Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » November 15th, 2010, 10:06 am

Eye of the Hawk Select Ale-Mendocino

I think I reviewed this after the 1st or 2nd Brunchgate. Just wanted to pad my post count and say I enjoyed it again and thanks to AW for his fine selection :D. Plus, I see bluebeer is on line and he always reads this thread. :D :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » November 15th, 2010, 12:35 pm

devildeac wrote:Eye of the Hawk Select Ale-Mendocino

I think I reviewed this after the 1st or 2nd Brunchgate. Just wanted to pad my post count and say I enjoyed it again and thanks to AW for his fine selection :D. Plus, I see bluebeer is on line and he always reads this thread. :D :D
I read with great jealousy after every Brunchgate :D :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 15th, 2010, 4:54 pm

bluebeer wrote:

The invitation is always open.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 17th, 2010, 9:39 am

#9-Magic Hat

IBU=20
ABV=5.1%

The rest is up to you, Ozzie...

:-w
:whistle:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 17th, 2010, 9:52 am

I found a 12 pack of long lost Sweet Sixteens last night. Their will be 6 of them at the unc tailgate. :D
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 17th, 2010, 9:54 am

devildeac wrote:#9-Magic Hat

IBU=20
ABV=5.1%

Ymm! Thought I was drinking a glass of papaya juice at breakfast! Could have had several :D Seriously, if you're looking to drink "BEER", this isn't it, but if you want to drink something that is called a beer but is very pleasant, drinks very easily and is smooth and sweet without being sickly sweet, and you like papaya juice (or perhaps apricot?), this is your beer! I'd never had anything like it before; well, maybe a white zin or Matuese Rose' if you equate it to a wine.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 17th, 2010, 9:55 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I found a 12 pack of long lost Sweet Sixteens last night. Their will be 6 of them at the unc tailgate. :D
=p~ :whistle: ^:)^

Trading time on 11/27?
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » November 17th, 2010, 2:07 pm

devildeac wrote:
bluebeer wrote:

The invitation is always open.
I appreciate it..hopefully one day I'll be able to take you up on it..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » November 17th, 2010, 2:22 pm

Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Grand Cru...I believe this is the last of the 30th anniversary brews and it might be my favorite of the set. According to SN, this is a dry-hopped blend of Oak Aged Bigfoot, Celebration, and SN Pale Ale. 750ml corked and caged bottle. Pours a rich amber red with a nice frothy head. Big hop taste initially with a lot of pine and some citrus. This is balanced well with a fairly strong vanilla flavor and some sweeter malts. More hoppiness in the finish though not overwhelming bitter..the oak aging is fairly noticeable and helps to smooth it out overall. I really liked this beer a lot. It reminds me a lot of an imperial red but with more of a malt balance.. ABV is 9.2%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 17th, 2010, 5:53 pm

bluebeer wrote:Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Grand Cru...I believe this is the last of the 30th anniversary brews and it might be my favorite of the set. According to SN, this is a dry-hopped blend of Oak Aged Bigfoot, Celebration, and SN Pale Ale. 750ml corked and caged bottle. Pours a rich amber red with a nice frothy head. Big hop taste initially with a lot of pine and some citrus. This is balanced well with a fairly strong vanilla flavor and some sweeter malts. More hoppiness in the finish though not overwhelming bitter..the oak aging is fairly noticeable and helps to smooth it out overall. I really liked this beer a lot. It reminds me a lot of an imperial red but with more of a malt balance.. ABV is 9.2%.
I'm still harboring the Black Barleywine in my "cellar." I'll be looking for this in Raleigh soon.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 17th, 2010, 8:42 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:#9-Magic Hat

IBU=20
ABV=5.1%

Ymm! Thought I was drinking a glass of papaya juice at breakfast! Could have had several :D Seriously, if you're looking to drink "BEER", this isn't it, but if you want to drink something that is called a beer but is very pleasant, drinks very easily and is smooth and sweet without being sickly sweet, and you like papaya juice (or perhaps apricot?), this is your beer! I'd never had anything like it before; well, maybe a white zin or Matuese Rose' if you equate it to a wine.
These are pretty darned good observations from a CTNer whose favorite Brunchgate beverage is a budlite. :clap:

I had a sip of Ozzie's draft and generally don't like Magic Hat brews but found this to be quite pleasant. It's called a not-quite-pale-ale therefore the low IBU. The fruitiness was a real surprise. I think he even said mango at one point during his tasting.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 17th, 2010, 8:54 pm

