LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by ArkieDukie » June 8th, 2009, 10:25 pm

bjornolf wrote:I may have broken my toe last night. I'll probably lose my other big toe nail. :(( At least they'll match. I definitely jammed it bad enough that I'll be in pain for the next five weeks or so. I had to take my car to my parents late last night, and my battery was dead. I jumped it with the mini-van, then pulled it back. The battery was SO dead that when I turned on the headlights, the engine died again. So, I got out to move the minivan out into the driveway to jumpstart it again, and my shoes were wet cause it was raining so hard. When I stepped on the floor of my garage, my right foot slid right out from under me. My left knee buckled and my left big toe SLAMMED into the flood lip of the garage floor right as I came down on it with all my weight in a very awkward approximation of the hurdler stretch. My nail has turned bright purple, and the whole toe is swelling up. I took five motrin about an hour ago, but with my liver, it's already worn off. Man, it hurts like a you-know-what. I've got it wrapped in an ace bandage to try to protect and compress it, but it's not helping too much. I'll live, but walking is NO fun right now. ;)

%%-
Ouch! Hope the toe is feeling better, bjornolf!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 8th, 2009, 10:32 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Some of you have heard this already, if you're on Windsor's facebook friend list. But just in case you're not, this is not to be missed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5z4Vs26-TI
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
That's frakkin' hilarious! :)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 8th, 2009, 10:35 pm

Sue71 wrote:Does anyone here watch Army Wives? It starts back tonight.
I'm a fan of Army Wives. I have the new episode on my DVR but haven't watched it yet.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 8th, 2009, 10:42 pm

I'm ba-ack! I had a fun time in Philly and in Jersey. The suggestions for things to do were quite handy. My hotel was next to the Reading Terminal Market, so I went there several times. Lunch the first day in Philly was a Reuben from Hershel's Deli (in the middle of the market). Easily the best corned beef I've ever had. I got pretzels on 2 separate occasions and also got ice cream at Bassett's. Also got a cheese steak at one of the places in RTM; never made it to the touristy places. It was pretty darn good, though. Got to play tourist; there are lots of pictures on my Facebook page.

My friends surprised me with a trip to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Lots of pictures of that trip as well.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 8th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Here's a funny story. I finished up my poster the day before leaving for Philly and uploaded it to the Fedex-Kinko's website to be printed at the Kinko's next to the Pennsylvania Convention Center. I made the poster in PowerPoint, which means it was a scaled version. When I uploaded, I attached a note with instructions to print it at 200%. On my way home from work on Friday, I got a phone call from someone at the Philly Kinko's, telling me that they couldn't print the poster at 200%. I asked, "Well, can you double it?" The response I got was, "Yes, we can do that." (No, I didn't laugh until after I hung up the phone.) :ugeek: =)) :ugeek:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 8th, 2009, 10:49 pm

Miles, welcome back! Hope that the pile of work shrinks in a reasonable amount of time.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 8th, 2009, 10:54 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Here's a funny story. I finished up my poster the day before leaving for Philly and uploaded it to the Fedex-Kinko's website to be printed at the Kinko's next to the Pennsylvania Convention Center. I made the poster in PowerPoint, which means it was a scaled version. When I uploaded, I attached a note with instructions to print it at 200%. On my way home from work on Friday, I got a phone call from someone at the Philly Kinko's, telling me that they couldn't print the poster at 200%. I asked, "Well, can you double it?" The response I got was, "Yes, we can do that." (No, I didn't laugh until after I hung up the phone.) :ugeek: =)) :ugeek:
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 8th, 2009, 11:45 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I'm ba-ack! I had a fun time in Philly and in Jersey. The suggestions for things to do were quite handy. My hotel was next to the Reading Terminal Market, so I went there several times. Lunch the first day in Philly was a Reuben from Hershel's Deli (in the middle of the market). Easily the best corned beef I've ever had. I got pretzels on 2 separate occasions and also got ice cream at Bassett's. Also got a cheese steak at one of the places in RTM; never made it to the touristy places. It was pretty darn good, though. Got to play tourist; there are lots of pictures on my Facebook page.

