LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by YmoBeThere » December 31st, 2010, 9:20 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Just remembered that there is song from the 80's called Kyrie by a band called Mr. Mister. Now they used the full phrase "Kyrie Eleison" which I understand is Greek for Lord Have Mercy. The band was from Phoenix which is where I lived at the time. Not that I had anything to do with the band or the song.
Man, those were the days when I would listen to American Top 40 every week...
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 31st, 2010, 9:27 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Just remembered that there is song from the 80's called Kyrie by a band called Mr. Mister. Now they used the full phrase "Kyrie Eleison" which I understand is Greek for Lord Have Mercy. The band was from Phoenix which is where I lived at the time. Not that I had anything to do with the band or the song.
I really like that song. One of my friends in college always sang "kyrie eleison" as "carry a laser." In the context of the rest of the lyrics, it's pretty funny: Carry a laser down the road that I must travel. Carry a laser through the darkness of the night.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 31st, 2010, 12:56 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Our drier died tonight. I was doing a big load of bath towels when it made made a clunk noise and shut off. The drum no longer rotates although the motor runs when the start button is pushed. Don't know how the motor connects to the drum - belt? Gear? Something else? It's 15+ years old and I hesitate to even call a service man to come look at it. If it's an inexpensive fix, then yeah, I'd spend <$100 to fix it, but I don't want to waste close to $100 to find out it'll be another $200 to fix it. I may pull off the back of the drier tomorrow morning and take a look myself, bit I've tentatively bought a replacement at Lowe's already for delivery on Sunday morning.
OK, this isn't quite the magnitude of Cathy's repair save, but the cost is almost identical! I had recently noticed a sign out on the not so main road near my house that said "Appliance Repair, All Brands" with a phone number on it. Last night I called it and left a message and this morning I spoke with him. The repair man came over this morning about 11 a.m., cost $45 to diagnose the drier, to be applied to the cost of repair if it was repairable. Diagnosis: broken belt! Total repair cost: $80.03! Bad news: he didn't have one on his truck and it will be Monday afternoon before he can get one from the supply house in Raleigh (they are closed today). I have already gone back over to Lowe's and canceled the new drier I bought last night! 2010 has ended on a positive note for sure :D

And to top it off, OzzieDaughter has decided to stay an extra day and go back to the mountains tomorrow instead of today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: More BabyRuth time for me! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » December 31st, 2010, 1:01 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
I really like that song. One of my friends in college always sang "kyrie eleison" as "carry a laser." In the context of the rest of the lyrics, it's pretty funny: Carry a laser down the road that I must travel. Carry a laser through the darkness of the night.
I believe the following lyric is in the second verse:
Carry a laser, your toe will heal faster.
;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 31st, 2010, 2:40 pm

AARGH! I just returned home from the Walmart Trip from Hell. Went in to get a battery replaced and decided to have a prescription filled while I was at it. Got a couple of groceries while waiting for the pharmacy. Was next in line at the pharmacy when an announcement came over the intercom that we were under a tornado warning and everyone, including associates, had to go to the center of the store. Went to the center of the store; was there for about 5 min. Went back to pharmacy and had to wait about 10 min for them to fill a prescription that was supposed to be finished just about the time that we had to go to the center of the store. While waiting, I got a call from automotive, telling me that my car was ready. Paid for meds, was walking back to get my car when ANOTHER tornado warning was issued. I sat in the middle of the store for just under an hour before they let us go. The kicker? I was "free to leave." Yeah, except for the fact that I hadn't paid for my battery yet and couldn't do so because the registers were closed. The storm was over 20 miles away when the store went into lockdown mode. I know this because I pulled up the radar on my iPhone. Would've had plenty of time to make it home before nasty weather ensued. ~X(

On the bright side, since I bought my last battery at Walmart, I got a discounted price for the new one. Thank you, 3 year warranty! :happy-bouncyblue:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 31st, 2010, 4:07 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:AARGH! I just returned home from the Walmart Trip from Hell. Went in to get a battery replaced and decided to have a prescription filled while I was at it. Got a couple of groceries while waiting for the pharmacy. Was next in line at the pharmacy when an announcement came over the intercom that we were under a tornado warning and everyone, including associates, had to go to the center of the store. Went to the center of the store; was there for about 5 min. Went back to pharmacy and had to wait about 10 min for them to fill a prescription that was supposed to be finished just about the time that we had to go to the center of the store. While waiting, I got a call from automotive, telling me that my car was ready. Paid for meds, was walking back to get my car when ANOTHER tornado warning was issued. I sat in the middle of the store for just under an hour before they let us go. The kicker? I was "free to leave." Yeah, except for the fact that I hadn't paid for my battery yet and couldn't do so because the registers were closed. The storm was over 20 miles away when the store went into lockdown mode. I know this because I pulled up the radar on my iPhone. Would've had plenty of time to make it home before nasty weather ensued. ~X(

On the bright side, since I bought my last battery at Walmart, I got a discounted price for the new one. Thank you, 3 year warranty! :happy-bouncyblue:
I said a prayer for you when I was at the gym and the TV on CNN was talking about the tornados. Glad to know you are ok, if a little frustrated.

Speaking of frustration, my baby Saab is driving just fine, except for the fact that B wasn't paying attention in his friend's car lot this morning and backed into a pickup. The pickup is fine; the Saab's taillight cover is gone. X(

On a funny note, I texted my friend Sandy to vent, and said we needed to pick up some taillight tape or Saran wrap, and my phone autocorrected it to SATAN wrap. :ymdevil: :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 31st, 2010, 4:41 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:AARGH! I just returned home from the Walmart Trip from Hell. Went in to get a battery replaced and decided to have a prescription filled while I was at it. Got a couple of groceries while waiting for the pharmacy. Was next in line at the pharmacy when an announcement came over the intercom that we were under a tornado warning and everyone, including associates, had to go to the center of the store. Went to the center of the store; was there for about 5 min. Went back to pharmacy and had to wait about 10 min for them to fill a prescription that was supposed to be finished just about the time that we had to go to the center of the store. While waiting, I got a call from automotive, telling me that my car was ready. Paid for meds, was walking back to get my car when ANOTHER tornado warning was issued. I sat in the middle of the store for just under an hour before they let us go. The kicker? I was "free to leave." Yeah, except for the fact that I hadn't paid for my battery yet and couldn't do so because the registers were closed. The storm was over 20 miles away when the store went into lockdown mode. I know this because I pulled up the radar on my iPhone. Would've had plenty of time to make it home before nasty weather ensued. ~X(

I said a prayer for you when I was at the gym and the TV on CNN was talking about the tornados. Glad to know you are ok, if a little frustrated.

Speaking of frustration, my baby Saab is driving just fine, except for the fact that B wasn't paying attention in his friend's car lot this morning and backed into a pickup. The pickup is fine; the Saab's taillight cover is gone. X(

On a funny note, I texted my friend Sandy to vent, and said we needed to pick up some taillight tape or Saran wrap, and my phone autocorrected it to SATAN wrap. :ymdevil: :duke:
Thanks, friend! There was a little bit of hail and some heavy rain, but other than that it was the typical storm that one would expect to see when you've got temps in the low 60s in late December.

Satan wrap! =)) :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 31st, 2010, 5:58 pm

Just got a cool shot with my camera. We're settled in the new house now, and my wife called to me to come quick. I ran in to see what was the matter, and there were ten deer in our backyard. I managed to get all 10 in a shot with my camera as they ran out the side yard into the street.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » December 31st, 2010, 7:02 pm

Gettin' in here late, I had some questions and some answers on several of the topics mentioned but...

for example: Oz, I know that sound and I knew it to be the belt.

AD, I heard about the 'winter time tornadoes' on the radio and was curious if you were out of harms way.

The Association's Requiem for the Masses
Trans-Siberian Orchestra's An Angel Returned
...lots of kyrie eleisons abound through pop music culture

Fuckin' HOLES! Is the rule different for the college game from the pros, in that, should the offense in the last bit of game time be penalized for a procudure situation, it also requires a time runoff of (I forget how many) a few seconds? This rule being in place in order to prevent intentional penalties for the express purpose of stopping the clock. Would not such a rule been good to have to enforce in last night's debacle?
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 31st, 2010, 7:16 pm

captmojo wrote:Gettin' in here late, I had some questions and some answers on several of the topics mentioned but...

I didn't know if my drier had a belt or some other, more complicated drive mechanism to connect the motor to the drum. I was hoping for the belt, which is why I called the service guy, but it was an act of faith and hope (not the TV show...). Even the tech didn't know when I called him on the phone and asked him if it had a belt - he said he wouldn't know until he looked at it since he wasn't familiar with the particular model.

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 31st, 2010, 7:40 pm

captmojo wrote:Gettin' in here late, I had some questions and some answers on several of the topics mentioned but...

AD, I heard about the 'winter time tornadoes' on the radio and was curious if you were out of harms way.

The Association's Requiem for the Masses
Trans-Siberian Orchestra's An Angel Returned
...lots of kyrie eleisons abound through pop music culture

Fuckin' HOLES! Is the rule different for the college game from the pros, in that, should the offense in the last bit of game time be penalized for a procudure situation, it also requires a time runoff of (I forget how many) a few seconds? This rule being in place in order to prevent intentional penalties for the express purpose of stopping the clock. Would not such a rule been good to have to enforce in last night's debacle?
Capt, there is no runoff penalty in college, like there is in the pros (where it's a 10 second runoff for just the reason you mention). And yes, there should be. X(
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 31st, 2010, 8:47 pm

captmojo wrote: AD, I heard about the 'winter time tornadoes' on the radio and was curious if you were out of harms way.
I just figured out that, while I was sitting in the center of the Maplewood Walmart, a F3 tornado touched down 5-10 miles from where I was. :twitch: There was quite a bit of damage in Sunset Hills and Crestwood, for those of you who know the area.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo

Post by captmojo » December 31st, 2010, 10:21 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: I didn't know if my drier had a belt or some other, more complicated drive mechanism to connect the motor to the drum. I was hoping for the belt, which is why I called the service guy, but it was an act of faith and hope (not the TV show...). Even the tech didn't know when I called him on the phone and asked him if it had a belt - he said he wouldn't know until he looked at it since he wasn't familiar with the particular model.
I'm not familiar with any setup that consists of anything other than...
1) motor
2) spring-loaded idler tension pulley
3) belt
After much use, it's possible to wear out the drum bearing but that's usually something that doesn't happen all at once. It'll make a constant noticeable bumping noise that gradually gets worse over time, though the drum is likely to still continue turning.

I learned too much of this crap while working for Montgomery Ward, long ago. :twitch:
captmojo

Post by captmojo » December 31st, 2010, 10:25 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: I just figured out that, while I was sitting in the center of the Maplewood Walmart, a F3 tornado touched down 5-10 miles from where I was. :twitch: There was quite a bit of damage in Sunset Hills and Crestwood, for those of you who know the area.
Just glad to hear you're okay. #:-s
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 31st, 2010, 10:26 pm

captmojo wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: I didn't know if my drier had a belt or some other, more complicated drive mechanism to connect the motor to the drum. I was hoping for the belt, which is why I called the service guy, but it was an act of faith and hope (not the TV show...). Even the tech didn't know when I called him on the phone and asked him if it had a belt - he said he wouldn't know until he looked at it since he wasn't familiar with the particular model.
I'm not familiar with any setup that consists of anything other than...
1) motor
2) spring-loaded idler tension pulley
3) belt
After much use, it's possible to wear out the drum bearing but that's usually something that doesn't happen all at once. It'll make a constant noticeable bumping noise that gradually gets worse over time, though the drum is likely to still continue turning.

I learned too much of this crap while working for Montgomery Ward, long ago. :twitch:
Live and learn!

captmojo

Post by captmojo » December 31st, 2010, 10:36 pm

Tonight makes me think back to my old, late buddy Bob. I once asked Bob if he wanted to go out on New Year's Eve. His answer, "Hell no. Look at 'em. They're all amatuers. They need excuses like, 'A new calendar! Let's party!' The only excuse a professional drunk like me needs is the fact that I'm thirsty." :twitch:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 1st, 2011, 6:07 am

Just looked at the weather map and saw a band of snow headed this way. Just what one would expect to see after a winter tornado.
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 1st, 2011, 9:53 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
captmojo wrote: AD, I heard about the 'winter time tornadoes' on the radio and was curious if you were out of harms way.
I just figured out that, while I was sitting in the center of the Maplewood Walmart, a F3 tornado touched down 5-10 miles from where I was. :twitch: There was quite a bit of damage in Sunset Hills and Crestwood, for those of you who know the area.
Now don't you feel bad for cursing out those poor Walmart employees who were just trying to protect you? ;)

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 1st, 2011, 10:42 am

bjornolf wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Now don't you feel bad for cursing out those poor Walmart employees who were just trying to protect you? ;)

@};-
Yes and no. The lockdown started about 30 min before the tornado hit. I would rather have gone home - the building is a bit more solid than Walmart. I'd rather not be in a tin can if a tornado hits.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 1st, 2011, 1:40 pm

Ribs are going on the grill. Spent a fun and inebriated NYE with DukePA, Cathy and Stevo. I slept until almost 1pm. That's a good way to start off the new year. :happy-bouncyblue:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.