Yakima Glory-Victory Brewing

I thought I had tasted this ale before, especially looking it up on their website and seeing it was formerly called Yakima Twilight. I'm not sure I have ever sampled it now. I'm not sure whether this is a dark IIPA or a slightly lighter old ale. The 4 hops (not specified) are from the Yakima Valley in Washington and impart mostly strong floral aromas and tastes. The dark, roasted malts (probably mostly chocolate malts) lend a dark brown sugar and dried, dark fruit presence with a mediumn to dark brown color. The balance is well done. I'd estimate IBU in the 60-70 range and the ABV is 8.7%. This was a draft brew so the mouth-feel was almost silky with a modest head. I had this with a chicken cordon bleu sandwich and the non-garlic fries at Tyler's before the MBB game last PM and it started the evening well. Try a pint or a 12 ounce bottle if you can find one.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » November 19th, 2010, 10:46 am

Stone Lukcy Basartd (Actual spelling and not a product of me having too much of this last night)---This is a blend of Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard which is then oak aged and dry hopped. Pours a thick reddish amber color--darker than I remember either of the bastard beers...The taste is a big punch of citrusy hops. Some malty balance with a bit of sweetness but nowhere near the balance of plain double bastard which for me has the best balance for a big hop bomb. The finish has a nice piney hop bite with a good deal of bitterness. Not picking up too much of the oak. Very good beer but I think I prefer the other bastards (regular, oak aged, and double) better. 8.5% ABV...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 19th, 2010, 12:25 pm

Seventeen-Avery

Avery takes a step outside the box, err, bomber, and brews a black lager. If I hadn't read the label, Ida thought I was drinking a porter. It pours a bit lighter and thinner than a porter but way darker and thicker than a lager. Two German hops and plenty of chocolate malts and notes of mocha and darkly browned/almost burned biscuits. I detect a hint of smokiness, too. I'd guess the IBU to be 20-30 and the ABV is 8.69% on the bottle and 7.69% on their web site. I coulda sworn it tasted closer to 8.71%( 8-| ). So, I guess that really qualifies it as an imperial black lager. It would make a nice match with BBQ/smoked fare. This was a trader with CB&B. I already had one from a month or so ago but had not tasted it yet. I'll bet his is better than the one I bought so I'll use it as a future trader with my drug rep buddy at the office or just give it to my son over Thanksgiving. Thanks! A fine selection.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 20th, 2010, 9:49 am

Discovery Channel at 10 Eastern tomorrow night launches its new series, BREWMASTERS. The promos feature DOGFISHHEAD.
http://www.examiner.com/craft-beer-in-a ... ry-channel
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » November 21st, 2010, 9:26 pm

:9f:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 21st, 2010, 9:31 pm

captmojo wrote::9f:
Hey, that's not beer!

:9f:
captmojo

Post by captmojo » November 21st, 2010, 9:50 pm

:9f: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :9f:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 24th, 2010, 11:38 pm

Java Head Stout-Troegs Brewing

I'm too tired and lazy to review so here are the brewer's thought's:

Tröegs JavaHead Stout

Now a Year-Round Brew! JavaHead is based off of our original 2005 oatmeal stout. After the boil the hot wort passes through our hopback vessel packed full of whole leaf hops and a bed of coffee beans - akin to a French press - intensifying the coffee nose and releasing hints of coffee flavor. The result is a lush oatmeal mouthfeel balanced with cocoa, roast and subtle coffee flavors.

Serving Suggestions: Temp: 50-55° F | Glassware:Pint Glass or Mug | 7.5% abv
This was a trader from CB&B and an excellent choice. Coffee nose and bittersweet chocolate tastes with expresso, too. Very mild bitterness but I'd still like a splash of half and half and a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, please =)) . Hope this doesn't keep me awake tonight. This was a nice combination with some chocolate chip cupcakes for a late dessert as I watched the 2nd half of last night's game.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » November 25th, 2010, 7:49 am

devildeac wrote:
I'm too tired and lazy to review so here are the brewer's thought's:

Were you too tired for this................... :9f: ???????????????????????

Thou art smitten.jpg
Thou art smitten.jpg (2.23 KiB) Viewed 347 times
:9f: I think not! :9f: