Exercise!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: Exercise!

Post by ArkieDukie » October 31st, 2010, 11:08 pm

I forgot to wear my activity monitor this morning (OOPS!), so I had to work extra hard to get to the target today: an hour of Cardio Dance, a game of Wii tennis, and LOTS of running in place. I finally got there, though.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 31st, 2010, 11:13 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I forgot to wear my activity monitor this morning (OOPS!), so I had to work extra hard to get to the target today: an hour of Cardio Dance, a game of Wii tennis, and LOTS of running in place. I finally got there, though.
Yay! Good job! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

I walked 10,000 steps today. No extra exercise, but lots of running around, walking dogs, etc. Going to the gym tomorrow for my run/walk on the treadmill.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 1st, 2010, 7:53 am

Sunday: 60 minute walk on the beach (barefooted!), 30 minutes mowing the lawn and a 30 minute walk in the 'hood after dinner.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 1st, 2010, 8:00 am

devildeac wrote:Sunday: 60 minute walk on the beach (barefooted!), 30 minutes mowing the lawn and a 30 minute walk in the 'hood after dinner.
That's not only exercise--that's a PEDICURE!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 1st, 2010, 8:08 am

devildeac wrote:Sunday: 60 minute walk on the beach (barefooted!), 30 minutes mowing the lawn and a 30 minute walk in the 'hood after dinner.
Nicely done! :happy-bouncyblue:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 1st, 2010, 8:11 am

CathyCA wrote:
And there was no extra charge :D :)) =)) .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 1st, 2010, 10:11 am

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Multitasking! Well done! ^:)^
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 1st, 2010, 7:29 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Multitasking! Well done! ^:)^
Well, we are talking about devildeac. His PWing skills indicate a talent for multitasking. :D
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 1st, 2010, 7:32 pm

Just finished exercising. Was going to switch things up today and use my EA Sports Active program, but I got off to a bad start: the frakkin' thing didn't register squats! After a couple of times of the program telling me that I wasn't squatting down enough when I was practically sitting on the ground, I quit and went to my old standard: Cardio Dance. An hour of that put me over my exercise target for the day.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 1st, 2010, 8:48 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Just finished exercising. Was going to switch things up today and use my EA Sports Active program, but I got off to a bad start: the frakkin' thing didn't register squats! After a couple of times of the program telling me that I wasn't squatting down enough when I was practically sitting on the ground, I quit and went to my old standard: Cardio Dance. An hour of that put me over my exercise target for the day.
You go! I've had problems with EA Sports Active recording things, and the leg thing slides off my thighs pretty much every time I use it. I got to where I was safety pinning the leg strap to my shorts, before I gave up.

I went to the gym. Walked 20 minutes, ran 15, and did a 10 minute cooldown on the bike.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 3rd, 2010, 10:23 pm

Another day; another 45 min Cardio Dance workout! I also did an island lap on Wii Fit Plus (11 min of jogging).
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 3rd, 2010, 10:26 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Another day; another 45 min Cardio Dance workout! I also did an island lap on Wii Fit Plus (11 min of jogging).
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

I walked today and tonight. I need the Wii Fit Plus, and the Cardio Dance! Trying to hold out to suggest it for Christmas presents.

Looking back, I notice I forgot to mention last night that I did 30 minutes of Fitness Coach Flexibility. Better late than never. I hope it balanced out the brownie bowl that I licked.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » November 5th, 2010, 2:26 am

Finally, I can join in on the "exercise through game consoles" conversation -- got my Kinect for XBOX this morning! So far, I'm pretty impressed with how well it reads body movement & motion. (The voice recognition is solid too.)

I tried the boxing game in Kinect Sports first, because I'm most familiar with Wii Boxing. The Kinect was slightly more sensitive/quicker to react, and I didn't have to hold anything! I only went one match, so I don't know if it gets harder as you go against better opponents, but I hope so. Soccer was fun too. Can't wait to take on table tennis.

The Kinect Adventures game looks like it'd be entertaining for watching others look silly, but I did get a little out of breath after 2 rounds of one of the initial events (Rambling Rapids?... don't remember the name.)

It's nice to be able to play video games without having to use an overly complicated controller (I never advanced beyond Atari 2600 joysticks in skill level), and also get a workout at the same time. I will have to close the curtains, to keep from scaring the neighborhood children.... :D
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 5th, 2010, 9:40 am

DevilAlumna wrote:Finally, I can join in on the "exercise through game consoles" conversation -- got my Kinect for XBOX this morning! So far, I'm pretty impressed with how well it reads body movement & motion. (The voice recognition is solid too.)

