LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by DukieInKansas » March 28th, 2011, 4:59 pm

I'm not a mom, but when someone I know is pregnant, I always quiz the dad-to-be what his first words are going to be when they get to the hospital. Hint for Mr. DA - "She wants an epidural". No mother I know has ever disputed this fact.

Hang in there, DA. Soon you will be holding a little miracle in your arms and there will be another Blue Devil in the world.
Life is good!
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » March 28th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Glad to hear everybody's doing well.
I am reminded of Aretha Franklin's version of Doctor Feelgood. Didn't have anything to do with surgery.

Marshall Plumlee got ripped off at the slam dunk contest tonight. He lost by two points, and it was because of bad scoring on his last attempt. He should have been given a lot more.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 28th, 2011, 10:14 pm

captmojo wrote:Glad to hear everybody's doing well.
I am reminded of Aretha Franklin's version of Doctor Feelgood. Didn't have anything to do with surgery.

Marshall Plumlee got ripped off at the slam dunk contest tonight. He lost by two points, and it was because of bad scoring on his last attempt. He should have been given a lot more.
Or maybe he could have worn a dorky hat, like the kid that allegedly won.

BTW, Miles mentioned on FB that "Blowpop" got robbed. BLOWPOP? There's a nickname I wouldn't have expected. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » March 28th, 2011, 10:51 pm

CathyCA wrote:Prior to going under this morning, I referred to my anesthesiologist as "Dr. Feelgood." After the surgery, my mom spoke to him, and she called him "Dr. Feelgood" to his face.

=))

:9f:
Glad the surgery went well, and hope you're able to get a good night's sleep! :happy-bouncyblue:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 29th, 2011, 7:53 am

Remember that huge grant we were writing back in September? The one that made me cancel my trip to the Alabama game? I found out yesterday that we got the grant. Now it's a matter of waiting for Congress to approve the federal budget so we will know how much $ we will get. Less than 10 proposals were selected for funding, so this is a big deal.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » March 29th, 2011, 8:05 am

CathyCA wrote:
Yeah, well, that was your wife. I did great with my epidural, and I would do it all over again if I ever got pregnant.

I just had general anesthesia this morning and I'm doing great. I'm home, I've already called in a few assignments to work, I've eaten lunch, and I'm getting ready to go for a walk.

Don't go scaring DA with your wife's horror stories. As I recall, DA asked the MOMS of the board for our advice.

She didn't ask anyone for advice. She asked the mom's if chest pain was normal. Y'all started heaping the advice on her completely on your own. And pardon me for trying to let her know about the risks and the alternatives so she can make an informed choice. God forbid a biomedical engineer present during the labor of three children should have an opinion on something medical.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 29th, 2011, 8:37 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Prior to going under this morning, I referred to my anesthesiologist as "Dr. Feelgood." After the surgery, my mom spoke to him, and she called him "Dr. Feelgood" to his face.

=))

Glad the surgery went well, and hope you're able to get a good night's sleep! :happy-bouncyblue:
Thanks, DA! I napped twice yesterday, and I slept for 8 hours last night. I feel good! I have two people waiting on me. Did I mention that I had breakfast in bed? My sweet Christian fixed me a cup of hot tea and a banana and brought them to me. Mom has come over once this morning to check on me, and she's coming back to prepare my lunch.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 29th, 2011, 8:43 am

bjornolf wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Yeah, well, that was your wife. I did great with my epidural, and I would do it all over again if I ever got pregnant.

I just had general anesthesia this morning and I'm doing great. I'm home, I've already called in a few assignments to work, I've eaten lunch, and I'm getting ready to go for a walk.

Don't go scaring DA with your wife's horror stories. As I recall, DA asked the MOMS of the board for our advice.

She didn't ask anyone for advice. She asked the mom's if chest pain was normal. Y'all started heaping the advice on her completely on your own. And pardon me for trying to let her know about the risks and the alternatives so she can make an informed choice. God forbid a biomedical engineer present during the labor of three children should have an opinion on something medical.

@};-

Postby DevilAlumna » March 27th, 2011, 1:52 am
Hey you Moms out there,

Care to provide some reassurance that chest pains at 35 weeks is normal? I assume it's because future-DA is growing upward into my diaphragm & rib cage, but it feels like someone is using the jaws of life from the inside to get out.

I keep hoping all of these promises of "lightening" (baby dropping into the pelvis) are true as well! Come on, gravity!
If you will CAREFULLY read DA's first line in her post, you will notice that it directed to the MOMS out there. I've highlighted it for you.

