Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » October 29th, 2010, 7:56 am

25th Anniversary Ale-Bell's

I believe this could be best described as an American style old ale, or think about it as a barleywine. Mahogany-brown in color with a small head, this mildly syrup-y brew is rich with brown sugar and dark fruit tastes and a solid balance with some herbal hops. I'd guess the IBU to be 70-80 and the ABV is 8.5%. My only minor gripe would be that it is a bit "thin" for a barleywine. This would be tasty with BBQ beef, chicken or pork or in a snifter for dessert. Found a 6er of this at TW this week and won't hesitate for a moment to trade one, share one, sip one and lay one down for next year, too. Great minds think in parallel as CB&B bought one for me during his time in Hokietown. A solid selection.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 29th, 2010, 8:05 am

Bison Organic IPA last night: amber-gold-red color (strange, eh?), initially crisp, then a hop attack of bitters. Probably a 20-ish IBU count. Not a lingering bitterness; very crisp aftertaste, with much less bitterness.

FWIW, this year's bottled Schlafly Oatmeal Stout is a delight.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » October 29th, 2010, 10:06 am

What is the best "crappy" beer (i.e., inexpensive) out there?

I divert to the experts!

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 29th, 2010, 10:12 am

EarlJam wrote:What is the best "crappy" beer (i.e., inexpensive) out there?

I divert to the experts!

-EarlJam
The dark lagers have the most flavor. Michelob makes a pretty good dark beer, $10 for 12.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » October 29th, 2010, 10:13 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
EarlJam wrote:What is the best "crappy" beer (i.e., inexpensive) out there?

I divert to the experts!

-EarlJam
The dark lagers have the most flavor. Michelob makes a pretty good dark beer, $10 for 12.
I'll try that. Haven't had a Michelob in ages. That's a good price.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 29th, 2010, 6:10 pm

Small Batch 471, Breckenridge Brewery. One of the beers left in my cooler by DPSlaw a few weeks ago. Been sitting in my fridge long enough :D Pours with no head and just a slight foam on top, ie, a "power factor" of about .995. A darkish amber color, darker than I expected for an IPA, although it is "double hopped". Very citrusy taste, appropriate for a Halloween party perhaps? Which is timely since I'm going to one tonight. Slightly too bitter for my taste, but not too bad. Label says 9.2% ABV - cool! B-) Wish I had a couple more. hic! :happy-bouncyblue: B-) A couple more and I would care about them being bitter...
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 30th, 2010, 1:19 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Small Batch 471, Breckenridge Brewery. One of the beers left in my cooler by DPSlaw a few weeks ago. Been sitting in my fridge long enough :D Pours with no head and just a slight foam on top, ie, a "power factor" of about .995. A darkish amber color, darker than I expected for an IPA, although it is "double hopped". Very citrusy taste, appropriate for a Halloween party perhaps? Which is timely since I'm going to one tonight. Slightly too bitter for my taste, but not too bad. Label says 9.2% ABV - cool! B-) Wish I had a couple more. hic! :happy-bouncyblue: B-) A couple more and I would care about them being bitter...
That's impressive. I like the "slightly too bitter" part because, based on the style of that beer and prior tastings, I'd guess the IBU to be at least 60-70 and prolly higher as it is an IIPA and they are often 80-90 IBU. You're learning ol' fella. ;) :D ^:)^
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 30th, 2010, 1:21 am

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Small Batch 471, Breckenridge Brewery. One of the beers left in my cooler by DPSlaw a few weeks ago. Been sitting in my fridge long enough :D Pours with no head and just a slight foam on top, ie, a "power factor" of about .995. A darkish amber color, darker than I expected for an IPA, although it is "double hopped". Very citrusy taste, appropriate for a Halloween party perhaps? Which is timely since I'm going to one tonight. Slightly too bitter for my taste, but not too bad. Label says 9.2% ABV - cool! B-) Wish I had a couple more. hic! :happy-bouncyblue: B-) A couple more and I would care about them being bitter...
That's impressive. I like the "slightly too bitter" part because, based on the style of that beer and prior tastings, I'd guess the IBU to be at least 60-70 and prolly higher as it is an IIPA and they are often 80-90 IBU. You're learning ol' fella. ;) :D ^:)^
Made for a nice trader too!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 30th, 2010, 9:12 pm