I tried the boxing game in Kinect Sports first, because I'm most familiar with Wii Boxing. The Kinect was slightly more sensitive/quicker to react, and I didn't have to hold anything! I only went one match, so I don't know if it gets harder as you go against better opponents, but I hope so. Soccer was fun too. Can't wait to take on table tennis.

The Kinect Adventures game looks like it'd be entertaining for watching others look silly, but I did get a little out of breath after 2 rounds of one of the initial events (Rambling Rapids?... don't remember the name.)

It's nice to be able to play video games without having to use an overly complicated controller (I never advanced beyond Atari 2600 joysticks in skill level), and also get a workout at the same time. I will have to close the curtains, to keep from scaring the neighborhood children.... :D
How long did it take you to set up the Kinect? We're debating between the Kinect and the Sony Move (Moove? the new Sony thing, whatever it's called). I don't mind holding the Wii remotes but the leg band with the nunchuck is next to impossible for me to keep above my ankle, without pinning the leg strap to my shorts (or my leg, but that's a problem for another board!)

Good for you, getting some exercise! How are you feeling?
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » November 5th, 2010, 12:14 pm

lawgrad91 wrote: How long did it take you to set up the Kinect? We're debating between the Kinect and the Sony Move (Moove? the new Sony thing, whatever it's called). I don't mind holding the Wii remotes but the leg band with the nunchuck is next to impossible for me to keep above my ankle, without pinning the leg strap to my shorts (or my leg, but that's a problem for another board!)

Good for you, getting some exercise! How are you feeling?
Once Mr. DA got it hooked to our overly complicated Audio/Visual equipment (10 min?), it took about 10 minutes to get the XBOX set up and the Kinect sensor hooked up (needs to feed some firmware to the XBOX), and calibrate it all (2-3 min.). I already have an XBOX gamer profile, so if you had to create one from scratch it might take another 5-10 min. (depending on how elaborate/exact you want to be about your avatar.)

I've finally got my energy back (first trimester is very much over), so I'm feeling much better, thanks! I was very fortunate that morning sickness mostly escaped me (I hear that means I must be carrying a boy?) Now I'm in what my husband is calling "action mode" -- we'll be painting the room that will be the nursery this weekend; getting some other areas of the house in shape, etc.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 5th, 2010, 9:13 pm

The calf misbehaved, so I only managed 15 minutes (9 walking, 6 running) on the treadmill. I was able to ride the bike for 30 minutes, though.

Tomorrow's exercise will be trekking to and from Brunchgate and the frozen tundra. :duke: This is approximately what I'll look like tomorrow, but with tan pants.

Sunday's exercise will be parking in South Carolina (probably) and trekking to BofA stadium to watch the Panthers and my Saints.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 8th, 2010, 8:46 pm

Back to it today. Forty-five minutes of My Fitness Coach upper body. Hopefully the dogs and I will walk a mile tonight, to get things rolling in the proper direction.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 10th, 2010, 6:57 pm

I re-upped with DirectLife for another 2 month program, continuing to ramp up my exercise calories. In addition to the target calories, there's a target time for low intensity and high intensity exercise. Current goal for high intensity (like jogging) is 30 min/day. My goal is to actually do that; I think this will help with weight loss. With that in mind, I went outside to jog around the block. Lo and behold, there were Mr. and Mrs. Throaty and young baby throaty! We had a nice chat while strolling. I did a small bit of jogging, too.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 10th, 2010, 7:16 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I re-upped with DirectLife for another 2 month program, continuing to ramp up my exercise calories. In addition to the target calories, there's a target time for low intensity and high intensity exercise. Current goal for high intensity (like jogging) is 30 min/day. My goal is to actually do that; I think this will help with weight loss. With that in mind, I went outside to jog around the block. Lo and behold, there were Mr. and Mrs. Throaty and young baby throaty! We had a nice chat while strolling. I did a small bit of jogging, too.
Keep it up, AD! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

Tonight's my night off. I'm recovering from the hardcore workout on Cardio Workout, followed by a 10 minute jog in place last night, probably more running than I have done at one time since I played basketball in high school....Off to the gym tomorrow, and Friday and Saturday (in the Renaissance Hotel in Charlotte).
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 10th, 2010, 7:20 pm

I lifted a finger today. #:-s
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.