LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by lawgrad91 » August 25th, 2010, 10:29 pm

TillyGalore wrote:Is the criminal case against your client? I think I need more details as I just don't understand how a prosecutor could possibly think they could get away with this. Do they, present company excluded of course, really think other lawyers are that dumb?
Typically it isn't the prosecutors who think our learned colleagues are stupid. It's the police who KNOW the defendants did it, and don't worry about little things like the Constitution.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 25th, 2010, 10:34 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Took my parents, brother, SIL, and nephew out to dinner for my mom's birthday. Indian. Oh it was so good. An I'm stuffed.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.
Which Indian restaurant? Dan's?
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 25th, 2010, 10:35 pm

Quite a crowd here at the moment.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 25th, 2010, 10:36 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:Is the criminal case against your client? I think I need more details as I just don't understand how a prosecutor could possibly think they could get away with this. Do they, present company excluded of course, really think other lawyers are that dumb?
Typically it isn't the prosecutors who think our learned colleagues are stupid. It's the police who KNOW the defendants did it, and don't worry about little things like the Constitution.
This case involved cross warrants. Neither Defendant wished to testify against the other as they are now having a baby together. We were in DV court. Rather than dismissing the cases, the prosecutor had to call each to testify. After stating their names and other identifying information, each Defendant asserted the 5th A.

It's a little unusual, in that most prosecutors, knowing beforehand that the witnesses won't be testifying against each other, simply dismiss the case. But our DA's office has a policy of not dismissing any cases in DV court. So, we had to go through the extra step of coaching our clients on how to assert their 5th A rights.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 25th, 2010, 10:43 pm

CathyCA wrote:This case involved cross warrants. Neither Defendant wished to testify against the other as they are now having a baby together. We were in DV court. Rather than dismissing the cases, the prosecutor had to call each to testify. After stating their names and other identifying information, each Defendant asserted the 5th A.

It's a little unusual, in that most prosecutors, knowing beforehand that the witnesses won't be testifying against each other, simply dismiss the case. But our DA's office has a policy of not dismissing any cases in DV court. So, we had to go through the extra step of coaching our clients on how to assert their 5th A rights.
Technically, we aren't supposed to drop DV cases in VA. Like in most places, though, the people who make the laws don't have a clue how they actually work in practice, so if defense attorneys tell me their clients aren't going to testify against each other, I ask to dismiss. The judge usually asks for one defendant, or both, to pay costs, and they usually agree to do so.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 25th, 2010, 11:12 pm

What a busy month for us. At the lake place for 6 days, mountain house for 5 days and Myrtle Beach for 9 days. Bud had to go to Panama City Mon. and will return tomorrow. Oh yeah, we leave tomorrow for Kenansville to met my cousins from Va. Beach and Texas. We all go to Emerald Ilse to DukePa's house Fri. Glory be, Bud & I come home Sunday and collapse.
:Stop: :ymsigh:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 25th, 2010, 11:14 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:This case involved cross warrants. Neither Defendant wished to testify against the other as they are now having a baby together. We were in DV court. Rather than dismissing the cases, the prosecutor had to call each to testify. After stating their names and other identifying information, each Defendant asserted the 5th A.

Technically, we aren't supposed to drop DV cases in VA. Like in most places, though, the people who make the laws don't have a clue how they actually work in practice, so if defense attorneys tell me their clients aren't going to testify against each other, I ask to dismiss. The judge usually asks for one defendant, or both, to pay costs, and they usually agree to do so.
And trust me, I totally understand why the policy of not dismissing DV cases exists. It was simply one more hoop that I had to jump through, even though the dismissal seemed perfectly obvious, and yet I had to do the whole 5th A thing with my client.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 25th, 2010, 11:28 pm

We had one of those lovely DV cases to blow up in our faces, where the parties made up and the following week he got mad and killed her houseguest, who was a teenaged friend of her daughter's. I worry about that every time the parties make up but there isn't much I can do about it.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 25th, 2010, 11:29 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:What a busy month for us. At the lake place for 6 days, mountain house for 5 days and Myrtle Beach for 9 days. Bud had to go to Panama City Mon. and will return tomorrow. Oh yeah, we leave tomorrow for Kenansville to met my cousins from Va. Beach and Texas. We all go to Emerald Ilse to DukePa's house Fri. Glory be, Bud & I come home Sunday and collapse.
:Stop: :ymsigh:
How cool! You will have a well earned rest...what will Harley be doing?
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 25th, 2010, 11:42 pm

We're still up in NJ and went to a new place called Monsoon in Mt Laurel.

-- DukeUsul
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 26th, 2010, 7:07 am

lawgrad91 wrote:We had one of those lovely DV cases to blow up in our faces, where the parties made up and the following week he got mad and killed her houseguest, who was a teenaged friend of her daughter's. I worry about that every time the parties make up but there isn't much I can do about it.
And that's exactly why our DA doesn't dismiss any DV matter. Period.

~ James Naismith
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 26th, 2010, 7:33 am

CathyCA wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:We had one of those lovely DV cases to blow up in our faces, where the parties made up and the following week he got mad and killed her houseguest, who was a teenaged friend of her daughter's. I worry about that every time the parties make up but there isn't much I can do about it.
CathyCA, Lawgrad91, thank you for the explanations, now I get it. Well, most of it. What does DV stand for?
I worship the Blue Devil!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 26th, 2010, 7:42 am

DukeUsul wrote:We're still up in NJ and went to a new place called Monsoon in Mt Laurel.

That's getting really close to where I grew up.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 26th, 2010, 7:47 am

TillyGalore wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
CathyCA, Lawgrad91, thank you for the explanations, now I get it. Well, most of it. What does DV stand for?
I'm pretty sure it is Domestic Violence. :-o
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 26th, 2010, 8:22 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
CathyCA wrote: And that's exactly why our DA doesn't dismiss any DV matter. Period.
I sure as hell hope they are not talking about Dick Vitale. 8-|
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 26th, 2010, 8:32 am

Today I tried a pear apple ... which is really a pear. :-?

If I wanted a pear, I'd have eaten a pear, probably a Bartlet. Why do they think that pear apples are any better than a pear? /:)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 26th, 2010, 9:18 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:CathyCA, Lawgrad91, thank you for the explanations, now I get it. Well, most of it. What does DV stand for?
Good answer, Ozzie! DV is domestic violence, except during basketball season, where the other DV causes people to want to commit domestic violence.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » August 26th, 2010, 9:37 am

devildeac wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:We're still up in NJ and went to a new place called Monsoon in Mt Laurel.

That's getting really close to where I grew up.
Yes, we are very close to where you grew up. :-)
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 26th, 2010, 9:41 am

Lavabe wrote:Today I tried a pear apple ... which is really a pear. :-?

If I wanted a pear, I'd have eaten a pear, probably a Bartlet. Why do they think that pear apples are any better than a pear? /:)
If it is really a pear, then it should be called an apple pear, letting the apple part being the descriptive for the fact that it's still a pear. Harris Teeter had pears on sale this morning, I passed them by. I don't like pears. (Unless they're in a can...don't know why.)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 26th, 2010, 9:48 am

Lavabe wrote:Today I tried a pear apple ... which is really a pear. :-?

I love a good Nashi. Must be the exposure during elementary school in Japan. I like that I can get them in the States now.
Life is good!