Moral Support Needed

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: Moral Support Needed

Post by windsor » August 27th, 2009, 7:46 pm

captmojo wrote:I have been told by several 'formers', that the quitter needs to have open access to available cigarettes in so as to prove themselves best able to refuse the temptation. As the temptation becomes less and less taxing, it becomes a natural thing. My father stopped, cold turkey, back in 1980. Right up until the day he died, he said he wanted one so badly he felt as though he could eat one. I've heard of those that stopped and had available smokes around to refuse, didn't feel the way my dad did.
I would stronlgy disagree with that - I wouldn't hold AA meetings in the local bar or a weight watchers meeting at a bakery. All of the formers I know of are OK around cigarettes NOW but it took them some time to get past wanting one every second. I know people who were like your Dad...they quit and the craving never went away...I also know a couple who smoked a lot for years and woke up day and said 'I'm done' threw them out and never looked back. I even know one or two who smoke when they are around other smokers - when they aren't they can go weeks/months without wanting one. These people are warped.

Cigarettes are around...I walk through the smoking area when I go building to building at work. The carton of cigarettes (sealed pack is different than an open one somehow) is about a two feet from me right now. It isn't like I"m in a bubble...but I don't think right now I could sit around the old patio table with Mr. Windsor while he smoked and not REALLY want one. Not sure if I'd have one or not, but I"m not ready to risk that. One of things any quitting program I've ever seen has you do is get rid of all the ashtrays ,cigarettes etc and stay away from smoking situations. Of course they also tell you never ever to have another (like AA and never having another drink) that is true for most people (almost all of the 'I quit and went back' people I know started with 'one...just one' and it was game over)...the opposite of that is my buddy Lynne who quit a three pack a day habit 12 years ago...except for 2. One with a morning coffee, one before bed. She never goes beyond 2 - hasn't in 12 years. She's warped too. :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 27th, 2009, 9:14 pm

windsor wrote:
I would stronlgy disagree with that - I wouldn't hold AA meetings in the local bar or a weight watchers meeting at a bakery. All of the formers I know of are OK around cigarettes NOW but it took them some time to get past wanting one every second. I know people who were like your Dad...they quit and the craving never went away...I also know a couple who smoked a lot for years and woke up day and said 'I'm done' threw them out and never looked back. I even know one or two who smoke when they are around other smokers - when they aren't they can go weeks/months without wanting one. These people are warped.

Cigarettes are around...I walk through the smoking area when I go building to building at work. The carton of cigarettes (sealed pack is different than an open one somehow) is about a two feet from me right now. It isn't like I"m in a bubble...but I don't think right now I could sit around the old patio table with Mr. Windsor while he smoked and not REALLY want one. Not sure if I'd have one or not, but I"m not ready to risk that. One of things any quitting program I've ever seen has you do is get rid of all the ashtrays ,cigarettes etc and stay away from smoking situations. Of course they also tell you never ever to have another (like AA and never having another drink) that is true for most people (almost all of the 'I quit and went back' people I know started with 'one...just one' and it was game over)...the opposite of that is my buddy Lynne who quit a three pack a day habit 12 years ago...except for 2. One with a morning coffee, one before bed. She never goes beyond 2 - hasn't in 12 years. She's warped too. :D
I have a twisted brother-in-law like your friend, Lynne.
It does sound as though you are in the resistive situation, and you are doing very well with it. Kudos and keep up the good work.
We're all in your camp! :-bd
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 27th, 2009, 9:24 pm

captmojo wrote: I have a twisted brother-in-law like your friend, Lynne.
It does sound as though you are in the resistive situation, and you are doing very well with it. Kudos and keep up the good work.

Some people are just twisted! :D I figure whatever works to quit - do it. I wonder how long before I turn into one of those obnoxious ex-smokers :-bd
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » August 27th, 2009, 9:42 pm

windsor wrote:
captmojo wrote: I have a twisted brother-in-law like your friend, Lynne.

Some people are just twisted! :D I figure whatever works to quit - do it. I wonder how long before I turn into one of those obnoxious ex-smokers :-bd
I don't think you'll turn into an obnoxious ex-smoker. My mom and I never have. I know where the smokers are coming from and I don't want to make them feel worse. Been there.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 2nd, 2009, 7:40 am

3 WEEKS TODAY!!

not that I'm bragging or anything....and my ample posterior isn't getting any more ample - another plus.

Perhaps I am done with the :ymdevil: things!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 2nd, 2009, 8:06 am

windsor wrote:3 WEEKS TODAY!!

not that I'm bragging or anything....and my ample posterior isn't getting any more ample - another plus.

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 2nd, 2009, 8:17 am

Definitely worth bragging about, windsor. Congrats! :ymparty:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 2nd, 2009, 8:22 am

ArkieDukie wrote:

Definitely worth bragging about, windsor. Congrats! :ymparty:
YAY, Congtratulations!!!!!!! Still sending vibes and prayers from VA!!!!!
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 2nd, 2009, 8:38 am

Three weeks is something to brag about! Way to go!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 2nd, 2009, 9:11 am

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Way to go!!! I'm so proud of you and admire your determination.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 2nd, 2009, 9:59 am

Your fourth week starts today!!!

How are the dogs doing with the change from cigs? :o3
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » September 2nd, 2009, 10:14 am

Great job Windsor, I'm very happy for you!!!
-- DukeUsul
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 2nd, 2009, 10:21 am

Big celebration from down here in ATL, too. Way to go, windsor!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 2nd, 2009, 11:12 am

Brag away - it is an amazing accomplishment! Keep up the good work.
Life is good!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 2nd, 2009, 11:29 am

You're not bragging. You made a statement of what you have done!!! Great job!!! :D :D
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 2nd, 2009, 1:50 pm

I am so proud of your determination to quit and your success in executing your plan. YAY, Windsor!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 2nd, 2009, 3:28 pm

Lavabe wrote:Your fourth week starts today!!!

The dogs are getting more walks and more frisbee time! I'd say that makes them pretty happy.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 9th, 2009, 4:19 am

windsor wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Your fourth week starts today!!!

The dogs are getting more walks and more frisbee time! I'd say that makes them pretty happy.
Another week down?

Umm... could it be that you've just completed your first month?

If so...
WOO-HOO!!!!!! :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: \m/ \m/ \m/
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 9th, 2009, 7:31 am

YES! Month number one is in the books! Only the occassional craving - and the 'habit' part is starting to fade away... :-bd :-bd :-bd
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 9th, 2009, 9:19 am

windsor wrote:YES! Month number one is in the books! Only the occassional craving - and the 'habit' part is starting to fade away... :-bd :-bd :-bd
Excellent! Three cheers for you!