Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 11th, 2009, 4:57 pm

Well, no luck at the Harris Teeter for the Longshot, but I did get a Michelob sampler I hadn't seen before. It's a wheat sampler, containing 3 each of Honey Wheat, Dunkel Weiss, Shocktop, and Hop Hound Amber Wheat. I've had the Shocktop, not bad but not great, pretty much what I would expect from a large commercial brewery. I'm now trying the Honey Wheat, and it surpringsly very enjoyable. My biggest beef with commercial ales is lack of body, and this one is no different, but it does have plenty of flavor. Golden color, very clear for a wheat, nice white foamy head. The honey is prominent, and that's good. Michelob also does a good job with their Honey Lager, which is why I tried it first. I figured they got one right in the honey dept, so they had a good shot here too. Good stuff, I'd buy it in a 6 pack if I see it again.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » May 11th, 2009, 10:34 pm

A couple of quick hits which I'll recommend, but can't provide details as I was being social and not fully appreciating the beer. I went to the Rockies-Marlins game yesterday and stopped at the Falling Rock Tap House (60+ on tap; 80+ in bottle and usually something from the cask) before the game for a burger and a few beers. I ordered two beers that I've had plenty of in the past, but wanted to drink again--and there was a theme. Russian River Damnation Belgian Golden and Blind Pig IPA. Both are top-notch American brews that you should try if you see them.

Tonight, during the Nuggets game, I'm having Great Divide Belgica. This is labeled as a Belgian Style IPA and that name fits the beer. I'd describe it as a Belgian wit (lemon zest and a nice bit of spiciness, especially coriander) that has the piney bite and crispness of an American IPA. Interesting beer that I'd drink again. Would be good with some summer grilled fare--sausages, mild fish.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » May 12th, 2009, 10:19 am

catching up on a few reviews...

Oskar Blues Gordon--What a smooth double IPA...I was a little nervous about tasting the can but no hint of metal at all. Lots of citrusy hops but not overwhelmingly bitter. There is just the right amount of sweet malt for balance without washing out the hops. I found it to be a little thinner than other DIPA but not necessarily in a bad way. This is an incredibly easy drinking beer for nearly 9%. It drinks like a lawn mower brew though I wouldn't want to operating anything mechanical after a few of these...

Mikkeller Bad Worse Barleywine--I've seen a lot of Mikkeller in a few of my local stores and pulled the trigger on the barleywine given it's my favorite style. 12 oz corked bottle..pours dark amber..This seemed a little thin as well compared to other barleywines. There was a fair amount of malt up front with a lot of bitter hoppiness in the finish. Not as bitter as some other barleywines but also definitely hoppier than others. A bit boozy at 12%. Definitely a sipper...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 12th, 2009, 11:28 am

[quote="bluebear"]
Mikkeller Bad Worse Barleywinequote]
I LOVE the name. LOL! :))
Woohooo, 500!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 13th, 2009, 10:33 pm

Breckenridge Pandora's Bock--I may have reviewed this before, but I don't believe so (bought this 6er when I was on exile from DBR and before this board was started). This is my last bottle and it's a seasonal, so no more for the rest of the year. Very sweet on the nose with heavy notes of caramel, butter, brown sugar and just a bit of bubblegum. The flavor follows suit with a very rich sweetness. At 7.5% it's not a beer to session. I had this tonight with a beautiful ribeye (done Pittsburgh rare) with a white pepper steak sauce and some grilled corn. It was the perfect pairing. The richness of the steak was a good compliment and the earthy pungentness of the white pepper sauce was a good contrast.

On a semi-related note, DD, I picked up another bottle for a potential ski vacation winter trade. It's Ft. Collins Brewing Co.'s Barrel Licked Bock. It's an oak aged, smoked bock. The beer has been cellared for a year before sitting in oak barrels for an additional two months. I bought three bottles--two for me :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 13th, 2009, 11:25 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Breckenridge Pandora's Bock--I may have reviewed this before, but I don't believe so (bought this 6er when I was on exile from DBR and before this board was started). This is my last bottle and it's a seasonal, so no more for the rest of the year. Very sweet on the nose with heavy notes of caramel, butter, brown sugar and just a bit of bubblegum. The flavor follows suit with a very rich sweetness. At 7.5% it's not a beer to session. I had this tonight with a beautiful ribeye (done Pittsburgh rare) with a white pepper steak sauce and some grilled corn. It was the perfect pairing. The richness of the steak was a good compliment and the earthy pungentness of the white pepper sauce was a good contrast.

On a semi-related note, DD, I picked up another bottle for a potential ski vacation winter trade. It's Ft. Collins Brewing Co.'s Barrel Licked Bock. It's an oak aged, smoked bock. The beer has been cellared for a year before sitting in oak barrels for an additional two months. I bought three bottles--two for me :D
It's amazing what folks can buy regionally that does not get distributed nationally. The Breck stuff is good but we only see the amber, 417 (or is it 471?) and the Vanilla Porter on a regular basis. The bock sounds delicious.

The Ft Collins sounds great, too. I'd keep 2 for myself, too. Kinda like the Brooklyn or Allagash specialties you might not see out in Colorado.

Exile from DBR? Was it self-imposed or moderator dictated if you don't mind me asking?
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 14th, 2009, 12:03 am

devildeac wrote:
It's amazing what folks can buy regionally that does not get distributed nationally. The Breck stuff is good but we only see the amber, 417 (or is it 471?) and the Vanilla Porter on a regular basis. The bock sounds delicious.

The Ft Collins sounds great, too. I'd keep 2 for myself, too. Kinda like the Brooklyn or Allagash specialties you might not see out in Colorado.

Exile from DBR? Was it self-imposed or moderator dictated if you don't mind me asking?
All the Breck beers you get are very good, and the 471 is their best offering, IMO. I also really like the Christmas Ale. I don't see the great Brooklyn beers you all describe on here. The good part about living here is that we have such a large number of wonderful breweries. The bad part is that sometimes other regions get neglected. Being from Ohio, I miss Great Lakes offerings more than anything else.

Perhaps "exile" was the wrong choice of words. It was a choice to leave because a particular mod made it clear to me that he didn't welcome me (I think I said something about Tim Tebow once that put me on his shit list). To be fair, his points were well taken. My last post was in the "Time to Clean Up" thread. I followed that with a PM to the particular mod so as to not make it public and have not signed on to DBR since. With that said, I'm grateful for Chris setting up this board as it has just about everyone from the DBR who I enjoy reading (I'd like mph and UVaA, two of the smartest DBR posters, to join..hint, hint).
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 14th, 2009, 8:16 am

rockymtn devil wrote:
devildeac wrote:

All the Breck beers you get are very good, and the 471 is their best offering, IMO. I also really like the Christmas Ale. I don't see the great Brooklyn beers you all describe on here. The good part about living here is that we have such a large number of wonderful breweries. The bad part is that sometimes other regions get neglected. Being from Ohio, I miss Great Lakes offerings more than anything else.

Perhaps "exile" was the wrong choice of words. It was a choice to leave because a particular mod made it clear to me that he didn't welcome me (I think I said something about Tim Tebow once that put me on his shit list). To be fair, his points were well taken. My last post was in the "Time to Clean Up" thread. I followed that with a PM to the particular mod so as to not make it public and have not signed on to DBR since. With that said, I'm grateful for Chris setting up this board as it has just about everyone from the DBR who I enjoy reading (I'd like mph and UVaA, two of the smartest DBR posters, to join..hint, hint).
Ya want 'em here, invite 'em! Seriously. I was notified/invited by Tilly and I have since invited about 1/2 dozen folks, almost all of whom have joined.

ANNNDDD, just to get this back on the proper subject, I've got a Longshot (Sam Adams) Double IPA and a several centuries old (just kidding) World Wide Stout to review tonight. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 14th, 2009, 8:20 am

devildeac wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:
devildeac wrote:

Ya want 'em here, invite 'em! Seriously. I was notified/invited by Tilly and I have since invited about 1/2 dozen folks, almost all of whom have joined.

ANNNDDD, just to get this back on the proper subject, I've got a Longshot (Sam Adams) Double IPA and a several centuries old (just kidding) World Wide Stout to review tonight. :D
Hey mod/administrator/Coach K/CB&B-I hit the submit key too damn many times and double posted-feel free to delete one of those replies to rmd. Sorry. I like to PW and pad those counts but at least do it in the accepted/traditional fashion and not by double posting. :oops:
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » May 14th, 2009, 8:38 am

Ballast Point Sculpin IPA---This could be the best single IPA I've had..It's a bit hefty at 7% for a single but still probably shy on an imperial. Pours dark straw with a decent size head..Pure smooth hops with lots of citrus and pine. There is a hint of malt for balance but the hops clearly dominate as expected. Far less bitter than other similar brews making it incredibly smooth to drink. If you like hops and IPAs, it's a must try..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 14th, 2009, 10:02 pm

bluebear wrote:Ballast Point Sculpin IPA---This could be the best single IPA I've had..It's a bit hefty at 7% for a single but still probably shy on an imperial. Pours dark straw with a decent size head..Pure smooth hops with lots of citrus and pine. There is a hint of malt for balance but the hops clearly dominate as expected. Far less bitter than other similar brews making it incredibly smooth to drink. If you like hops and IPAs, it's a must try..
Wow. You find some pretty unique and interesting brews to review. Love reading about them.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 14th, 2009, 10:10 pm

Sam Adams Longshot Double IPA-As one might expect, this is an Imperial IPA, or IIPA and well done, though I'd rather have a DFH 90 Minute. There are 7 different hops and 6 pounds of hops per barrel according to the label. Most of the gamut of tastes and aromas are encompassed here with a bit of grapefruitiness and lots of pine/spruce notes. The hop attack is reasonable balanced with the malts but this is an pre-meditated assault on your taste buds to an estimated 80-90 IBU, which is a good thing. Golden-amber color with a reasonable head which persists nicely and it is slightly cloudy. ABV is 9% but not boozey. This is really a good way to market beer as there are 2 Wits, 2 Bocks and 2 of these in the 6er for about $8. Most IIPA are about $2 each, or more.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 14th, 2009, 10:11 pm

bluebear wrote:Ballast Point Sculpin IPA---This could be the best single IPA I've had..It's a bit hefty at 7% for a single but still probably shy on an imperial. Pours dark straw with a decent size head..Pure smooth hops with lots of citrus and pine. There is a hint of malt for balance but the hops clearly dominate as expected. Far less bitter than other similar brews making it incredibly smooth to drink. If you like hops and IPAs, it's a must try..
How does this compare to the Hop Devil IPA by Victory, which I assume you can purchase up in the Boston area?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 14th, 2009, 11:53 pm

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout-I have enjoyed 4 ounces of this each night for the last 3 nights in sherry/port glasses and this is just a great beverage. I say beverage because it really should not be called a beer. It is almost black, slightly oily, nearly uncarbonated and smooth as a JJ 3 pointer from 25 feet. If you can ever find a bottle or 6 or case of this stuff, take out a small loan and buy it. It is about $8-for each 12 ounce bottle (!) and has a ridiculous amount of darkly roasted barley with minimal bitterness. There are flavors of dark chocolate, dark/dried fruits, licorice and molasses. Their web site quotes 18% ABV but, I swear, I have read in the past that it is 20+% and it really does not overpower you. I am not sure whether this is a bottle I found at Lavabe's favorite specialty shop last fall or a bottle I bought in DC 7-8 years ago. Either way, it has aged well. Pour a small serving into a snifter/sherry/port glass and sip for an hour or so and savor the richness of a decadent liquid dessert. No floats. No cookies or brownies. Just one of the most intriguing beverages I have ever had.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » May 15th, 2009, 8:05 am

devildeac wrote:
How does this compare to the Hop Devil IPA by Victory, which I assume you can purchase up in the Boston area?
I've only tried Victory's double IPA (Hop Wallop) but Hop Devil is readily available up here. Do you recommend it? How would you compare it to Sierra Nevada Torpedo which is racing off the shelves up here. I found one store that yesterday had a decent stock of both Torpedo and Hop Devil and one of those 2 six packs has my name written on it for this weekend..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » May 15th, 2009, 8:13 am

devildeac wrote:Dogfish Head World Wide Stout-I have enjoyed 4 ounces of this each night for the last 3 nights in sherry/port glasses and this is just a great beverage. I say beverage because it really should not be called a beer. It is almost black, slightly oily, nearly uncarbonated and smooth as a JJ 3 pointer from 25 feet. If you can ever find a bottle or 6 or case of this stuff, take out a small loan and buy it. It is about $8-for each 12 ounce bottle (!) and has a ridiculous amount of darkly roasted barley with minimal bitterness. There are flavors of dark chocolate, dark/dried fruits, licorice and molasses. Their web site quotes 18% ABV but, I swear, I have read in the past that it is 20+% and it really does not overpower you. I am not sure whether this is a bottle I found at Lavabe's favorite specialty shop last fall or a bottle I bought in DC 7-8 years ago. Either way, it has aged well. Pour a small serving into a snifter/sherry/port glass and sip for an hour or so and savor the richness of a decadent liquid dessert. No floats. No cookies or brownies. Just one of the most intriguing beverages I have ever had.
This is a monster beer. The first time I tried it, I didn't realize the ABV and was hit hard. As you said, it is an extremely rich and diverse tasting stout..perfect for sipping slowly by a fireplace...or fire pit this time of year...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 15th, 2009, 8:53 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:
I've only tried Victory's double IPA (Hop Wallop) but Hop Devil is readily available up here. Do you recommend it? How would you compare it to Sierra Nevada Torpedo which is racing off the shelves up here. I found one store that yesterday had a decent stock of both Torpedo and Hop Devil and one of those 2 six packs has my name written on it for this weekend..
Interestingly, I find the Hop Devil even more bitter than the IIPA's we all seem to like. It's almost too bitter for me and I have had some 100+ IBU beers and really enjoy them. I have not seen an IBU # for the Hop Devil but I'd bet 70-80 range. I'd buy a single at least and compare it to the Torpedo, which I think is a bit smoother/less harsh, than the Hop Devil. I'd bet you like the Hop Devil and return for the 6er.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 15th, 2009, 8:54 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Interestingly, I find the Hop Devil even more bitter than the IIPA's we all seem to like. It's almost too bitter for me and I have had some 100+ IBU beers and really enjoy them. I have not seen an IBU # for the Hop Devil but I'd bet 70-80 range. I'd buy a single at least and compare it to the Torpedo, which I think is a bit smoother/less harsh, than the Hop Devil. I'd bet you like the Hop Devil and return for the 6er.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 15th, 2009, 10:37 am

devildeac wrote:Dogfish Head World Wide Stout-I have enjoyed 4 ounces of this each night for the last 3 nights in sherry/port glasses and this is just a great beverage. I say beverage because it really should not be called a beer. It is almost black, slightly oily, nearly uncarbonated and smooth as a JJ 3 pointer from 25 feet. If you can ever find a bottle or 6 or case of this stuff, take out a small loan and buy it. It is about $8-for each 12 ounce bottle (!) and has a ridiculous amount of darkly roasted barley with minimal bitterness. There are flavors of dark chocolate, dark/dried fruits, licorice and molasses. Their web site quotes 18% ABV but, I swear, I have read in the past that it is 20+% and it really does not overpower you. I am not sure whether this is a bottle I found at Lavabe's favorite specialty shop last fall or a bottle I bought in DC 7-8 years ago. Either way, it has aged well. Pour a small serving into a snifter/sherry/port glass and sip for an hour or so and savor the richness of a decadent liquid dessert. No floats. No cookies or brownies. Just one of the most intriguing beverages I have ever had.
I split a bottle of this with my dad and uncle on Xmas Eve last year. Your description is right on. We actually poured into double old fashioned glasses and it was definitely more like a fine dark rum than beer.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 15th, 2009, 9:11 pm

I picked up some good stuff today. First a bottle of 2009 Avery Samael's Oak Aged Strong Ale. I still have several 2008 bottles stowed away, so I'll do a comparison at some point. Off the bat, '09 is a bit more potent (16.5% instead of 15.5%). I also got a bottle of 2009 Reserve Deschutes Mirror Mirror Barley Wine. This beer was last produced in 2006 and they suggest not drinking this bottle before April 2010. Of course, I'll crack it before then and will pick up another to store. Finally, I got a bottle of Rochefort Trappist 10. This is a trippel (and, for some odd reason, more abundant than the 6, which is VERY hard to find) ale from one of the oldest breweries on earth. It's also one of the very best beers you'll find. It's brewed at a monastery in southern Belgium in which 15 highly reclusive monks live.

That brings me to a question: any of our esteemed beer drinkers here ever done a tour of the trappist breweries? There are only seven remaining (6 in Belgium and 1 in Holland) and their story is pretty cool (do a wikipedia search if you're interested; very cool stuff!). I would love to do such a trip. Rochefort doesn't do brewery tours, but you can tour the grounds of the monastery, which is really all I'd want to do.