:-B

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 29th, 2011, 8:46 am

CathyCA wrote:

Hey you Moms out there,

Care to provide some reassurance that chest pains at 35 weeks is normal? I assume it's because future-DA is growing upward into my diaphragm & rib cage, but it feels like someone is using the jaws of life from the inside to get out.

I keep hoping all of these promises of "lightening" (baby dropping into the pelvis) are true as well! Come on, gravity!
If you will CAREFULLY read DA's first line in her post, you will notice that it directed to the MOMS out there. I've highlighted it for you.

Don't make me merge this with the Snarky thread!!!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 29th, 2011, 8:48 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Hey you Moms out there,

Don't make me merge this with the Snarky thread!!!
That might be a good place for it.

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » March 29th, 2011, 8:56 am

CathyCA wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:Re: LTE 2.0

Hey you Moms out there,

If YOU will read carefully the SECOND line of her post, she asks for reassurance that chest pains at 35 weeks are normal. She never asks for advice about labor, epidurals, or any of that. You went off all half-cocked with your advice. That was MY point. I was responding to YOUR advice, not to her seeking advice, which she NEVER did. Again, I don't see you going after Wilson or DinK for chiming in.

Again, if you are going to completely leave the topic that SHE ASKED MOMS ABOUT, then I reserve the right to chime in and let her know that there are alternatives to an epidural, there are disadvantages to an epidural, and there are RISKS to an epidural. She has the right to know those too. Look, I'm not going off all crazy talking about the myriad of HORRIBLE things that have happened to women who have had epidurals, but I can if you want. I'm not going to list them cause I don't want to scare DA if she wants an epidural because the chances of the really bad once occurring are infinitesimal, but it's REAL easy to google them if she wants to. She should be informed, that's all I'm saying.

Look, you're a good attorney, I'm sure. The best. So I'm not gonna try to argue semantics with you. From what I've seen, you're a GREAT mom, especially with all the crap you've had to put up with. You have personally been through two labors, which I know aren't easy. I won't try to say I know more about that than you, either. However, I've been the witness, support, and coach for three labors. I've seen the bad side of epidurals up close and personal and it scared the shit out of me. On top of that, I'm a biomedical engineer with a degree from Duke who spent two years studying the effects of anesthesia, including epidurals. I've read the reports and seen the scans, impersonally and objectively, of HUNDREDS of people who had epidurals go wrong, MUCH worse than my wife's. So, excuse me for living, but on the medical side, I'm going to chime in if I feel the need.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » March 29th, 2011, 9:18 am

The fact of the matter is that many doctors insist on an epidural because it makes their job easier. The mother isn't going to get up and walk around. It basically chains her to the bed. She doesn't complain as much because there's less pain. So, given that, do you think he's going to play up the BAD parts of the epidural? The much higher incidence of required forceps (3x as often)? The risks to the mother and the baby? Of course not. If he mentions them at all, he's going to breeze over them. Say it hardly happens at all. The percentages are low. Absolutely they are. The percentages are also low that your kid gets autism or has down syndrome. That doesn't change the fact that there IS a chance, and if you are one of those unlucky few, then your chances are 100% and you have to live with them forever. The doctor doesn't.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 29th, 2011, 9:28 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Remember that huge grant we were writing back in September? The one that made me cancel my trip to the Alabama game? I found out yesterday that we got the grant. Now it's a matter of waiting for Congress to approve the federal budget so we will know how much $ we will get. Less than 10 proposals were selected for funding, so this is a big deal.
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » March 29th, 2011, 9:30 am

wilson wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Remember that huge grant we were writing back in September? The one that made me cancel my trip to the Alabama game? I found out yesterday that we got the grant. Now it's a matter of waiting for Congress to approve the federal budget so we will know how much $ we will get. Less than 10 proposals were selected for funding, so this is a big deal.
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
CONGRATULATIONS! :ymparty:

Like to purchase any NOOKs with that grant?

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 29th, 2011, 9:39 am

Today, I shall complete The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Then, I shall commence The Girl who Played with Fire.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » March 29th, 2011, 9:41 am

wilson wrote:Today, I shall complete The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Then, I shall commence The Girl who Played with Fire.
I finished the series a week ago. I a miss Lisbeth Salander.
I worship the Blue Devil!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 29th, 2011, 9:52 am

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: Congratulations! :-BD ^:)^ :clap: :dance: \:d/ :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » March 29th, 2011, 9:55 am

Congratulations, AD!
Life is good!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » March 29th, 2011, 10:22 am

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
I worship the Blue Devil!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 29th, 2011, 10:35 am

Congratulations!

~ James Naismith