LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 9th, 2010, 4:18 pm

colchar wrote:We have two winners this time!

Here is another one:

What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and gray when you throw it away?
Newspaper?
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 9th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:

Here is another one:

What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and gray when you throw it away?
Newspaper?

Nope!
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 9th, 2010, 4:52 pm

Here is another one:

I just figured this out as I was preparing my grill.
Charcoal!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 9th, 2010, 5:43 pm

Did anyone see the middle school football player, walk the football past the D line and score a td? Best snick I've ever seen. It was so funny.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 9th, 2010, 5:46 pm

Max's school football team won the conference championship last night. I think the score was 42 to 12. Max had an awesome game. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: Go EE Smith Middle School!!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 9th, 2010, 6:18 pm

bjornolf wrote:
devildeac wrote:The parts/service manager is a very good patient of mine and an excellent source for MBB tix and a friend.
a "very good" patient? Lots of heart problems, eh? Paid for that new two level deck and the 2010 Mercedes, eh? :D

@};-
Bypass 10 years ago. Sunroom added to the house 2003. 2010 Honda. :tease:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » November 9th, 2010, 7:48 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I went with the cheapest possible rental car for the weekend (economy car from Dollar) and really lucked out: the car was a Ford Fusion. Has anyone else ever driven one? I was very pleasantly surprised. I would definitely consider buying one if I was in the market for a car. For those of you who are not quite as vertically challenged as I (**cough**Lavabe**cough**), there's also LOTS of head room. I think it would be a comfortable car for a tall person.
Having spent time with them, they're not bad vehicles. I've asked owners opinions and the response is all positive. They are quite comfortable. There's a Lincoln clone, too. MKZ, it's called. If Ford's your interest, I suggest a look at the new Taurus as well. Sorry, no hybrid in this model.
Lavabe wrote: I talked about the hybrid after I test drove it sometime last year. You are right in that the hybrid is a fantastic car, with lots of headroom. It does, however, have one major problem...

sticker shock.

When I checked, $30,000 plus for the hybrid, and no budging with the sales person. Turned me off completely.
It's that whole, pesky supply/demand problem. Production for the hybrid is much lower than the conventional car.
They do have this freaky 'Silent Start' thing. If the car is positioned in a downhill or level position, to start it...you turn the key and look for the green arrow on the bottom right of the gauge panel. When you see the arrow, put it in gear and go. When the attitude changes, the gasoline motor kicks on...smoothly and quietly.
And, this car has power. I've been in some hybrids that wouldn't pull a greasy string out of a cat's ass! Seriously. A Honda Civic hardly has enough juice to get up on the truck to be hauled away. The Accords they used to make were okay. WERE. A key word.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 9th, 2010, 8:45 pm

captmojo wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I went with the cheapest possible rental car for the weekend (economy car from Dollar) and really lucked out: the car was a Ford Fusion. Has anyone else ever driven one? I was very pleasantly surprised. I would definitely consider buying one if I was in the market for a car. For those of you who are not quite as vertically challenged as I (**cough**Lavabe**cough**), there's also LOTS of head room. I think it would be a comfortable car for a tall person.
Having spent time with them, they're not bad vehicles. I've asked owners opinions and the response is all positive. They are quite comfortable. There's a Lincoln clone, too. MKZ, it's called. If Ford's your interest, I suggest a look at the new Taurus as well. Sorry, no hybrid in this model.
Lavabe wrote: I talked about the hybrid after I test drove it sometime last year. You are right in that the hybrid is a fantastic car, with lots of headroom. It does, however, have one major problem...

sticker shock.

When I checked, $30,000 plus for the hybrid, and no budging with the sales person. Turned me off completely.
It's that whole, pesky supply/demand problem. Production for the hybrid is much lower than the conventional car.
They do have this freaky 'Silent Start' thing. If the car is positioned in a downhill or level position, to start it...you turn the key and look for the green arrow on the bottom right of the gauge panel. When you see the arrow, put it in gear and go. When the attitude changes, the gasoline motor kicks on...smoothly and quietly.
And, this car has power. I've been in some hybrids that wouldn't pull a greasy string out of a cat's ass! Seriously. A Honda Civic hardly has enough juice to get up on the truck to be hauled away. The Accords they used to make were okay. WERE. A key word.
Thanks for your insights! I think the Ford Fusion hybrid will definitely need to go on my list of cars to consider for my next purchase.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 10th, 2010, 12:41 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Here is another one:

Charcoal!

Yep!

