LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by bjornolf » September 7th, 2010, 7:13 am

Speaking of VT, three plays last night gave Boise a 17 point lead. They had a fumbled snap, a blocked punt (very un-Beamerlike), and a foolish running into the punter (which was a great acting job by the punter...that guy BARELY touched him...a feather must knock that punter over) that extended a scoring drive. They gave a great offense a ridiculously short field twice in the first five minutes of the game, and they paid with the game for it. For a team that only returned a few starters, though, they played really well after that for the first game of the year. If they can fix those little things, which I think they can, and play like they did for 80% of that game, I think they'll be a force to be reckoned with in the ACC this year. With UNC's woes, I could see them coming out of the ACC come January.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 7th, 2010, 7:36 am

CathyCA wrote:
Like one of the posters OY, when I first saw the title of that thread, I thought it was a poll to get rid of the men's a capella singing group.

L-)
I thought about posting a link to The Pitchforks, too.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 7th, 2010, 7:41 am

bjornolf wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
devildeac wrote:Why?
Well, it's not a requirement.

I rarely pull against ACC teams (except for the holes down the road) but I almost hope the Hokies lose so they'll lose those awful uniforms.
What a disappointing ending for the Hokies. They played their butts off to come back, and then lost because they, once again, have receivers that can't catch when it really matters. And no, I'm not talking about just the one play at the end. There were SEVERAL drops that would have led to potential scores. Not to mention a HORRIBLE personal foul call on Boise's last drive. Not saying they wouldn't have scored anyway, but as a former player, that call was AWFUL. I'm sorry, but when a guy steps ONE foot barely out of bounds with another player COMPLETELY shielding the defender's, then comes back in and tiptoes down the sidelines with 95K people screaming, he's NOT gonna hear the whistle unless the refs are running toward the play doing their hand waving thing and blowing the heck out of their whistles. The Bronco receiver totally baited him into that hit. That call had me jumping up and down.

And the sports shows this morning have done nothing but talk about how awesome VT's new unis were last night. I kinda liked them myself, but I'm partial to black.

The question is, can Boise deal with the pressure that's gonna mount throughout the year, or are they gonna blow it against one of the cupcakes on their schedule? They've got the hopes and dreams of EVERY school in EVERY non-BCS conference laying on them, and they're gonna be the favorite in EVERY game this year, a HUGE favorite in most of them. Can they avoid the USC syndrome of blowing it against a mediocre team halfway through the season in that pressure cooker that's just gonna get worse and worse as the media attention and pressure ramps up? They're lucky they have so many cupcakes on their schedule, or I can almost guarantee you they'd blow one.

@};-
I'm never gonna argue against PF calls against any of Beamer's dirty players after they repeatedly hit Thad after the whistle and OOB when we played there about 4 years ago. Totally intentional late hits to take him out of the game, which they eventually did with a concussion after about the 3rd or 4th one.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 7th, 2010, 10:03 am

All punters are taught to fall over like they've been struck by lightning with the least little brush-by, and the would-be punt blocker did hit the punter. I wasn't surprised at that call in the least. It was stupid on the VT player's part, and then he compounded it with the late hit on the same play.

In the end, VT usually manages to be close, but can't seem to make the one big play when it counts.

BTW, half this courthouse went to VT. I was surprised the flags weren't at half-staff this morning.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 7th, 2010, 10:14 am

lawgrad91 wrote: BTW, half this courthouse went to VT. I was surprised the flags weren't at half-staff this morning.
That's half-mast. Although half-staff would not be surprising either, I'm sure the urge to call in sick was pretty great. =))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 7th, 2010, 10:36 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote: BTW, half this courthouse went to VT. I was surprised the flags weren't at half-staff this morning.
That's half-mast. Although half-staff would not be surprising either, I'm sure the urge to call in sick was pretty great. =))
The lack of cars in the parking lot make it appear the place is half-staff. I know one bailiff actually made the trip to the game, but I don't know about anyone else.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 7th, 2010, 10:38 am

I always thought "half-mast" only referred to flags onboard ships, and "half-staff" referred to flags on dry land.

