Lavabe's Madagascar 2009 Lemur Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Lavabe's Madagascar 2009 Lemur Thread

Post by Lavabe » August 7th, 2009, 5:37 am

Lavabe wrote:While waiting at the gate for the plane, they made an announcement that they had overbooked. I was first on line for the bump. Great offer... business class bump for the following day, hotel/lodging accommodations for a day in Paris, + $800 in credit. Alas, they didn't need me, as some 18 people didn't show up for their flight. GO FIGURE!
I truly don't understand the 18 people not showing up. The flight attendant told me that was typical at this time of the year. :-o At holiday season, in contrast, EVERYONE shows up.

I just don't understand it. People book, then don't show up. It's not as though they booked, then switched flights, as their names would be taken off the list. What's the rationale with the people not showing up? Am I just missing something obvious?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 7th, 2009, 8:38 am

You really need to write a book. Reading your posts makes me want to pack up and go on an eco-vacation to Madagascar...camp out...see lemurs..walk through forests.
While no one would ever mistake me for a girly girly I do not DO the great outdoors. My idea of roughing it means room service is late. I do not sleep in tents. I do not go anywhere that doesn't haven't power and hot and cold running potable water. No WiFi is a hardship. No cell service is unacceptable.
Even can make me want to go schelping around a forest with leeches and creepy things you're good....really really good!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 7th, 2009, 9:04 am

ArkieDukie wrote:You "ased" the agent? Is that legal? =)) :roll: ;)
I think it's a law in France that you have "ase" people. ;) ;) ;)
I worship the Blue Devil!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 7th, 2009, 10:02 am

windsor wrote:You really need to write a book. Reading your posts makes me want to pack up and go on an eco-vacation to Madagascar...camp out...see lemurs..walk through forests.
While no one would ever mistake me for a girly girly I do not DO the great outdoors. My idea of roughing it means room service is late. I do not sleep in tents. I do not go anywhere that doesn't haven't power and hot and cold running potable water. No WiFi is a hardship. No cell service is unacceptable.
Even can make me want to go schelping around a forest with leeches and creepy things you're good....really really good!
That last sentance was suppose to say "If you can make even me...." WTF? Must be the Chantix :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » August 11th, 2009, 4:28 pm

ILoveJimmy wrote:The second best part of him coming home (the very best should be obvious!) was watching him reunite with Georgia. He kept silent walking in the door and walked around to where her crate is. He then rounded the corner and said hello to her. She went absolutely berserk in the crate, turning circles madly as if chasing her tail, and making little yelping sounds. Then when he let her out, she nearly bowled him over to get as close as possible to him and still wiggle and jump and try to lick him and let him rub her. It was a frenzy for many minutes. Then the two of them were right back to the kind of play they always did, running and playing together. She is thrilled to have him home and he to see her again.
Getting caught up here.... I love this story! Brings back many memories! Dogs are awesome (once potty trained!) :D Welcome home Lavabe!!!!
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » August 11th, 2009, 4:30 pm

wilson wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: You "ased" the agent? Is that legal?.
:))
=)) =)) =)) I almost had my drink come through my nose!!!! Too funny!!!! =)) =)) =))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 12th, 2009, 11:55 am

Since Lavabe is back, we have unstickied this topic with his permission. It of course will always be here, only now it will be in the regular rotation.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 19th, 2009, 6:09 pm

Strange thing just happened on my Facebook account. It turns out that on two of my photo albums, I did not actually hit PUBLISH, so only a few folks actually saw them. I have corrected these issues with these albums, and they are now available on my Facebook site.
Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 19th, 2009, 11:43 pm

Lavabe wrote:Strange thing just happened on my Facebook account. It turns out that on two of my photo albums, I did not actually hit PUBLISH, so only a few folks actually saw them. I have corrected these issues with these albums, and they are now available on my Facebook site.
Cheers,
Lavabe
I saw them, they looked great. Lots of character to those streets.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 20th, 2009, 11:23 am

Tough news appearing in today's BBC. Photos of the bushmeat trade affecting crowned lemurs and golden crowned sifakas down in Daraina. Daraina is a site of intense conservation activity, as it is home to one of the few forests that contain the golden crowned sifaka.

The following link is from the BBC, and the photos are graphic.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne ... 210355.stm

Fortunately, nothing like that occurred where I worked this summer, nor at my field site.

This is why I really took offense at the April 1 shenanigans over yonder.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 20th, 2009, 1:10 pm

Lavabe wrote:Tough news appearing in today's BBC. Photos of the bushmeat trade affecting crowned lemurs and golden crowned sifakas down in Daraina. Daraina is a site of intense conservation activity, as it is home to one of the few forests that contain the golden crowned sifaka.

Fortunately, nothing like that occurred where I worked this summer, nor at my field site.

This news makes me sad and angry. Lavabe, any suggestions on what we can do to curtail this, i.e. people to write to?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 20th, 2009, 2:38 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Tough news appearing in today's BBC. Photos of the bushmeat trade affecting crowned lemurs and golden crowned sifakas down in Daraina. Daraina is a site of intense conservation activity, as it is home to one of the few forests that contain the golden crowned sifaka.

This news makes me sad and angry. Lavabe, any suggestions on what we can do to curtail this, i.e. people to write to?
For me, it feels like someone just through a right cross into my guts. I know what I saw in my region, and it was wonderful. However, this really highlights the issue in another region.

There are several aspects I should explain:
1) Daraina has been a troubled area for a while, and the Fanamby group has a tough mission for sure. I like a lot of what they do.
2) Daraina has been the subject of a lot of conservation threats, including mining for gold.
3) There are severe economic pressures on people in the region. If the price of a commodity goes down, people turn to another commodity. This may be, in part, what was responsible earlier this year in one national park that was attacked by the timber mafia.

Many of the needed, important details of the trade were NOT presented in the article. How many lemurs? Which habitat was hunted? Who hunted? What's the commodity chain? A lot of details must be answered before I feel comfortable addressing the solution.

Having said that, a number of folks are highlighting this issue as a reason why the US MUST resume nonhumanitarian aid to Madagascar. I believe the article mentions this as well. I would argue that the nonhumanitarian aid used to preserve the environment ultimately IS humanitarian aid.

I have heard cynics argue that conservation groups use this sort of technique to drum up support. In this case, I cannot agree with this argument. Bushmeat here is a very real issue. Daraina has been a MAJOR issue for a while. And I have to say back in 1989, I was about to go into a nearby forest, when I started to hear things about hunting going on with one of the people who was going to help us. I decided not to go into the forest. I never went into that forest. After seeing the images today, I'm glad I didn't go in there.

I also feel VERY lucky to work in the region where I do work.

What can you do?

Uggh. I don't have a good answer just yet. If I did, the issue would be solved. Let me think about it.

In the meantime, you could check out: www.fanamby.org.mg. Conservation International (CI) is also mentioned. You could check out their site too. WORD OF WARNING: I believe both sites have much more graphic photos.

My approach takes a lot more time. I'm more involved with education over there, trying to get Malagasy students over there to work on these sorts of issues. I think from this summer's class, I have about 6 students who will advance in the field of conservation. Earlier this summer, I recommended to Fanamby a couple of my students from this last summer class.

I have to say that when you responded to my question about whether the management over yonder have been invited to join CTN, I had NO idea about this story. I can't help but wonder what the folks who joked about this would say seeing this story. I think I know some of their responses: "LOL," "it was a joke," lasers."

Yeah, right.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 20th, 2009, 2:49 pm

Lavabe wrote:In the meantime, you could check out: http://www.fanamby.org.mg. Conservation International (CI) is also mentioned. You could check out their site too. WORD OF WARNING: I believe both sites have much more graphic photos.
Is there a way to turn on an English language button to read this site? I don't remember a whole lot from high school French. Just ferme la bouche, not even sure I spelled that correctly.

I have to say that when you responded to my question about whether the management over yonder have been invited to join CTN, I had NO idea about this story. I can't help but wonder what the folks who joked about this would say seeing this story. I think I know some of their responses: "LOL," "it was a joke," lasers."

Yeah, right.[/quote]

These are the issues I was trying to make people aware of when "the joke" came out. Yes, a lot people realized it was a joke, but endangered animals are not a joke. There is a reason for every animal to be on this planet, even those icky insects, just haven't figured out their purpose is. If we allow a species to die out, there is no telling what sort of negative impact that will have on the environment of that species.

I love that the bald eagle has been saved. But, what if the bald eagle hadn't been our national symbol, would there have been as much of an effort to save that species?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 20th, 2009, 2:59 pm

TillyGalore wrote:Is there a way to turn on an English language button to read this site? I don't remember a whole lot from high school French. Just ferme la bouche, not even sure I spelled that correctly.
Whoops... try this:
http://www.fanamby.org.mg/en/fanamby.htm

The "en" stands for English.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 20th, 2009, 3:00 pm

TillyGalore wrote:I love that the bald eagle has been saved. But, what if the bald eagle hadn't been our national symbol...
Ben Franklin would've been a lot happier.
sMiles
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 20th, 2009, 3:16 pm

Lavabe wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:Is there a way to turn on an English language button to read this site? I don't remember a whole lot from high school French. Just ferme la bouche, not even sure I spelled that correctly.
Whoops... try this:
http://www.fanamby.org.mg/en/fanamby.htm

The "en" stands for English.
Ah, much better. Thank you for the English site.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 20th, 2009, 4:35 pm

Miles wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:I love that the bald eagle has been saved. But, what if the bald eagle hadn't been our national symbol...
Ben Franklin would've been a lot happier.
And probably Turk, too. ;)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 24th, 2009, 9:53 am

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Scattered, smothered, covered, peppered (maybe also topped with Bert's chili).

Cheers,
Lavabe
True story: I'm friends with Bert. I've been to his house (two of them, actually). He gave me a Bert bobblehead for my birthday last year. He's pretty much the nicest dude ever. He feeds me enormous, delicious dinners and sends me home with a mound of leftovers about once a month. It's kind of awesome.
Just want to give a shoutout to fellow ATL Mafia member, wilson, for getting in touch with Bert. I just received a package from Bert, including a bobblehead and a t-shirt. I've already had my ceremonial first order of Waffle House hash browns (Scattered, peppered, topped), but will definitely wear my t-shirt the next time I pass by those yellow letters.

As I said before, I was pretty much Jones-ing for topped Waffle House hash browns... probably a result of all those dishes of just rice. The bobblehead made my day. It will go on my office desk (next to the bobbleheaded ringtailed lemur).

Thank you, wilson!!
Thank you, Bert!!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 10th, 2010, 12:37 pm

It's BAAAAAAAAAACK. :D :D :D :D

Well, at least I will be posting from the field this year as much as I can, with the 2010 version of this thread. I leave it to the mods/Coach as to what to do witrh this thread... perhaps create a new 2010 thread, or just remove the 2009 from the title. Either way is fine with me.

T-minus 15 days, and you won't believe all the stuff I have to do.
/:)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 10th, 2010, 1:28 pm

Yay! It's up to you whether you'd rather use this one or start a new one. We'll sticky it when your trip gets closer.