Milestones

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Milestones

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 22nd, 2009, 8:03 pm

wilson wrote:1588: The English fleet, under the command of Lord Charles Howard, Lord Howard of Effingham, and most famously, Sir Francis Drake, meets the Spanish Armada in several skirmishes, and with the help of the "Protestant wind" and several other fortuitous turns of fortune, crushes its adversary, securing English security against Catholic Continental enemies and paving the way for later English and British naval and international supremacy.
Wow, What an awesome painting!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 22nd, 2009, 8:14 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
wilson wrote:1588: The English fleet, under the command of Lord Charles Howard, Lord Howard of Effingham, and most famously, Sir Francis Drake, meets the Spanish Armada in several skirmishes, and with the help of the "Protestant wind" and several other fortuitous turns of fortune, crushes its adversary, securing English security against Catholic Continental enemies and paving the way for later English and British naval and international supremacy.
Wow, What an awesome painting!
Yes...unfortunately, rather inaccurate. All of the direct confrontations between the English fleet and the Spanish Armada were rather low-grade. Weather and other ill fortune doomed the Spaniards far more than anything else.*

*Important exception to this statement: In 1587, Francis Drake led a raid on the Spanish fleet, anchored at Càdiz. He sacked and/or destroyed a good portion of the Armada preparing in the port, captured a Spanish treasure fleet homeward bound from the Azores, and most importantly, burned an entire fleet's worth of barrel staves. The Armada had actually been planning to sail upon England in 1587, but Drake's raid delayed them by an entire year. When they finally departed in 1588, they were at less than the strength they enjoyed before Drake's marauding, and nearly all of the fleet's barrels were constructed of incompletely seasoned, "green" wood. This led to the extensive spoilage of the Spaniards' water and other provisions and further impacted the Armada's already weakened effort. Moreover, Drake had bought his homeland another entire year to prepare its defenses, and England was much better prepared to defend itself against the approaching Catholic menace.
Drake referred to his raid as the "singing of the King of Spain's beard," and this far lesser known "little brother" of sorts to the Armada clash contributed mightily to Drake's "black legend" in Spain and his heroic image in England.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 8:53 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:And this would be:
Boeing 767400-k60699.jpg
Great pix, YBT!
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 22nd, 2009, 9:06 pm

Available at Boeing's website. 777 BTW:
Attachments
Boeing 777_freighter_k63170.jpg
Freighter version = no windows I guess the packages don't need to see where they are going.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 22nd, 2009, 9:34 pm

1603: Upon the death of Elizabeth I, James VI of Scotland/James I of England assumes the throne and unites the crowns of the two nations.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 22nd, 2009, 9:49 pm

1605: Guy Fawkes' infamous Gunpowder Plot, in which he and his conspirators planned to blow up the Houses of Parliament, assassinate King James, abduct the royal family, and induce broad-based rebellion, is thwarted. The plot makes freedom of religion for English Catholics even more unthinkable than it had previously been and sparks a new wave of English patriotism. Today, Guy Fawkes day, November 5, is celebrated as an occasion of deliverance of the crown and the Protestant nation.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 22nd, 2009, 11:02 pm

This is post 787. But I won't post a picture of the dreamliner. Those jokers at Boeing still haven't gotten one flying yet. We here in the US made fun of Airbus as they were working on the A380 and ran into many delays. Payback is a bitch.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 23rd, 2009, 8:09 pm

1627: English colonists become the first settlers on Barbados, giving their nation a foothold against the Spanish in the Caribbean, helping to set the stage for the American plantation enterprise, and inadvertently transforming wilson's life. ;)
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 23rd, 2009, 8:14 pm

In 681BC, Lakoosa, brave of the Heckawi nation, fell off the back of a large bison and was heard to say...
"COWS IS TASTY!"
3:-O :D
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 23rd, 2009, 8:31 pm

captmojo wrote:In 681BC, Lakoosa, brave of the Heckawi nation, fell off the back of a large bison and was heard to say...
"COWS IS TASTY!"
Which reminds me of a favorite bumper stickers: I love animals!
They're delicious!

:-bd
Life is good!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 23rd, 2009, 8:35 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
captmojo wrote:In 681BC, Lakoosa, brave of the Heckawi nation, fell off the back of a large bison and was heard to say...
"COWS IS TASTY!"
They're delicious!

OR: there's plenty of room for all of God's creatures...

right next to the mashed potatoes... :)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 23rd, 2009, 8:37 pm

devildeac wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
"COWS IS TASTY!"
They're delicious!

OR: there's plenty of room for all of God's creatures...

right next to the mashed potatoes... :)) =))
Yes, that's the other one. We may have discussed this sometime in the past.
Life is good!
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » August 23rd, 2009, 9:06 pm

wilson wrote:1605: Guy Fawkes' infamous Gunpowder Plot, in which he and his conspirators planned to blow up the Houses of Parliament, assassinate King James, abduct the royal family, and induce broad-based rebellion, is thwarted. The plot makes freedom of religion for English Catholics even more unthinkable than it had previously been and sparks a new wave of English patriotism. Today, Guy Fawkes day, November 5, is celebrated as an occasion of deliverance of the crown and the Protestant nation.
The first Saturday in November was approaching the time of twilight, and the vast tract of unenclosed wild known as Egdon Heath embrowned itself moment by moment.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 23rd, 2009, 9:09 pm

Bostondevil wrote:
wilson wrote:1605: Guy Fawkes' infamous Gunpowder Plot, in which he and his conspirators planned to blow up the Houses of Parliament, assassinate King James, abduct the royal family, and induce broad-based rebellion, is thwarted. The plot makes freedom of religion for English Catholics even more unthinkable than it had previously been and sparks a new wave of English patriotism. Today, Guy Fawkes day, November 5, is celebrated as an occasion of deliverance of the crown and the Protestant nation.
The first Saturday in November was approaching the time of twilight, and the vast tract of unenclosed wild known as Egdon Heath embrowned itself moment by moment.
devildeac: Do you remember the Monty Python sketch in which the Pythons provide sportscast coverage of the writing of this famous line?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 23rd, 2009, 9:11 pm

1632: One-Eyed Willie, the pirate of legend in 'The Goonies', enjoys his most famous exploits and devises the series of puzzles and booby traps leading to his treasure, beginning with the doubloon/clue stamped with the date in question and found among Mr. Walsh's old treasures in the Walshes' attic.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » August 23rd, 2009, 9:11 pm

Perhaps I should have written it

The first Saturday IN November WAS approaching the time of twilight . . .

A very happy bank holiday crowd.

(What's the novel?)
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » August 23rd, 2009, 9:12 pm

And why did wilson's post remind me of it?
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 23rd, 2009, 9:44 pm

Bostondevil's post above was the 236th post in this thread. I bowled a 236 when I was 11. It was my high score until college, when I bowled a 255 in intramurals.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » August 23rd, 2009, 9:46 pm

Let's see. Another thread I refuse to read through. ;)
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 23rd, 2009, 9:48 pm

Sue71 wrote:Let's see. Another thread I refuse to read through. ;)
What does it say about my life that I'm proud of having started a message board thread that's gotten long enough to dissuade newcomers from reading all the way through it?