LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by ArkieDukie » November 1st, 2010, 10:15 pm

I have the answer to my voting dilemma! One of my Facebook friends posted the following link on my page: http://www.cthulhu.org/
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 1st, 2010, 10:18 pm

bluebutton wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I've been cramming for tomorrow's exam, a.k.a. the election. How many of you are stuck with races where you don't like any of the candidates and are voting for the lesser of the evils? (I'm trying to keep this as neutral and PPB-free as possible, so apologies in advance if I crossed the line.)
I have/had (voted early) a different set of problems -- a giant slew of judgeships to vote for. 1) I have no idea what makes a person more qualified for judge than another 2) Even if I did know, how would I find out who was more qualified outside of their own websites? Also, this is my first time voting in a new state -- lots of weirdness all around.

I vote cuz I feel it's a civic duty, but man, I feel dirty afterwards.
BB, I feel the same way. I work in VA, but live in NC (having moved here 3 years ago), and almost everything I know about the election, is about the candidates who cover where I work. I didn't even know the name of the guys who represent me in Raleigh, because I still think of Richmond as where people I vote for go.

In VA, where I voted from the time I was 18 until I was past 40, judges are appointed by the legislature. I'm in the same boat as you. How do I know who's qualified? I didn't even know who was running for judgeships until I looked it up today, when I looked up the judicial candidates and the state legislative candidates.

I'm going to vote so I can whine about what the elected people do, but I don't feel all warm and fuzzy about the exercise, either.
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » November 2nd, 2010, 9:33 am

When it comes to any selection I can't/won't/don't have a clue about...I leave it blank.

some may say I should therefore stay home :twitch:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
captmojo

Post by captmojo » November 2nd, 2010, 9:37 am

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote: Thinking about taking an empty 6 pack out around the neighborhood, ringing doorbells on whatever houses still have their lights on and saying, "trick or beer." :ymblushing:
My friend Julie and I did that in California. Except we said, "Trick or Drink." We also strategically planned and timed our bathroom stops along the way.

It made our Trick or Treating experience with the kids a lot more fun.

I also brought a few beers and a bottle opener along in one of those plastic pumpkins. (~~) :beer:
This is what the empties are for. :twitch: :doh: Sorry. Wrong gender. :whistle:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 2nd, 2010, 9:40 am

captmojo wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote: Thinking about taking an empty 6 pack out around the neighborhood, ringing doorbells on whatever houses still have their lights on and saying, "trick or beer." :ymblushing:
My friend Julie and I did that in California. Except we said, "Trick or Drink." We also strategically planned and timed our bathroom stops along the way.

It made our Trick or Treating experience with the kids a lot more fun.

I also brought a few beers and a bottle opener along in one of those plastic pumpkins. (~~) :beer:
This is what the empties are for. :twitch: :doh: Sorry. Wrong gender. :whistle:
Guys actually DO that? How do you fit--

Never mind.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » November 2nd, 2010, 9:52 am

When I find that situation (where I generally don't like any of the candidates), I generally look at the other side of the checks and balances equation to help me decide. I don't have a lot of confidence in Obama right now, so I'm going to vote for the Republicans this time. The idea of Obama with a Democrat dominated congress terrifies me. I am generally a Republican, but I voted for a Dem or two against Bush II when he was president to try to help keep him in check. I didn't think he was nearly as bad a president as many do, but he was another that I didn't want to see with a congress dominated by his side of the aisle.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 2nd, 2010, 10:37 am

bluebutton wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I've been cramming for tomorrow's exam, a.k.a. the election. How many of you are stuck with races where you don't like any of the candidates and are voting for the lesser of the evils? (I'm trying to keep this as neutral and PPB-free as possible, so apologies in advance if I crossed the line.)
I have/had (voted early) a different set of problems -- a giant slew of judgeships to vote for. 1) I have no idea what makes a person more qualified for judge than another 2) Even if I did know, how would I find out who was more qualified outside of their own websites? Also, this is my first time voting in a new state -- lots of weirdness all around.

