 4 C-sections is all I can say. I doubt I would have had 4 kids. And I recovered relatively quickly from my surgery.
I agree with everything you said 100%, BD, except my wife's experience was the opposite. The doctor refused to proceed without an epidural. He insisted that ALL his patients had to get them. He didn't inform us of this policy beforehand, so we were pretty angry, especially after all the problems afterward. The irony is that he's one of the highest rated OB/GYNs around, written up in an article in the Washington Post magazine as a doctor that other doctors wanted to go to. We were not such big fans. The problem was that he was part of a group of seven doctors, and there are three of them that my wife thinks are AMAZING. Luckily, she can see only the ones she likes for appointments. With the other two, we had scheduled inductions and she picked days when the doctors she likes were on duty at the hospital.

My wife similarly says that Stadol helped prevent her from having to have a C-section. She was stuck at 3 cm for almost nine hours (total labor time to that point was a little over 15 hours) with our second little guy. Then she got the Stadol injection and went from 3 cm to pushing in 45 minutes. It was during a shift change, and we had about every nurse on the floor in there scrambling to get the room ready. With our third kid, she got stuck at 3 cm for two hours and when it became clear she wasn't going any further, she said, "hit me with the Stadol." They did, and she was pushing in 30 minutes. This time, we warned them and they had the room ready when they gave her the shot. Not nearly so much scrambling, though the doctor was stuck with another patient in an emergency c-section and almost missed the whole thing. Without the Stadol, she just couldn't seem to relax enough to proceed past 3 cm. As she likes to say, the Stadol took the edge off so she could relax. We probably should have known, since she was pushing within an hour or so of getting the epidural, too. It was just all so crazy with the first kid that we never thought about it.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » March 29th, 2011, 12:13 pm

I want an epidural and I'm not even pregnant.
I worship the Blue Devil!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 29th, 2011, 2:37 pm

:ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: Payback is a bitch!!!!!

The night we played the holes in Cameron, B and I went to Burt's Seafood in Greensboro to meet with a couple who had asked B to preside at their wedding.

On the way out, we stopped and looked at the TV in the bar. It was in the first half, and things were not going well. The owner was watching, and B said something to him about my going to Duke, whereupon the owner informed me that the last people who said they had gone to Duke, he had told them that he had put poison in their food. Stay classy, tarholes, stay classy.

Anyway, we got an email from the bride-to-be today, stating what a nice time we all had at Burt's, and wasn't it too bad they'd closed down.
:ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » March 29th, 2011, 3:46 pm

lawgrad91 wrote::ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: Payback is a bitch!!!!!

The night we played the holes in Cameron, B and I went to Burt's Seafood in Greensboro to meet with a couple who had asked B to preside at their wedding.

On the way out, we stopped and looked at the TV in the bar. It was in the first half, and things were not going well. The owner was watching, and B said something to him about my going to Duke, whereupon the owner informed me that the last people who said they had gone to Duke, he had told them that he had put poison in their food. Stay classy, tarholes, stay classy.

Anyway, we got an email from the bride-to-be today, stating what a nice time we all had at Burt's, and wasn't it too bad they'd closed down.
Gotta love Karma!
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 29th, 2011, 6:56 pm

wilson wrote:
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Thanks, wilson!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 29th, 2011, 6:58 pm

EarlJam wrote:
wilson wrote:
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
CONGRATULATIONS! :ymparty:

Like to purchase any NOOKs with that grant?

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

-EarlJam
Thanks, EarlJam! No; sorry - no NOOKs with the grant.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 29th, 2011, 6:59 pm

wilson wrote:Today, I shall complete The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Then, I shall commence The Girl who Played with Fire.
I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Good read. Haven't read the rest of the series yet.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 29th, 2011, 7:00 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: Congratulations! :-BD ^:)^ :clap: :dance: \:d/ :9f:
Thanks, lawgrad!
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 29th, 2011, 7:01 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
Congratulations, AD!
Thanks, DinK!
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 29th, 2011, 7:02 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Thanks, Tilly!
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 29th, 2011, 7:03 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Congratulations!

:9f:
Thanks, CathyCA! Hope you're feeling better today. :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 29th, 2011, 7:04 pm

Big exciting grant: The best thing that ever happened to ArkieDukie's post count.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 29th, 2011, 7:07 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Congratulations AD! :happy-bouncyblue: B-)

Think you'll be able to make it to a game (and Brunchgate) this year?
Thanks, Ozzie!

To answer your question, I don't know. I've learned better than to schedule any trips. Let's just say Brunchgate last year was not an isolated incident.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 29th, 2011, 7:08 pm

bjornolf wrote:

:ymhug: :clap: ^:)^

@};-
Thanks, bjornolf!
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 29th, 2011, 7:10 pm

lawgrad91 wrote::ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: Payback is a bitch!!!!!

=)) =)) :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :9f: :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » March 29th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Congratulations, AD! The vibes work.
Here's another post count addition chance. :idea:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"