LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » February 1st, 2011, 5:39 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I had a great morning in court. I tried a most unusual case and I won. Two attorneys have called me since then to compliment me and to discuss strategy. This will be good when I face them on the other side of cases down the road.

I didn't charge the client enough $$, however. Drafting the Order has sucked up most of the rest of my day.
Good job! Was this the annulment you mentioned?

Drafting the order is always the sucky part of winning, or writing the brief on appeal. But it beats losing!
Yes, this was the annulment. And as you know, they are not favored.

Having professional colleagues witness the win, and their subsequent telephone calls was a bonus. You might call them "reputation points."
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 1st, 2011, 5:40 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Sure hope our electricity doesn't go out because of the ice storm. I can't figure out how to get my gas logs to light. :-ss
Call your gas company. They will be glad to help you do it safely, at least over the telephone from a safe distance... ;) Seriously, they'll help you.
Thanks Ozzie! That's a great idea. I'm afraid the gas to the fireplace is turned off, if the valve at the back of my fireplace is what I think it is. I couldn't turn the darn thing.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » February 1st, 2011, 5:40 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Having professional colleagues witness the win, and their subsequent telephone calls was a bonus. You might call them "reputation points."
Tell them you want little pitchforks. :D

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 1st, 2011, 5:51 pm

CathyCA wrote:Having professional colleagues witness the win, and their subsequent telephone calls was a bonus. You might call them "reputation points."
Congrats, Cathy! Sounds like a red-letter day for you. Glad you won your case, and that you had the added bonus of doing so in front of duly impressed colleagues. Treat yourself to something nice tonight. :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymhug: :happy-bouncyblue:
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » February 1st, 2011, 7:33 pm

Everything went well and will be finalized Thursday afternoon.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 1st, 2011, 8:14 pm

bjornolf wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

@};-
Hmm. . . these guys might be more inclined to give me little ink-stamped feet.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 1st, 2011, 8:15 pm

wilson wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Having professional colleagues witness the win, and their subsequent telephone calls was a bonus. You might call them "reputation points."
Congrats, Cathy! Sounds like a red-letter day for you. Glad you won your case, and that you had the added bonus of doing so in front of duly impressed colleagues. Treat yourself to something nice tonight. :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymhug: :happy-bouncyblue:
Thank you. I lit a few candles, I'm having a glass of Pinot Grigio, and I'm going to pay my bills! Woo-hoo!

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 1st, 2011, 8:16 pm

captmojo wrote:Everything went well and will be finalized Thursday afternoon.
Wow! That is fast! I'm impressed.

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 1st, 2011, 8:17 pm

bjornolf wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

@};-
:)) That's perfect.
Congrats on your pitchforks Cathy!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » February 1st, 2011, 8:27 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Except for the end of the meeting. :ymblushing:
After my telling the guy that Mom was of sound mind...just before leaving, she goes into telling this long story about the neighbors that time travels back to to 1948, all about how that family next door has been slowly encroaching over onto her property, taking it over bit by bit. She has had 4 surveys performed of the place, with the results amongst them turning out all the same, over the last 10 years. She, by God, bought 3 50ft lots and...well, of course she still has 3 50ft adjoining lots. Thank God she's old and the neighbors turn away from defamation. #:-s
:)) :twitch:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 1st, 2011, 9:02 pm

CathyCA wrote:I had a great morning in court. I tried a most unusual case and I won. Two attorneys have called me since then to compliment me and to discuss strategy. This will be good when I face them on the other side of cases down the road.

I didn't charge the client enough $$, however. Drafting the Order has sucked up most of the rest of my day.
Congratulations Cathy. :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 1st, 2011, 9:03 pm

captmojo wrote:Everything went well and will be finalized Thursday afternoon.
I'm sure your glad it's done. You must be a great son.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » February 1st, 2011, 9:12 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:You must be a great son.
I've been accused. :ymblushing:
Hell, all I did was drive and be humbly receiving. :twitch:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 1st, 2011, 10:08 pm

I watched about 5 minutes of the unc/BC game. unc was winning. I stopped watching. :duke:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 1st, 2011, 10:18 pm

captmojo wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Except for the end of the meeting. :ymblushing:
After my telling the guy that Mom was of sound mind...just before leaving, she goes into telling this long story about the neighbors that time travels back to to 1948, all about how that family next door has been slowly encroaching over onto her property, taking it over bit by bit. She has had 4 surveys performed of the place, with the results amongst them turning out all the same, over the last 10 years. She, by God, bought 3 50ft lots and...well, of course she still has 3 50ft adjoining lots. Thank God she's old and the neighbors turn away from defamation. #:-s
:)) :twitch:
Oh well. The four surveys bolster her position, do they not? No one is going to adversely possess any of your mom's property, by golly!

It's okay. She's protecting her interests. . .

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 1st, 2011, 10:19 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:

Congratulations Cathy. :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Thank you. I'll collect my congratulatory hug on Saturday night.

~ James Naismith
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » February 1st, 2011, 11:27 pm

Looks like Little DA-to-Be may possibly be helping me to a bit of gestational diabetes (in addition to anemia). :( Had to do a glucose monitoring test involving fasting until 8:30am blood draw, drinking some nastily-sweet stuff called Glucola, then three more blood draws, once every hour. I wasn't able to get real food or drink until nearly 1PM. Who knew that messing with your blood sugar for half the day could make you feel like crap the rest of the day?

Results come back tomorrow - fingers crossed that this turns out to just be a warning to stay on top of things (diet, blood sugar, exercise) a little better, and that the wee one is still doing fine.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 1st, 2011, 11:33 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:Looks like Little DA-to-Be may possibly be helping me to a bit of gestational diabetes (in addition to anemia). :( Had to do a glucose monitoring test involving fasting until 8:30am blood draw, drinking some nastily-sweet stuff called Glucola, then three more blood draws, once every hour. I wasn't able to get real food or drink until nearly 1PM. Who knew that messing with your blood sugar for half the day could make you feel like crap the rest of the day?

Results come back tomorrow - fingers crossed that this turns out to just be a warning to stay on top of things (diet, blood sugar, exercise) a little better, and that the wee one is still doing fine.
DA, I had gestational diabetes with both of my babies. The first one went apparently untreated (baby was born at 42 weeks, weighing 9 lbs, 11 oz.), the second one we treated with diet and exercise (and an induced birth at 38 weeks weighing, 8 lbs.). I hope that you and your baby will be okay, and that you won't need to go on that stupid diabetes diet.

If you need encouragement or reassurance that everything is going to be all right with your pregnancy, then I and my two precious sons are living proof. Everything is going to be all right.

Love, hugs and prayers to you and your sweet baby. . .

~ James Naismith
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » February 1st, 2011, 11:40 pm

CathyCA wrote:DA, I had gestational diabetes with both of my babies. The first one went apparently untreated (baby was born at 42 weeks, weighing 9 lbs, 11 oz.), the second one we treated with diet and exercise (and an induced birth at 38 weeks weighing, 8 lbs.). I hope that you and your baby will be okay, and that you won't need to go on that stupid diabetes diet.

If you need encouragement or reassurance that everything is going to be all right with your pregnancy, then I and my two precious sons are living proof. Everything is going to be all right.

Love, hugs and prayers to you and your sweet baby. . .
Thanks, Cathy -- that *is* reassuring. Your boys seem like fabulous, healthy young men, and you seem to be doing just fine as well. (Congrats on your success in court!)
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » February 2nd, 2011, 7:53 am

They gave my wife that test with all three kids. Luckily, she didn't have the diabetes, but boy did she not enjoy the test. :D Good luck that everything's okay with you and your :happy-bouncymulticolor: .

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage