Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by ArkieDukie » November 11th, 2010, 10:01 pm

DukePA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:Congratulations, AD on being published. Keep up the good work.
Thanks DinK! The publication fairy has been especially nice to me this year: two papers from work I did 5+ years ago at UAMS, a paper in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the NEJM paper, and a couple others in smaller journals from work that I've done since arriving here about 1.5 years ago. I'm lucky to be collaborating with some good people.
Nope, they're lucky to have YOU, Ms. ArkieDukie! Congratulations!!!!
Thanks, DukePA! (for a supposedly intelligent person, I did a nice job of messing up the title of a pretty big journal. corrected above. :ymblushing: )
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » November 12th, 2010, 7:39 am

CathyCA wrote:I just lit the pilot light on my new gas logs!

This is such an accomplishment. I am so afraid of lighting gas stoves, water heaters, grills, gas logs. I got down on the floor, figured out how to light the thing, and I didn't have any explosion when it lit. It didn't scare me when it lit, and I didn't scream.

Now I can enjoy cozy fires in my living room.
Cool, congrats. Was this the initial lighting, or had it gone out for some reason?

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 12th, 2010, 9:06 am

bjornolf wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I just lit the pilot light on my new gas logs!

This is such an accomplishment. I am so afraid of lighting gas stoves, water heaters, grills, gas logs. I got down on the floor, figured out how to light the thing, and I didn't have any explosion when it lit. It didn't scare me when it lit, and I didn't scream.

Now I can enjoy cozy fires in my living room.
Cool, congrats. Was this the initial lighting, or had it gone out for some reason?

@};-
Initial lighting. I bought them in May. I had to burn them for 8 straight hours, and yesterday was the first time it was cold enough to run them for that length of time. They are beautiful.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 12th, 2010, 10:18 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:Bragging time from a proud aunt:

Nephew Sam will be in a play this weekend - and I get to be there!

He also will be Conrad, the lead, in Bye, Bye, Birdie! in March. I will be there also. I've already asked for the first weekend in March off. (I have a great boss!)
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
So great that you get to see your nephew in his play this weekend. Do you have to travel to see it?
Yes. I leave at 0 dark 30 Saturday am for 2 weeks in PA!
Life is good!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 12th, 2010, 1:28 pm

Off to Kentucky Academy of Sciences meeting... 8AM talk I have to give tomorrow morning.
~O)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 12th, 2010, 6:12 pm

Lavabe wrote:Off to Kentucky Academy of Sciences meeting... 8AM talk I have to give tomorrow morning.
~O)
Hope the talk went well! Was a healthy amount of ~O) provided for conference attendees?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 12th, 2010, 6:21 pm

I now have another story for the book entitled "Reasons I'm Lucky I'm No Longer Working in My Old Job." Apparently one of the people who was hired after my departure filed a grievance against Supervisor Barbie and was fired shortly thereafter. By all accounts SB treated this person just like she treated me (like dirt). Said individual made the mistake of filing the grievance before their probationary period was over.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but isn't there a problem with firing someone after they've filed a grievance against their supervisor, even if it's during their probationary period? Anyone with half a brain knows that the timing of the termination is not exactly a coincidence. Being, ahem, close personal friends, ahem, with the boss definitely has its privileges. I'm REALLY bummed now that I didn't send in my exit interview. Maybe it would've given additional leverage for the person who filed the grievance. Should I still send it in, even though it's been 2.5 years since I left the job?
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 12th, 2010, 11:16 pm

Full house tonight. DukePA, CB&B, hazeleyedpixie9, Max and Paul are here. The plan: They are heading to Brunchgate at 6:30 AM. Geeeees, too early for me. ;;)
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 13th, 2010, 12:01 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:Bragging time from a proud aunt:

Nephew Sam will be in a play this weekend - and I get to be there!