I've got a lot of judges on the ballot also. I usually go with the theory that if I haven't heard of them, then they are probably doing a decent job and I either vote to retain them or don't vote on any judges. Don't know how valid the theory is but it is what I use. Any lawyers have an opinion on the theory?
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 2nd, 2010, 10:40 am

bjornolf wrote:When I find that situation (where I generally don't like any of the candidates), I generally look at the other side of the checks and balances equation to help me decide. I don't have a lot of confidence in Obama right now, so I'm going to vote for the Republicans this time. The idea of Obama with a Democrat dominated congress terrifies me. I am generally a Republican, but I voted for a Dem or two against Bush II when he was president to try to help keep him in check. I didn't think he was nearly as bad a president as many do, but he was another that I didn't want to see with a congress dominated by his side of the aisle.

@};-
I'm with you on not wanting the same party in control of the White House and Congress. I'm probably holding onto the false hope that they will remember what they learned in kindergarten - how to play well with others. I'd like to see the two "sides" meet somewhere in the middle.
Life is good!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 2nd, 2010, 12:02 pm

Virginia doesn't elect judges; they're appointed by the General Assembly and then re-appointed (or not) every 6 years. I have heard that elected judges are more responsive to attorneys than appointed ones because they don't want to make competition out of fellow attorneys. I can't speak to that, though; maybe CathyCA can. Here in Mayberry we don't seem to have problems finding judges when we need them.

Even the Court of Appeals justices and the Supreme Court justices are appointed by the Governor, and approved by the General Assembly.

When dinosaurs roamed the earth, I thought appointing judges kept the politics out of it. Then my eyes were opened several years ago. I told my mom it was too bad I spent all that money on law school-if they'd supported the right party with the same amount of money, I could have gone to law school at Mail Order U. and gotten a judgeship.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 2nd, 2010, 12:21 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
bluebutton wrote:

I've got a lot of judges on the ballot also. I usually go with the theory that if I haven't heard of them, then they are probably doing a decent job and I either vote to retain them or don't vote on any judges. Don't know how valid the theory is but it is what I use. Any lawyers have an opinion on the theory?
Puh-lease, if you're going to vote for a judge, do your research and find out who's qualified! You would not believe the headaches we had back in the early 1990s in Wake County--people who had never practiced in District Court were elected to District Court judgeships.

There are some incredibly inexperienced people running for judge in North Carolina. If you don't know your candidates, call your favorite attorney (or PM her) and ask questions.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 2nd, 2010, 12:27 pm

captmojo wrote:When it comes to any selection I can't/won't/don't have a clue about...I leave it blank.

some may say I should therefore stay home :twitch:
Isn't that the wrong strategy on SAT's?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 2nd, 2010, 12:29 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:I'm with you on not wanting the same party in control of the White House and Congress. I'm probably holding onto the false hope that they will remember what they learned in kindergarten - how to play well with others. I'd like to see the two "sides" meet somewhere in the middle.
If I might twist something that Rick Pitino once said:
Henry Clay isn't coming through that door.
;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » November 2nd, 2010, 1:06 pm

CathyCA wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
bluebutton wrote: quote="ArkieDukie" I've been cramming for tomorrow's exam, a.k.a. the election. How many of you are stuck with races where you don't like any of the candidates and are voting for the lesser of the evils? (I'm trying to keep this as neutral and PPB-free as possible, so apologies in advance if I crossed the line.) /quote

Puh-lease, if you're going to vote for a judge, do your research and find out who's qualified! You would not believe the headaches we had back in the early 1990s in Wake County--people who had never practiced in District Court were elected to District Court judgeships.

