LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » July 9th, 2010, 9:41 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I had a fun time at work today. We've been working on a big project for a pharmaceutical company in CA; they have a drug candidate (we didn't have the structure, only the formula) that was covalently attaching to their target protein. After a couple of months of work, I got the answer this week - nailed it down to the exact site where the molecule is attached. We got to spring it on them at our weekly 6:00 pm conference call. Stunned them into silence. It was great fun! I just love solving difficult problems. (I could tell you which drug company and other info, but then I'd have to kill you. ;) )

Funny but true: when I figured out the answer, I sent all the evidence to my boss in an e-mail message with the subject line, "Holy flashing neon signs, Batman!"
CONGRATULATIONS! ^:)^
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 9th, 2010, 9:49 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I had a fun time at work today. We've been working on a big project for a pharmaceutical company in CA; they have a drug candidate (we didn't have the structure, only the formula) that was covalently attaching to their target protein. After a couple of months of work, I got the answer this week - nailed it down to the exact site where the molecule is attached. We got to spring it on them at our weekly 6:00 pm conference call. Stunned them into silence. It was great fun! I just love solving difficult problems. (I could tell you which drug company and other info, but then I'd have to kill you. ;) )

Funny but true: when I figured out the answer, I sent all the evidence to my boss in an e-mail message with the subject line, "Holy flashing neon signs, Batman!"
Way cool!
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 9th, 2010, 9:51 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: (I could tell you which drug company and other info, but then I'd have to kill you. ;) )
I've just become to clean to die...tell me no more. Good work, though!
If DukePA can be serviced by this new wonder...if not, be she healed!
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 9th, 2010, 10:57 pm

Congratulations, AD, on the holy flashing neon signs. It is great when you solve a problem you have been working on for a while.

I had forgotten about Ted Drewes. I hope I remember it when we get to St. Louis. Stopping there will depend on how much money kids have left. We provide $5 for each meal on the road. Anything over that they have to have the cash. End of the trip could be interesting.

I'll give you a call when i have an idea of when we will be getting into St. Louis.
Life is good!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 10th, 2010, 7:38 am

^:)^ :Clap:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 10th, 2010, 7:39 am

I now know how Twerps fans felt watching Jason Williams. I had to watch the Reds go into the bottom of the 9th with a 7-1 lead only to lose in the bottom of the 10th 9-7.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 10th, 2010, 7:40 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I now know how Twerps fans felt watching Jason Williams. I had to watch the Reds go into the bottom of the 9th with a 7-1 lead only to lose in the bottom of the 10th 9-7.
That's quite a collapse.

The twerps deserved it though. :D
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 10th, 2010, 10:15 am

Thanks for the congrats, all!

Last night I spoke with my friend that works for the pharmaceutical company. Apparently our results were quite timely; she's been catching lots of heat. The people above her tell her quite often that our results will reflect directly on her (sending shin kicks). Now they're taking credit for the idea of having us solve the mystery for them. Sounds way too much like my last job - bad ideas belonged to someone else; good ideas were his idea (sending shin kicks to my old boss). So glad I don't work in that kind of environment. My boss actually let me make the presentation yesterday. He's made all of the others. \:d/
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 10th, 2010, 10:21 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Thanks for the congrats, all!

Last night I spoke with my friend that works for the pharmaceutical company. Apparently our results were quite timely; she's been catching lots of heat. The people above her tell her quite often that our results will reflect directly on her (sending shin kicks). Now they're taking credit for the idea of having us solve the mystery for them. Sounds way too much like my last job - bad ideas belonged to someone else; good ideas were his idea (sending shin kicks to my old boss). So glad I don't work in that kind of environment. My boss actually let me make the presentation yesterday. He's made all of the others. \:d/
Shin kicks to the previous bastard bosses, congrats again to you! :Clap:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 10th, 2010, 11:25 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I now know how Twerps fans felt watching Jason Williams. I had to watch the Reds go into the bottom of the 9th with a 7-1 lead only to lose in the bottom of the 10th 9-7.
Just watched the collapse on Sports Center. Ouch! Reminds me of a couple or three of Yankee games from last month or two - on both ends of the come back, but mostly on the good side!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » July 10th, 2010, 11:45 am

Sitting on the porch in little egg harbor nj. Light rain. Reading ctn on my new Droid. Can't wait to take the boat out once the rain ends.
-- DukeUsul
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 10th, 2010, 11:50 am

DukeUsul wrote:Sitting on the porch in little egg harbor nj. Light rain. Reading ctn on my new Droid. Can't wait to take the boat out once the rain ends.
Don't drop your new phone overboard. Those Droids can't swim (or walk out of the swamp on the bottom)! =))

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 10th, 2010, 1:00 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Sitting on the porch in little egg harbor nj. Light rain. Reading ctn on my new Droid. Can't wait to take the boat out once the rain ends.
Congrats on the new Driod! How do you like it? I've heard great things about them.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 10th, 2010, 1:02 pm

My official celebratory splurge has been decided: I just bought a ticket for tomorrow's performance of "Wicked" at the Fox Theatre. Tomorrow is the last day, so the seats aren't that great (at least, I don't think so-rear orchestra) but I'll be there!
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 10th, 2010, 1:09 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:My official celebratory splurge has been decided: I just bought a ticket for tomorrow's performance of "Wicked" at the Fox Theatre. Tomorrow is the last day, so the seats aren't that great (at least, I don't think so-rear orchestra) but I'll be there!
Have fun. I haven't had the chance to see it, but I know DD and wife went, I think a couple other posters have as well. It looks great.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » July 10th, 2010, 1:09 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Congrats on the new Driod! How do you like it? I've heard great things about them.
Love it. Lisa is also very happy making the switch from her 1st gen iPhone. Only complaint might be the battery life. :D
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » July 10th, 2010, 1:12 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:My official celebratory splurge has been decided: I just bought a ticket for tomorrow's performance of "Wicked" at the Fox Theatre. Tomorrow is the last day, so the seats aren't that great (at least, I don't think so-rear orchestra) but I'll be there!
We saw it at the durham performing arts center. I thought it was great.
-- DukeUsul
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 10th, 2010, 1:32 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Love it. Lisa is also very happy making the switch from her 1st gen iPhone. Only complaint might be the battery life. :D
Make sure you get an ap killer as one of your aps! Use it every time before you close/turn off your display. It's made a big difference on my MotoDroid, although I still charge it almost every night. Mine is called "Task Panel" and a Verizon salesman downloaded it free from the marketplace for me. Aps running in the background, like your browser or map program, eat battery life like crazy.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 10th, 2010, 1:46 pm

Go pick some good southern NJ blueberries. They should be delicious this time of year. Seriously. That was my summer job on weekends when I turned 14. Bought my 1st set of golf clubs with the money I earned that summer. Must have used those clubs for 10-15 years.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 10th, 2010, 1:53 pm

Listen to the CD and read the lyrics before you go and you'll understand some of the subtleties of the stories a bit better. Or at least it helped me as I can be a bit dense and deaf at times :ymblushing: . Seriously. Great show. You should enjoy it immensely. Those seats don't sound too bad. We have season tix for the Broadway series at the Derm Performing Arts Center (aka DPAC) and ours are rear orchestra. We did upgrade to the 5th row ( :D :D ) for Phantom this year for $5-7 per ticket (got lucky) and also changed our date and night and paid a bunch more for Wicked. Still worth it. Put a review up if you have time. Please :D .