He also will be Conrad, the lead, in Bye, Bye, Birdie! in March. I will be there also. I've already asked for the first weekend in March off. (I have a great boss!)
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
So great that you get to see your nephew in his play this weekend. Do you have to travel to see it?
Yes. I leave at 0 dark 30 Saturday am for 2 weeks in PA!
Travel vibes to you! Have a great time with the family in PA. :wizard:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 13th, 2010, 12:04 pm

Some crazy bug seems to have bitten me today: I'm doing some serious house cleaning! I even removed a broken light bulb from my bathroom vanity mirror; it's been there since I moved in. Stupid contractors broke it and never took it out. I actually had to turn off the power at the breaker box and use needle nose pliers to remove it.

Okay, end of break. Back to work I go! Unless, of course, I find out that the Duke football game is being televised.
-- Albert Einstein
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » November 13th, 2010, 4:35 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Some crazy bug seems to have bitten me today: I'm doing some serious house cleaning! I even removed a broken light bulb from my bathroom vanity mirror; it's been there since I moved in. Stupid contractors broke it and never took it out. I actually had to turn off the power at the breaker box and use needle nose pliers to remove it.

Okay, end of break. Back to work I go! Unless, of course, I find out that the Duke football game is being televised.
Good for you! Can you send that bug my way? I slept in until nearly 11AM, and after a trip to the bagel shop, have been on the couch ever since. Long work week is equalling no energy this weekend, I think.

I did get to see the end of the Duke game (courtesy ESPN3), which was both riveting and disheartening.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 13th, 2010, 9:16 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Some crazy bug seems to have bitten me today: I'm doing some serious house cleaning! I even removed a broken light bulb from my bathroom vanity mirror; it's been there since I moved in. Stupid contractors broke it and never took it out. I actually had to turn off the power at the breaker box and use needle nose pliers to remove it.

I could use that bug, too. Mom will be here Friday for Thanksgiving week.
Iron Duke #1471997.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » November 14th, 2010, 8:35 am

Good morning!

Whoops, wrong thread.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 14th, 2010, 7:38 pm

I had a productive Goodwill shopping excursion today. At my first stop I found a Limoges heart-shaped box for $4! (They're listed online at $100+ - not sure how much this one is worth). At my last stop I found a brand-new, still in the box etagere for $60. It's one that Target sells, and it's listed on their website for $130. Funny thing is, I went out today looking for ... an etagere.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 14th, 2010, 7:52 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I had a productive Goodwill shopping excursion today. At my first stop I found a Limoges heart-shaped box for $4! (They're listed online at $100+ - not sure how much this one is worth). At my last stop I found a brand-new, still in the box etagere for $60. It's one that Target sells, and it's listed on their website for $130. Funny thing is, I went out today looking for ... an etagere.
Woo-hoo! Jackpot! Congratulations!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 14th, 2010, 8:15 pm

CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I had a productive Goodwill shopping excursion today. At my first stop I found a Limoges heart-shaped box for $4! (They're listed online at $100+ - not sure how much this one is worth). At my last stop I found a brand-new, still in the box etagere for $60. It's one that Target sells, and it's listed on their website for $130. Funny thing is, I went out today looking for ... an etagere.
Woo-hoo! Jackpot! Congratulations!
Thanks! Unfortunately the etagere won't fit in the space where I intended to put it. I think I might keep it anyway and find a way to make it work.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 14th, 2010, 8:39 pm

If the broken glass is still a part of the bulb, you can cut a potato in half and jam it over the broken end to unscrew the bulb.
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 14th, 2010, 8:42 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:

If the broken glass is still a part of the bulb, you can cut a potato in half and jam it over the broken end to unscrew the bulb.
I tried that. Unfortunately it didn't work - no glass.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » November 14th, 2010, 8:44 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:

I tried that. Unfortunately it didn't work - no glass.
Bummer. I always wondered if the potato thing worked.
Life is good!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 14th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Way to go. I love stopping in thrift stores.