Bourbon Barrel Stout-Clay Street Series-Bluegrass Brewing Company

I'm gonna guess this is this year's variety of the Jefferson Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout but it tastes rather different. It is not as dark and not as viscous as the Jefferson Reserve I had last year. The dark chocolate is a bit less prominent, the bourbon a bit more up front, but not as boozey as the Kentucky Brewing Company product. Aromas of oak and vanilla are soft. I'd guess the IBU to be 50-60, a bit low for an imperial stout. The ABV is about 8%, also a bit low. I'd prefer the Jefferson Reserve recipe but liked this trader from CB&B from his virginia trip.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 30th, 2010, 10:06 pm

devildeac wrote:Backwoods Bastard-Founder's Brewing-This is a fascinating creation. My guess is that it is a variation of their Dirty Bastard which is a scotch type ale with a bit of peat and smoke. This blends nicely with the oak aging in whiskey barrels which gives it a bit of vanilla, a bit of oak and a moderate amount of boozey bourbon flavor. There are a ton of dark cherries in the brew with very mild bitterness and an IBU of 50. The ABV of 10.2% makes this quite a sipper so I'd serve it at cellar temperature in a snifter with a plate of fruit or some soft, mild cheeses for dessert. Might be heavenly with some chocolate covered strawberries. Found this in Asheville and bought 4 bottles in January. I'll see if I can save or trade any...
Backwoods Bastard-2009 edition

Not much different 7 months later. Perhaps a bit smoother with a bit more bourbon notes to it. Maybe a bit of medium to dark chocolate, too. I think I still have a bottle of the 2009 brewing and will report back same time next year on this one :D. The 2010 offering is at TW now and a 4 pack is "in the cellar" and CB&B has one of them ;) :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 30th, 2010, 10:24 pm

Hell Hath No Fury Ale-Bell's Brewing

Completely new brew to me. I have never seen/heard of it before this week. Pours an almost black color and opaque with a small tan head. Fairly intense java nose and taste with some dark chocolate aroma and palate. I'd estimate the IBU to be about 50 and the ABV is 7.5% so it's on par with a rich Belgian dubbel, more than a traditional staout but a shade less than an imperial stout. Here's the brewery's notes:

Originally conceived along the lines of a Belgian Dubbel, Hell Hath No Fury... Ale morphed during development into something entirely different. Blending a pair of Belgian abbey-style yeasts into a recipe more akin to a roasty stout, Hell Hath No Fury... Ale offers up warm, roasted notes of coffee & dark chocolate together with the fruity & clove-like aromas.

CB&B got one of these in his trader today and I'm gonna bet he really likes this, too. Forget the flourless chocolate cake, I'm having one of these at almost room temperature for dessert right now. There are not many ales from Bell's that I have not liked.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 31st, 2010, 11:30 am

devildeac wrote:Hell Hath No Fury Ale-Bell's Brewing

Completely new brew to me. I have never seen/heard of it before this week. Pours an almost black color and opaque with a small tan head. Fairly intense java nose and taste with some dark chocolate aroma and palate. I'd estimate the IBU to be about 50 and the ABV is 7.5% so it's on par with a rich Belgian dubbel, more than a traditional staout but a shade less than an imperial stout. Here's the brewery's notes:

Originally conceived along the lines of a Belgian Dubbel, Hell Hath No Fury... Ale morphed during development into something entirely different. Blending a pair of Belgian abbey-style yeasts into a recipe more akin to a roasty stout, Hell Hath No Fury... Ale offers up warm, roasted notes of coffee & dark chocolate together with the fruity & clove-like aromas.

CB&B got one of these in his trader today and I'm gonna bet he really likes this, too. Forget the flourless chocolate cake, I'm having one of these at almost room temperature for dessert right now. There are not many ales from Bell's that I have not liked.
From the back label: A brew that give you either sympathy for the devil or the courage to face him :ymdevil: :ymdevil: . Goes especially well with your favorite lost my girl/truck/dog/trailer song :)) =)) . And it's brewed in Michigan, not in the South/west. :)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 31st, 2010, 12:22 pm

Firestone DBA (Double Barrel Ale)-Firestone Walker Brewing

"Passion for the Pale" is on the label but this one was a bit thin for a PA. Amber-orange color, small head, a bit o'
pine and resin and a mild biscuit-y balance. Good for a meal with grilled beef, pork or chicken, maybe even with a mild curry. IBU about 30-40 and the ABV is 5%. A solid session ale received as a trader from CB&B from his recent adventures in Hokietown.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » October 31st, 2010, 12:35 pm

devildeac wrote: From the back label: A brew that give you either sympathy for the devil or the courage to face him :ymdevil: :ymdevil: . Goes especially well with your favorite lost my girl/truck/dog/trailer song :)) =)) . And it's brewed in Michigan, not in the South/west. :)) =))
:violin:
So if you meet me, have some courtesy
Have some sympathy and some taste.
Use all your well learned politics
Or I'll lay your soul to waste.
:ymdevil:

:twitch:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 31st, 2010, 12:37 pm

captmojo wrote:
devildeac wrote: From the back label: A brew that give you either sympathy for the devil or the courage to face him :ymdevil: :ymdevil: . Goes especially well with your favorite lost my girl/truck/dog/trailer song :)) =)) . And it's brewed in Michigan, not in the South/west. :)) =))
:violin:
So if you meet me, have some courtesy
Have some sympathy and some taste.
Use all your well learned politics
Or I'll lay your soul to waste.
:ymdevil:

:twitch:
Pleased to meet you...
Exactly what I thought when I read the label and decided to post it here :D .
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » October 31st, 2010, 7:58 pm

devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:Backwoods Bastard-Founder's Brewing-This is a fascinating creation. My guess is that it is a variation of their Dirty Bastard which is a scotch type ale with a bit of peat and smoke. This blends nicely with the oak aging in whiskey barrels which gives it a bit of vanilla, a bit of oak and a moderate amount of boozey bourbon flavor. There are a ton of dark cherries in the brew with very mild bitterness and an IBU of 50. The ABV of 10.2% makes this quite a sipper so I'd serve it at cellar temperature in a snifter with a plate of fruit or some soft, mild cheeses for dessert. Might be heavenly with some chocolate covered strawberries. Found this in Asheville and bought 4 bottles in January. I'll see if I can save or trade any...
Backwoods Bastard-2009 edition

Not much different 7 months later. Perhaps a bit smoother with a bit more bourbon notes to it. Maybe a bit of medium to dark chocolate, too. I think I still have a bottle of the 2009 brewing and will report back same time next year on this one :D. The 2010 offering is at TW now and a 4 pack is "in the cellar" and CB&B has one of them ;) :D .
I love this beer..I only have one left in my cellar so I'm hoping to grab at least 1 or 2 bottles when it hits the shelves locally..It's one of those beers though that they don't even put on the shelves around here...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 31st, 2010, 9:05 pm

Founders Harvest Ale "wet-hopped ale".
Devildeac and I split a 4 pack this weekend, and I'm enjoying my 1st one now. 70 IBU's, 6.5% ABV. Lots of taste, thick..I'd even call it "oily"..which would make sense if it's brewed with fresh hops. Has every hop quality that you can imagine..especially the citrus bite that overloads it. Light pale yellow in color, crisp white head with great retention. Floral flavor and aromas. It was $12 for the 4 pack, which I think is high. Having tasted it, I'd feel better off paying that for a 6 pack, but if you compare it to SN's Torpedo (which it compares well to) than even that is high. I do get that they are using wet hops, so I'm sure that affects their cost as well, but I'd feel better with at least 6 beers. Still..the price is my only complaint, it's a good brew and given the right circumstances I'd buy it again.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 1st, 2010, 8:58 pm

devildeac wrote:Cherry Stout-Atwater Block Brewery

Another mixed bag review. This has the color/flavor/consistency of a porter and not a stout. Not a bad thing but I expect more mocha from a porter and a darker, thicker pour from a stout. The sour cherry taste is late and is certainly not medicinal. There is little espresso or chocolate taste to this "alleged" stout. I'd guess the ABV to be about 6% and the IBU about 50. Not a bad brew to try during a tasting but not worth a 6er.
I won't mix bag my review. :ymtongue:
Thin brew, too light on the cherry flavor to make much note of it, and add probable spoilage (lots of foam, took a while to pour). This was bottled Jan of 2010, and I don't think it held up very well. I would like to give it another shot with a more recent bottling, just to hope this one is an aberation.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 1st, 2010, 10:52 pm

Tripel Overhead-Mother Earth Brewing

A new brewery in Kinston, NC, and, so far, I have liked what I have sampled. I had a sip or two of their IPA several months ago and then Cathy's reject ( ;) :D ) Endless River, their kolsch-style ale. This brew is pretty representative of a Belgian style triple/tripel ale. It is a cloudy orange-amber in color with a wonderful nose of orange zest. There is a hint of pepper and I think some coriander, too. I'm guessing the IBU about 30 and the ABV is a fairly standard 9% but not really boozey. I'd have this with a plate of fresh fruit before dinner, with some fish and pineapple salsa for dinner or in a snifter after dinner with or without a fruit tart. CB&B got one of these in his trader so he's up next ;) . :whistle: :-w

On their web site, they also list this as a bourbon barrel aged limited release. I'd love to find a 4 pack of this and share the love with a couple other folks, too.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » November 2nd, 2010, 8:14 am

Big beer day for me today as I get to finally try what is considered one of the world's top brews--Westveleteren 12. My brother-in-law and I are heading to a Trappist tasting..Here's the lineup..
Rochefort 6
Westmalle Tripel
Achel Extra
Orval
Westveleteren 12

Westveleteren can generally only be purchased directly from the abbey in Belgium (or on Ebay) and the 12 is their Quad. Should be a great time..I'll report in tomorrow..