Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » April 2nd, 2011, 1:46 pm

St Victorius Doublebock-Victory Brewing

Alas, due to our season-ending loss last weekend, this brew was neither saintly nor victorious. It wasn't too timely either :( . I bought the 6er for a couple reasons. The first was that I had never tasted this brew before as Victory had never bottled it. Secondly, I was anticipating a Duke win and savoring this in celebration. However, it proved to be a solid brew for the style. Double bocks are higher ABV than their bock brethren, typically in the 8-9% range. This was a bit thin at 7.6%. I'd guess IBU about 20-30 as it is a lager brewed with generous amounts of malts with some smoked malts in this offering. The smoke aroma and taste was very subtle. The bready/biscuity nose and taste were fairly standard. It pours a medium to light brown with a modest head and also had some very mild floral bitterness from the German whole flower hops. Certainly worth a single or a trader to taste but not a whole 6er again.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » April 2nd, 2011, 3:02 pm

Been a while since I dropped by this thread to remind you Crazies that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE beer :)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 2nd, 2011, 6:33 pm

120 Minute IPA 2007 release-Dogfish Head

Consumed and reviewed in honor of our outstanding 120 minute performance in the ACCT in mid March :D. Another "anniversary" brew for CTN anniversary week :D . Once again, I have difficulty reviewing this as a beer because it is such a unique concoction. I believe it is continuously or repeatedly hopped for its 120 minute boiling cycle. This yields an intensely citrusy and fruity profile to the tune of 120 IBU. Yet another reason for its 120 minute name. There is a minimal head to this cloudy, red-orange pour and it is best sipped and savored slightly chilled in small aliquots due to its 18-20% ABV. The massive amount of grain to reach this high gravity impart a sherry-like taste, too, thereby balancing the palate-scorching high IBU. The 12 ounce bottles of this are about $9 and I'll finish one over 3-4 nights. If you can find any, buy several and age them for a few years as I have done and then compare tastings.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 3rd, 2011, 3:27 pm

Hop Ottin' IPA (can)-Anderson Valley Brewing

Brewer's notes:

Hop Ottin’ IPA is as hoppy as they come. The name means “hard working hops,” in Boontling, and that tells it all. Generous additions of high-alpha Pacific Northwest hops added during a vigorous boil, plus traditional dry hopping, with whole hop cones, give this ale a delicious citrus aroma, and an intense hoppy bite. This IPA is a hop lover’s dream.

My notes:

Just as I remember from the bottled variety from years ago. Plenty of hop pucker at 80 IBU, almost in the IIPA range. A solid 7% ABV, which is at the upper limit for IPAs and plenty of caramel/malty sweetness to offset the piney and citrusy edge. Yellow-orange pour, plenty of foam and strong enough for any spicy Asian dishes. This brewery has been around since 1987 and their consistent line of winners are testimonials to their longevity.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » April 3rd, 2011, 8:48 pm

devildeac wrote:120 Minute IPA 2007 release-Dogfish Head

Consumed and reviewed in honor of our outstanding 120 minute performance in the ACCT in mid March :D. Another "anniversary" brew for CTN anniversary week :D . Once again, I have difficulty reviewing this as a beer because it is such a unique concoction. I believe it is continuously or repeatedly hopped for its 120 minute boiling cycle. This yields an intensely citrusy and fruity profile to the tune of 120 IBU. Yet another reason for its 120 minute name. There is a minimal head to this cloudy, red-orange pour and it is best sipped and savored slightly chilled in small aliquots due to its 18-20% ABV. The massive amount of grain to reach this high gravity impart a sherry-like taste, too, thereby balancing the palate-scorching high IBU. The 12 ounce bottles of this are about $9 and I'll finish one over 3-4 nights. If you can find any, buy several and age them for a few years as I have done and then compare tastings.
It's been a few years since I've had one of these but your review makes me want to hunt one down. I think DFH had to toss a whole batch of this over the past year because of poor quality so its become a bit harder to find..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 3rd, 2011, 9:13 pm