There are some incredibly inexperienced people running for judge in North Carolina. If you don't know your candidates, call your favorite attorney (or PM her) and ask questions.
I should clarify - judges are originally appointed and the general electorate only votes at the end of their term on whether to retain them as a judge. We don't have two or more candidates running against each other for a seat on the bench. In the past, any problematic judges have been publicized by the local bar association.
Life is good!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 2nd, 2010, 4:00 pm

bluebutton wrote:I have/had (voted early) a different set of problems -- a giant slew of judgeships to vote for.
I had the same issue, and I left them all blank. If I can't make an informed decision I'd rather not make any decision. By the way, two volunteers were handing out leaflets with a list of the "conservative judges" and "Democratic judges" (as opposed to liberal..I thought it was interesting how both defined their candidates). I didn't take either sheet. A name on a list doesn't tell me anything unless I go do my own research.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » November 2nd, 2010, 4:12 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bluebutton wrote:I have/had (voted early) a different set of problems -- a giant slew of judgeships to vote for.
I had the same issue, and I left them all blank. If I can't make an informed decision I'd rather not make any decision. By the way, two volunteers were handing out leaflets with a list of the "conservative judges" and "Democratic judges" (as opposed to liberal..I thought it was interesting how both defined their candidates). I didn't take either sheet. A name on a list doesn't tell me anything unless I go do my own research.
Well done, sir.

I didn't want their stinky old free mints either. Nor, the cute little 'I Voted' stickers.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 2nd, 2010, 4:44 pm

captmojo wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Well done, sir.

I didn't want their stinky old free mints either. Nor, the cute little 'I Voted' stickers.
Well, thank you, Ozzie, for not sticking us with bad judges.

And Captain! You didn't want the "I Voted" sticker? That's the best part of the voting experience: getting the sticker when you're finished! :D

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 2nd, 2010, 4:48 pm

CathyCA wrote:
captmojo wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I have/had (voted early) a different set of problems -- a giant slew of judgeships to vote for.
Well done, sir.

And Captain! You didn't want the "I Voted" sticker? That's the best part of the voting experience: getting the sticker when you're finished! :D
You're welcome, but I think your thanks was misdirected.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
captmojo

Post by captmojo » November 2nd, 2010, 6:04 pm

I don't care for the sticker.
Now on the other hand, should they want to ink-stain my finger...I would understand.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » November 3rd, 2010, 2:05 am

CathyCA wrote:
captmojo wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: I had the same issue, and I left them all blank. If I can't make an informed decision I'd rather not make any decision. By the way, two volunteers were handing out leaflets with a list of the "conservative judges" and "Democratic judges" (as opposed to liberal..I thought it was interesting how both defined their candidates). I didn't take either sheet. A name on a list doesn't tell me anything unless I go do my own research.
Well done, sir.

One of the benefits of voting by mail -- I sit with my ballot on one side of me, and my laptop on the other (plus the printed voter guide), and do my research as I fill in my ballot. Took me 2+ hours to vote this election (a lot of state/local initiatives.)

The disadvantage? No sticker. :(
captmojo

Post by captmojo » November 3rd, 2010, 6:25 am

The 'no sticker' thing comes down from my Dad. Whenever he made a contribution toward anything, he wasn't so willing to make a big to-do about it. He took this attitude from his time in the Army Air Corp through to the time he passed away. He would explain it as 1) the military/ We all did what we had to do. 2) any offering to the church/ Our church had so many people that would wear their contributions on their sleeves as a badge of honor that they belived should present them with a more special place, in Heaven and on Earth, that it really turned him off. His attitude there was that his contributions were something he felt compelled to do from the goodness of his heart and they were a matter to be celebrated by only himself and God. He didn't feel the need to make others feel that they might be any less of a person for possibly not being able to do more. Others in the church had brass plaques hammered onto the end of pews and painted onto stained-glass windows. He didn't think they were there for the glory of the right beings.
#:-s
My fingers are tired. :twitch:
Nothing personal against anyone else here. If the sticker is your thing...go for it. It just isn't mine.