The Political Junkie Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 8th, 2021, 10:55 am

Another GOP Senate member announces that he will not be seeking re-election. Roy Blunt says he's done. While there isn't a snowball's chance that the seat will flip since it is Missouri, it will be interesting to follow the race and see who takes it. Will it be a Republican of the last two decades, or will it be a Trumpist? I can imagine that both sides will be represented in the primary.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/08/politics ... index.html
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 8th, 2021, 11:24 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 10:55 am
Another GOP Senate member announces that he will not be seeking re-election. Roy Blunt says he's done. While there isn't a snowball's chance that the seat will flip since it is Missouri, it will be interesting to follow the race and see who takes it. Will it be a Republican of the last two decades, or will it be a Trumpist? I can imagine that both sides will be represented in the primary.

It would be truly amazing if Missouri goes from having Claire McCaskill representing it to having two right wing nut jobs as Senators within four years (since they already have one in Hawley). Blunt is definitely not a moderate but he is not a hard core Trumper either. Doing a quick google search, I see that Eric Greitens, who is up there with Stephen MIller on the Duke Alum Hall of Shame, is considering a run.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 8th, 2021, 12:30 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 11:24 am

It would be truly amazing if Missouri goes from having Claire McCaskill representing it to having two right wing nut jobs as Senators within four years (since they already have one in Hawley). Blunt is definitely not a moderate but he is not a hard core Trumper either. Doing a quick google search, I see that Eric Greitens, who is up there with Stephen MIller on the Duke Alum Hall of Shame, is considering a run.
Wow, that's so true, I totally lunched on McCaskill! So who knows, maybe it does flip.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 8th, 2021, 2:37 pm

March 8th, 2021, 12:30 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 11:24 am

Wow, that's so true, I totally lunched on McCaskill! So who knows, maybe it does flip.
In December and January I was watching a ton of MSNBC and McCaskill was on constantly so she is fresh in my brain - I like MSNBC but it seems like they constantly talk to the same 10-15 "experts" (I think McCaskill is actually on their payroll).

Unfortunately, I think Missouri is now pretty hard core Republican so I don't see it flipping. And also unfortunately, it seems like these days the more moderate Republicans and the Trump Republicans, despite theoretically having pretty different views of things, vote the same 98% of the time, so though I would hope that a more moderate candidate wins on the Republican side, it ultimately doesn't matter much.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 8th, 2021, 4:09 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 2:37 pm
In December and January I was watching a ton of MSNBC and McCaskill was on constantly so she is fresh in my brain - I like MSNBC but it seems like they constantly talk to the same 10-15 "experts" (I think McCaskill is actually on their payroll).
Yep, she's a paid contributor. They need someone to pay to namedrop all of her senate friends that still have jobs.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 8th, 2021, 6:41 pm

Missourian here. The urban areas are Democratic, the rural areas are Republican. It might just come down to voter turnout. Hopefully Greitens won’t be a contender. If we are going to get stuck with a Republican, I would just as soon not have another tRump cultist. Unfortunately, that’s what we are likely destined for.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
dudog

Post by dudog » March 10th, 2021, 7:38 pm

More evidence in Georgia. Interesting the the WSJ is the first to report this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

How can they not put his ass in jail?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 10th, 2021, 8:45 pm

dudog wrote:
March 10th, 2021, 7:38 pm

He also reportedly suggested that she look at Fulton County, Georgia's most populous county, which encompasses most of Atlanta and voted for Biden, even though she was tasked with focusing on Cobb County.

"If you can get to Fulton, you are going to find things that are going to be unbelievable," he said.
Jebus

(PS, he was right. "Unbelievable"...only factual thing he said.)
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 10th, 2021, 10:59 pm

March 10th, 2021, 8:45 pm
dudog wrote:
March 10th, 2021, 7:38 pm

He also reportedly suggested that she look at Fulton County, Georgia's most populous county, which encompasses most of Atlanta and voted for Biden, even though she was tasked with focusing on Cobb County.

"If you can get to Fulton, you are going to find things that are going to be unbelievable," he said.
Jebus

(PS, he was right. "Unbelievable"...only factual thing he said.)
I've tried to block a lot of this out of my mind over the past few months, but I forget - all of these made up stories that he is so convinced of - is he making them up himself or are people whispering them in his ear, or some combination of the two? It is amazing that one human being can so strongly believe in things that are just totally not true. And then on top of that, convince tens of millions of people of these facts. Who is the source of all of this?

On a related note, I am all for due process and I want them to make sure they do these investigations properly so he doesn't get off on a mistake or loop hole, but I really wish they would pick up the pace and, to quote a wise American, "put his ass in jail" (see above).
dudog

Post by dudog » March 11th, 2021, 7:29 pm

I love Tammy Duckworth.

"F*ck Tucker Carlson"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/f- ... li=BBnb7Kz
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 11th, 2021, 10:54 pm

dudog wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 7:29 pm
I love Tammy Duckworth.

"F*ck Tucker Carlson"

Fox News is such a bunch of clowns. Trump had four years in office and did absolutely nothing (which in some ways is a good things). Now they are just taking pot shots at Biden from the cheap seats. And as always, millions of Americans assume that it is all correct. Some of the billionaire Democrats should do a multi-day buyout of Fox News and just program it with true information to start the detox program for its viewers. It feels like the Cold War all over again except we are allegedly on the same side.

Biden's speech tonight was such a nice return to normalcy. Yes, he took a few shots at Trump, but it was a nice reminder of what presidential speeches are supposed to be like. If anything, he went on a bit too long, but I'll take it.
dudog

Post by dudog » March 12th, 2021, 8:12 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 10:54 pm
dudog wrote:
I love Tammy Duckworth.

"F*ck Tucker Carlson"

Fox News is such a bunch of clowns. Trump had four years in office and did absolutely nothing (which in some ways is a good things). Now they are just taking pot shots at Biden from the cheap seats. And as always, millions of Americans assume that it is all correct. Some of the billionaire Democrats should do a multi-day buyout of Fox News and just program it with true information to start the detox program for its viewers. It feels like the Cold War all over again except we are allegedly on the same side.

Biden's speech tonight was such a nice return to normalcy. Yes, he took a few shots at Trump, but it was a nice reminder of what presidential speeches are supposed to be like. If anything, he went on a bit too long, but I'll take it.
I texted a couple of friends "Now THERE'S a President!". They texted back that they were thinking the same thing. It's so damn obvious.

Re Fox, this was their take on the speech: "Garbage speech full of lies from a senile person"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnbfcL

Re the millions of Americans who assume it's all correct...it's because they are racists and misogynists to begin with. They don't need to be convinced of anything.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » March 12th, 2021, 5:10 pm

dudog wrote:
I love Tammy Duckworth.

"F*ck Tucker Carlson"

I loved the military's response as reported in the article:
Business Insider wrote: "We still have a lot of work to do to make our military more inclusive," the department's spokesperson told reporters. "What we absolutely won't do is take personnel advice from a talk-show host or the Chinese military."
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 12th, 2021, 5:11 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
March 12th, 2021, 5:10 pm
Business Insider wrote: "We still have a lot of work to do to make our military more inclusive," the department's spokesperson told reporters. "What we absolutely won't do is take personnel advice from a talk-show host or the Chinese military."
=)) =)) :ymapplause:
dudog

Post by dudog » March 13th, 2021, 12:07 pm

This is a GREAT piece. The first paragraph lets you know what you're in for:
The American presidency offers numerous opportunities for a chief executive to make use of his symbolic role as head of state in a way that advances the national interest while simultaneously benefiting his own political standing. Donald Trump usually forfeited these opportunities, either because he was unable to pretend to care about people who didn’t vote for him or because he couldn’t adapt his free-form insult-comic rants to a teleprompter format.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... li=BBnb7Kz
dudog

Post by dudog » March 15th, 2021, 8:39 am

Phredd3 wrote:
March 12th, 2021, 5:10 pm
dudog wrote:
I love Tammy Duckworth.

"F*ck Tucker Carlson"

Unsurprisingly, Ted "I never spent a day in the military" Cruz supports Tucker.

dudog

Post by dudog » March 19th, 2021, 1:39 pm

Didn't stop their daddy.

Mary Trump Scoffs at Idea Ex-President's Children Will Run for Office: 'They Have No Skills'

"He's not going to run," she told Politico. "He's going to pretend to run and keep grifting where he can off the people who will support him."
That's what I tell everyone. Grifters gonna grift.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 19th, 2021, 3:17 pm

dudog wrote:
March 19th, 2021, 1:39 pm
Didn't stop their daddy.

Mary Trump Scoffs at Idea Ex-President's Children Will Run for Office: 'They Have No Skills'

"He's not going to run," she told Politico. "He's going to pretend to run and keep grifting where he can off the people who will support him."
Yup. There were parts of being president he loved, but there were many parts he hated. He tried to avoid those the best he could but there was only so much he could do. As much as I'm sure he tried, poor guy probably couldn't sneak any of his mistresses into the White House, even if he sent Melania away for the weekend (and Melania was sleeping in another room when she was there) - perhaps his constant rage was pent up sexual energy? Meanwhile, now he can largely do what he wants, make a fortune off the situation (can't believe there are still people dumb enough to give him their money), and still have people act like he knows everything.
dudog

Post by dudog » March 19th, 2021, 3:22 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
March 19th, 2021, 3:17 pm
dudog wrote:
Didn't stop their daddy.

Yup. There were parts of being president he loved, but there were many parts he hated. He tried to avoid those the best he could but there was only so much he could do. As much as I'm sure he tried, poor guy probably couldn't sneak any of his mistresses into the White House, even if he sent Melania away for the weekend (and Melania was sleeping in another room when she was there) - perhaps his constant rage was pent up sexual energy? Meanwhile, now he can largely do what he wants, make a fortune off the situation (can't believe there are still people dumb enough to give him their money), and still have people act like he knows everything.
You mean the work?
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 19th, 2021, 3:29 pm

dudog wrote:
March 19th, 2021, 3:22 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
March 19th, 2021, 3:17 pm
dudog wrote:
Didn't stop their daddy.

You mean the work?
LOL. The work. Visiting the graves of the people he thought were losers who died for our country. Interacting with Democrats. Interacting with non-white anglo-saxon protestants. Having to pretend he was reading briefings.