Sorry for the delayed response - I forgot I had posted this earlier L-)
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 10th, 2010, 12:50 am

colchar wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Here is another one:

Charcoal!

Yep!

Sorry for the delayed response - I forgot I had posted this earlier L-)
WHEW! I was holding my breath! :-w :D
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 10th, 2010, 10:58 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
captmojo wrote:

sticker shock.

Thanks for your insights! I think the Ford Fusion hybrid will definitely need to go on my list of cars to consider for my next purchase.
I was going to look at a Ford Fusion Hybrid - but they didn't have the correct shade of blue. I love my Camry Hybrid - which is in the correct shade of blue.
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 10th, 2010, 6:52 pm

I had a lovely pastrami on rye sandwich from Kohn's Deli for lunch today. Got it in the Barnes-Jewish cafeteria. It was pretty darn good - definitely better than the regular fare from the cafeteria.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » November 10th, 2010, 6:53 pm

mustang 2011.jpg
mustang 2011.jpg (8.32 KiB) Viewed 157 times
Ahem!
Okay, it's a different model. ;)
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 10th, 2010, 9:26 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I was in Sam's Club today looking at ink jet printers and talking to the tech support person, who also covers TV's, etc. We talked about how all the tech stuff now only has a 90 day return policy, unlike the "old days" when it was unlimited, for any reason, satisfaction guaranteed, no questions asked. Hmmm, I said, like my 2001 43" Toshiba HD ready rear projection TV I asked him? "Yup", he replied, "if you have the receipt." I do! :happy-bouncyblue: It may be time for a serious upgrade of technology in the Ozzie household! :D
Welllllllllllllllllllllll, management at the store isn't as dumb and stupid as I had hoped. I actually went to the same two stores I had been in on Monday and went to the customer service desk at each and asked if I could return my 9 year old TV with the original receipt. I had the receipt with me, but not the TV - didn't want to tote the dang thing for no reason. Both stores called the manager and he said "NO!" Perhaps if I call corporate...
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 10th, 2010, 9:39 pm

Oh, I did buy a printer tonight. An HP 6500A Plus. They have it at Sam's Club for $139.95, but I bought it at Office Max, where it's on sale for $149.95, less $20.00 credit if you trade in an old printer, which I did, so my net was only $129.95, $10 less than at Sam's. The return policy isn't as good, but I'm sure this is the printer I want so I'm not concerned about that. Buying refilled ink cartridges from Cartridge World makes the cost per page for this printer far lower for printing brochures than anything else I found, in the quantities I am doing - not a lot of any one brochure to justify having them printed by a "real" printer, but when I need 10 of 5 different brochures, printers eat colored ink like there is no tomorrow, one time blue, next time yellow, and this printer has 3 independent color cartridges, not one tri-color one, so they can be replaced as needed! Makes sense to me anyway. They also have a model 6500 for only $89.95 through Friday that uses the same 920XL inks, so if anyone is looking for a printer/copier/scanner/fax all in one that has a low ink cost per page and you don't need 2 sided printing and wireless connection (those are the two features that the more expensive model has), then this is a great machine for the price. I wanted the 2-sided printing for the brochures and decided it was worth the extra $40 (no trade in allowed on the cheaper printer).

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 11th, 2010, 12:27 am

Stayed up late setting up the printer! Wireless connection - check. Two-sided printing - check! Using the 22 pound paper isn't satisfactory for that, but I didn't think it would be. I'll get some glossy inkjet brochure paper, or something similar.

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 11th, 2010, 6:59 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Stayed up late setting up the printer! Wireless connection - check. Two-sided printing - check! Using the 22 pound paper isn't satisfactory for that, but I didn't think it would be. I'll get some glossy inkjet brochure paper, or something similar.
I have a new wireless printer that needs to be set up.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 11th, 2010, 8:00 am

I love getting up on these cold mornings to be greeted by a nice fire going in the fireplace. Ahhh. ~O)
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 11th, 2010, 8:52 am

I'm muddling through today with minimal funciton in my right thumb...thanks to the deep puncture put there by the canine tooth of dalmation at the training club last night. This isn't my first dog bite, nor my last...but DAMN they hurt like hell.

:O3
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 11th, 2010, 8:53 am

windsor wrote:I'm muddling through today with minimal funciton in my right thumb...thanks to the deep puncture put there by the canine tooth of dalmation at the training club last night. This isn't my first dog bite, nor my last...but DAMN they hurt like hell.

:O3
Ouch that sucks! Dogbite recovery vibes to you... :wizard: :O3 :wizard: :O3 :wizard: :O3 :wizard: :O3