My friends surprised me with a trip to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Lots of pictures of that trip as well.
Hershel's Deli! That's the place I was talking about. Glad you liked it. I think I rated it 8F's - some day you've got to try Carnegie's corned beef, and of course their pastrami!

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island - not quite around the corner from downtown Philly, but well worth the time!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 9th, 2009, 8:47 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: I think I rated it 8F's - some day you've got to try Carnegie's corned beef, and of course their pastrami!

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island - not quite around the corner from downtown Philly, but well worth the time!

Moment of silence (with head bowed in reverence) for the Carnegie Deli's corned beef and pastrami. The standard by which all others are judged (and found wanting)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 9th, 2009, 8:57 am

I don't know. I always thought that Carnegie's was a little over-rated. They've fallen into the trap of being too popular for their own good. There's a deli here in Fairfax run by a guy that moved down here from New York for work and was so disgusted by the lack of a good deli that he opened his own. I think his sandwiches are better than Carnegie's, personally.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 9th, 2009, 9:21 am

bjornolf wrote:I don't know. I always thought that Carnegie's was a little over-rated. They've fallen into the trap of being too popular for their own good. There's a deli here in Fairfax run by a guy that moved down here from New York for work and was so disgusted by the lack of a good deli that he opened his own. I think his sandwiches are better than Carnegie's, personally.

%%-
I applaud his efforts! 8-) He was right to start his own deli. B-) B-)

Unless he buys his corned beef and pastrami from the Carnegie, this is not possible. Carnegie cures the meats themselves, so other than buying the raw beef, it is a unique product. Are the sandwiches in Fairfax as big as Carnegie's, or close to it? Regular sized sandwiches are the scourge of the south.

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 9th, 2009, 9:57 am

They have regular size, and then ginormous size. And then they have the skyscraper. They'll give you free dessert if you finish it and still want some. It's got two kinds of meat (pastrami and corned beef are the most popular). I'm TEMPTED to say the big regular one is larger than Carnegie's, but I never stacked them up next to each other, so I wouldn't bet the mortgage on it. The skyscraper is DEFINITELY bigger. That thing is INSANE. Even the regular size one is MUCH larger than any corn beef or pastrami sandwich you get around here. And I believe this deli cures their own as well, but I could be wrong about that.

%%-
Last edited by bjornolf on June 9th, 2009, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 9th, 2009, 10:03 am

Here's their website:

http://www.chutzpahdeli.com/

They also have a location over in Vienna, VA (as opposed to It'ly), as well.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 9th, 2009, 10:20 am

I am so craving a Woody.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » June 9th, 2009, 10:40 am

Sometimes I'm in the mood for a Shammrog poll even when it's not Friday.

Hey Sue, why don't you move to the East Coast? (Kidding on the square.)
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » June 9th, 2009, 10:41 am

TillyGalore wrote:I am so craving a Woody.
As long as it's not Woody Allen, OK by me!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » June 9th, 2009, 10:42 am

Oh and bjornolf? I'm down a big toe nail, all the way to the quick. It doesn't hurt unless somebody steps on it. Hope yours is feeling better.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » June 9th, 2009, 10:43 am

I'm in a real baby mood today. Anybody got one they'd let me borrow for a couple of hours? Spoiling promised.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 9th, 2009, 10:49 am

Bostondevil wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:I am so craving a Woody.
As long as it's not Woody Allen, OK by me!
That is precisely what I am craving. A Woody Allen from Carnegie Deli. Ymm Carnegie Deli corned beef and pastrami. It's almost better than chocolate.
I worship the Blue Devil!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 9th, 2009, 10:57 am

bjornolf wrote:Here's their website:

http://www.chutzpahdeli.com/

They also have a location over in Vienna, VA (as opposed to It'ly), as well.

%%-
OK, I'm impressed. They even have Hebrew National salami! What they don't have on the web site is pictures of the sandwiches :( . I'm tempted to drive up for dinner, but I have a softball game tonight. (Note: I tweaked a calf muscle last night and can't run, but they need my body there, standing still, just to have enough players to not forfeit tonight as several other players can't be there tonight. No gross pictures to post on this injury :lol: )

Maybe lunch tomorrow!