Atlanta Braves 2010 Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Atlanta Braves 2010 Thread

Post by EarlJam » October 9th, 2010, 9:20 pm

wilson wrote:Well, that one's enough to bring even me out of the woodwork.
No fewer than half a dozen players played crucial roles in last night's incredible win (and for the record, I don't think think they're clearing space in Cooperstown for a single one of them):

-Derrek Lee with two runs scored and a good half-dozen outs saved with deft glovework at first
-Alex Gonzalez with the game-tying double
-Brooks Conrad with the perfect sac bunt to set up Gonzo's 2 RBIs
-Troy Glaus with the mental wherewithal, perfect positioning, and perfect fielding to start the 10th-inning DP
-Kyle Farnsworth with an adventuresome, but in the end effective, 5-out performance for the win (with zero notice, coming in from the bench, rather than the bullpen)
-Rick Ankiel, for obvious reasons

It really does rank up there with all of the most memorable gutted-out victories of the past 20 years, and it's a beautiful encapsulation of the way this team has done business all year long.

As for the closer situation, it obviously sucks that it appears Wags is done. However, I for one have supreme confidence in a two-headed monster of Johnny Venters and Craig Kimbrel, and in Bobby's ability to deploy them very effectively according to the situation.

GO BRAVES!!!
:chief: :chief: :chief: :chief: :chief: :chief: :chief: :chief: :chief: :chief:
Wilson, you need your own column in the AJC. Perfectly written. Great re-cap. And hey man, welcome back. Not sure why you've been gone for so long but please, stick around. You're too valuable and appreciated here not to contribue. This special place's cup can never be "filled" without your contributions. And we all want and need a full cup!

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » October 10th, 2010, 8:32 pm

Well, THAT was one gi-fruck-ing-gantic metaphorical kick in the nuts.

-EarlJam
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » October 11th, 2010, 11:21 pm

Cathartic stream of conscious typing for therapy's sake:

Braves lost. Damn. I want to laugh. I need to laugh. Jon Stewart is funny. Watching him now. I already miss Bobby Cox. I'm sitting in a chair. I have had four beers. Yes, only four. Sigh. My guitar is next to me. I have lit a candle. Yes, I lit a candle. It smells good and I am not gay. My lamp shade is crooked. It is 11:16 p.m.

How did I end up here? I think I need to lose a few pounds. I'll do it. As soon as I get out of this funk. All the news is bad. The only thing people care about now is there own grasp at power. I like vegetables a lot. Especially those,......well, not "especially," but I do like those ones that come in the pack that you microwave and eat in cheese or citris or asian sauce. I know. Sodium. Cry me a river.

Tomorrow is another day. Another day. Another day. And stil, another day. Blah, blah, blah.

Parachute jumping would be cool. My adreniline sac is dead. Did I misspell adreneline? Did I misspell "misspell?"

Do vitamins really work?

I'm just a dude. Just want peace of mind. Is that bad? I have not had corn hash in a long time but saw it at the store today and am now craving it.

Johnny Knoxville is now on Jon Stewart. I must watch this. The movie Jackass admittedly intrigues me.
Miles

Post by Miles » October 12th, 2010, 1:15 am

EarlJam wrote:Cathartic stream of conscious typing for therapy's sake:

Braves lost. Damn. I want to laugh. I need to laugh. Jon Stewart is funny. Watching him now. I already miss Bobby Cox. I'm sitting in a chair. I have had four beers. Yes, only four. Sigh. My guitar is next to me. I have lit a candle. Yes, I lit a candle. It smells good and I am not gay. My lamp shade is crooked. It is 11:16 p.m.

How did I end up here? I think I need to lose a few pounds. I'll do it. As soon as I get out of this funk. All the news is bad. The only thing people care about now is there own grasp at power. I like vegetables a lot. Especially those,......well, not "especially," but I do like those ones that come in the pack that you microwave and eat in cheese or citris or asian sauce. I know. Sodium. Cry me a river.

Tomorrow is another day. Another day. Another day. And stil, another day. Blah, blah, blah.

Parachute jumping would be cool. My adreniline sac is dead. Did I misspell adreneline? Did I misspell "misspell?"

Do vitamins really work?

I'm just a dude. Just want peace of mind. Is that bad? I have not had corn hash in a long time but saw it at the store today and am now craving it.

Johnny Knoxville is now on Jon Stewart. I must watch this. The movie Jackass admittedly intrigues me.
Jackass movies make me laugh.
Cox's last few hours as a Brave's employee were touching and heartfelt.
sMiles
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 12th, 2010, 10:44 am

Well that sucked.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 12th, 2010, 6:53 pm

Lavabe wrote:Well that sucked.
It still sucks.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » October 12th, 2010, 8:37 pm

It sucks but would you believe that they would make it this far without the roster stars they lost to injuries?
Bobby Cox is still a big winner in my book. And one day I may have a book. Just a little warning. :twitch:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"