bluebeer wrote:
devildeac wrote:120 Minute IPA 2007 release-Dogfish Head

It's been a few years since I've had one of these but your review makes me want to hunt one down. I think DFH had to toss a whole batch of this over the past year because of poor quality so its become a bit harder to find..
You are correct about DFH tossing a batch of this recently. Lavabe told me about a special on The History Channel, IIRC, that they apparently tried multiple things to save their 2010 brewing of the 120 Minute IPA but ended up dumping about $500K worth of the stuff. Enough to make some grown men :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( .
:(
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 5th, 2011, 11:21 am

bluebeer wrote:Sierra Nevada/Ovila Abbey Ale..Very cool project..Here is the description with my review below..

"Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. announced a partnership with the Trappist-Cistercian Abbey of New Clairvaux to create the only authentic Trappist-style Abbey ales in A
In 2011, Sierra Nevada and the Trappist-Cistercian Abbey of New Clairvaux are working to bring this centuries-old tradition to America with Ovila-the nation's only authentic Trappist-style Abbey Ale.

This series of three Belgian -style Abbey ales is made in accordance with the centuries-old tradition of the monks. Each beer will be only be available for a limited time and will rotate through the seasons. The first beer in the series, scheduled for release in March, will be a Belgian-style Dubbel brewed with authentic Trappist yeast. The second beer in the series, scheduled for release in July, will be a Saison, the traditional Belgian-style farmhouse ale made in honor of the Monk's dedication to labor in the fields surrounding their abbey. The third will be released in time for the holidays. It will be a Trappist-style Quadrupel rich with dark fruit flavors and the unique wine-like characters of these strong Abbey ales.

Proceeds from this project will benefit the monks of the Abbey of New Clairvaux in their efforts to rebuild an architectural marvel-a 12th century, early-gothic Cistercian chapter house-on their grounds in Vina, California a few miles north of Sierra Nevada's home in Chico. The medieval chapterhouse-Santa Maria de Ovila-was begun in 1190, near the village of Trillo, Spain. Cistercian monks lived, prayed, and worked there for nearly 800 years. In 1931, California newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst purchased the abbey and shipped it to Northern California. Hearst's plans were never realized, and the stones fell into disrepair. In 1994, the Trappist-Cistercian monks of the Abbey of New Clairvaux, gained possession of the ruins, and began the painstaking stone-by-stone reconstruction of the historic abbey.

Located in Vina, California, the Abbey of New Clairvaux is a Cistercian Abbey of Strict Observance (Trappist). The abbey was founded in 1955 on 590 acres of Leland Stanford's famed Vina Ranch. The monks follow the Rule of St. Benedict-Ora est Labora (Prayer and Work) and spend their days in prayer, meditation, and tending to the labor of the working farm located at the abbey."

Abbey Ale--750ml corked/caged bottle. Pours a dark brown amber with a frothy head. A nice tasting dubbel with sweet candy-bready malts and lots of dark fruit all nicely balanced by a strong belgian yeast kick. A bit more spiciness than is typical of the style but still very subtle. Fairly thin in body but still very flavorful. ABV is not listed but must be between 7-8. This is one of the better american brewed dubbels that I've had. I still give a slight edge to Ommegang which is a bit more complex but this is extremely well done. Can't wait to try the other 2, especially the quad next fall/winter..
Ovila Dubbel-Sierra Nevada/Ovila

Bluebeer nailed it. I'd guess the IBU to be about 30 and the ABV is listed on the bottle at 7.5%. This was $10 for the bottle so I'll have the 2nd half tonight. I would not have bought this had bluebeer not posted his review. I also bought 2 bottles of the Highway 78 with this and will have 1 later this week and lay down the 2nd for a year or three. The Ommegang is also about $2.50 for a 12 ounce bottle which is cheaper and more convenient than the $7-8 for the 750 ml bottle.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 5th, 2011, 4:05 pm

