LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by ArkieDukie » January 9th, 2011, 12:05 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Dilemma of the day: someone that I didn't particularly like in college (in fact, he was not very nice to me) asked me to friend him on FB. I really want to say no. Does that make me an awful person?

Some background: this particular person was a fellow chemistry major and didn't speak to me at all until our junior year, when I started performing well academically. The real highlight: I received the award for the top chemistry student going to grad school. After the awards convocation, he congratulated me and told me that it was nice of the chemistry faculty to create an award for me, since they couldn't give me Departmental Distinction or the award for the top student academically (he received both). When I explained what the award was and named past winners, the response was, "Oh, then they couldn't give it to me since I'm going to medical school." Fortunately I didn't give him the satisfaction of seeing how much he had upset me. Can't stand the guy to this day.
AD, you can just ignore the request, and by that I mean just ignore it like you haven't seen it. It'll stay there for a while, maybe forever as a request and he'll probably forget he sent it. He can't resend it cause it's still sitting there unanswered. No harm, no foul. I've got one sitting like that for over a year. :D
I think this is probably the best option, Ozzie. I may eventually decide to friend him. Can't see it happening right now, but you never know.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 9th, 2011, 12:08 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: Then you didn't have too much pastrami yesterday! What gave you the upset tummy? Has it gone away yet? Are you feeling any better? :ymhug:
Taking antibiotics will often give me an upset tummy. Fortunately the Ginger Altoids worked their magic and I'm feeling better.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 9th, 2011, 12:18 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: Then you didn't have too much pastrami yesterday! What gave you the upset tummy? Has it gone away yet? Are you feeling any better? :ymhug:
Taking antibiotics will often give me an upset tummy. Fortunately the Ginger Altoids worked their magic and I'm feeling better.
Super duper! :happy-bouncyblue: Ooh. Maybe that's the wrong smilie to use when you've got an upset tummy...
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 9th, 2011, 12:21 pm

I'm on a massive de-cluttering mission. I'm still buried in junk from Jen and the kids, and tons of my own stuff that I have no idea why I hold onto it. I can now see the floor of my bedroom. Unfortunately, I can no longer see my bed.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 9th, 2011, 12:25 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm on a massive de-cluttering mission. I'm still buried in junk from Jen and the kids, and tons of my own stuff that I have no idea why I hold onto it. I can now see the floor of my bedroom. Unfortunately, I can no longer see my bed.
I'm trying to do the same thing in my office. I started in mid December. Made progress for one afternoon, then got distracted, but that helped. I haven't seen the top of my desk for 3 years. I used to say I knew where everything on it was. I no longer can say that. But I still find stuff when I need it. Probably because it's near the top, or on the other chair, or on the computer desk, or on the top of the other printer, or......
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 9th, 2011, 12:26 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Super duper! :happy-bouncyblue: Ooh. Maybe that's the wrong smilie to use when you've got an upset tummy...
Beats the heck out of :ymsick:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 9th, 2011, 12:27 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm on a massive de-cluttering mission. I'm still buried in junk from Jen and the kids, and tons of my own stuff that I have no idea why I hold onto it. I can now see the floor of my bedroom. Unfortunately, I can no longer see my bed.
I'm trying to do the same thing in my office. I started in mid December. Made progress for one afternoon, then got distracted, but that helped. I haven't seen the top of my desk for 3 years. I used to say I knew where everything on it was. I no longer can say that. But I still find stuff when I need it. Probably because it's near the top, or on the other chair, or on the computer desk, or on the top of the other printer, or......
Sounds like my desk at work. :ymblushing:
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 9th, 2011, 12:29 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Yeah..that sounds like me. This is not a one day project, but will actually take me a few days of boxing, deciding what to toss, what to take to goodwill, or to put in storage.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 9th, 2011, 12:49 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I have pastrami sandwiches on occasion. Kohn's Deli has sandwiches available in our cafeteria, especially around Jewish holidays. Since the fare from Kohn's tends to be superior to anything that the cafeteria has to offer, I will ignore the extra expense and indulge.
Kohn's has some mighty fine knishes too!!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 9th, 2011, 12:55 pm

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I have pastrami sandwiches on occasion. Kohn's Deli has sandwiches available in our cafeteria, especially around Jewish holidays. Since the fare from Kohn's tends to be superior to anything that the cafeteria has to offer, I will ignore the extra expense and indulge.
Kohn's has some mighty fine knishes too!!
Unfortunately there are not knishes in the offerings at the cafeteria - only deli sandwiches with a dill pickle and some sort of side salad. There are a variety of combos; I tend to go with pastrami on rye and whatever side salad looks appealing.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 9th, 2011, 1:13 pm

I think it's okay to ignore a FB friend request.

But sometimes it's okay to accept the person as a friend and then watch what he or she is posting.

You can always defriend later if the FB friendship thing doesn't work out. Or "hide" them on FB or "block" their posts. Or ignore their posts.

And sometimes, people grow up and it's nice to become friends with their newer, improved selves.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 9th, 2011, 1:21 pm

I heard from a little birdie this morning that Rolvix had AWESOME first semester grades at Duke.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 9th, 2011, 1:29 pm

CathyCA wrote:I think it's okay to ignore a FB friend request.

But sometimes it's okay to accept the person as a friend and then watch what he or she is posting.

You can always defriend later if the FB friendship thing doesn't work out. Or "hide" them on FB or "block" their posts. Or ignore their posts.

And sometimes, people grow up and it's nice to become friends with their newer, improved selves.
I agree, but I wouldn't accept a friend request from someone who blatantly wasn't my friend. I have some old classmates on my friend list that I never knew too well, but I didn't have anything against them. I think if there was friction there before it makes little sense to add them. Some of those people from school that I didn't know well earlier, I'm actually better friends with now because of FB. But if I get a request from someone who was a jackass back then, they'll always be a jackass in my book and I try my best to avoid those folks.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 9th, 2011, 2:15 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Dilemma of the day: someone that I didn't particularly like in college (in fact, he was not very nice to me) asked me to friend him on FB. I really want to say no. Does that make me an awful person?

Some background: this particular person was a fellow chemistry major and didn't speak to me at all until our junior year, when I started performing well academically. The real highlight: I received the award for the top chemistry student going to grad school. After the awards convocation, he congratulated me and told me that it was nice of the chemistry faculty to create an award for me, since they couldn't give me Departmental Distinction or the award for the top student academically (he received both). When I explained what the award was and named past winners, the response was, "Oh, then they couldn't give it to me since I'm going to medical school." Fortunately I didn't give him the satisfaction of seeing how much he had upset me. Can't stand the guy to this day.
The correct answer to both is no. You do not need/have to friend him and you are not a bad person.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 9th, 2011, 2:17 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

The smart thing would be to simply ignore the request. The fun thing to do would be take his request, post "Fuck You" on his wall, then defriend him. =))
I'm not a FB member/participant but the 2nd suggestion is pretty damn funny, too.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 9th, 2011, 3:12 pm

The smart thing would be to simply ignore the request. The fun thing to do would be take his request, post "Fuck You" on his wall, then defriend him. =))
What CB&B said.
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 9th, 2011, 3:38 pm

devildeac wrote:

I'm not a FB member/participant but the 2nd suggestion is pretty damn funny, too.
Me either...and :)) , but I wouldn't do it.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
captmojo

Post by captmojo » January 9th, 2011, 3:40 pm

CathyCA wrote:
I refuse to. :happy-bouncyblue:
captmojo

Post by captmojo » January 9th, 2011, 3:43 pm

I've consumed a lot of feast over the holidays. That, plus what I've been carrying around for a while, has caused me to be in a condition where as I can no longer see my... :ymblushing: :twitch:

That's a lie! A dastardly falsehood! :D
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 9th, 2011, 4:02 pm

captmojo wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
I refuse to. :happy-bouncyblue:
Refuse to grow up, or refuse to become friends with newer, improved selves?
Iron Duke #1471997.