Where is Jarhead for a ruling?
Iron Duke #1471997.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 7th, 2010, 10:42 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Growing up in the military, I recall hearing half-staff a lot when referring to flying the flag.
I worship the Blue Devil!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 7th, 2010, 10:43 am

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/ ... -000-.html

It is half-staff, as noted in the law above. I'm thinking half-mast is strictly a naval term.
I worship the Blue Devil!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 7th, 2010, 10:44 am

TillyGalore wrote:http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/ ... -000-.html

It is half-staff, as noted in the law above. I'm thinking half-mast is strictly a naval term.
Well cool...I'll go to bed tonight knowing something new..thanks!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 7th, 2010, 10:45 am

lawgrad91 wrote:All punters are taught to fall over like they've been struck by lightning with the least little brush-by, and the would-be punt blocker did hit the punter. I wasn't surprised at that call in the least. It was stupid on the VT player's part, and then he compounded it with the late hit on the same play.

In the end, VT usually manages to be close, but can't seem to make the one big play when it counts.

BTW, half this courthouse went to VT. I was surprised the flags weren't at half-staff this morning.
Oh, please, he didn't "hit" him, he brushed his thigh with his hand. And yes, the personal foul was bone-headed, but if the ref didn't throw the flag for the running into the punter, the Hokies would have kept the ball, just 15 yards further back.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 7th, 2010, 10:53 am

devildeac wrote: I'm never gonna argue against PF calls against any of Beamer's dirty players after they repeatedly hit Thad after the whistle and OOB when we played there about 4 years ago. Totally intentional late hits to take him out of the game, which they eventually did with a concussion after about the 3rd or 4th one.
I didn't see that game, but I won't argue it. However, that was 4 years ago. There probably aren't but two or three players left from that team. I will say that the Hokies had SEVERAL chances to take late shots at Boise's QB, many without getting flagged, last night and were generally very good about pulling up. The late hit call on Boise's last TD drive was a joke. The player was running down the sideline in bounds, trying to make more yardage. HE didn't even hear the whistle. The only REALLY dirty play I saw last night was by a Boise player on a kickoff return early in the game. They had the returner wrapped up, the refs blew the whistle, and then a Boise player walked up to him, grabbed him with both hands around the head, twisted and threw him to the ground. That was a FAR more blatant than the wide receiver hit. And the refs didn't throw the flag on that one.

Speaking of Thad, he got a mention on First Take the other week. Skip Bayless was talking about St. Louis' win over New England in the pre-season game, and he said, "Even that little kid from Duke marched them down the field and scored." Thad also made the roster of 53. Congrats, man.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » September 7th, 2010, 11:17 am

TillyGalore wrote:http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/ ... -000-.html

Cool, I've always wondered which is correct.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 7th, 2010, 12:03 pm

bjornolf wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:All punters are taught to fall over like they've been struck by lightning with the least little brush-by, and the would-be punt blocker did hit the punter. I wasn't surprised at that call in the least. It was stupid on the VT player's part, and then he compounded it with the late hit on the same play.

Oh, please, he didn't "hit" him, he brushed his thigh with his hand. And yes, the personal foul was bone-headed, but if the ref didn't throw the flag for the running into the punter, the Hokies would have kept the ball, just 15 yards further back.

@};-
If you say so. I thought he got the punter up on the shoulder or upper arm. I do agree it was a glancing blow, at most.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 7th, 2010, 12:39 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
bjornolf wrote:

@};-
If you say so. I thought he got the punter up on the shoulder or upper arm. I do agree it was a glancing blow, at most.
I saw our punter "bumped" after one of his kicks on Saturday and he crumpled like a recent former tarheel all-american flopper and he got no flag. Didn't deserve one as I think he had both feet planted by that time.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » September 7th, 2010, 3:29 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:All punters are taught to fall over like they've been struck by lightning with the least little brush-by,

Since most kickers were soccer players at one point I doubt they would have to be taught this as diving is as much a part of soccer as is grass.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 7th, 2010, 5:26 pm

colchar wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:All punters are taught to fall over like they've been struck by lightning with the least little brush-by,

Since most kickers were soccer players at one point I doubt they would have to be taught this as diving is as much a part of soccer as is grass.
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) Too true!

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » September 7th, 2010, 7:46 pm

Does too true = true dat?
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » September 7th, 2010, 7:50 pm

Cathy! I'll be at Jarvis on Sunday!
Class of 2014
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 7th, 2010, 8:22 pm

Rolvix wrote:Cathy! I'll be at Jarvis on Sunday!
Woo-hoo! I'll see you then!

What brings you to G-Vegas and Jarvis?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith