LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » August 5th, 2010, 7:45 am

captmojo wrote:Anybody know the penalties for stealing chickens? :))
I'm not a prosecutor, but I know one who frequents these parts. Maybe she knows!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 5th, 2010, 7:45 am

devildeac wrote:
Personal fowls are called.
#-o
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 5th, 2010, 8:06 am

Miles wrote:
Lavabe wrote:I am tired of CGI graphics in movies. :-B
You and me both. I'm tired of producers/directors/writers thinking that CGI is a substitute for a great story, great acting, great script, great whatever.

Yes, I'm talking to you James Cameron.
You mean, CGI isn't the same thing as cinematography? #-o

DANG!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 5th, 2010, 8:08 am

devildeac wrote:
Awesome! :))
:duke:
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » August 5th, 2010, 8:12 am

Lavabe wrote:
Miles wrote:
Lavabe wrote:I am tired of CGI graphics in movies. :-B
You and me both. I'm tired of producers/directors/writers thinking that CGI is a substitute for a great story, great acting, great script, great whatever.

Yes, I'm talking to you James Cameron.
You mean, CGI isn't the same thing as cinematography? #-o

DANG!
Sadly, I think the Academy recognizes it as such, and so do the Hollywood bigwigs. Kelly and I are going through our Netflix account and front-loading it with classic movies. This weekend we'll be watching "The French Connection". No CGI there!
sMiles
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 5th, 2010, 8:28 am

Miles wrote:Sadly, I think the Academy recognizes it as such, and so do the Hollywood bigwigs. Kelly and I are going through our Netflix account and front-loading it with classic movies. This weekend we'll be watching "The French Connection". No CGI there!
One of the benefits of the 16 hour flight from Jo-burg to Atlanta was the movie selection. I decided to load up on Oscar nominated/winning performances. I finally got to see WALL STREET and NORMA RAE. Simply stellar performances. French Connection was an option, but I chose MONTY PYTHON instead (had to get something light after those two movies). Got to finish up with Patton.

Wow... real film-making with no 3-D/CGI crap!!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 5th, 2010, 8:52 am

Lavabe wrote:Movie review: Over-rated. (-|
Agreed. Granted, it's being hailed as "the best movie EVAR!!!!" by some, so to me over-rated means it was just very good.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 5th, 2010, 8:59 am

Lavabe wrote: Wow... real film-making with no 3-D/CGI crap!!
I think real film-making can be loaded with CGI. It takes incredible talent and artistry to bring what isn't there to life. George Lucas went overboard with it in the prequels, and in my opinion didn't use it very well.
Steven Speilberg used it to perfection in Jurassic Park.
Titanic wouldn't have been the same movie without it, and I love Cameron's ability to create an entirely new, fascinating and yet believable world in Avatar. A really good film maker will be able to use the CGI to enhance the film or tell the story he otherwise couldn't. I find nothing wrong with that.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 5th, 2010, 9:44 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
I think real film-making can be loaded with CGI. It takes incredible talent and artistry to bring what isn't there to life. George Lucas went overboard with it in the prequels, and in my opinion didn't use it very well.
Titanic wouldn't have been the same movie without it, and I love Cameron's ability to create an entirely new, fascinating and yet believable world in Avatar. A really good film maker will be able to use the CGI to enhance the film or tell the story he otherwise couldn't. I find nothing wrong with that.
I understand your points. And if I want to see Jurassic Park, I would at least expect that. Or if I go to a fantasy movie, I expect it there.

Where I dislike it (and why I got tired and bored with Inception) is when the movie-maker relies on it in lieu of actual photography. Here you have a big movie with precious little photography actually filling up the cinema. I love landscapes. I love seeing a photographer's work fill up the cinema. I don't dismiss the need for art direction and cgi; they can be helpful. But if I want to see THE MATRIX or TRON or AVATAR or any other movie that relies on it ad nauseum, I'll go see it. I was not prepared for it in Inception.

And at a certain point, I agree with you... it's overkill. In the case of Inception, I felt it also distracted from the actual dialog and interaction of actors. In Inception, I was looking for acting among the ensemble... I rarely got it. In how many frames did I actually get two actors actually acting with each other? And it need not be just the two faces in the screen. Maybe it was just me, but the lack of full-body shots of DiCaprio and Cotillard in the same frame just BAFFLED me.

For the amount of attention paid to the cgi, I felt the folks at Inception skimped on film editing, cinematography, and just overall acting.

Pretty much as Usul stated earlier, for a movie to be billed as highly as this one was, I felt it was only a good or very good movie. And after seeing a series of Oscar-winning performances back-to-back, I felt this movie lacked GREATEST MOVIE EVAR status on many categories, including the ones that matter most to me.
Miles

Post by Miles » August 5th, 2010, 9:58 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Agreed on most points. My only qualms with Avatar, and they're huge qualms, is that ALL the movie offered was an entirely new, fascinating and yet believable world. Every other aspect of filmmaking that I enjoy and care about were almost non-existent.

I don't think Lucas went overboard with CGI, that's too big of a net to cast. A lot of the CGI in the Star Wars Prequels was awesome. For me, it was that damn Jar-Jar BInks that spoiled the fun, among a few other issues. The CGI that royally sucked was in the digitally remastered, remakes of Episodes IV - VI.
sMiles
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 5th, 2010, 10:22 am

devildeac wrote:
8-} 8-} 8-}
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 5th, 2010, 10:43 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:
8-} 8-} 8-}
Hey, what did you eggpect from a Duke-related sports site? :|
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 5th, 2010, 1:54 pm

Miles wrote: I don't think Lucas went overboard with CGI, that's too big of a net to cast. A lot of the CGI in the Star Wars Prequels was awesome. For me, it was that damn Jar-Jar BInks that spoiled the fun, among a few other issues. The CGI that royally sucked was in the digitally remastered, remakes of Episodes IV - VI.
I won't even watch the digitally remastered remakes. I saw them in the theater when I was at Duke, and I was pretty disappointed. The scene in the cantina TOTALLY broke my heart. =(( Han Solo was a scoundrel in the beginning. One of the best parts of those movies is his character development and his turning his life around. That HORRIBLE piece of CGI to add in a totally unbelievable shot by Greedo just, well it just X( me. I bought the version that has the original theatrical release as a bonus feature, and that's the version I watch.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 5th, 2010, 1:58 pm

Lavabe wrote:Movie review: Over-rated. (-|
Note to Marion Cotillard: Get that mole removed from your forehead. :ymsick:
Note to Movie Tavern: It's 90 freakin degrees outside... turn on the AC. :ymtongue:
Note to Movie Tavern: Turn the volume down just a LITTLE bit, please? %-(
Note to self: Psycho-thrillers aren't my cup of tea. :asleep:
I am tired of CGI graphics in movies. :-B

I rarely watch movies and I honestly cannot remember the last time I was in a theater.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 5th, 2010, 1:59 pm

I think it probably depends on what you do with them afterwards (South Park reference in there).
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 5th, 2010, 2:05 pm

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote: Personal fowls are called.
8-} 8-} 8-}
Hey, what did you eggpect from a Duke-related sports site? :|
It's a technical fowl!

Sorry, smilies aren't working well on iTouch.

In VA stealing fowl is a felony larceny if the chickens are worth more than $5, punishable by up to 20 years in prison. It's a misdemeanor if worth less. I would think any chicken would be worth more than $5 but it's probably a holdover from the days of the hallowed Thomas Jefferson.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 5th, 2010, 2:31 pm

lawgrad91 wrote: In VA stealing fowl is a felony larceny if the chickens are worth more than $5, punishable by up to 20 years in prison. It's a misdemeanor if worth less. I would think any chicken would be worth more than $5 but it's probably a holdover from the days of the hallowed Thomas Jefferson.
There's some pretty fancy shmancy chickens at the state fair..I bet they are worth more than $5...my guess is they can get pretty pricey like dog breeds. I wonder how hard it is to steal a live chicken. They run away and have a built in alarm. :bandit: :Police:
Miles

Post by Miles » August 5th, 2010, 2:58 pm

On a conference call with a customer and they just said: "Cant you do that auto-magically?"
Got a good chuckle out of me.
sMiles
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 5th, 2010, 3:00 pm

Miles wrote:On a conference call with a customer and they just said: "Cant you do that auto-magically?"
Got a good chuckle out of me.
You mean you can't?

Is that part of the TAMO step of a process?
Life is good!
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » August 5th, 2010, 3:09 pm

devildeac wrote:

=)) :)) =)) :)) =)) :)) **== :alien:

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.