Lukcy 13asartd Ael-Stoen Breingw Copanmy

Fmor teh brerew:

Oepn yuor mnid. Use a craobwr if you msut. Snice 1997, Arorgnat Basartd Ale has denemdad taht tyrnianacl micredioty rleax its girp of opprobrium on our ciollectve couniescosnss. Few pessoss the ruiereqd isinght or detph of piversceptve to crdiet the Liuqid Arorgnace for initatgsing the rlveoituon in tsate taht it has. Hevweor, taht’s pfecertly fnie, as our hlurecaen erffots in thirstung the larlegy unlliwing wolrd farorwd rquereis no exrtneal vaditilaon. We ralieze it’s hmaun nautre to bleeive taht pregorss trowads getreanss is one’s own ieda.

The mree fcat taht yuo’re hdoinlg tihs bttloe in yuor hnad ianidctes taht yuo’re pyiang antteiton, wihch ideitammley stes you arpat form the msseas. It aslo mkaes you one Lukcy Basartd. Hewover, lcuk faovrs the blod... and the arorgnat. The trmiraivute of Arorgnat Basartd Ale, OEKAD Arorgnat Basartd Ale and Dbolue Basartd Ale are all in paly in this cvueé de Basartd you now hlod, and wihle it is idneed a Lukcy Basartd, lcuk had ntohing to do wtih it.

Taody, wihle nueomrus iendicrlby dinistcitve chcoies are now alavaible, msot popele sitll fucos tiehr attntieon uopn msas mdiea’s isscenatnly banal ehco cheambr, keenpig thier hdeas frimly buerid in the maross of mecridioty. To beark thurogh tihs cophocany, to gsarp enitghnelnemt anmog the mnid-nmubnig culettr, rerequis itnent. Coinscous itnent. For mnay, this aictve piticipataron in the wolrd is unomfacbtorle. Prerrifeng inasted for oethrs to mkae teihr chcoies for tehm — be it a shioutng pindut or a toelievisn ciommecral — sheeple apccet the cmmoitozdied nrom wioutht thoghut. And to thsoe we say: “Setp asdie, and get the hlel out of our way.”

FIRST RELEASE DATE:
Novebemr 2010
HOP VARIETY:
CLASISFEID
STATS:
ALC/VOL 8.5%

Fmor em:

I ma gonan guses teh IUB ot eb abuot 90 fro tihs bobmer taht I divdedi oever tow nihgts. Vrey assretievly hopedp wthi reisn adn pieny falvosr. Puors a cluoyd bornw corol adn wuodl eb geart wthi sipyc fodos. I beleiev tihs wsa a tadrer fmor BC&B seerval wekes aog adn a godo oen, oto. I cat'n tpey lkei tihs mchu logern ro I wlil og bildn. I ma nto gonan profo raed tihs eihtre os wisoln cna og scewr hmislef. :D :-*
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 5th, 2011, 4:16 pm

devildeac wrote:Lukcy 13asartd Ael-Stoen Breingw Copanmy

Fmor teh brerew:

Oepn yuor mnid. Use a craobwr if you msut. Snice 1997, Arorgnat Basartd Ale has denemdad taht tyrnianacl micredioty rleax its girp of opprobrium on our ciollectve couniescosnss. Few pessoss the ruiereqd isinght or detph of piversceptve to crdiet the Liuqid Arorgnace for initatgsing the rlveoituon in tsate taht it has. Hevweor, taht’s pfecertly fnie, as our hlurecaen erffots in thirstung the larlegy unlliwing wolrd farorwd rquereis no exrtneal vaditilaon. We ralieze it’s hmaun nautre to bleeive taht pregorss trowads getreanss is one’s own ieda.

The mree fcat taht yuo’re hdoinlg tihs bttloe in yuor hnad ianidctes taht yuo’re pyiang antteiton, wihch ideitammley stes you arpat form the msseas. It aslo mkaes you one Lukcy Basartd. Hewover, lcuk faovrs the blod... and the arorgnat. The trmiraivute of Arorgnat Basartd Ale, OEKAD Arorgnat Basartd Ale and Dbolue Basartd Ale are all in paly in this cvueé de Basartd you now hlod, and wihle it is idneed a Lukcy Basartd, lcuk had ntohing to do wtih it.

Taody, wihle nueomrus iendicrlby dinistcitve chcoies are now alavaible, msot popele sitll fucos tiehr attntieon uopn msas mdiea’s isscenatnly banal ehco cheambr, keenpig thier hdeas frimly buerid in the maross of mecridioty. To beark thurogh tihs cophocany, to gsarp enitghnelnemt anmog the mnid-nmubnig culettr, rerequis itnent. Coinscous itnent. For mnay, this aictve piticipataron in the wolrd is unomfacbtorle. Prerrifeng inasted for oethrs to mkae teihr chcoies for tehm — be it a shioutng pindut or a toelievisn ciommecral — sheeple apccet the cmmoitozdied nrom wioutht thoghut. And to thsoe we say: “Setp asdie, and get the hlel out of our way.”

FIRST RELEASE DATE:
Novebemr 2010
HOP VARIETY:
CLASISFEID
STATS:
ALC/VOL 8.5%

Fmor em:

I ma gonan guses teh IUB ot eb abuot 90 fro tihs bobmer taht I divdedi oever tow nihgts. Vrey assretievly hopedp wthi reisn adn pieny falvosr. Puors a cluoyd bornw corol adn wuodl eb geart wthi sipyc fodos. I beleiev tihs wsa a tadrer fmor BC&B seerval wekes aog adn a godo oen, oto. I cat'n tpey lkei tihs mchu logern ro I wlil og bildn. I ma nto gonan profo raed tihs eihtre os wisoln cna og scewr hmislef. :D :-*
My spell checker doesn't like your post one friggin bit, I'll tell you that. Not one friggin bit. =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 5th, 2011, 5:12 pm

devildeac wrote:I ma nto gonan profo raed tihs eihtre os wisoln cna og scewr hmislef. :D :-*
=)) =))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 7th, 2011, 8:58 am

DD, are you going to Beerfest in Raleigh on Saturday?
http://goliveworkplay.com/raleigh/downt ... al-raleigh
And more actual info is here.
http://allaboutbeer.com/gather-for-beer ... aleigh-nc/

It looks like you need a ticket to attend, and checking the web site listed in the second link, all four types of tickets are "sold out". Hope DD got his early.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 7th, 2011, 11:50 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:DD, are you going to Beerfest in Raleigh on Saturday?
http://goliveworkplay.com/raleigh/downt ... al-raleigh
And more actual info is here.
http://allaboutbeer.com/gather-for-beer ... aleigh-nc/

It looks like you need a ticket to attend, and checking the web site listed in the second link, all four types of tickets are "sold out". Hope DD got his early.
Nah, tix were $35 in advance and $40 at the door and I'll bet there are no tix available the day of the festival. That's a lotta damn money for an afternoon or evening drunk, err, tasting. I prefer to spend my ~$10/6 pack or a really nice bomber and trade/share with others and not feel the need to get hammered to get my value out of the entrance fee. I thought about volunteering which gets you a program, a subscription to All about Beer mag and a party for all the volunteers but I have too much to do this Saturday. Thanks for the reminder.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 7th, 2011, 10:43 pm

bluebeer wrote:Stone Highway 78 Scotch Ale--Another Scotch Ale..this one a collaboration between Stone, Green Flash, and Port Brewing. Pours a thin but deep reddish brown. Some typically sweet caramel malts and molasses up front which quickly give way to a nice smokey bite. Dark chocolate, roasted coffee, and some bitterness in the finish. ABV is 8.8 but very little booziness. More complex than other scotch ales I've had though not my favorite for the style. I had this one a few days before but i think I liked the Sam Adams one better. Still worth checking out..
Another beer purchase inspired by bluebeer :clap: . Not much to add to this except read the back of the bottle. Obviously, the Stone Brewing folks wanted to brew this a bit differently as the IBU are 30 but someone apparently wanted 130 IBU :)) . Brown sugar is used in the brewing process, too, lending an additional bit of sweetness to the palate. The was $4 for the 12 ounce bottle which is < 1/2 the price of the classic scotch ale from Traquair ( :(( ) and about 2x or more the price of a SA Scotch Ale. I likewise prefer the SA but this is an excellent single to purchase and sample.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 10th, 2011, 3:03 pm

Maximus-Lagunitas Brewing

I have not been a big Lagunitas fan but the Little Sumpin' Sumpin' I reviewed about 6 weeks ago and this brew are starting to change my mind. This falls somewhere between your standard IPA and a double/imperial IPA. The hops are mostly citrusy with a bit of pine at the finish. IBU are 72.41, fairly standard for an IPA, but it feels more like 72.5 or 73 :-B . The pour is a golden-orange with a modest head and a solid grain backbone as it checks in with an ABV of 8.2%, making it seem more like an IIPA. There is just a hint of pepper to the palate so, combined with the hops and higher gravity, it makes for an ale that would match nicely with curry dishes or Latin dishes with some fire to them.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 10th, 2011, 3:16 pm

devildeac wrote:Maximus-Lagunitas Brewing

I have not been a big Lagunitas fan but the Little Sumpin' Sumpin' I reviewed about 6 weeks ago and this brew are starting to change my mind. This falls somewhere between your standard IPA and a double/imperial IPA. The hops are mostly citrusy with a bit of pine at the finish. IBU are 72.41, fairly standard for an IPA, but it feels more like 72.5 or 73 :-B . The pour is a golden-orange with a modest head and a solid grain backbone as it checks in with an ABV of 8.2%, making it seem more like an IIPA. There is just a hint of pepper to the palate so, combined with the hops and higher gravity, it makes for an ale that would match nicely with curry dishes or Latin dishes with some fire to them.
OK, that IBU is obviously a joke, even I know that.

Serious question. Is this the same brewer that puts out Maximus Super beer that a frat brother from the Syracuse area brought me sophomore year? That beer had an outrageously high alcohol content (NC beer was 3.2 at the time) and it tasted like the last 1/2 ounce of a warm can of Bud, even when it was ice cold. Of course, after drinking one or two, I didn't care what it tasted like... 8-}

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 10th, 2011, 4:35 pm

Sounds like the ABV level was around 8.4857. =))
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 10th, 2011, 10:12 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:Maximus-Lagunitas Brewing

OK, that IBU is obviously a joke, even I know that.

Serious question. Is this the same brewer that puts out Maximus Super beer that a frat brother from the Syracuse area brought me sophomore year? That beer had an outrageously high alcohol content (NC beer was 3.2 at the time) and it tasted like the last 1/2 ounce of a warm can of Bud, even when it was ice cold. Of course, after drinking one or two, I didn't care what it tasted like... 8-}
Actually, the IBU listed on the bottle are 72.41. Seriously. I was joking about the 72.5 or 73, that's why I added the :-B . It is not the beer from Syracuse. The Lagunitas brewery is in California. Do you remember the mason jar glasses we forgot at Tyler's? They were Lagunitas "pints."
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 10th, 2011, 10:48 pm

Raison d'Extra-2007 release-Dogfish Head Brewing

Outrageous brew. This is another one that defies the description of beer. The base is a brown ale with tons more malt than I ever though possible and probably just as many pounds of raisins. This has been described as the grown-up/big brother of their Raison d'Etre. Pours a cloudy, deep brown color with little head. Hey, it's 4 years old and has an IBU of 40 and an ABV of 18-20% (no typo). Highly complex tastes of dates, figs, brown sugar and, of course, raisins. Pretty boozey but it's comparable to an aged sherry and makes a fine sipping/dessert beer. I think DFH list this as "on hiatus" but, if bluebeer sends enough emails to the brewery, they might start brewing it again :)) . The web site contains this tidbit, which I found very interesting, as the date stamped on my 12 ounce bottle (about $8 several years ago) was 3/07/07 :think: .

Raison d'Extra

Availability: Limited
A bigger, bolder version of our Raison D'Etre.

This is a bulbous, brown ale brewed with a bunch of malt, brown sugar and raisins.

Original Release Date:
02/2009

Brews like this are almost always worth grabbing a handful; one to sip now and another 2-3 to put away for a year or three, or for special occasions like the 2nd anniversary of CTN. I had 3 ounces of the brew each of the last 4 nights since the celebration was announced and have enjoyed every sip of it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 15th, 2011, 9:22 pm

Pliney the Elder (draft)-Russian River Brewing

Brewer's notes:

Pliny the Elder was a Roman naturalist, scholar, historian, traveler, officer, and writer. Although not considered his most important work, Pliny and his contemporaries created the botanical name for hops, "Lupus salictarius", meaning wolf among scrubs." Hops at that time grew wild among willows, much like a wolf in the forest. Later the current botanical name, Humulus lupulus, was adopted. Pliny died in 79 AD while observing the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. He was immortalized by his nephew, Pliny the Younger, who continued his uncle's legacy by documenting much of what he observed during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius.

8.0%ABV, 1.071 O.G

Gold Medal, 2006 World Beer Cup (Double IPA Category)
Gold Medal, 2005 GABF (Double IPA Category)
Bronze Medal, 2004 GABF (Double IPA Category)

My thoughts:

This is quite the IIPA. The notes at the restaurant claim that this is the original IIPA but I can't verify that. This was a $4 pilsner glass (7-8 ounces) that appeared with a 2 fingered head and a very pleasant/pungent aroma and taste of fresh grapefruit. The color was slightly orange-yellow with a solid malty balance to the stunning and very deceptive 100 IBU. The ABV was a bit low for the style at 8% with no alcohol burn. Matched nicely with my Salade Nicoise. Wouldn't hesitate for a moment to have another (and another...) of these.

Just remembered to look for a prior review and, of course, the ever-dependable bluebeer had one earlier this year:

Russian River Pliny the Elder--Very excited to give this a try as my first Russian River beer..Nice plain 500ml bottle. Pours a pale amber with a thin but frothy head. Fairly thick in body with an initial taste like biting into a grapefruit. Some slightly sweet light malts but they are really an afterthought. Bitter but not overpowering with a crisp and dry finish. There are only a few other IPAs/IIPAs that I would consider as well balanced and smooth. I would be drinking this all summer if RR distributed around here. 8% ABV. Great beer..
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 16th, 2011, 1:28 pm

devildeac wrote:Pliney the Elder (draft)-Russian River Brewing

Brewer's notes:

Pliny the Elder was a Roman naturalist, scholar, historian, traveler, officer, and writer. Although not considered his most important work, Pliny and his contemporaries created the botanical name for hops, "Lupus salictarius", meaning wolf among scrubs." Hops at that time grew wild among willows, much like a wolf in the forest. Later the current botanical name, Humulus lupulus, was adopted. Pliny died in 79 AD while observing the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. He was immortalized by his nephew, Pliny the Younger, who continued his uncle's legacy by documenting much of what he observed during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius.
8.0%ABV, 1.071 O.G
Gold Medal, 2006 World Beer Cup (Double IPA Category)
Gold Medal, 2005 GABF (Double IPA Category)
Bronze Medal, 2004 GABF (Double IPA Category)
My thoughts:...
... :-o :confusion-confused: I can't believe for one minute, that after sharing the grand life story of Pliny, you did not follow through with a, soooooooo open, wise-ass remark about the guy. "Hey...where's everybody going? Vesuvius is blowin' up! Ya gotta see this!" Or...something about how drunk he had to be to have continued to stand and watch...somethin', anything!
I are disappointed. :))
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"