Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Best beer for chili?

Post by CathyCA » September 4th, 2009, 7:46 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
knights68 wrote:
knights68 wrote:I have been entered (drafted) into a chili cook-off next week. I have a great recipe, only I am not sure what is the best beer to use for this dish.
So tell me my wise friends out there,,, What is THE best beer to user in Chili??
PS, thats beer IN the chili, not with the chili (it is, afterall, chili for work)
Bud Light. Gotta do something with it. =)) =)) =)) =))

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: The Recipe Thread

Post by bjornolf » September 7th, 2009, 10:34 am

We need a CTN cookbook. Maybe a DBR one too. Maybe we should have a recipe for "how to cook Rhymes with Columbo".

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » September 7th, 2009, 11:47 am

bjornolf wrote:We need a CTN cookbook. Maybe a DBR one too. Maybe we should have a recipe for "how to cook Rhymes with Columbo".

%%-
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this thread a CTN cookbook, so to speak?
You can search the thread for a particular ingrediant or recipe, correct?
I haven't tried it, but I just assumed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 7th, 2009, 11:57 am

knights68 wrote:
bjornolf wrote:We need a CTN cookbook. Maybe a DBR one too. Maybe we should have a recipe for "how to cook Rhymes with Columbo".

%%-
You have assumed correctly. Are your tailgate ribs in here?
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 7th, 2009, 11:57 am

%%-
I think the method for preparing that dish will be filed under either broil or fry. As for ingredients, no rub is needed since the main ingredient fails to respond to any known common techniques or ingredients.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 7th, 2009, 11:59 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:

%%-
I think the method for preparing that dish will be filed under either broil or fry. As for ingredients, no rub is needed since the main ingredient fails to respond to any known common techniques or ingredients.
:)) :)) =)) =))

My suggestion would be DEEP-fried... :roll:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
knights68

Post by knights68 » September 7th, 2009, 12:07 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: You have assumed correctly. Are your tailgate ribs in here?
hhmmm, no they are not.
I best get on the ball here then eh? lol
knights68

Post by knights68 » September 7th, 2009, 12:09 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote: I think the method for preparing that dish will be filed under either broil or fry. As for ingredients, no rub is needed since the main ingredient fails to respond to any known common techniques or ingredients.
I personally like the "filet" then broil method for dumboesque like things.
No rub is needed as the rub is preexisting! lol :))
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » September 7th, 2009, 4:07 pm

So we picked up a flat iron steak on sale at HT this past week. Gonna grill it up tonight. This is my first time with one. I'm seeing recommendations to treat it like a skirt, hanger or flank steak. People saying to marinade or rub it. Since it's my first time with one, I think I'm going to do something simple. Either just salt/pepper or maybe just a light rub.

Anyone have recommendations?
-- DukeUsul
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » September 7th, 2009, 4:17 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
knights68 wrote:

%%-
You have assumed correctly. Are your tailgate ribs in here?
Uh oh, Knights68, you fell into that one! So when is the recipe going to be posted? :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w :D
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 7th, 2009, 4:20 pm

knights68 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: You have assumed correctly. Are your tailgate ribs in here?
hhmmm, no they are not.
I best get on the ball here then eh? lol
Yes you best...... I wanna know about TNTDevil brisket recipe also. I've NEVER made one, but would love to try!!!! It looked fab-tastic!!!! Along with Knights68's rib pic!

I hear'd that everyone one was talking about that brisket & the TV!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 7th, 2009, 4:26 pm

DukeUsul wrote:So we picked up a flat iron steak on sale at HT this past week. Gonna grill it up tonight. This is my first time with one. I'm seeing recommendations to treat it like a skirt, hanger or flank steak. People saying to marinade or rub it. Since it's my first time with one, I think I'm going to do something simple. Either just salt/pepper or maybe just a light rub.

I would also put some Worcestershire sauce on it and lots of garlic salt!!!
knights68

Post by knights68 » September 7th, 2009, 4:58 pm

DukeUsul wrote:So we picked up a flat iron steak on sale at HT this past week. Gonna grill it up tonight. This is my first time with one. I'm seeing recommendations to treat it like a skirt, hanger or flank steak. People saying to marinade or rub it. Since it's my first time with one, I think I'm going to do something simple. Either just salt/pepper or maybe just a light rub.

\

If I may, should you opt for the rub, put the rub on one side only. This will ensure the rub doesn't overpower the steaks natural yumminess and makes for a good balance.

Marinate 1/2 hour before hand will make for a tender and awesome steak!
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 7th, 2009, 5:07 pm

knights68 wrote:

\

If I may, should you opt for the rub, put the rub on one side only. This will ensure the rub doesn't overpower the steaks natural yumminess and makes for a good balance.

Marinate 1/2 hour before hand will make for a tender and awesome steak!
Don't forget the advice from captmojo: allow the cut of meat to come to room temperature and massage it well before adding any rub. The meat will be more tender and more flavorful. I tried it and the technique works!
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » September 8th, 2009, 9:08 am

knights68 wrote:I have been entered (drafted) into a chili cook-off next week. I have a great recipe, only I am not sure what is the best beer to use for this dish.
So tell me my wise friends out there,,, What is THE best beer to user in Chili??
1. I am so happy you'll be at the chili cookoff. I assume you're going to Havelock right? Say hi to my old town.
2. I am so jealous you'll be at the chili cookoff.

Hard to recommend a beer for a specific recipe but definitely avoid Bud Light (sorry Oz) or any other comparable American-style lagers. Stick with an ale that you enjoying drinking. Cooking with beer is like cooking with wine; if you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it!

Have fun and do some recon for me! :p
sMiles
knights68

Post by knights68 » September 8th, 2009, 10:54 am

Miles wrote: 1. I am so happy you'll be at the chili cookoff. I assume you're going to Havelock right? Say hi to my old town.
Nope, not exactly. The chili cookoff is at the office, where I work. Myself and 5 others have entered this little cookoff. I entered thinking this will be good practice.
Miles wrote: 2. I am so jealous you'll be at the chili cookoff.
At "A" chili cookoff. Sorry to douse your happiness and envy... lol
Miles wrote: Hard to recommend a beer for a specific recipe but definitely avoid Bud Light (sorry Oz) or any other comparable American-style lagers. Stick with an ale that you enjoying drinking. Cooking with beer is like cooking with wine; if you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it!p
Opted for Sam Adams Honey Port, but the store was out. So I went with a German brewed dark beer (with Honey). I have a few bottles left over if anyone is interested in trying on on the 19th! lol
Miles

Post by Miles » September 8th, 2009, 10:58 am

knights68 wrote:
Miles wrote: 1. I am so happy you'll be at the chili cookoff. I assume you're going to Havelock right? Say hi to my old town.
Nope, not exactly. The chili cookoff is at the office, where I work. Myself and 5 others have entered this little cookoff. I entered thinking this will be good practice.
Miles wrote: 2. I am so jealous you'll be at the chili cookoff.
At "A" chili cookoff. Sorry to douse your happiness and envy... lol
Miles wrote: Hard to recommend a beer for a specific recipe but definitely avoid Bud Light (sorry Oz) or any other comparable American-style lagers. Stick with an ale that you enjoying drinking. Cooking with beer is like cooking with wine; if you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it!p
Opted for Sam Adams Honey Port, but the store was out. So I went with a German brewed dark beer (with Honey). I have a few bottles left over if anyone is interested in trying on on the 19th! lol
A company chili cookoff is still awesome so I'm still happy for ya, though you are right, the jealousy has subsided. I love the idea of the Honey Port/GBDB(with honey). Do you reduce it down and concentrate the flavor?
Have fun!
sMiles
knights68

Post by knights68 » September 8th, 2009, 11:17 am

Miles wrote: Do you reduce it down and concentrate the flavor?
Have fun!
Yeah man, absolutely! Cook down the beer in with the meat and onions (say half an hour?) and then pour it all in the crock pot with the beans, tomatoes and spices. It friggin rocks.

I just looked at the competition (a field of 6.... one of which is the Prez of the company). The field looks weak and I believe at the least I'll take 3rd and the best will be first. The golden cup and bragging rights are within my grasp... I can practically smell it!!! :lol:
knights68

Chili Cook-off results

Post by knights68 » September 8th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Seems I came in first.... at being last! :(
I forgot to whom the majority of voters would be, I suppose.
You see, where I work there are about 70-80 people. Oddly enough of that many people, there are only about 12 guys!
And of the women who inhabit the building between 8 am and 5 pm, 80% are over 40 years old.
What does this mean?

It means that such a demographic has little appreciation for a robust, hearty chili with two kinds of meat and three kinds of beans!
And I do not believe they appreciated the beer equation.... I know I know, I was shocked too.

Jeez, I didn't make the chili spicy hot, I figured that would be enough.

So I came in sixth in a field of six.
The winner was a chicken and white beam chili (a farcical concoction!)
2nd place.... the Prez of the company with his quaint little bland chili (Until today, he was the Susan Lucci of Chili cookoffs)
And third place was a chili cheese dip (can you say IN A BOTTLE?!!)
I wont even bother mentioning fourth and fifth place. [-x

I am bummed, I wont mind admitting. But at least I got 11 votes (3 of which within my own dept (of 3... including myself)).

Bah Humbug [-(
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Chili Cook-off results

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 8th, 2009, 5:06 pm

knights68 wrote: I am bummed, I wont mind admitting. But at least I got 11 votes (3 of which within my own dept (of 3... including myself)).
[-(
I'm looking forward to us getting some at brunchgate. We know winning food when we see it.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.